• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just let the dog go.

I would have taken the dog called the cops and explained what was going on & what I witnessed in the past...what would I have done next? Not sure but after seeing the dog abused already I couldn't with a clear mind just let it happen again.
I just hope this lady didn't loose control once to caught her dog again today.

Poor dog, OP maybe you could offer to "adopt" the dog?

No, you didn't say it didn't have a collar, but since you didn't know where the woman lived, I wrongly assumed that while it may have had a collar, it didn't have identifying tags on it. But...we do that, here in our big cities, we check collars for tags and figure out where the dogs belong. In any case, it honestly would not matter to me...I would not be witness to an animal running around, always getting loose. I would turn it in to a rescue, not an animal shelter, and know that I was doing better for the animal.

At any rate, the fact that you got your kicks out of watching the woman run around after the animal, showed me that you really could care less about the dog, you just wanted to see the woman get frustrated and mad. Which we all know she probably took out on the dog.

So I am supposed to grab the dog from the woman after she catches it, check the collar then report her?

I would have taken the dog called the cops and explained what was going on & what I witnessed in the past...what would I have done next? Not sure but after seeing the dog abused already I couldn't with a clear mind just let it happen again.
I just hope this lady didn't loose control once to caught her dog again today.

Poor dog, OP maybe you could offer to "adopt" the dog?

I wish I could, we already have two and I think it would not be responsable of me to take in another one. Dogs are expensive and I am not sure I could handle another. We rescued Sophie last yr from a shelter in my home town. Labs are super energetic!

I rarely do this, but I don't think the OP incited anything.
She merely told us a story of how she decided NOT to help her neighbor catch her dog this time. (ok, and enjoyed the neighbor's frustration)

I know there are many of you who would have done something different, but frankly, the OP has no responsibility to the owner of the dog. Why should she help her catch the dog only to have the owner abuse the dog?

She responded that she couldn't catch it herself and take it somewhere because the owner was right there, also trying to catch the dog.

MAYBE someday, the OP will find the dog running loose, and alone and will try to rescue the abused dog.

I think many of you are very quick to judge and should lay off the OP just a bit.

:hug: Wow, thank you!:hug: No I was just sharing my day, as friends sometimes do w/ other friends.

Perhaps if you think the dog is really in a bad situation, even if there is no animal control in your specific town, you can reach out to a neighboring town and ask them if they can look into it?

Not sure a neighboring town would have any jurisdiction here. Most small towns are surrounded by other small towns.

The point as I read it was that she just wasn't going to go out of her way to help the "lady" who was abusive, ungrateful and disrespectful to her after she had helped that lady corral her dog the other time it was loose. I don't think she meant it to read as if she had the dog in her custody and then turned it loose to be malicious.

We have dogs run loose in our small town all the time as well. Do I feel like a bad person for not nabbing every single dog that runs by my house? No. And that doesn't make me a bad person either. It doesn't even make it a bad act, imo. Dogs run loose in small towns. It's not a sin. Name-calling, belittling and judging someone however.....

Oh look! A meteor! ;)

I believe last time the dog was loose, the lady was also chasing it. The OP *did* help her catch it then. The owner drug it home by the collar. I doubt in between the f-bombs the owner was hurling that the OP had time to search the collar for ID. The dog wasn't running the neighborhood unattended - it got out and the owner was chasing it. I still can't figure how anyone thinks you can snatch a dog from under the nose of someone who is chasing it.

and you can believe if anyone talked like that to me- especially in front of my kids - I would NOT be helping them do much of anything!

This time she chose not to help, to just let it go. Not "release the dog" but as in "not concerning yourself with a situation."

ex: Don't worry about the (insert whatever here) just let it go. I think there's some kind of regional language difference. I don't know where the OP is, but here, "let it go" means "don't worry about it" :)

At any rate, the fact that you got your kicks out of watching the woman run around after the animal, showed me that you really could care less about the dog, you just wanted to see the woman get frustrated and mad. Which we all know she probably took out on the dog.

I have to agree with this statement. The dog could have gotten hit or if it ticked the owner off enough, goodness knows what she would do to it once they got home.

Sounds like the neighbor should have the dog taken away. And OP, granted, you had no legal responsibility to help catch the dog. But, in my opinion, it says a lot about a person's character if they have the ability to help an animal and purposely choose not to, just to spite the owner.

This time she chose not to help, to just let it go. Not "release the dog" but as in "not concerning yourself with a situation."

ex: Don't worry about the (insert whatever here) just let it go. I think there's some kind of regional language difference. I don't know where the OP is, but here, "let it go" means "don't worry about it" :)

You mean vernacular?

I don't think we are misunderstanding what she did. I am truly bothered by the OP's post.

You mean vernacular?

Don't worry about the vernacular 'just let it go'.

Sorry, but that's an incorrect use of the word "vernacular".

Don't worry about the phrase 'just let it go'.---would be correct.

The word vernacular refers to the collection of local words and phrases, not to the specific word or phrase itself.

Hope that helps.:)

Don't worry about the vernacular 'just let it go'.

Sorry, but that's an incorrect use of the word "vernacular".

Don't worry about the phrase 'just let it go'.---would be correct.

The word vernacular refers to the collection of local words and phrases, not to the specific word or phrase itself.

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks, Professor. Geez.

I did look it up:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ver·nac·u·lar Audio Help /vərˈnækyələr, vəˈnæk-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ver-nak-yuh-ler, vuh-nak-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. (of language) native or indigenous (opposed to literary or learned).
2. expressed or written in the native language of a place, as literary works: a vernacular poem.
3. using such a language: a vernacular speaker.
4. of or pertaining to such a language.
5. using plain, everyday, ordinary language.
6. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of architectural vernacular.
7. noting or pertaining to the common name for a plant or animal.
8. Obsolete. (of a disease) endemic.
–noun 9. the native speech or language of a place.
10. the language or vocabulary peculiar to a class or profession.
11. a vernacular word or expression.
12. the plain variety of language in everyday use by ordinary people.
13. the common name of an animal or plant as distinguished from its Latin scientific name.
14. a style of architecture exemplifying the commonest techniques, decorative features, and materials of a particular historical period, region, or group of people.
15. any medium or mode of expression that reflects popular taste or indigenous styles.

I can't believe you are more concerned with my grammar. :rolleyes:

I don't think your grammar is her main concern.;)

Well, paying my bills with enough left over to have my pedi for vacation is actually my main concern. Everything else is just for laughs. :)

EDITED to add one another maain concern...my beauty sleep. Good night!

The "Lady" had no leash, took the dog by her neck and shook her violently yelling mostly f bombs in front of my 7 yr old.

Well without knowing her side of the story I can't make a judgment about "abuse". Does she watch The Dog Whisperer by any chance? I've seen Caeser do some things to dogs that some would classify as "abuse". Perhaps she is trying to imitate him?

I believe last time the dog was loose, the lady was also chasing it. The OP *did* help her catch it then. The owner drug it home by the collar. I doubt in between the f-bombs the owner was hurling that the OP had time to search the collar for ID. The dog wasn't running the neighborhood unattended - it got out and the owner was chasing it. I still can't figure how anyone thinks you can snatch a dog from under the nose of someone who is chasing it.

and you can believe if anyone talked like that to me- especially in front of my kids - I would NOT be helping them do much of anything!

:goodvibes Iowa. Yes, let it go as in don't worry about it.
:rolleyes1 Don't worray, bout a ting....cause evera little ting gonna be aright.:rolleyes1

:goodvibes Iowa. Yes, let it go as in don't worry about it.
:rolleyes1 Don't worray, bout a ting....cause evera little ting gonna be aright.:rolleyes1

I love that song!

Don't worry about a thing
cause every little thing is gonna be alright
don't worry about a thing
every little thing is gonna be alright

Rise up this morning
smiled with the rising sun
three little birds
pitch by my door step
singing sweet songs
of melodies pure and true
saying, this is my message to you:

don't worry about a thing...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter