I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 60 days for the WF Biz checking account passed and no bonus yet. I hope I did everything right.

Does your paperwork have the promo code on it? I was getting worried because I hadn't received my bonus yet, as it seems like most people got it at the 60 day mark. Going off of that I should have rec'd my bonus on 6/14, but I just got it on Friday.

Does anyone know what happens if you have a negative points balance for Capital One (specifically Ven X)? We cancelled and rebooked a hotel stay several times on my DH's card, and we ended up with negative 10k mile balance. My DH is worried about making it up. I don't have any Cap One experience to know whether it's a big deal or not. TIA!

Can I apply for a Biz card and a personal card at the same time (2 different banks) or do I need to wait 3 months between applications?
The 3 month recommendation is between Chase applications. Some banks are inquiry sensitive though, hopefully someone else know exactly which ones

Okay I'm trying to plan Ireland. I figure it's time I stop delaying. My daughter's one request was at least business class, LOL. We're leaving from DTW. In looking at google flights, we either need to position here (on the east coast) or we need to connect in Europe. Aer Lingus is looking like a decent option as they have a flight from PHL that would work. I likely need 3 seats, but my searching is coming up w/ 2 seats in biz. Is there a chance other Biz seats might open? My mom might be open to sitting in economy. She's done it before to Europe, LOL. The trip is March 2023. I've been dragging my feet on figuring out the booking.

W/ the Chase transfer to BA, I'm assuming I can use the transferred BA avios w/ Aer Lingus still?

Also I know quite a few people have booked to Ireland recently. Are there other airlines to look at? I'm willing to go from DTW to wherever to position. Or I'm open to connecting if needed. Per google flights the options into Dublin are Aer Lingus, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, Delta and United.

Another reason I'm open to positioning here, is I'm not springing for Biz class on all legs, LOL. My daughter can do peasant class on a short flight, then upgraded on the longer one.

Okay I'm trying to plan Ireland. I figure it's time I stop delaying. My daughter's one request was at least business class, LOL. We're leaving from DTW. In looking at google flights, we either need to position here (on the east coast) or we need to connect in Europe. Aer Lingus is looking like a decent option as they have a flight from PHL that would work. I likely need 3 seats, but my searching is coming up w/ 2 seats in biz. Is there a chance other Biz seats might open? My mom might be open to sitting in economy. She's done it before to Europe, LOL. The trip is March 2023. I've been dragging my feet on figuring out the booking.

W/ the Chase transfer to BA, I'm assuming I can use the transferred BA avios w/ Aer Lingus still?

Also I know quite a few people have booked to Ireland recently. Are there other airlines to look at? I'm willing to go from DTW to wherever to position. Or I'm open to connecting if needed. Per google flights the options into Dublin are Aer Lingus, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, Delta and United.

Another reason I'm open to positioning here, is I'm not springing for Biz class on all legs, LOL. My daughter can do peasant class on a short flight, then upgraded on the longer one.
I am far from an expert on any of this, but I can tell you that when I was looking at various options for rewards flights last week, before deciding where to transfer my URs & MRs, Are Lingus flights were coming up as options when I searched BA avios reward flights.

Can anyone tell me some of their favorite things to do in London? I'll be there for four days at end of September into October. One day we'll be going to an NFL game but the other three we're looking for things to do. I really want to do the Harry Potter tour but not sure if that will happen as I doubt the other people we're going with will want to and I would like to stay together as much as possible but we'll see.

Would it be best to bring cash and have it exchanged or use a no foreign transaction fee credit card or a little of both?
We loved the Harry Potter studio tour but it's not in London proper. It's a bus or taxi ride. We liked Borough Market (plan for a meal there, it's loads of food purveyors); Winston Churchill tour/Churchill war rooms, and Thames boat ride. Hop on hop off bus is great for getting to a bunch of sites in 1 day.
As for cash, we used none. I planned on getting some there but never did. Tipping there is more of a rarity and not expected or we added tip to fee. Definitely take a card (or 2) with no FTF. We used it a lot for transportation (Uber, Underground, train). FYI for Underground you can tap a CC, but it won't let you use the same card for two people going thru together (it won't take 2 charges on same card that quickly and denies the second). We ended up giving DS a card to tap through.

We loved the Harry Potter studio tour but it's not in London proper. It's a bus or taxi ride. We liked Borough Market (plan for a meal there, it's loads of food purveyors); Winston Churchill tour/Churchill war rooms, and Thames boat ride. Hop on hop off bus is great for getting to a bunch of sites in 1 day.
As for cash, we used none. I planned on getting some there but never did. Tipping there is more of a rarity and not expected or we added tip to fee. Definitely take a card (or 2) with no FTF. We used it a lot for transportation (Uber, Underground, train). FYI for Underground you can tap a CC, but it won't let you use the same card for two people going thru together (it won't take 2 charges on same card that quickly and denies the second). We ended up giving DS a card to tap through.
What did you do for cell data? Did you add an international plan to your existing cell plan or get a local sim card for the trip?

Thanks for the ideas. A airport hotel could be a good thing to consider. We flew into Boston last month so I am a little familiar with their airport. Do you arrive home exhausted after two flights?

Good idea about the routes. After a lot of comparison, it looks like Virgin Atlantic will be the best use of my points. I tested several east coast airports but didn't really think about looking at VA's routes. I'll get on that.

There are lie flat seats available 47,500 points + $855 vs. 17,500 points + $325 for premium economy. I'm trying to decide between the two. My husband is 6'4" and I'm wondering if a lie flat would actually be less comfortable than a 38" angle seat? Actually, the options include Lie Flat on a Delta One or Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic, both for same price.

Edited to add: We are flying into London and Boston seems a good jumping off point.
Last month we flew from PRG-CDG-BOS, spent the night and then flew home BOS-ATL-PNS and I was surprisingly not exhausted. I think I timed the flights on day 2 to be early enough that things went smoothly but I was still jet lagged enough to feel as though I slept in lol.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on what your DH would find most comfortable since I'm vertically challenged.

all the coffee there is amazing and the brunch spread.
here's a sneak peek. also, they asked me if I wanted anything else besides the brunch of course I had to order a Croque Monsieur

also were you able to get amazing value? how many cpp? @djmeredith ?
If I did the math correctly, it was a 1.7 redemption value. Thanks for the photo!

This is making me so jealous, but no way we could ever stay there during a family vacation. Unfortunately we are staying at Hyatt Regency Paris Etoilé, but we are a family of 4 and 2 rooms get expensive really fast.
I can understand that. The Etoile's reviews were not bad and it seemed very close to a Metro stop. Anywhere in Paris is better than not being there at all!

I gambled on Verizon, and ordered 4 $75 gift cards, to use my $75 back on $150 Verizon offers on our BBP. I know they sometimes come empty, and I have had it happen to me before. But this time it seems to have gone my way. All 4 show the $75 balance, and my Amex credited in just a couple of days for the $75!
Tempting tempting, but so many horror stories. Appreciate you sharing the DP.

Back from our adventures to French Polynesia. It’s so beautiful there and the people are nice. The Conrad Bora Bora in an overwater bungalow is my new favorite hotel stay of all time.

We flew economy SFO-PPT on United, using up most of my stored-up Travel Funds. I bought the Air Tahiti Bora Bora Pass for our interisland flights since it was only slightly more than roundtrip Tahiti to Bora Bora. Trip was Tahiti (1 night) - Moorea (4) - Raiatea (3) - Huahine (3) - Bora Bora (5) - Tahiti (1). Most people take the ferry from Tahiti to Moorea, but we flew since it was included in the pass.

I’m glad I put Bora Bora last. If I had put it first, the rest of the trip would have felt like a letdown. But I worried about one of us getting sick and having to miss it! Bora Bora is the most gorgeous, but I feel like I experienced more of the true French Polynesia on the other islands since we didn’t stay in resorts. Glad we did both. 😊

I put up reviews here:
Conrad Bora Bora
Hilton Tahiti Hotel

My favorite sunset photo of the trip (Bora Bora):

C90AAE1D-B869-49D8-B902-139EECD96E37.jpeg

Quoting myself to update my Paris hotel saga. I’ve been checking the Hyatt points booking availability frequently since last week, and today the Park Hyatt Place Vendome had availability for all 3 nts on points. 40k one nt and 45k the other two. I had to use up my UR stash and buy some points, but to me it was a good redemption. I’ve always dreamed of staying in an aspirational property in Paris and I know it will not disappoint me.
That's fantastic. We stayed there ten years ago and loved it - I hope you like it, too. I had it booked for 2020 until the world shut down, and I've finally rebooked a suite for 2023.

What did you do for cell data? Did you add an international plan to your existing cell plan or get a local sim card for the trip?

For a short trip I think it's just easier to pay the $10/day on my cell plan. For a long stay in one place I would consider a sim card.

Can anyone tell me some of their favorite things to do in London? I'll be there for four days at end of September into October. One day we'll be going to an NFL game but the other three we're looking for things to do. I really want to do the Harry Potter tour but not sure if that will happen as I doubt the other people we're going with will want to and I would like to stay together as much as possible but we'll see.

Would it be best to bring cash and have it exchanged or use a no foreign transaction fee credit card or a little of both?

We just got back from London. We visited the Churchill War Rooms, Westminster Abbey, and the Tower of London. My boys did a stadium tour at the Chelsea soccer stadium. I highly recommend getting tickets to see a show. The tickets are quite a bit cheaper than Broadway. We had lunch at Borough Market one day. We took 100 pounds out when we got to the airport and honestly we had to force ourselves to spend it. Using a credit card was so much easier. We made sure that everyone in the family (4 of us) had a card with no foreign transaction fees that they could use with tap and pay for public transport. It was SO easy!

As far as phone service, we ordered a free sim card from GiffGaff and used it in an unlocked phone. We were able to pay 10 pounds for 15 gigs of data.

Does anyone know what happens if you have a negative points balance for Capital One (specifically Ven X)? We cancelled and rebooked a hotel stay several times on my DH's card, and we ended up with negative 10k mile balance. My DH is worried about making it up. I don't have any Cap One experience to know whether it's a big deal or not. TIA!
I’ve had a negative miles balance for over a year so doesn’t seem to be a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter