I Married The Anti-Mouse

Wow I am amazed at all the anti Disney spouses!!! I thought mine was the only one!!!

Our 2 grandsons love Disney, as I and their parents,but the grandfather will moan and groan and complain during discussion of any planning etc. but we have noticed that once he is there he will stay til the parks close with little complaining. but I do explain to him that there will be a time when they (grandsons) will no longer want to vacation with us:scared1: and to enjoy it while we can.:wizard:

When was your last family vacay and where did you go? Perhaps decide on a location you would ALL like to go this year...and then the next vacation is a Disney vacation. Cause, let's face it. I married the anti-mouse too. And then I divorced him. We moved to separate homes and now I love him more than I did before and our relationship is stronger than it ever was.

OMG.. FILE FOR A DIVORCE and be honest tell the judge the reason for the divorce. Just kidding.

If he is Anti-mouse now DON'T take him during Christmas when it will be very busy. That will make matters worse.

Also, I have found while you may never convert him to a Disney lover, a little lingerie can go a long way in terms of how he remembers his last vacation. Show him a whole new side of "Animal Kingdom". RAWR!

Can you talk to my wife? I can pretend to be anti-mouse.

It sounds like he does generally compromise enough to let you go to Disney sometimes...so you have to compromise with him this time to do something NON- Disney! :thumbsup2

Now, I love Disney...but there is a whole world out there that you could explore, too. :)

I agree with this. DH & I have completely different vacay styles. I'm a planner & he's a jump in the car & go guy. So, we alternate. I did all the planning for our European vacation & he took charge of our Colorado vacation this year.
Also, you couldn't pay me enough to go to Disney during Christmas break. From what I've heard of the crowds there is NO WAY!!

I'm the anti-mouse in this family. :scared1: The only time I truly love going is in the fall when I'm eating my way through Epcot at the Food & Wine Festival and enjoying all the old 80's music. :laughing: And please, for the love of keeping a marriage happy, do NOT take your anti-mouse husband to Disney the week after Christmas. That alone could doom all marriages!! :rotfl:

When was your last family vacay and where did you go? Perhaps decide on a location you would ALL like to go this year...and then the next vacation is a Disney vacation.
We take a lot of mini vacations - Hershey Park, Upstate, NY, etc. DH and kids are all hockey fans, so I was thinking of taking one or two weekend trips to watch the games in different arenas. I don't like hockey as much as my family but thought it would be a great family tradition and get to explore other cities.

OMG.. FILE FOR A DIVORCE and be honest tell the judge the reason for the divorce. Just kidding. If he is Anti-mouse now DON'T take him during Christmas when it will be very busy. That will make matters worse.
LOL, other than this "mouse thing" the man is a keeper :rotfl2: I totally agree about not going during Christmas break ... even I might become an anti-mouse!

Can you talk to my wife? I can pretend to be anti-mouse.
Dear Mrs. Arthur: You should read this thread to see how lucky you are! I hope this helps LOL

I'm the anti-mouse in this family. :scared1: The only time I truly love going is in the fall when I'm eating my way through Epcot at the Food & Wine Festival and enjoying all the old 80's music. :laughing: And please, for the love of keeping a marriage happy, do NOT take your anti-mouse husband to Disney the week after Christmas. That alone could doom all marriages!! :rotfl:

DH might be interested in the Food & Wine Festival if we go without the kids :thumbsup2

I successfully converted my anti-mouse spouse. I'm generally just happy being at WDW so I try to be flexible for DH. Also, we try to travel during the off season so crowds are low so we have ample time to do everything we both want to do. For DH, its all about the food, beer and golf. We found it works best for us to split up sometimes. If its football season, he heads to ESPN to catch the game and I'll walk World Showcase by myself. He would be resentful if he missed his beloved Bills and I would be resentful if I had to sit and watch football when I'm in WDW. He'll take a morning to play a round of golf and I try to hit up most of Animal Kingdom, which he isn't really a fan of. He has major say in restaurants because I'm not that picky. It might seem weird to some that we split up on vacation but its only a few hours here and there and it keeps everyone happy. He now likes going as much as I do, just won't readily admit it to most people :rotfl2:

I have to admit this, although I hate to on the DIS board but I was anti-Disney. I could NEVER in a million years imagine what all the hubaloo was about UNTIL my very 1st trip in 2007. Now I'm addicted. I talked my husband into DVC (which wasn't hard) & we've gone every year since. It's such a magical place. And now I can proudly admit I am one of those people that jumps up & down on the bed the night before we leave excited as all heck that we are going to Disney. My parents think I'm crazy but they've never been so I dismiss their attitude. My kids love it, my husband loves it, I LOVE IT!!!! :cool1:

My DH mentions today that maybe we could look into going away during the Christmas break this year :-)woohoo: collective excitement from the family) and then quickly adds "anywhere but Disney" :-)sad1: collective boos and grunts from the rest of us).

Now I'm not trying to figure out how to change his mind, I just wish he had the Disney bug like the rest of us and stop thinking of Mickey as the "other man". :rotfl:

Has anyone every known a person to grow to love Disney after disliking it so much at first?

The older my dh gets, the more he hates Disney. So, we take a family vacation (usually his choice) every year, and then the kids & I take a Disney trip. In 2010, I talked dh into going out West and I planned a 5 day trip to Disneyland in it. He was miserable during most of it, and we didn't see him that much. He REALLY HATES theme parks.

So, leave dh at home on your next WDW trip.

I think some key pointers to converting an anti-Mouse (keep in mind, mine is still in progress for the past 3 years when he went on his first trip with the family):

-Compromise on the length of stay. My DH does NOT like week long trips. I do short trips with him. Better than no trips! ;)
-Take him on a parents' only trip at least once and do all the adult things you don't normally do. Romance him.
-Allow him to drink beer without putting up a fuss. If my DH has a beer or two, he's happier than the kids at Disney!
-Down time is crucial. We used to do park open to close when I was a kid. DH hates this. We usually take an afternoon break or leave early from the parks.
-Take him to restaurants that he will love, especially if he appreciates good food.
-Find any other ways to integrate his interests. My DH is into running. We find resorts that have good running trails/places.

I'm not saying this will work on all anti-Mouses, but it is slowly converting mine. We recently took a 5 day trip at the CBR, with 5 day park tickets, with the free Dining Plan right before Christmas time. That was a major feat in my house (longer trip with a park every day? At a moderate Disney resort???? At a busy and cold time of year? I think the dining plan was what made it work.)

I feel ya. My Husband just came clean about hating Disney. I cried (seriously I did) We went to college in Orlando and had annual passes. We got married and yep you guessed it two weeks of Disney. We moved to NY had kids and came home to go to Disney every year not see the 70+ family members in Florida. We finally moved back to Florida last year and went to Disney within two weeks of being here and got annual passes. Our passes are up this fall so I booked free dining to renew using the tickets with the FD package and then he did it...came clean about how he feels. He told me how he enjoyed seeing how happy me and the kids are but Disney just doesn't do it for him and he feels like he hasn't had a vacation EVER. He says Disney is stressful and not relaxing, just like work!....:confused3. I had to cancel our trip and me and the kids are sooooo bummed out. He want's to camp, hike and do nature stuff....and no not at Disneys FW campgrounds. I already tried that :P I'm find myself everyday repricing out my old vacation on the computer. I'm so sick :sick:
I love him and all but I wouldn't have married an anti-mouse. He tricked me :rotfl2: Now we are celebrating 10 years of marriage and 2 kids. I think I'm gonna just have to make this work....:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter