• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did when MS was easier, Amazon payments, Vanilla reloads at CVS, Red Bird, and Blue Bird.I remember being in Disney World and seeing my email blow up with the bloggers giving warning that CVS was going to stop allowing credit card payments to purchase Vanilla Visa gift cards within the next few days and some stores were already enforcing it. We immediately left the park and headed to a CVS and were able to pick up the last $5,000 to make the spend.
I was in WDW when that news hit also! But since i'm just a small time MS'er (i.e. when I find something convenient lol) I did nothing about it...... It was funny, my DH has no idea what it's all about, I remember making an expression of "whoa!" ,him saying "what?" and me saying,"oh nothing"... but knowing it was a big change.....same thing when the whole target/ebay/ebates gc thing crashed...(I guess I do all this churn stuff more than I thought) I got the news while in WDW.....

I love, love, LOVE this thread! So much information and inspiration! I would never have thought to sign up for both the CSR and CSP. THe combined points paid for a trip to Disneyland this past December.

I have a few a few questions. First, I recently bought some SW points and paid with the CSR. When I looked at my statement, it didn't code as travel so it's only giving me 1x points instead of 3x points. Has this happened to anyone before? Is it worth calling Chase about it?

Second, I'm currently trying to meet the spend on a the Amex Hilton card. The first statement closes on Feb 14. If I can meet the spend in time will the HH points post quickly afterwards? I ask because on my Amex everyday card there is a one month lag for the reward dollars to post. This is my first go with a hotel credit card so I'm not sure.

It depends on how the airline points are coded by the merchant. Some airlines and hotels will sell their miles and points through a third party vendor like points dot com and the merchant code is not travel. I learned this the heard way a few years ago when US Airways was offering a 100% bonus match on purchased miles. I thought my miles would code as US Airways miles and I'd get 2 points on the US Air Barclay card but I didn't. I fought and argued (very politely) over the phone and email for about 2 months on the issue and finally was able to get them to give me the 2 points per dollar on the purchase which they did probably just to make me go away.

Sorry I don't know the answer to the HH Amex. I never paid attention to when the points posted as this is part of the "How do I get to Bora Bora" trip strategy I'm working on that involves 7 different credit cards and I won't need those points for a few more years.

I was in WDW when that news hit also! But since i'm just a small time MS'er (i.e. when I find something convenient lol) I did nothing about it...... It was funny, my DH has no idea what it's all about, I remember making an expression of "whoa!" ,him saying "what?" and me saying,"oh nothing"... but knowing it was a big change.....same thing when the whole target/ebay/ebates gc thing crashed...(I guess I do all this churn stuff more than I thought) I got the news while in WDW.....

HAHAHA! Oh man, it really is a small world. We must have been there at the same time.

I just received my SW card last week. I got it on the 19th and I already got my bill with statement ending the 23rd! I just assumed first statement would be a month. Does this affect how long I have to spend my $2000? It says my start date is the 11th, which is when I applied, but seems unfair since I tried to call and get my number to use it on the 16th and they would not give to me over phone. Anyway, can you tell me exactly when I need to have my spend done? Would it be 4/11, 3 months from "opening" or does it have to do when statements end? Thanks!

I just received my SW card last week. I got it on the 19th and I already got my bill with statement ending the 23rd! I just assumed first statement would be a month. Does this affect how long I have to spend my $2000? It says my start date is the 11th, which is when I applied, but seems unfair since I tried to call and get my number to use it on the 16th and they would not give to me over phone. Anyway, can you tell me exactly when I need to have my spend done? Would it be 4/11, 3 months from "opening" or does it have to do when statements end? Thanks!

3 months from open date. It is odd that your statement closed already. I've never had one do that. You do generally have to wait until a card arrives to start spending. You can always request they overnight it, though they may not.

Oh I wish! Nope, not yet. I get 3 weeks off a year so that covers the Hawaii/Disneyland and Italy trips. We get sick days that I will use to cover the Iceland Thanksgiving week trip plus the company is closed Thanksgiving and the Friday after so I'll only use 3 days. The company is also closed July 4 which is the weekend we go to Scotland so I will only be taking off the Friday before and Monday and using comp time that I accumulate for working on nights and weekends. The London trip is over the weekend leaving Thursday after work and just taking off Friday coming home Sunday. The Hamilton trip in San Fran is literally Friday after work hop on a plane, watch the show on Saturday, fly home Sunday and go to work Monday.

I try maximize trips when the days off at work lend themselves into creating a long weekend or the ability to use less vacation days and incorporate the holidays that the company gives us time off for.

Impressive use of days off. We get about 3 weeks per year, including sick days & holidays as it is all rolled into one bank. No vacation allowed Christmas or NY weeks. Thanksgiving week you're lucky to get a day or two off since there are many requests. I do admit to having to use some of my days off for school holidays since I have a second grader. I now feel somewhat limited by the school schedule. My kid missed his perfect attendance award last year due to our Disney trip.

3 months from open date. It is odd that your statement closed already. I've never had one do that. You do generally have to wait until a card arrives to start spending. You can always request they overnight it, though they may not.

Chase is usually very good at shipping your card overnight. my csr however didn't come overnight but on thurs(the official one with box, approved on a Friday.), but they shipping me one after I asked if it was shipped so I have 2 csr. lol

This thread is so helpful! I recently received my SW Premier and decided to apply for a Plus to try for the companion pass (got the need more time message). I called the automated status number listed about 30 pages back and was told I was being transferred to a service rep. I freaked out a bit and hung up. Anyone know if this is common or if I should have stayed on and spoken to them?

Edit - Wow, got a rejection letter today, less than a week after applying "too many cards opened last 2 years". There are only 4, so I called to see what could be done. After 10-15 minutes on hold, was told the application would be sent back for review. He did say based on my good payment history and previous credit management he was optimistic..

I got my card on Jan 10 in the mail and it closed on Jan 19. Does seem unfair.

Last edited:

Hi everyone, I havent been on for sooooo long, missed you all and miss wdw. How do you pay your cc off , without being tempted to use them?

Do you guys think i should go for an amex card? :P

8Dz0cEi.jpg
I see why the annual fee went up on my Blue Cash Preferred! Need to offset mailing costs somehow.

Hi everyone, I havent been on for sooooo long, missed you all and miss wdw. How do you pay your cc off , without being tempted to use them?

I never use cash if possible and only use credit cards. Cash pays me nothing for using it and the credit cards pay me in points. However, I treat my credit cards like they were cash. If the money isn't in the bank to pay for a purchase, then it doesn't get purchased.

I never use cash if possible and only use credit cards. Cash pays me nothing for using it and the credit cards pay me in points. However, I treat my credit cards like they were cash. If the money isn't in the bank to pay for a purchase, then it doesn't get purchased.
And therein lies the (not) secret. @kozmo-that's a good question,and one that needs to be taken seriously before trying this even once. To do this sort of thing well you must know yourself,and your habits. If you have the discipline to control your spending habits to get what you need, it's amazing. If you don't, well it's just a matter of time before everything goes south,financially speaking,and it's just not worth it. (There are many many sad stories about this) This works well if you have control of your budget,your plans,and your finances overall,and if you keep good records (that's very important) Paying finance charges and even worse,late fees etc negate 'bonuses' earned. Esp. as you look at the spreadsheet over time of spending vs. earning.I said this on another thread recently,and I'll say it again. :thumbsup2

I apologize if this is a novice question that has been answered a million times. If I want to get the companion pass, can I use the bonus points from the personal premier and personal plus cards? Or does one of them need to be a business card?

I apologize if this is a novice question that has been answered a million times. If I want to get the companion pass, can I use the bonus points from the personal premier and personal plus cards? Or does one of them need to be a business card?
Both personal cards are fine!

It's how I was raised - never buy anything on credit you can't immediately pay off. Allowed exceptions - house, car, and education loans. Anything else the money has to be saved up for.

Agreed. In almost 28 years of marriage, DH & I have never had a CC balance. Always pay in full at the end of the month. We've had a couple late fees due to oversight (or DH being in charge of bills) but I'm pretty type A about finances.

If it's tempting, don't try it. We have tons of credit on multiple cards, and I'm never tempted to go on a shopping spree. Just not me. OTOH, I have a coworker who always spends more than she has. Compulsive shopper. Buys first, thinks later. Which is a bad thing if you're playing the points game.

I have a new sapphire. I already did spend the 4K and paid it off before the first closing date. How long after my first closing date can I expect to see the points?

So here's something strange with my reserve. I am now one month into having the card, statement has already posted a couple days ago. I have yet to be charged the annual fee. When DS got her card, she was charged immediately. Anybody else have a delay or couple months in before the annual fee was charged?

So here's something strange with my reserve. I am now one month into having the card, statement has already posted a couple days ago. I have yet to be charged the annual fee. When DS got her card, she was charged immediately. Anybody else have a delay or couple months in before the annual fee was charged?

I'm just under a month on my CSR and my first statement just cut last week. No AF on that one. Based on what I've read on reddit from others' experiences, I'm expecting it to be applied on my next statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter