I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the CSR a few weeks back no problem and have met my spend. So, I applied for my dh a card. He is at 3/24 but we (he) have quite a few Chase cards already (most are long-term). He also has 800+ credit score. I got the 'we need to look more at your application' before approving message. Hmm, it is probably because he has large available balances on all his other cards. Can he contact (or me contact) CHase through SM and ask to have balances lowered for the CSR? He won't call recon...just way too busy at work and only allows me this churning 'hobby' if I manage it all.

Phone calls are better but SM may work. You would have to request to escalate the message since the person getting the SM isn't usually able to approve the request. Explain you did not get an auto approval and would like to know what information you may need to provide. Offer to to reallocate credit lines and of course like any recon call be very polite in your message. A friend of mine that I introduced to travel hacking also handles everything for her and her DH. We were getting points and miles lined up for all of us to go on a trip to Europe. When it came time that her DH needed to make a recon call he didn't want to do it. She told him that was ok but he would not be allowed to complain while she was flying in first class and he would be back in coach during the 12 or so hours in the air. :rotfl: He made the call, got the card and we all flew up front.

Oh, and another question, I saw on slickdeals that people were selling their UR points. I am not really interested in going that route at this point but just curious if that is a good thing to do? Seems risky but mostly curious if anyone here does that or would not recommend doing that.

Thank you all!

There is no way under any circumstances that I would risk my relationship with Chase to do that. It goes against their T&C. Very easy to get caught and have all of your accounts shut down with no warning and get blacklisted with Chase. So not worth it at all. Reading data points about Chase account shutdowns keep me treading very lightly with Chase. I don't churn my Chase cards, I don't do any obvious MS with them and when I open a Chase card I tend to keep it long term.

Okay, how long are the rumors feeling we have on the ink+? I just got the CSR so I want to bank those points before I try on the ink+. Is that $4k too? Waiting on my card to arrive. Do they send a shipping notice? Or does it just show up?

Okay, how long are the rumors feeling we have on the ink+? I just got the CSR so I want to bank those points before I try on the ink+. Is that $4k too? Waiting on my card to arrive. Do they send a shipping notice? Or does it just show up?

No idea of the timeframe. Sometimes they give official warnings and sometimes things change with no notification at all. The spend is $5,000 for the Ink Plus.

Phone calls are better but SM may work. You would have to request to escalate the message since the person getting the SM isn't usually able to approve the request. Explain you did not get an auto approval and would like to know what information you may need to provide. Offer to to reallocate credit lines and of course like any recon call be very polite in your message. A friend of mine that I introduced to travel hacking also handles everything for her and her DH. We were getting points and miles lined up for all of us to go on a trip to Europe. When it came time that her DH needed to make a recon call he didn't want to do it. She told him that was ok but he would not be allowed to complain while she was flying in first class and he would be back in coach during the 12 or so hours in the air. :rotfl: He made the call, got the card and we all flew up front.

There is no way under any circumstances that I would risk my relationship with Chase to do that. It goes against their T&C. Very easy to get caught and have all of your accounts shut down with no warning and get blacklisted with Chase. So not worth it at all. Reading data points about Chase account shutdowns keep me treading very lightly with Chase. I don't churn my Chase cards, I don't do any obvious MS with them and when I open a Chase card I tend to keep it long term.

Gave my dh the phone numbers you listed a few pages back, and he says he will call today! Thank you :)

I was curious about the selling of UR points but I am not interested in messing up my relationship with Chase either. However, we have churned the SW cards some. Pretty low level compared to others but have done it. Is that pretty risky also?

Gave my dh the phone numbers you listed a few pages back, and he says he will call today! Thank you :)

I was curious about the selling of UR points but I am not interested in messing up my relationship with Chase either. However, we have churned the SW cards some. Pretty low level compared to others but have done it. Is that pretty risky also?

Not extremely risky really since so many other people do it and don't get shut down for it. I am just very wary about messing around with Chase. I'll game the system to the extent of maxing out UR earning potential. I don't churn their cards mostly because the ones I have are either keeper cards (Ink+, CSR, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, IHG, Marriott, United) or too old for me to close and not take a hit to my credit score (Disney and Amazon). With 5/24 in effect, I can't churn their cards anyhow as I am usually applying for 5 cards or more each year. I've churned Barclay cards and Citi cards mostly. Next up will be Bank of America cards.

most ppl think it will happen in a few months. but rumors can honestly hit any time. You can call chase for your CSR and have them expedite your card. They usually ship next day air with UPS.

Thanks! Looks like a neat app! I'm going to check it out!

Thank you - I sent you a pm.

me? haha

are u talking on MS? MS is also risking at high amounts, being low key works but it also may ruin relationships. i didnt know slickdeals had something like that, i started reading some but the trade is 1.5 pts per UR pts. that a pretty decent rate. haha.

Not extremely risky really since so many other people do it and don't get shut down for it. I am just very wary about messing around with Chase. I'll game the system to the extent of maxing out UR earning potential. I don't churn their cards mostly because the ones I have are either keeper cards (Ink+, CSR, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, IHG, Marriott, United) or too old for me to close and not take a hit to my credit score (Disney and Amazon). With 5/24 in effect, I can't churn their cards anyhow as I am usually applying for 5 cards or more each year. I've churned Barclay cards and Citi cards mostly. Next up will be Bank of America cards.

How old is too old of a card to close and not have it hurt your credit score? We also have an old (2006, I think) Amazon and Disney (2010, maybe?). Both are no AF so I don't mind keeping them open but we never use them. Does keeping them open and not using them hurt our credit scores?

What are your thoughts in the next Chase card I should apply for...In just my name, I have CSR, SW and Disney (older card). I also opened the AmExp BCP this year. SO, I am at 3/24. I do not think I will keep the CSR open beyond this one year. We don't eat out much or spend that much on travel. I am an AU on my dh's Freedom. Will I be able to transfer my points to his UR account or do I need some kind of UR card of my own? Maybe a FU? I don't think I need an Ink+ because I use my AmExp BCP to buy GC's.

The only Citi card I have is the Costco and I only have that by default. Once I am done getting my Chase cards, what is a good Barclay or Citi card to start with?

Thanks for all your help, Calypso!

are u talking on MS? MS is also risking at high amounts, being low key works but it also may ruin relationships. i didnt know slickdeals had something like that, i started reading some but the trade is 1.5 pts per UR pts. that a pretty decent rate. haha.

I have only done MS with this new CSR card. I was referring to churning the SW in that my dh and I were both opening Plus and Premier cards every 6 mos or so just to get the sign-up bonuses and closing (though we do have one old SW Premier that we keep open).

How old is too old of a card to close and not have it hurt your credit score? We also have an old (2006, I think) Amazon and Disney (2010, maybe?). Both are no AF so I don't mind keeping them open but we never use them. Does keeping them open and not using them hurt our credit scores?

What are your thoughts in the next Chase card I should apply for...In just my name, I have CSR, SW and Disney (older card). I also opened the AmExp BCP this year. SO, I am at 3/24. I do not think I will keep the CSR open beyond this one year. We don't eat out much or spend that much on travel. I am an AU on my dh's Freedom. Will I be able to transfer my points to his UR account or do I need some kind of UR card of my own? Maybe a FU? I don't think I need an Ink+ because I use my AmExp BCP to buy GC's.

The only Citi card I have is the Costco and I only have that by default. Once I am done getting my Chase cards, what is a good Barclay or Citi card to start with?

Thanks for all your help, Calypso!

they usually tell you to keep your cards open. You should only close your card if you are not using it and it carries an AF. Use it once in a blue moon to keep it from closing. Closing cards will usually hurt your total utilization but if you have very low utilization, i dont think it would make a big difference. You should be able to transfer to each other without any problems.

Ever since Citi got the costco account, they have been pretty cocky imo. The Thank you points line was pretty good cards, i still have a premier card with them but everything else has gone to crap since the release of costco card(1 bonus even if you apply for both card, lounge accesses removal, no more big bonuses etc). Not familiar with Barclay, the only Barclay card that was worth getting imo was the Salle Mae card, but that has since been discontinued for new applicants.

I have only done MS with this new CSR card. I was referring to churning the SW in that my dh and I were both opening Plus and Premier cards every 6 mos or so just to get the sign-up bonuses and closing (though we do have one old SW Premier that we keep open).

i dont think it works that way, after cancellation, u would need to wait 2 years to apply again for the bonus. Not unless your gonna stagger them. first SWPlus you, frist SWplus DH 6 months later, SWPremier you 6 months after that, etc. if you plan to ms on the CSR, just make sure to put in your natural spending it to cloud the MS... :P

i dont think it works that way, after cancellation, u would need to wait 2 years to apply again for the bonus. Not unless your gonna stagger them. first SWPlus you, frist SWplus DH 6 months later, SWPremier you 6 months after that, etc. if you plan to ms on the CSR, just make sure to put in your natural spending it to cloud the MS... :P

I did MS'ing on my CSR ($2500 worth). The other $1500 was legitimate spending and I will continue using the card for now when it makes sense. If my dh will ever call recon (tick-tock lol) and he can get the CSR, I will just spend normal on it. I was just trying to get the spend done quickly on mine. I think normal spending we can easily get 4k in 3 mos.

Hmm, my understanding on the SW is different. I was told that you could get the bonus every 24 mos from when you received the bonus. Maybe we are saying the same thing...My last SW Premier card was opened in Dec 2014, I got the bonus in March 2015, and closed the card in the fall 2015. I think I am eligible for that card's bonus again in April 2017. I think. Right now, we both still have a lot of RR miles so I'm not in a huge hurry to apply again. I need to figure out if I should open a Chase UR just in my name.

Not sure where to ask this, but has anyone been approved for a disney visa (or any credit card) by using their spouses income? I am a stay at home mom and have been for almost 9 years so I don't have income of my own other than my husbands. About 6 years ago I had an issue with a citi bank card. I closed the account and paid what I thought was the balance. Over a year later surprise! They sent me to collections over a late fee that they didn't inform me of and continued to rack up late fees, again, uninformed. How you can rack up late fees on a closed account is beyond me. So anyway, I do not have any credit cards in my name, but I want to attempt to build my credit. The problem is you now have to prove income, and mine is zero. I have heard that sometimes you can use your spouses income. Just wondering if anyone has done that and been approved? Thanks!
I'd like to get a disney and or a southwest card.

Not sure where to ask this, but has anyone been approved for a disney visa (or any credit card) by using their spouses income? I am a stay at home mom and have been for almost 9 years so I don't have income of my own other than my husbands. About 6 years ago I had an issue with a citi bank card. I closed the account and paid what I thought was the balance. Over a year later surprise! They sent me to collections over a late fee that they didn't inform me of and continued to rack up late fees, again, uninformed. How you can rack up late fees on a closed account is beyond me. So anyway, I do not have any credit cards in my name, but I want to attempt to build my credit. The problem is you now have to prove income, and mine is zero. I have heard that sometimes you can use your spouses income. Just wondering if anyone has done that and been approved? Thanks!

should work. my mom applied for a citi card... it asked for "Household" income, which is basically everyone's including my dad(mom is also a stay at home mom). No questions asked. instant approval. in your case of the collection, you should probably check your credit report and see what it looks like before applying.

Hmm, my understanding on the SW is different. I was told that you could get the bonus every 24 mos from when you received the bonus. Maybe we are saying the same thing...My last SW Premier card was opened in Dec 2014, I got the bonus in March 2015, and closed the card in the fall 2015. I think I am eligible for that card's bonus again in April 2017. I think. Right now, we both still have a lot of RR miles so I'm not in a huge hurry to apply again. I need to figure out if I should open a Chase UR just in my name.

yeah, u are right about SW. 24 months from when u receive the bonus. Chase UR also can transfer to SouthWest too! dont forget about that! probably easier to earn UR pts than SW pts.

Yes, you can list your household/joint income when applying.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/spouses-income-card-application/

Those who got their CSR, did you get a shipping notice? I got approved on Thursday. Wasn't at my house yesterday. Went into the branch and they called on it. It's shipped but they said they have no way to track it even though it's coming UPS. They were willing to cancel and reship, but I would think Chase should have some sort of tracking number on this! Even my branch guy was baffled with what they were telling him on the phone.

Next...now that I have the CSR how would you handle this?

We have a trip booked to NJ (driving) to visit my sister at Thanksgiving. We will be staying at a starwoods hotel I have booked now for 4 night using my starwoods points (and basically cleaning the balance out). The nightly rate isn't too crazy. Would you use the points? Would you book using the SPG Amex? Or would you book using the CSR? We used to be gold w/ SPG but haven't been in a year or so, so we don't have any crazy perks coming.

Those who got their CSR, did you get a shipping notice? I got approved on Thursday. Wasn't at my house yesterday. Went into the branch and they called on it. It's shipped but they said they have no way to track it even though it's coming UPS. They were willing to cancel and reship, but I would think Chase should have some sort of tracking number on this! Even my branch guy was baffled with what they were telling him on the phone.

Next...now that I have the CSR how would you handle this?

We have a trip booked to NJ (driving) to visit my sister at Thanksgiving. We will be staying at a starwoods hotel I have booked now for 4 night using my starwoods points (and basically cleaning the balance out). The nightly rate isn't too crazy. Would you use the points? Would you book using the SPG Amex? Or would you book using the CSR? We used to be gold w/ SPG but haven't been in a year or so, so we don't have any crazy perks coming.
No but I'm signed up for UPS my choice so I could track it that way.

Sneaking back in with a bit of a success story to share!

Thanks to you folks, I now have 6 business class tickets from Newark to Vienna on Austrian Airlines. My kids already have their connection through to Barcelona that evening, and I'm just waiting to finish my CSR spend to buy the rest of us onto that short commuter flight.

We're getting to Barcelona next September in business class, thanks to you all!!! Total out of pocket cost? $120!

I didn't know ANYTHING about miles until I found this thread. My folks and I agreed that I'd pick up the tab for our cruise if they paid for airfare and lodging to get us there. Airfare done, and now I'm about 2 months of points away from reserving our hotel rooms, too. For 6 people, we were ready to spend over $5,200 on economy airfare and lodging...

I simply cannot thank you folks enough.

LOL And since I've been away for the last 2 weeks, I now have over 10 pages of thread goodness to catch up on! :)

I've had my CSR for a little over a month and am on track to make the $4k spend with just our regular bills and everyday expenses, so my son decided to also apply for one. As we expected, it wasn't approved instantly. He wasn't keen on calling recon (the first time is always scary). Yesterday, I was just getting ready to send him the recon number when he received an email saying he was approved. Today he said his card is out for delivery! The $8K spend on the two cards is a little daunting, but I've worked it out on paper and we should be fine. Property taxes are due next month and that will eat up 3/4 of his spend. Love the fact that we'll have 200,000 UR points and $1,200 in travel credits to spend.

Sneaking back in with a bit of a success story to share!

Thanks to you folks, I now have 6 business class tickets from Newark to Vienna on Austrian Airlines. My kids already have their connection through to Barcelona that evening, and I'm just waiting to finish my CSR spend to buy the rest of us onto that short commuter flight.

We're getting to Barcelona next September in business class, thanks to you all!!! Total out of pocket cost? $120!

I didn't know ANYTHING about miles until I found this thread. My folks and I agreed that I'd pick up the tab for our cruise if they paid for airfare and lodging to get us there. Airfare done, and now I'm about 2 months of points away from reserving our hotel rooms, too. For 6 people, we were ready to spend over $5,200 on economy airfare and lodging...

I simply cannot thank you folks enough.

LOL And since I've been away for the last 2 weeks, I now have over 10 pages of thread goodness to catch up on! :)

Amazing story! I'd love to hear the specifics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter