I have to post this here cause only you guys would understand

mgsquared

A big kid at heart
DH was talking today about movies he wants to see while on vacation stateside. Which is bad enough but he CANNOT wait the 3 months it would take for movie xyz to get to Austria. This is bad enough.

Then he says he can probably catch one or two while we are at Disney! Is there a cinema there?

At this point I look at him like he has two heads. To which he responds with:

"What?! We are there for 8 days! That is SO long! You're being ridiculous with all the planning. When I went to Disneyland Paris I just showed up and did what I wanted and it was fine!"

...... You guys..... I might kill my husband. :/

LOL There are movie theaters/cinemas in the area yes. I don't know exactly where but somewhere. They're used to be a theater at Pleasure Island I think. I don't know if it's still in that area or if you have to go off property. Someone will though. ;)

DH was talking today about movies he wants to see while on vacation stateside. Which is bad enough but he CANNOT wait the 3 months it would take for movie xyz to get to Austria. This is bad enough.

If there were movies I was really eager to see I'd be excited for the chance to see them 3 months early as well. Some websites like fandango.com can help with finding the ones he would like to see nearby.

http://www.fandango.com/orlando_fl_movietimes

"What?! We are there for 8 days! That is SO long! You're being ridiculous with all the planning. When I went to Disneyland Paris I just showed up and did what I wanted and it was fine!"

Of course he said this, it's what any rational human being would say. :duck:

I believe there are theatres at both DTD and Citywalk.

Why not let him do a movie one night? He'll only be miserable if he has to stick 100% to your plan without incorporating what he really wants to do...

I know Downtown Disney has a theatre. You can send him to the movie and you can spend some quality time shopping! :rotfl2:

No need to off him just yet (but I certainly understand the urge lol) there's a movie theater at downtown Disney. They even do a dinner and a movie thing where they serve you dinner while watching the movie. That way you can multitask and lose less Disney time! I can't speak to how the food is as I haven't done it but maybe someone else here can.

There's an AMC theater at Downtown Disney, and showings should be available on Fandango or the AMC website (https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-downtown-disney-24-with-dine-in-theatres). Since it's at Downtown Disney, I'd just put him on a bus from the resort and say "Have a nice day!" and head to whatever park I was going to! :rotfl2:

All kidding aside, if you have time set aside for DTD, plan in a movie that day. If you're staying onsite, he can always head over to DTD to see a movie if he wants to, even if you don't. The AMC also has a movie and dinner concept going - so maybe you can combine those one evening.

One thing to note - 3 months is a long time in the theater business! Often times around my area (which is kinda mid-size, but not anywhere near the size of Orlando), we'll get blockbuster movies that are hard to find a decent time to see after 3-4 weeks! Often they're long gone 2 months later! So definitely double-check what's showing at the AMC.

Why not let him do a movie one night? He'll only be miserable if he has to stick 100% to your plan without incorporating what he really wants to do...

There's an assumption in your post that the OP is only planning for herself, that she's not taking what he's said in the past into consideration, and that along with jetlag he'll have ANY sort of energy to get to a theater and watch the movie without totally passing out.

The dude doesn't understand that 8 days at WDW isn't that long of a trip at all, and that they are going to be pretty tired.

DH travels for work and always thinks he'll go see movies, and I think since 2009 he's actually made it to the theater while abroad 5 times.

That said, it's pretty archaic that the Hollywood industry still makes other countries wait and wait. It's ridiculous. There should be no 3 month wait for a movie to get to Austria.

And OP I love your other post where you want to bring chocolate to the German CMs. They probably ARE homesick for real chocolate instead of the American pretend version!

No comment on the movies, except that it may be a nice break for him..
With that said, I am the perpetual planner with the disney trips. This time, my wife just kept with the "we'll get it when we get there.." Well, no need to explain how THAT worked out..:rotfl2:

There is a nice 24 screen theatre at Downtown Disney he can enjoy.

But, one thing to remind him about, and just a side comment and then leave it alone, compare the size of Disneyland Paris to Walt Disney World. Oh - and remind him that he will not be able to just casually stroll to the movie theatre. He will have to either drive or take a bus. The size of Disney World is eye opening for lots of first timers.

There's a theater at downtown disney in Anaheim. I used to scoff at it asking 'who would ever watch a movie while at disneyland?' Then last trip I was there the opening night of Veronica Mars which was having a very limited theatrical run and not playing in my town at all. Guess what. I left Disneyland early that night to watch a movie. :rotfl: So I understand both points of view 100%.

I saw a movie when I was there. It was at night after the parks were closed though. I don't think it's that weird. I used to be the same way and still am to an extent. All the good movies seem to be limited release and don't come near me for a while if ever. I've driven a couple hours just to see a movie or seen a movie while visiting another city for an unrelated reason. It's obviously something he enjoys. I say let him do it. I still associate the movie I saw with Disney and the good time I had on the trip, so he will likely do that same and be more likely to come back.

My family LOVES the Fork and Screen dinner and movie at the Downtown Disney AMC! It's great!! The seats are so comfortable, the food is delicious, and it's such a unique experience!!

We always try to catch a movie there when we go! Usually we do it on arrival day or try to schedule a break evening to do DTD!!

I highly recommend it and it could be a fun date night to relax!!

My DH is not a fan of AK so he has skipped that park on a couple of our trips. He and DS like the Gospel Brunch so one trip they went to the brunch and then saw a movie while the rest of the group went to AK. Another trip DS didn't travel with us but DH still opted for a rest day on the day the rest of us were going to AK and instead slept in and then headed out for a movie. We travel in the Summer so a cool movie theater can be a nice break.

I'm not one who thinks that we all need to stay together or do the same things.

Disney World is tiring! Anyone that thinks they can go 8 days open-to-close is probably a marathon runner or Mount Everest Sherpa!

2 or 3 hours resting the feet somewhere once a day is a good thing. That can be in the room, on a lounger by the pool, or in a comfy leather seat in a movie theater. It's all good.

Thanks for the replies guys! :cool1:

He does love his movies. It's not so often that this whole 3 months thing happens but it is with one movie and there are two others that won't be out until 3+ weeks after in Austria. He does love his movies! Fitting in 3 with our NY days only being 3 and then 8 in WDW (7 really with the traveling) is super frustrating. I am not interested in any of these.

Regardless, thanks for pointing out the cinema. We do have two days where it could maybe be squeezed in depending on how long a Boma dinner takes. It will mean rushing out and no time spent exploring AKL. Or missing Fantasmic.
But it is a big want for him so it will have to be done. I will for sure find ways to keep myself entertained. :)

I will not off him but I am frustrated. Even with my last analogy of "Disney World is twice the site of Manhattan" he still does not get it. He has never been to FL.
He was all, "it's mostly resorts and empty land for future parks!" Siiggghhh.

Thanks for the replies guys! :cool1:

He does love his movies. It's not so often that this whole 3 months thing happens but it is with one movie and there are two others that won't be out until 3+ weeks after in Austria. He does love his movies! Fitting in 3 with our NY days only being 3 and then 8 in WDW (7 really with the traveling) is super frustrating. I am not interested in any of these.

Regardless, thanks for pointing out the cinema. We do have two days where it could maybe be squeezed in depending on how long a Boma dinner takes. It will mean rushing out and no time spent exploring AKL. Or missing Fantasmic.
But it is a big want for him so it will have to be done. I will for sure find ways to keep myself entertained. :)

I will not off him but I am frustrated. Even with my last analogy of "Disney World is twice the site of Manhattan" he still does not get it. He has never been to FL.

I would be frustrated if I was doing most of the planning and the other person was dismissing my warnings like that. How rude.

Don't miss anything you want to do, give him the directions and let him do his thing, then go do your thing. Both of you will be happy.

Can't really say he's wrong about that. Disneyland has more attractions in two parks than Walt Disney World has in four.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter