I know nothing about DL & need to plan a trip

4kids4karen

DIS Veteran
I guess I need to start reading this group. I need to plan a trip to DL as daughter wants to go for her birthday (which is also Spring Break time). So anything you want to tell me, I am open to hear.

A few facts:
1) Been part of these groups forever (a few usernames so this one doesn't reflect entire time), so I know all about WDW.
2) Live 1.5 hours from WDW now. Daughter is a student in Orlando.
3) Military Family. I also am eligible for DAS.
4) Daughter becomes a Cast Member later this week (employee discounts?) !!!
5) We would be flying FL to CA
6) At WDW we prefer to stay at Deluxe hotels, so need to look at DL hotel reservations.
7) Likely just the two of us going.

Disneyland is similar and yet very different from WDW. The first thing to note is that everything is closer together - it's all walkabke. If you are staying at a Disney hotel, you will be able to walk through Downtown DIsney to the Esplanade between the parks. The parks may also seem smaller, but do consider thayt they ahve almost as many attractions in two parks as WDW has in four - it can feel more crowded though due to the size. Another fun fact is that some rides are the same, and some are different, even when they have the same name. Space Mountain for example is a completely different ride at DL, however if you ride The Matterhorn it may seem familiar as it was the actual precursor to Space Moutnain at MK. It's fun to compare and contrast the rides so don't necessarily skip it just because you think it may be the same. Pirates is NOT to be missed, though you may never appreciate the MK version again. 😉

You've come to the right place for planning and such, so if you have any specific questions, just chime in. Have fun!

I always direct people to the Disneylanddaily.com website. Casey has a great overview of how to plan if you're a first time visitor. She's also great about finding the little things about Disneyland that make it special. If you plan on doing Genie+, she's a pro at using the systems to navigate wait times to your benefit.

Unless you really want to stay at a Disney hotel, there's plenty of options across Harbor Blvd that are great like the Courtyard Marriott and also will save you some money. It's a 10 minute walk to security from most of the Harbor Blvd hotels.

Don't miss the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough exhibit. It's a fun DL only option that's always enjoyable. There's so many DL only rides that are great like Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White, the Canal Boats, Casey Jr, and Alice. Mickey Beignets in New Orleans Square at the Mint Julep Bar are also a must. Haunted Mansion at DL is the only one with the Hatbox Ghost. Pirates is so much more enjoyable. If you can get reservations, Blue Bayou is enjoyable as it is the start of the Pirates ride so you can watch the boats go by as you eat.

But a word of warning, you may not enjoy WDW as much after you visit DLR. WDW is a fun destination vacation. DLR feels like home.

Mickey Beignets in New Orleans Square at the Mint Julep Bar are also a must.

I am a big fan of Flo's for atmosphere, but I also love almost all of CarsLand. See it at night if you can.

The parks and the hotels are incredibly close together. It is really easy to get from one park to another.

This guidebook is fantastic. Some of it may be slightly out of date, but it is helpful if you are someone who wants a physical book with all of the information in one place. https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disneyland-2022-Guides/dp/1628091274

I always direct people to the Disneylanddaily.com website. Casey has a great overview of how to plan if you're a first time visitor. She's also great about finding the little things about Disneyland that make it special. If you plan on doing Genie+, she's a pro at using the systems to navigate wait times to your benefit.

I tried looking at the site but wonder if I typed something wrong because I was having to search for DL stuff among a lot of WDW stuff. Does she do both? If so, IMHO things should be separated because I got frustrated and gave up.

I tried looking at the site but wonder if I typed something wrong because I was having to search for DL stuff among a lot of WDW stuff. Does she do both? If so, IMHO things should be separated because I got frustrated and gave up.

She goes to WDW about 4 times a year and went a lot when Disneyland was down for longer the WDW. This is the best post for a first time visitor to DLR.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-first-timers-guide-to-disneyland/

Prior to Covid, we used her strategies for picking rides to minimize waits and they worked out well. She was a pro at using Maxpass and I have no doubt she'll figure out the best strategies for Genie+ when it's up and running. Towards the bottom of this link, she has links to the results when she followed her plan. It's on Facebook.

https://disneylanddaily.com/disneyl...ys-without-fastpasses-rise-of-the-resistance/

Honestly, Facebook is the easiest way to view what she posts but I've sworn off Facebook since the summer but still peak at my wife's account when I want to see her content. She also has a pretty good Instagram account.

Last edited:
She goes to WDW about 4 times a year and went a lot when Disneyland was down for longer the WDW. This is the best post for a first time visitor to DLR.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-first-timers-guide-to-disneyland/

Prior to Covid, we used her strategies for picking rides to minimize waits and they worked out well. She was a pro at using Maxpass and I have no doubt she'll figure out the best strategies for Genie+ when it's up and running. Towards the bottom of this link, she has links to the results when she followed her plan. It's on Facebook.

https://disneylanddaily.com/disneyl...ys-without-fastpasses-rise-of-the-resistance/

Honestly, Facebook is the easiest way to view what she posts but I've sworn off Facebook since the summer but still peak at my wife's account when I want to see her content. She also has a pretty good Instagram account.

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter