I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd need more vacation from a job in banking, it would drive me nuts! I work in healthcare.

Have a great vacation!
To reduce my stress I try to limit my actual working hours to 6 per day LOL. Needless to say it's been a pretty great year in this job haha.

Healthcare certainly can have perks (albeit different ones I'm sure). Thanks for the kind words :)

Thanks will check to see what the cost of points is on the site. Trying to use points if possible as long as the cost difference isnt too much.

Will work on the csr on Monday unless something comes up.

Great, looks like my CSR account number was somehow stolen and it’s been used in Indianapolis. Thanks to Chase Fraud Protection they caught the second transaction that was made. The first was $5 in parking and the 2nd was for gas. It’s perplexing how they could have made these purchases without the card. Now to call Chase in the morning to dispute the parking charge and get them to expedite a replacement card since we have dine out frequently and have lots of upcoming travel.

Looking for advice on my next move. Starting in March 2017 I got the AA Citi card, Spg personal card, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Preferred business, Cap one Venture, and AA Aviator Barclays. Most recent card was approved on 9/11/17.
Older cards I currently hold are Chase Amazon, No fee Disney Visa, Discover it, and Chase Freedom all which are 3+ years old. I am also AU on DH’s Amex blue cash.

I have a few WDW trips coming up and was thinking it would be nice to have some cash options for things like food/drink since airfare/tix/hotel are covered.

What would you do next?

Looking for advice on my next move. Starting in March 2017 I got the AA Citi card, Spg personal card, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Preferred business, Cap one Venture, and AA Aviator Barclays. Most recent card was approved on 9/11/17.
Older cards I currently hold are Chase Amazon, No fee Disney Visa, Discover it, and Chase Freedom all which are 3+ years old. I am also AU on DH’s Amex blue cash.

I have a few WDW trips coming up and was thinking it would be nice to have some cash options for things like food/drink since airfare/tix/hotel are covered.

What would you do next?

My latest cash option, which I rarely bother with, was for the new BoA Premier travel card. $500 back for $3,000 spend in 3 months. $95 AF which is offset with a $100 airline incidental credit. It also gives you a $100 global entry/TSA credit.

My latest cash option, which I rarely bother with, was for the new BoA Premier travel card. $500 back for $3,000 spend in 3 months. $95 AF which is offset with a $100 airline incidental credit. It also gives you a $100 global entry/TSA credit.
That sounds interesting. Haven't heard much about that card

What would you do next?

For cash options, get a new card that works at Sam's Club (with whatever points/miles fit into your FUTURE trips) and buy a bunch of $500.00 Disney GC to get the 4% back. You could also play the Target game (or one of the other GC games that will net you a higher % off on Disney GCs) if you don't have a Sam's membership- but that's more work than it's worth for us. Or you could do the Sam's Plus where you get another 10 bucks back on every $500.00 so it increases the % off even more. We combine Disney GCs from Sam's with our TiW card and wind up eating and drinking quite well while onsite fairly inexpensively.

I don't see CSR on your list. You are beyond 5/24- but it might be worth taking a hit on your credit report from the hard pull to see if they will approve you. Early on they were approving people for that and the Ritz Carlton card since the AF is so high and they were 'making money' on those that don't use it wisely- but they may have changed that policy. Frankly I haven't been paying attention to what Chase does and does not let slip through anymore since they took away the ability for Private Clients to get extra cards even though we were past 5/24 (still sticks in my craw…). There seem to be some Disers here that are on top of their current rules- one of them may chime in.

Since you mentioned multiple upcoming trips- IMHO it makes more sense to bank points and miles for better redemption returns when the time comes to book your future trip(s). If you are set on cash back cards- there are plenty out there- we just don’t bother with them so the resident experts on those cards will have to help out.

Yup. I'd say about 95% of my flights in the last 5 years, all in first class, were booked 11 months out. The one time we booked less than 11 months out we wound up slumming it in business class to London :laughing: I think that was over a weekend to see the Harry Potter play. Clearly I've blocked the memory of that flight experience. I do recall the food was horrible in business on BA. Blech!

No, don't let go of any dreams just readjust. Go to plan B and mitigate with a combo of variable points to pay for the flights. Or, make the dream vacation for 2 years out and start planning for it now. No Way would I pay $2800 in coach with real money points. Hold tight for now. Get your points in place. Look beyond United and look at other variable points cards too.

Thanks so much for your help (and everyone who is helping me out with my travel plan/points accumulation!) So, I haven't let go of the dream. I am onto plan B. I shaved of the Vegas / Grand Canyon portion and now my trip is LA / DLR for 10 nights. I even found an incredible hotel in downtown LA and booked it through Expedia!! I can cancel 4 days before check in and haven't put any money down. It's called LEVEL and it's a luxury hotel with apartments. So, we got ourselves a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen, laundry in unit, and the hotel looks amazing with tons of amenities! Yay! I don't think they are affiliated with any hotel chain, though, so no accumulating or using points on this. But that's okay because it's $3,274.80 for 6 nights for a huge apartment!

So, I just had an idea! Why not get a Chase United card for my husband now, then get the CSR in January? That will give me a total of 80k united miles. I just looked up tickets and can get a business class ticket for 120k miles. I know there is no telling if those seats will be there but if I don't try I won't get, right? At the very least I may be able to fly Premium Class and use the miles that way. Then we'll each have 2 lounge passes so for once our entire family can enter the lounge and I won't have to just give those passes away!

I refuse to pull any trigger until I get the approval of the members of this thread! LOL!!

Thanks again! :)

That sounds interesting. Haven't heard much about that card

I saw the bloggers mention the card and I wouldn't have really thought to pick it up since I almost never do cash back. However, the timing was perfect. I was taking my family to WDW and treating them to V&A for my brother and niece's birthdays. I knew a party of 6 was easily going to meet most of the spend and would code for 2x points on that card. I applied for the card, got approved and had them overnight it to me. I saw it as a quick way to get $500+ off of my Victoria & Albert's dinner. My statement closed and the points were available so I was able to redeem them as a direct deposit into my BoA checking account.

This month I opened a Chase United Explorer card and added my dh as an authorized user. Can I apply for one for him as well, right now? I should not have added him as an authorized user and instead should have gotten one of his own. Is it too late?

Thanks!

What would you do next?

heh, lots of different ideas. my take would be to drop your CSP to a freedom unlimited, apply for the Barclay Uber card that would cover your dining category(4%). your Ink P would cover 3x travel and CFU covers "other" expenses.

The BOA card thats mentioned, it seems hard to use that incremental credit. its not a "travel" credit, its incremental, something has to happen. but i guess flyertalk/reddit might have some ways to get that out. its great though if you have the preferred member since earning 3.65x back on travel is really good! also $95 AF that comes with GE credit? thats pretty sweeet!

Great, looks like my CSR account number was somehow stolen and it’s been used in Indianapolis. Thanks to Chase Fraud Protection they caught the second transaction that was made. The first was $5 in parking and the 2nd was for gas. It’s perplexing how they could have made these purchases without the card. Now to call Chase in the morning to dispute the parking charge and get them to expedite a replacement card since we have dine out frequently and have lots of upcoming travel.

gas are still using stripe swipes, so chances are someone swiped your card there. they can also probably swipe because they arent required to use the chip.

Thanks so much for your help (and everyone who is helping me out with my travel plan/points accumulation!) So, I haven't let go of the dream. I am onto plan B. I shaved of the Vegas / Grand Canyon portion and now my trip is LA / DLR for 10 nights. I even found an incredible hotel in downtown LA and booked it through Expedia!! I can cancel 4 days before check in and haven't put any money down. It's called LEVEL and it's a luxury hotel with apartments. So, we got ourselves a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen, laundry in unit, and the hotel looks amazing with tons of amenities! Yay! I don't think they are affiliated with any hotel chain, though, so no accumulating or using points on this. But that's okay because it's $3,274.80 for 6 nights for a huge apartment!

So, I just had an idea! Why not get a Chase United card for my husband now, then get the CSR in January? That will give me a total of 80k united miles. I just looked up tickets and can get a business class ticket for 120k miles. I know there is no telling if those seats will be there but if I don't try I won't get, right? At the very least I may be able to fly Premium Class and use the miles that way. Then we'll each have 2 lounge passes so for once our entire family can enter the lounge and I won't have to just give those passes away!

I refuse to pull any trigger until I get the approval of the members of this thread! LOL!!

Thanks again! :)

that apartment does look incredible but honestly though, $500 a night seems a bit expensive. I feel like you would need to be out and about and $500 seems a bit excessive just to go back and sleep. Im not sure what your travel plans are though, id probably find places that are closer so you can get back to rest.

Make sure your counting your 5/24 slots. chase united is included in the 5/24. i probably get a CSR first then Chase united. but idk your situation.

We just ordered a replacement card also. We are closing my CSR and keeping dh's CSR but I wanted my own card. No one ever looks and if they do, I just say it's my dh's card. I requested the replacement online and didn't even have to talk to anyone.

Hope you are having a great time at WDW!!
Hmm, might have to look into this... my AF just posted on the 1st. I was thinking about downgrading it to a CSP to replace my no fee Barclay since DH has a CAR now, but maybe I'll try this and get a freedom instead... I think I'm going to pay my AF, use the new travel credit next month, and then downgrade.
Mine look similar but I used a label maker to print and added 2x, 5x or whatever
I love it! Right now Discover is his only rotating category card, so I think I can tell him if Discover is the same category he needs to use it instead of the other card...

gas are still using stripe swipes, so chances are someone swiped your card there. they can also probably swipe because they arent required to use the chip.

that apartment does look incredible but honestly though, $500 a night seems a bit expensive. I feel like you would need to be out and about and $500 seems a bit excessive just to go back and sleep. Im not sure what your travel plans are though, id probably find places that are closer so you can get back to rest.

Make sure your counting your 5/24 slots. chase united is included in the 5/24. i probably get a CSR first then Chase united. but idk your situation.

I completely agree that it's not a budget price. However, we do not like one room for the four of us. For our lifestyle the two rooms with a connecting door work best for us. This is better and cheaper (Sheraton would be $300 x 2 per night). We like our down time, too. My dh likes having space at night away from the kids and he stays up later than the rest of us. If we were to get two connecting rooms it would cost more, plus all the room service we would probably order for breakfast (the apartment has a kitchen). We are going to be going all over LA - Universal, Santa Monica Pier, Getty Museum, Hollywood....downtown LA puts us in a good spot.

As it is, at DLR two rooms puts us way over budget so we have to suffer in one room together there. ;)

So, being an authorized user counts toward that 5/25 ? I really don't want to pay the $450 annual fee (CSR fee) until next year. I know it doesn't make sense but in my mind I'm incurring a big cost and not getting the travel credit until next year (at my anniversary date). Does that make sense? $95 is easer to swallow (for the United Explorer card).

So, being an authorized user counts toward that 5/25 ? I really don't want to pay the $450 annual fee (CSR fee) until next year. I know it doesn't make sense but in my mind I'm incurring a big cost and not getting the travel credit until next year (at my anniversary date). Does that make sense? $95 is easer to swallow (for the United Explorer card).

it may count as part of the 5/24 but you can ask Chase to ignore it if they decline you the first time around. I wouldnt recommend adding any AU unless there is a promotion on it. even so, add the dog or cat.
If the CSR fee is too big, you can always get the CSP. its also $95 AF, waived for the first year, 2x on travel. Although the UA card has crappy earning potential, it does have a really good shopping portal. i think if ur a member, you get like 20% more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter