• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I LOVE the podcast. But the in-park segments are awful.

Tonyz

How do ya do? Pretty good, sure as you're born!
It was a nice idea at first that seems to have gone on way too long. Sure, it gave us the instant-classic Tom Bell segment, but it hasn't been remotely interesting since then. It feels forced and unprepared. Pete asks the guys what they're doing. The guys say walking around. Riveting stuff. No one on the round table cares enough to join in, and why should they? There's no fodder for interesting conversation. It brings the show to a screeching halt.

Everything else about the show is perfect. But this, at least in my opinion, just doesn't work. What say you?

Not my fave part of the podcasts, if just done to be done, and don't really have something specific to show/showcase. I usually spend more time watching to see how bad the crowds are or something - maybe that's the object, when there isn't one? LOL. I also vote to DEFINITELY get each podcaster that's going to do them their own ear buds! :)

I'm going to go opposite on this one. I like when the Podcast flashes over to the guys in the park. I think it adds something to the video feed of the podcast. Plus it gives us an opportunity to see a couple of the guys who wouldn't have otherwise been on that week's podcast because they weren't in studio. The rapport the team has with one another is great... and who knows, we might just see something that we wouldn't have otherwise seen had they not been there. Keep it up guys!

I very much like the segments when there is a specific purpose or a prearranged topic ... I recall one where they were checking on the construction in DHS, specifically of Pizzarizzo, and another when Oliver went to check out the British goods for sale in the UK pavilion.

I do agree that when there doesn't seem to be a plan it sometimes becomes: Pete: "So what are you guys up to?" Ryno: "nothing much, just wandering" ... 5 seconds of silence - and that does mess with the flow I think

I really like the idea of going into the parks and sharing that with the audience - just the execution maybe wasn't always perfect

Agreed, it's not bad but could be better, if they mixed it up it might be more fun, such as Kathy and Teresa, Cory and Julie on a date, a Dreams TA staying on property or the famous Craig and Kylie duo!
But...the real problem is what's happening at Tuesday at 1 PM? Lunch? It's hard to get a great live shot that lands at the perfect moment.
I would suggest doing a pretaped segment, then it can feature a variety of podcasters and SOMETHING happening, be it the flag ceremony, Kiss Goodnight, a rare character walking around, an interview with a CM supervisor or a street performer or a quick restaurant review.
Maybe just a best fun movement or blooper of the week in the parks.

For example, I would absolutely love to see them try the $99 secret nachos at Pecos Bills!! But it's only available in the afternoons. It's sounds like it's a pretty cool extra with a special table, a little show and drinks included for a crowd. This would be a great one for all the producers and Will, Kylie or Charles could tag along. Maybe a fun kick for a Patron giver or a webmaster so we can see them too and say hi :wave: This would be a great park segment but would need to be pretaped.

I very much like the segments when there is a specific purpose or a prearranged topic ... I recall one where they were checking on the construction in DHS, specifically of Pizzarizzo, and another when Oliver went to check out the British goods for sale in the UK pavilion.

I do agree that when there doesn't seem to be a plan it sometimes becomes: Pete: "So what are you guys up to?" Ryno: "nothing much, just wandering" ... 5 seconds of silence - and that does mess with the flow I think
This is exactly how I feel. I think doing the live in-park segments is fine, but it needs to have some purpose. Just cutting away to Steve and Ryno wandering aimlessly doesn't add anything to the show. Have them focus on a particular ride, show, shop, or restaurant. If there is something new, showcase that. If not, maybe a hidden gem or lesser known experience. Or just a favorite snack item. Something specific and prearranged though. They don't need to have a script. Just a plan regarding what they will talk about. And by all means, get a headphone splitter so each of them can have their own pair of earbuds. I think they cost about $5 on Amazon.

Seriously, nothing bad on Steve or Ryno, it's just impossible to time Pete cutting to them in time for a princess appearance at the GF, a street performance or the Dapper Dans helping with a marriage proposal, or them riding Dumbo.
They could stand in line for 40 minutes on IASW and then the news runs over and is late cutting to them and they are standing outside after going, "well we were TRYING to get this."
Just tape it.

I agree with all of the comments above. The in-park segments could be great if they were to focus on something specific, not... "I've got fast passes to Space Mountain later". The pre-taped sequence idea is a good one, but I think it would be difficult for the crew as they already have a lot of videos that they already tape for their youtube channel. +1 to Ryno and his insights on the podcast in the past.

I was a fan early on when they were doing the "make Oliver do something ridiculous" segments in the "crank yankers" sort of way...at least they were entertaining. Now I feel like it's just something to do because they can, although I do enjoy seeing who is out in the parks.
I feel about the in park segments during the show the same way I feel about the "vlogs" that have replaced the post Dustin "in depth discussion" on the show and the John/Kevin dining reviews....meh.

I skip over them but do agree the way they started when there was a topic ready to talk about it was better. also the quality is getting worse and worse.

I like the concept but I feel they could be better executed. Like some other have said they are better when they are showing something new or something specific. When they are just in the park they aren't as good.

I don't often watch the podcast and mostly listen to it I don't relly enjoy the in park segment as an audio portion of the show unless it is something actually relevant like talking about construction or something like that other then that they shouldn't bother with it.

My husband feels the same way about park segments. I can take or leave them... Unless they have Oliver dong silly stunts :-)

I think they're silly on the video because half the time the audio quality is only okay on them. I think they should have a plan like showing a couple minutes or use the time to talk about the little changes that are happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter