I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks worth getting, and with the travel credit (though it might just cover airline incidentals?) it could be worth keeping. 2.625% on everyday spend is the reason I picked the BoA Travel Rewards card for DH who doesn't want to carry more than 2-3 cards on him. For him, even the CFU + CSR combo only yields 2.25% so the BoA is better (only because of the Preferred Rewards boost). If Chase does away with the UR points transfers from Freedom/Unlimited --> CSP/CSR (rumors only at this point) then this new BoA would be the primary card for both of us. But I would still keep my CSR (or CSP) for the primary car rental coverage and built in trip insurance coverage. Currently, BoA doesn't compete in those areas.

Funny things count as travel with the BoA Travel Rewards card. In June, I bought a hat and candy at Universal Studios Hollywood, and both of those purchases counted as travel. Same trip, I paid for lunch at the Three Broomsticks with my CSR - only coded at 1x. Go figure.
If I can't transfer cf points to csr, I'm definitely looking elsewhere. That's how I justify the cost.

Good point on trip insurance and primary car rental coverage.

Last edited:
I have not had problems with the Citi AA card, just the business version. Although your problem seemed to be with AA themselves and I have found them rude on the phone. No issues with actual flights so I kept the card even though I was tempted to cancel before. I just try not to call. Lol.

It's true that the problem was with AA itself and not Citi. Although when I call to cancel the Citi card I will say that I have had several bad experiences with AA and am planning to travel more on other airlines so I don't need the AA card anymore. That's not wholly true because AA often has the best flight options for where we need to go, and we haven't had any more issues with the actual flights on AA than with other airlines. I was just looking for a silver lining to the horrible customer service conversation, and came up with "at least I know what to say when I cancel the AA credit card" (which I was planning to do anyway before the AF is due).

So if I buy Walmart gift cards online, can I use them to purchase Disney gift cards in store? I know I won't get 5% off but not a Sams Club member. It wouldn't really save money but I'd get points.

Last year there was an AmEx deal to sign up at Sams Club so it was free or discounted a lot. I was curious whether a membership there would make sense so I decided to try it. As it turns out, I will be renewing our membership because they carry the contacts my daughter wears at a price that's even better than Costco. If there are things that you buy at a warehouse type store, it might make sense to get a membership.

Last year there was an AmEx deal to sign up at Sams Club so it was free or discounted a lot. I was curious whether a membership there would make sense so I decided to try it. As it turns out, I will be renewing our membership because they carry the contacts my daughter wears at a price that's even better than Costco. If there are things that you buy at a warehouse type store, it might make sense to get a membership.
Mostly I avoid Walmart/Sam's due to ethical issues. But there are a few things I can't get elsewhere than Walmart. Have never stepped foot in a Sam's.
I figured I would order the shampoo I use and maybe throw in a gift card but I'll probably just skip the gift card.

I also see Sam's Club memberships discounted frequently from Slickdeals.

So if I buy Walmart gift cards online, can I use them to purchase Disney gift cards in store? I know I won't get 5% off but not a Sams Club member. It wouldn't really save money but I'd get points.

you know anyone with one? My mom and I have been switching back and worth since they always come out with a $45 deal($20+ a bunch of goodies). Its currently my mom's turn so ive been shopping at Sams Club with her name on it. I used them at the register before, they never say anything to me. haha

I joined Sam's Club last year when they were doing a promo for half off the membership for new members. I love that store. Whereas with Walmart I'm usually just ready to get done and get the heck out, going to Sam's is actually a treat. I don't go often, so maybe that's why. I love getting things like toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, body wash, trash bags, and other things that I can buy in bulk and keep in my storage room. I live alone, so the food items don't always work out for me, but the other stuff does. It's been almost a year since I joined, and on that first trip I got paper towels. I STILL have like five or six rolls of Bounty in the storage room.

They also have some decent deals on clothes at times. I got a fantastic pair of Nine West jeans a few weeks ago for $4.88.

And don't get me started on the chocolate-chocolate chip muffins. I think they're like 600 calories each. OMG. They're the devil!

I'm glad you got the portal bonus too. I have minimal success with ANY portals when purchasing gift cards (unless my purchase is from Raise, lol).

Getting the portal bonus remains to be seen. I figured I'd have a better shot with Avios than UR for gift card purchases since I haven't had to reach out and let them know I've got missing miles yet. I have had to do that with other portals.

this is beautiful! Question -when I go to app store- I see more than one 'chase pay ' option- the first just says chase pay,the second looks more legit and says chase mobile.....which is it? I'm thinking the 2nd? I'm leery that theres more than one...or.... it looks like mobile is for just banking...and I have to use the pay app

I didn't use the app but I did add it to my phone. I checked online to see which one it was first.

AHHHH I can't get this- so I can use chase pay through my regular computer to purchase at WM, thru a portal? but I have to get the app and setup thru my phone first...is this right? Do I need to do anything else for the 10x points? Or am I wrong and I have to purchase thru my phone only and the actual app?

I used my desk top computer to purchase.

I am trying to make my Walmart,com purchase with Chase Pay. I have it linked to my CSR but the check-out screen is showing a totally different last 4 digits and expiration date than my CSR. Does Chase Pay set-up a different account number that is linked to my CSR?

That's normal. Same thing happened on al 3 of my purchases.

Nice!! Was there any disclaimer on the Avios portal about gift cards being excluded?

Edit: I found this language on the portal:
Walmart: "Stated reward is for purchasing: Apparel. You will receive a lower reward on these products: Home, Auto & Home Improvement, Health, Baby, Grocery, Electronics, Video Games, Movies, Music, Books, Photo. No rewards given on: Purchase from Storms, Purchase from Sam’s club, Pharmacy, Tires, Financial services, Travel services, Optical, Internet services and Gift cards."
Sam's Club: "You will receive a lower reward on Electronics, Video Games, Office Supplies and Kitchen Electrics. No rewards given for gift card purchases, Gift Card Bundles or “Click’n’Pull” (pick up in store) items and tires."

I'll be interested to see if you get your points credited.

Yup. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm being optimistic.

I'm really tempted to cancel my Citi AA card at this moment too. Just spoke to the two rudest people I have encountered in a long time at American Airlines trying to get my known traveler number added to my AA frequent flier account. After the first rude person said she was transferring me, I thought things would get better but they actually got worse. The frequent flier person wanted to go through and confirm every single detail of my account even though I told him it was all correct. At one point he said, "I see you've been earning miles without actually flying. Would you care to tell me how you're doing that?" I was really tempted to say, "No, I wouldn't care to tell you that - all I care is that you fix my account so I get TSA precheck." But I figured I needed him to help me so I just said credit card spending. And in the end (after about a 45 minute phone call) all he said was he would submit the information to TSA and maybe it would get fixed and maybe it wouldn't. Super frustrated with AA right now.

Not sure you are aware but you can add your known traveler number online. Just log in to you account, click on "my account" on the drop down beneath AAdvangtage tab, then click information and password, scroll down and add it in the known traveler number box in the secured traveler section. We have our known traveler number added to all FF accounts and have done all of them online. Sorry you had to go through such a hassle and with rude people to boot. Hope this helps.

Sorry for asking a repeat question; but what all is this Walmart deal? Buy a WM gift card for $250 via online, using Chase Portal and using Chase Pay and you get 10 points per $1 spent in UR points? Then, spend WM Gift card at Sams to buy Dis Gift Card at 5% off?

You have to sign up and add your cards to "Chase Pay" first. But yeah, that is the gist of it. I didn't go through the UR portal because I thought the likelihood of getting the extra UR points for a gift card wasn't good. I figured my luck would be better elsewhere.

It looks worth getting, and with the travel credit (though it might just cover airline incidentals?) it could be worth keeping. 2.625% on everyday spend is the reason I picked the BoA Travel Rewards card for DH who doesn't want to carry more than 2-3 cards on him. For him, even the CFU + CSR combo only yields 2.25% so the BoA is better (only because of the Preferred Rewards boost). If Chase does away with the UR points transfers from Freedom/Unlimited --> CSP/CSR (rumors only at this point) then this new BoA would be the primary card for both of us. But I would still keep my CSR (or CSP) for the primary car rental coverage and built in trip insurance coverage. Currently, BoA doesn't compete in those areas.

Funny things count as travel with the BoA Travel Rewards card. In June, I bought a hat and candy at Universal Studios Hollywood, and both of those purchases counted as travel. Same trip, I paid for lunch at the Three Broomsticks with my CSR - only coded at 1x. Go figure.

I asked our CPC banker if he'd heard any rumors about changes to the program. He said he heard something about not allowing UR transfers to CSP and CSR that may be on the horizon. I said that would be the fastest way to get us to switch all our spending to Amex.

Were you able to get this resolved? I tried this morning and it kept getting declined. I guess my CSR was flagged by the fraud dept. because I had never used Chase Pay before. Well, d'uh, it's new and you are trying to get us to use it! So, I got the flag removed and the rep said to try again. OK, I gave it 20min and tried again but the same thing happened. So, 10min later I get another call from the fraud dept. This time they escalated it to a supervisor who was finally able to remove the flag so the transaction could go through. Phew! Not sure if I'm willing to try it on CSP and Freedom cards if I have to call each time.

Mine went trhough fine with the Freedom and the CFU cards. However, when I went to use Chase Pay with the CSR it was declined. I also had to call and escalate to a supervisor.

I've always bought gift cards through gyft.com using paypal to earn 5x points on my chase ink card. Lately, all of my purchases have come up as pending and say that I might have to wait up to 24 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this? I usually wait to purchase the gift card until I know i'm going to be making a purchase and I've been able to get the gift cards immediately. It's somewhat annoying to have to wait to purchase my items. It's always worked in the past for Walmart, amazon and best buy. I've tried all 3 of them in the past couple of days and gotten the 24 hour message. >:(

Thank you! TX *was* blazing hot but I love the heat so no issue there. We had lake time, pool time and beach time :) My boys got to ride in tractors and we all fished. We ate the fish we caught as well as mussels we pulled out of the lake and we ate fried alligator. It was completely awesome!
Awesome, Disney is great but you can not beat real outdoor adventures, plus extended family time without the Disney expense that's a trifecta.

I am putting my down payment for a new car on my CIP to meet the MS. Do I need to zero out my cash advance (if I have one :confused3) or anything that anyone is aware of? Thanks

I asked our CPC banker if he'd heard any rumors about changes to the program. He said he heard something about not allowing UR transfers to CSP and CSR that may be on the horizon. I said that would be the fastest way to get us to switch all our spending to Amex.

Same thinking here too, but i only have an Amex SPG card. Also would suck since not every place takes amex. I still think that its just a rumor based off a survey Chase was curious about. Its nothing more than that SouthWest premium card with GE/TSA pre credit that Chase asked about... :]

I've always bought gift cards through gyft.com using paypal to earn 5x points on my chase ink card. Lately, all of my purchases have come up as pending and say that I might have to wait up to 24 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this? I usually wait to purchase the gift card until I know i'm going to be making a purchase and I've been able to get the gift cards immediately. It's somewhat annoying to have to wait to purchase my items. It's always worked in the past for Walmart, amazon and best buy. I've tried all 3 of them in the past couple of days and gotten the 24 hour message. >:(

I believe the problem lies with the vendor. I have some things code as quickly as 12 hours, some take days. Heck, some of my purchases sometimes disappears, then shows up a few days later. i use gyft.com pretty heavily haha.

I am putting my down payment for a new car on my CIP to meet the MS. Do I need to zero out my cash advance (if I have one :confused3) or anything that anyone is aware of? Thanks

i dont see any problems using a credit card. The last time we bought a car, it coded as purchase... but i guess u can request to drop your cash advance just to be safe.

I have not experienced this lately but certainly have sporadically in the past. I feel your pain and it is extremely annoying when you are wanting to purchase items in store and then the gift card doesn't come through immediately. Are you using a different credit card by chance? The reason it shows up as pending is because they are trying to verify your info for whatever reason. Sometimes these risk software systems outsmart themselves. I've also had it show up, particularly with Walmart, where it takes payment, but the actual card is not shipped until much later with Gyft saying it is the card vendor's fault. That is also just as frustrating.

I believe the problem lies with the vendor. I have some things code as quickly as 12 hours, some take days. Heck, some of my purchases sometimes disappears, then shows up a few days later. i use gyft.com pretty heavily haha.

The OP was referencing actually getting her cards from Gyft and not the ABSOLUTELY CRAZY way they show or don't show with Ink via Chase. Have you had any issues actually getting your cards from Gyft as the OP has as of late?

Ok...spent some time on the phone today....(I don't have time for this) dl on phone, get spinning wheel of death on a greyed out screen saying I ned an id code....got an id code thru call, but can't input bc screen is greyed out.... deleted app, dl thru itunes, then back into my phone.... no go. still grey. how do i access this app thru my computer? (itunes) or is that not possible? it obviously hates me

I've had the same problems - it is very frustrating. I started just using my CFU because of this - much lower return but most times I can't wait 24 hours.

How can I start using Chase Pay?
When you download the Chase Pay app, you will be enrolled upon sign-in and can then use Chase Pay on your phone and online. If you only want to use Chase Pay online without downloading the app, you can enroll in Chase Pay by logging into your Chase account and clicking “Chase Pay” on your Chase dashboard (under “Pay and Transfer”). Alternatively, enroll directly from the online merchant page (see: how do I use Chase Pay online) or from partner merchant apps when you select Chase Pay as your payment method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter