I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I feel I should know the answer to this question.:o Does a Chase offer stack with the current 5% PayPal category on the Freedom? Meaning I can get both the 5xUR and the Chase offer for a particular merchant like Best Buy where I can pay via PayPal?
It worked for me recently with a Walmart online order. I got the 5x points using PayPal and the Chase offer.

DW has an offer to upgrade her Amex biz gold to a biz platinum. She received the email on November 6 so hopefully it's still good by early December. My plan was to do the upgrade in early December. If approved could I use the Dell credit 4 times? Once in Dec 2023, once in Jan-Jun 2024, once in Jul-Dec 2024, and once in Jan 2025 after my AF hits but I would cancel before it hits 30 days.

Working on a Disney reservation in February for the last several days. I had a trip planned. The twist is that my brother and his wife, plus their DD and her husband let me know they would be there and were hoping I had something planned or could come.

My last night was the start of their visit and they are staying partly at the Swan, (for Disney) and then moving to Celebration for the remaining time (non Disney, friends and nature activities).

I was able to book one night at SSR but really needed to be at BCV (already there prior) or BWV. That's like a needle in a haystack right now.

So I first turned to Marriott points. They had ridiculous amounts for Swan, Swan Reserve and the Dolphin. Yuchh!
Moved on to Celebration and got 1 night for 39k equaling a 35K and 4K points. Acceptable as they are asking $3-400 for the rooms.

Next up UR's! Booked the Swan for 2 nights, one at a time, just in case I find that DVC needle in the haystack at BCV or BWV. Spent 58k for the nights plus $50 cash to get my CSP credit, which credited almost immediately.

Moved to Celebration and booked the missing night on UR's for 35K plus - yes, more than the Swan for a creaky hotel - it's okay but the location is what is important.

This morning went back to look for cost changes. The Celebration hotel was now available for Marriott 35K plus 4K points. Booked it quickly! Tried to cancel the UR booking online but it made me call. I called and got it done. Thankfully I had booked the refundable room on purpose as there were nonrefundable choices for 3500UR less.

Bottom line, I booked 4 nights using two certs plus points and just under 60K UR's. Cost out of pocket were the annual fees on the credit cards, most of which I've already used offers to mitigate.

Thankful for credit cards, Marriott FNC's, points and UR's this morning! Cash would have been $1491. I'll still have to pay the icky resort fee but that's minimal.

Last edited:

DW has an offer to upgrade her Amex biz gold to a biz platinum. She received the email on November 6 so hopefully it's still good by early December. My plan was to do the upgrade in early December. If approved could I use the Dell credit 4 times? Once in Dec 2023, once in Jan-Jun 2024, once in Jul-Dec 2024, and once in Jan 2025 after my AF hits but I would cancel before it hits 30 days.
The AF will post when the Gold Fee is due for renewal not when you upgrade.

You’ll pay a pro-rated amount when you upgrade then you’ll pay the $695 when the gold card renewal is scheduled.

Once again - met the spend a lot sooner than expected on DH's Ink... I hate not having a SUB I am working on. Was waiting for SW Cards - but can't get them for me until March and May. So, I figured I would try for another INK and see what happened as I know I am getting to my limit with Chase. Instant Approval. Yeah!! Have $2500 in Window Blinds to order soon, so that will take up a bunch. This will push us over 1 million UR's again... hoping for another Europe Trip in 2025 to maybe Germany, Austria, Prague or something like that.

PSA to check your upcoming flights. I was able to rebook a flight we're taking in less than 2 weeks with United. Saved 40k miles! Looks like they have some Saver fares now for black friday. Bummer that I now have 40k miles stranded at United (originally URs transferred from Chase), but I will try to find a use for them some other time.

100% Fort Lauderdale. We have left from PC, Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale airport is much nicer/easier/smaller than Orlando or Miami and close to the cruise port. We have a cruise out of Miami in January and my husband said, "We are flying into Fort Lauderdale, right?". So even if the cruise leaves out of Miami, it is Fort Lauderdale airport for us!
Oh that's good to know, because the first cruises I looked at (Carnival) all sail out of Miami.

How do you get from the airport in Ft Lauderdale to the cruise terminal in Miami? Uber?
Which port?
The ones I was looking at seem to leave out of Miami (Carnival).

The AF will post when the Gold Fee is due for renewal not when you upgrade.

You’ll pay a pro-rated amount when you upgrade then you’ll pay the $695 when the gold card renewal is scheduled.
Oh ok thanks for the info. If she was approved in December would she be able to use the Dell credit right away in December and then again in January?

By request, here's a trip report of our NCL Prima cruise (Southampton to Reykjavik). :D It was part of a longer trip, which I mentioned here. Tag @amcc in case you're interested. Pretty long, so I should probably split this up.

The NCL Prima seems to get very mixed reviews. We didn’t have any major issues. The dry slides were fun. The drop one is faster, but not as scary as it looks. We should have done the water slides at the beginning of the cruise when it was warmer. But we didn’t and it got too cold once we got to Norway. The racetrack is multiple decks and they let you go around a couple times. The kids did it twice, once was enough for me. I booked the slots on the first day and it wasn’t hard to find. They’re still not charging for the mini golf, so I guess it’s still not working properly. We only did the shows that can be booked beforehand (Donna Summer and Price is Right). Enjoyed both. Price is Right was especially fun, though I was nervous about getting called (would not want to go on stage lol).

When I booked, they were still giving 4 specialty dining for our 11-night cruise (they’ve since reduced that). We also had Le Bistro free from the Amex Cruise Privileges program. Le Bistro was my favorite, just perfect food and service. We also enjoyed the complimentary Indulge Food Hall. It’s very crowded at lunch on sea days, not so bad at dinner.

View of the dry slide from our balcony:

View attachment 792650

Zeebrugge, Belgium – we took a taxi to the picturesque town of Brugge about a half hour away. The other option was to take a shuttle with Cruise Express, but with 4 people the cost was about the same. We got off the ship about 10:30 am and there was a line for the taxis. I went to check the Cruise Express line, but they were already sold out. Luckily, the taxi line didn’t take too long. I asked the driver about picking us up too, but he couldn’t do the time I wanted, so he gave me his card and said he’d have someone else come (which they did at the agreed upon place and time).

In Brugge, we walked around, shopped (bought lace and chocolates), and ate some Belgian waffles.

View attachment 792651

Interesting wind turbines in the ocean as we sailed away:

View attachment 792652

Amsterdam – since we had spent 4 days at the beginning of the trip in Amsterdam, we just walked around in the Central Station area and shopped. The kids bought more Miffy merch lol. From the cruise ship terminal to Central Station was an easy 20-minute walk. I hear the city wants to ban cruise ships, hopefully that doesn’t come to pass.

On sail out, we saw this building with the swings on top. @*WDW*Groupie* this must be where you did the swings? The kids said we should have gone. I guess my fear of heights made me conveniently forget this existed lol.

View attachment 792653

Going through the lock was interesting, though we couldn’t really tell anything was happening. We were stuck for a couple hours because the gate wouldn’t open lol.

View attachment 792654

Bergen, Norway – we walked around the harbor area. It was about 20 min walk from the cruise port. Sailing out, we went under a bridge, which is a first for me on a cruise ship.

View attachment 792655

(continued)
Loved your write up. I just booked this cruise for 2025! Will be my first cruise. I jumped on this as Norway is introducing restrictions in 2026 on cruise ships going into the fjords. I didn't want to miss that.

NCL was having a black Friday sale so 1/2 off the cruise + free open bar + free specialty dining + free wifi. They included the bar and specialty dining gratuities in the booking. Being a first timer, what else will I need to pay for (other than excursions). I assume there are other gratuities I will owe but not sure how much that will be.

Oh that's good to know, because the first cruises I looked at (Carnival) all sail out of Miami.

How do you get from the airport in Ft Lauderdale to the cruise terminal in Miami? Uber?

Fort Lauderdale and Miami are only like 30 miles apart. So, they are closer than MCO to Port Canaveral. Depending on home many people and luggage - either do Uber/Lyft or there are a lot of Private Transportation Companies.

15 years ago we went to Universal for the first time (and went back for the second time this year) when we stumbled into the Ellen Degeneres show being taped at Universal CityWalk. She was hosting The Jonas Brothers and they gave a live concert. So crazy to just stumble into that!!

Anyway, our whole family (2 additional kids since then) saw The Jonas Brothers: 5 Albums tour this week, and it was so much fun. I told my kids I'll take them again in another 15 years, when they'll be 25-40, :rotfl2:

15 years ago we went to Universal for the first time (and went back for the second time this year) when we stumbled into the Ellen Degeneres show being taped at Universal CityWalk. She was hosting The Jonas Brothers and they gave a live concert. So crazy to just stumble into that!!

Anyway, our whole family (2 additional kids since then) saw The Jonas Brothers: 5 Albums tour this week, and it was so much fun. I told my kids I'll take them again in another 15 years, when they'll be 25-40, :rotfl2:
I saw them once, several years ago. They were awesome, I love them.

DCL would be a great choice but they are rather pricey. I guess when their 2025 European itineraries come out we could take a look to see if they have something we like better. We have gotten spoiled by the DCL cruises we have been on.
I had been looking at Celebrity and Viking when DCL finally released their itineraries, and luckily there was one that fit us perfectly at the right time of summer, so I ended up booking that instead. If it hadn't we probably would have chosen Celebrity because it was for 3 people and Viking is too expensive if I need to book for more than 2 people.

We usually stay the night before in Fort Lauderdale. If it is just 2 or 4 of us we will do Uber/Lyft. When we have travelled with my parents (so 6 total of us) we have hired a private transfer. I always see who is cheaper, Uber or Lyft. If I am being cheap we will stay at one of the Hyatts -it wasn’t that long ago they were 8k/night. But we prefer to use a Hilton FNC and stay at the Conrad - THAT is always a great start to vacation!

I’ve never done a timeshare deal..only because my son use to worked for Wyndham and I know they usually get 1, maybe 2 tours a day…and I’d feel guilty knowing we were taking away the possibility of a sale from someone.

We have stayed at Parc Soleil twice, in a 1 bedroom unit…loved it.
I know this post is a bit old, but DH and I did a Hilton timeshare presentation today and we have been debating the ethics of taking advantage of the offer (for us, it was a stay plus a lot of Hilton points) when we were 110% sure that we were not going to purchase (at least not on the spot). For the record: both of us are conflicted, and we did in the end not purchase anything. What's perhaps interesting is that we did learn a few things about the Hilton timeshare that made us slightly more likely to consider a purchase in the future, but we also felt that the people we dealt with today were kind of underhanded and manipulative. Also, by the second "this offer is only good while you are here," I was feeling somewhat less conflicted--if it's really a good or even decent deal, let me go home and think about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter