I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FIL's AF on his Delta Amex just hit. Given his medical situation, he's barely using it but he's got 500k points on his Delta account which his sons want to use, I'd like to keep it if possible, but not for $250. Has anyone had luck calling in for a retention offer? Or is there a card we can downgrade to?
Can you product change it to the no annual fee card?

Still working on plans for Glacier NP in July/Aug.

They are requiring reservations to travel GTTSR. I do have 3 nights in the park in hotels that will have GTTSR reservations attached. So I am guaranteed to be able to enter and travel the road. But might have to change some of my plans if I can't get a reservation for the day I want to travel to Many Glacier. Lots of road work and delays expected. I am excited but not as much as I would have thought. I think I need to reset my expectations that this won't be a perfect trip.

Rental cars are now very expensive. I have at least one back up booked. I did just check and I was able to save $8 today by rebooking. I was actually surprise to see availability and a slight reduction in the cost today.

Hotels: I know most do not find benefit on their Amex Bonvoy Biz with $125 fee. But I got a great deal in Whitefish - regular price in July $354, 30K points. Using my FNC for one night and points for a second. I just checked and the hotel says sold out for my nights. Does it even make sense to try to use my suite awards for being Platinum? I assume if they are sold out, nothing to upgrade me to.
For my in park hotels, going to finally use my CapOne Venture miles that were targeted for this use in 2020. That will cover $760 of the $878 bill.
For nights after and before the flight, used URs to book hotels.

Total for hotels looks like a cost of $2,600 and my OOP will be $118+$125(AF) =$243.

I really hope this trip happens!

Question buried in there in case you want to skip my trip ramblings: If the Marriott hotel is sold out, does it even make sense to try to use my suite awards for being Platinum? I assume if they are sold out, nothing to upgrade me to.

Is it a hotel that normally has suites on their website? Availability comes and goes when such a long way from the stay, so you really won't know until you get closer.

If it's a JW Marriott or similar, can't hurt to try. If it's Springhill, Townplace, probably going to get what you booked. But, if you have no other need for the awards, you could take a shot in the dark.

Right? Clearly not airsick since not even flying. But aren't they supposed to be screening for illness? They could have COVID or worse.
Former flight attendant here. I can assure you they absolutely did assess this situation before they took off with a nauseous person. It could've just been a pregnant lady feeling nauseous or someone who has a history of airsickness trying to address it before takeoff. The crew would not risk their own health, or the passengers health, if they suspected the person might be contagious. I personally have prevented people from boarding because they looked very ill, and that was many years before the pandemic. As for the front row, not sure why they made that request but my guess is the FAs were thinking the person would be close to the lavatory in case they were going to get sick.

Still working on plans for Glacier NP in July/Aug.

They are requiring reservations to travel GTTSR. I do have 3 nights in the park in hotels that will have GTTSR reservations attached. So I am guaranteed to be able to enter and travel the road. But might have to change some of my plans if I can't get a reservation for the day I want to travel to Many Glacier. Lots of road work and delays expected. I am excited but not as much as I would have thought. I think I need to reset my expectations that this won't be a perfect trip.

Rental cars are now very expensive. I have at least one back up booked. I did just check and I was able to save $8 today by rebooking. I was actually surprise to see availability and a slight reduction in the cost today.

Hotels: I know most do not find benefit on their Amex Bonvoy Biz with $125 fee. But I got a great deal in Whitefish - regular price in July $354, 30K points. Using my FNC for one night and points for a second. I just checked and the hotel says sold out for my nights. Does it even make sense to try to use my suite awards for being Platinum? I assume if they are sold out, nothing to upgrade me to.
For my in park hotels, going to finally use my CapOne Venture miles that were targeted for this use in 2020. That will cover $760 of the $878 bill.
For nights after and before the flight, used URs to book hotels.

Total for hotels looks like a cost of $2,600 and my OOP will be $118+$125(AF) =$243.

I really hope this trip happens!

Question buried in there in case you want to skip my trip ramblings: If the Marriott hotel is sold out, does it even make sense to try to use my suite awards for being Platinum? I assume if they are sold out, nothing to upgrade me to.
We are doing 3 full days at glacier this summer, short but that’s all the time we have. Staying at Swiftcurrent the first night and focusing on Grinnell Glacier trail on that day. Then we’ll check in to Rising sun motor that evening. The next morning we check out and move Whitefish. I’m not sure if we get a pass for the day we check out of Rising Sun Motor? I guess we do since we’ll be inside the park? I’ll need to call to confirm.
The following day I plan on making horseback riding reservations, which guarantees us entrance.

Does anyone know if Priority Pass lounges are open on holidays? I have never used this perk and will be in an airport tomorrow.
I looked up the specific lounge but it didn't mention anything referencing holidays.
Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you! I need to look into this since we just moved over to T-Mobile service.
You now have to make 10 debit purchases to get the 4%. Up until this month you only needed to deposit which was easily accomplished by moving money into and out of the account. I've not followed up to see if small Amazon reloads will satisfy the new requirements.

Each adult can have an account so both DH and I have one, I kept he bulk of our savings there last year some of which has now been used to pay taxes. Assuming I can easily meet the 4% requirements my goal is to keep each account maxed.

We are doing 3 full days at glacier this summer, short but that’s all the time we have. Staying at Swiftcurrent the first night and focusing on Grinnell Glacier trail on that day. Then we’ll check in to Rising sun motor that evening. The next morning we check out and move Whitefish. I’m not sure if we get a pass for the day we check out of Rising Sun Motor? I guess we do since we’ll be inside the park? I’ll need to call to confirm.
The following day I plan on making horseback riding reservations, which guarantees us entrance.
We‘re at Swiftcurrent, Rising Sun and Apgar Inn as well as Whitefish. My understanding is that your night at Rising Sun gets you in on the GTTSR on your check in day. You’ll be in the park when you check out. Once you leave the park on check out day, you can’t return without a reservation. Sounds like you are good for the two days after the Many Glacier area.

So, I dropped by Aldi for a few things earlier this week on Tuesday. On my way in, an older person sitting on a rollator spoke to me. She said, 'Can you buy me something to eat?'

My immediate reply was 'I only have a quarter'. That would be to insert in the slot to free up the shopping cart. I don't carry cash. Continued to the cart and on the way back I said, 'What can I buy for you?' She said, 'Some green beans and one of those packs of chicken with the peppers and onions.' And she offered to come in the store with me. I said, no, you wait here, I'll be right back.

Once in the store, I quickly got the 2 items, and added a bit of fresh fruit for a total cost of $9.83 which I put on my IHG card to complete the 3 tap to pay transactions for 1000 points.

Back outside and another customer had also picked up a couple of items for her. She thanked us both and blessed us and rolled away. I went back in the store to get my own few things.

So, I helped feed someone dinner that night. I may have been scammed but I prefer to think I gave from my heart and that this person needed food. Usually I have no problem averting my eyes, ignoring and keeping walking when asked for change, as I equate that with 'not food' items.
This story warms my heart. I will always give food. If someone is so hard up they need to scam for food, well, they are in a worse place than I am.

I am a child of addicts. My grandparents always made sure we never went without necessities (and my mother took advantage of them for that), but I know without them I could have been going without food.

Does anyone know if Priority Pass lounges are open on holidays? I have never used this perk and will be in an airport tomorrow.
I looked up the specific lounge but it didn't mention anything referencing holidays.
Thank you

I haven't flown on any holidays but I can't imagine they would be. To me airports are like disney, they don't close for holidays. Well except for the chick fil a's that are in airports.

This has been happening a lot with chase cards. I would assume it's gone through if your credit was pulled. We had the same issues with my DH app in January. About 3/4 of the time when I checked the status line, his application details wouldn't show up. Same have reported luck with getting an update on the status of they input the social security number slowly when asked.
Thanks for this data point. I just applied for a card and the status line didn't have an app with my SS#. I figured I would try again in the a.m.

We made our appointments for our pre-HI testing on Wednesday. I feel like I can;t be sure this trip is going to happen until we get our negative tests and our butts on the plane!

Does anyone have advice for budget friendly but safe week-long parking at JFK? I have only had car service or parked for work trips (ie. I did't care how much parking cost bc I could expense it).

Yay now I can post this from DoC yesterday. You can now book one way on ANA using VS miles. Easier to combine cabins and not over pay and also no more dummy return bookings.

I’m hoping I can take advantage of this new policy when I move the first leg of my existing RT Oct ‘21 booking to March ‘22. Will report back in a week.

Also, I will now need to take a positioning flight to travel in F on that trip. I am historically a loyal SW flyer but am thinking of booking the positioning flight in economy on Delta via VS to use up the awkward amount of VS miles I’ll have left over and save my more valuable (to me) RR points. Anyone flown 3-4 hours in DL economy? Not comfort plus, just regular old economy. Any major cons besides charges for checked bags and cramped seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter