I know kids do it all the time but adults

Too true. There are a whole lot of people that fit the by choice category that's for sure. So many that I think it's made many take the not by choice (Celiac) less serious.
Exactly.

People that are gluten free by choice kind of drive me crazy.

They are the ones that order a regular dessert because they "want to cheat." Then the next time the server or chef helps someone with Celiac, they kind of blow them off.

Problem is, it can be life or death for me. (And no not immediate death, a slow death, by lymphoma.)

Too true. There are a whole lot of people that fit the by choice category that's for sure. So many that I think it's made many take the not by choice (Celiac) less serious.

I don't see how that works. If anything, having more people asking for GF makes it more mainstream, available, and easy to be accommodated.

They are the ones that order a regular dessert because they "want to cheat." Then the next time the server or chef helps someone with Celiac, they kind of blow them off.

That's on the server. That's not the fault of the gluten-lite person. If a server decides that all GF people eat graham cracker crusts, or all macrobiotic (which dh went on to literally save his life) people cheat by eating land animal meat, that's their fault.

I don't see how that works. If anything, having more people asking for GF makes it more mainstream, available, and easy to be accommodated.

That's on the server. That's not the fault of the gluten-lite person. If a server decides that all GF people eat graham cracker crusts, or all macrobiotic (which dh went on to literally save his life) people cheat by eating land animal meat, that's their fault.
Because when you have someone who eat GF when it suits them and not when it doesn't it makes it harder to understand what truly GF means. Is that on the server? Maybe. But the fact remains it's just part of human nature to group all GF together, even when they are those who are Celaic and those who are doing it because it's trendy. And I know plenty who are on the GF bandwagon because it's trendy to be on it. Just like Fat Free was at one point, or Low Carb, or whatever the current buzz words in the diet industry are

Last edited:
Actually it ends up on me. I'm the one that pays for it, by being sick.

It is hard to blame the server. They figure that the graham cracker crust didn't hurt the first person that was "gluten free" why would it hurt the next person that is the same way? Wouldn't it be better for the trendy person to admit that they are simply being trendy?

Why? Why would you limit yourself to a glass of orange juice at, apparently, any/every TS location? You're planning the trip!

I knew this question would be asked evidently I was just hoping it would not be. I hate breakfast food so my plan was to bring ham and cheese sandwiches in the room keep them in the refrigerator and eat those with a coke and eat while I get ready and the rest of my party would eat at the TS. The only way around bringing a ham and cheese to the room is if I can find a restaurant that would make a grilled cheese with bacon doubt I well so why take the chance

Is the gf family member an adult? If so they will be fine figuring out what they can and can't eat. You don't need to even think about it. My teenager has been making her own gf food choices since age 13 (four years now). It's easy to ask a worker what is/isn't gf.
Many of the table service restaurants have an Allergy menu to choose from. Quick service restaurants have a special book they can choose from. Just ask and pick your GF meal.

I knew this question would be asked evidently I was just hoping it would not be. I hate breakfast food so my plan was to bring ham and cheese sandwiches in the room keep them in the refrigerator and eat those with a coke and eat while I get ready and the rest of my party would eat at the TS. The only way around bringing a ham and cheese to the room is if I can find a restaurant that would make a grilled cheese with bacon doubt I well so why take the chance
I recommend looking at menus, lots of places serve atypical food even at breakfast. It's your holiday too!

I know this was said earlier, but just in case it got lost....if you go to a breakfast BUFFET or Family-style all-you-care-to-eat, you WILL BE charged the full price no matter what you eat or don't eat. So if you're still going to a TS for breakfast, make sure it is a la carte and not buffet.

I know this was said earlier, but just in case it got lost....if you go to a breakfast BUFFET or Family-style all-you-care-to-eat, you WILL BE charged the full price no matter what you eat or don't eat. So if you're still going to a TS for breakfast, make sure it is a la carte and not buffet.

Thank you I did not have character or buffet (sp) in mind for breakfast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter