• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expedia is regarded as the absolute worst in the travel industry when dealing with third party reservations specifically. Check out r/talesfromthefrontdesk on Reddit to read the thousands of stories of Expedia screwing things up. Problem after problem here at my resort comes from Expedia and the hotel cannot do anything about it because they take up such a big market share of any wholesale/third party bookings.

Story time on how horrible Expedia is: Last week we had sold out of rooms and closed out all third parties to prevent overselling. Everywhere in town was sold out. For some reason, Expedia decided to open our resort without approval and book 10 rooms when we were already at capacity. Expedia calls and tries to confirm the 10 rooms in which we denied because we would be oversold (we do not walk guests... at all). Even better, the agent tries to charge us a "relocation fee" because they had to relocate the guest. We dug around and eventually found out that they were going around from resort to resort doing the same thing because everywhere was sold out. :rolleyes2

I would definitely let Chase know as this isn't uncommon.

Kind of a random complaint but Expedia was completely useless when I had to get my husband's name on our reservation for China. The require you to provide hotel reservations when you apply for your visa(s) and so we HAD to have BOTH names. They don't have a field for this, so when I made the reservations it just had my name and said 2 adults. I contacted Expedia and asked them to add his name and they said they couldn't but they would contact the hotel and have them do it. Instead all they did was send an email to me that said he was going too. I didn't think that was good enough to I contacted the hotel myself but of course they could not add him as it was through Expedia. I ended up just canceling everything and rebooking direct with the hotels to make sure our visa app went through. It took maybe 5 seconds for the hotels to do it or they had fields for both of our names. I *could* cancel those and go back to Expedia but it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth that they couldn't do something so simple for us.

Afternoon DISchurners...I have a non-Disney award travel question for you.

I've been planning a tentative trip to England. I've been before but mostly stuck to London, and I'd really like to go to Stratford-Upon-Avon, Stonehenge, Oxford, maybe Liverpool if we can get enough time off, in addition to hitting some of the highlights in London again. If anyone has done a trip like this, would you say it would be better to be based out of London for 3-4 day trips, or to travel from town to town, e.g. London to Oxford to Stratford to Bath? Especially interested to hear which strategy would be best if we are trying to stay at hotels mostly on points.

We may switch it up and do Japan instead that year, since that would be harder to do with kids in the future, but wanted to know what the experts think!

Safeway coupons for MC and Visa GCs. $10 off 2 50s, 15 off 2 100s. MC expires 11/10, Visa 11/17
I’ve never purchased them before but seems like a good way to help with my Plat MSR. Since there’s 4 coupons, can I purchase all 8 GCs (4 Visa and 4 MC) at one time? I could use them to pay my stylist tomorrow since she doesn’t take AmEx.

ETA: Do the coupons automatically come off when I give them my phone #? Clearly, a newbie to this!

Last edited:

I’ve never purchased them before but seems like a good way to help with my Plat MSR. Since there’s 4 coupons, can I purchase all 8 GCs (4 Visa and 4 MC) at one time? I could use them to pay my stylist tomorrow since she doesn’t take AmEx.

That’ll work.

ETA: Do the coupons automatically come off when I give them my phone #? Clearly, a newbie to this!

when i bought the Happy Guy GC, the savings wont show until they hit total... you can ask them about it just incase but i was a bit worried when it doesnt take the savings off. cashier was like, maybe it will take the savings off when i hit total which it did.

That’ll work.
Yes, provided you saved the coupons to your account matching that phone number before you type it in. The savings comes off automatically.

when i bought the Happy Guy GC, the savings wont show until they hit total... you can ask them about it just incase but i was a bit worried when it doesnt take the savings off. cashier was like, maybe it will take the savings off when i hit total which it did.

Thanks! Off to Safeway tomorrow before I go see my stylist at 10 am.

Darn it! I need to hit MSR on the Plat by 12/8 and my spa day with the girls isn’t until 12/10 so that 2k+ in spend won’t be in time. Now to come up with another plan!

My US Bank biz Edge has $400 in pending rewards! This was the offer that was $200 reward for $1k MSR, and additional $200 for each employee meeting the same MSR. Not bad for $2k in spend! I wasn't sure if the employee card bonus would actually work, but looks like it did! :banana: I wish I could remember who posted about this offer, I can't remember who it was but thank you!

Question to you credit card experts - I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card that is up for renewal in December. I signed up during the 100,000 point promotion a couple of years ago. I've used up most of those points on airfare, plus the ones that I've earned since. I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to pay the $450 annual fee again. Yes, I'll easily use the $300 travel credit so the fee is really only $150/year. My DH and I do use the Priority Pass perk when we fly, about four times a year. I'm also aware of Chase's travel protection perk. We do not eat out a huge amount but do travel some so we accrue a decent amount of UR points but nothing super huge. If I cancel this card can I move the UR points that I still have (about 14,0000) to another Chase card? Honestly my grand plan was to sign up for Southwest cards again to get to Companion Pass level, but they've ruined that with the no double dipping on personal cards. I don't have a business and I'm retired so I cannot get a business card to go with.

+1 to everything @Lain and @Albort said :) It's a little scary not seeing it come off until they hit total but as long as you add the coupons first and enter the right phone number it pops right up. You can see it before you pay so if something goes wrong you should be able to back out.
It's per account so I did make hubby an account for his phone number and did it twice when we needed to hit MSR.

Per DoC Chase is rolling out chase offers on all cards the week of Nov 11. Says it'll be based on spend not age etc like Amex. Not sure how that will work. Will be interesting to see what they have.

I finally did the Wal-Mart Grocery $10 off $50 Amex offer. Hopefully it goes through without any issues since I know there were originally problems with it crediting. I never buy groceries from Wal-Mart and didn't order any produce, but I ordered a couple things I know we'll need for Thanksgiving that I can either freeze or will shelf stable until then (hello, cranberry sauce).
This is such a good idea. Got my non perishable items like stuffing, uncooked macaroni, cranberry sauce, gravy, tomato sauce etc...plus fresh items like cheeses. Got 23 items for $50.24. I received the email immediately saying I used my Amex offer. Thanks for the reminder to check for this.

Question to you credit card experts - I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card that is up for renewal in December. I signed up during the 100,000 point promotion a couple of years ago. I've used up most of those points on airfare, plus the ones that I've earned since. I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to pay the $450 annual fee again. Yes, I'll easily use the $300 travel credit so the fee is really only $150/year. My DH and I do use the Priority Pass perk when we fly, about four times a year. I'm also aware of Chase's travel protection perk. We do not eat out a huge amount but do travel some so we accrue a decent amount of UR points but nothing super huge. If I cancel this card can I move the UR points that I still have (about 14,0000) to another Chase card? Honestly my grand plan was to sign up for Southwest cards again to get to Companion Pass level, but they've ruined that with the no double dipping on personal cards. I don't have a business and I'm retired so I cannot get a business card to go with.

instead of cancelling your card, u could product change your CSR to a freedom card or Freedom unlimited or even a chase sapphire. The points will go with it. You can also consider other premium cards such as amex plat for lounge access or wait for the prestige to come out. Endless ways of going. You dont really need a legit "business" to get a business card... a lot of us here have "businesses" aka ebay selling.

Another thing worth mentioning, if u happen to need a travel card, u can always upgrade your downgraded card back to the CSR. hope that helps!

+1 to everything @Lain and @Albort said :) It's a little scary not seeing it come off until they hit total but as long as you add the coupons first and enter the right phone number it pops right up. You can see it before you pay so if something goes wrong you should be able to back out.
It's per account so I did make hubby an account for his phone number and did it twice when we needed to hit MSR.
Thanks! Hubby has an account now also. Maybe DS needs one also :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter