• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I have room change-itis and need help sticking with a decision.

GF is wonderful. I actually find the pool there very relaxing. I hope you enjoy the Electric Water Pageant, it's a classic. It's so easy when you have a monorail resort. Enjoy your special trip!

So after saying to myself that I was sticking with the GF all week (and really not checking to see what was available), I logged in this morning and decided to take a peak...

And what do my wondering eyes did appear? A standard poly room, for 200 more than what I was paying at the GF (basically my original reservation that I cancelled). Now, some might think I'm crazy for paying more for a standard view Poly room (versus a lagoon view GF room) but I switched back. I was kicking myself for two months for switching out of that room and now I have it back. I am so excited for this trip, time to change my signature back.

If only I didn't have to wait 134 more days. :rolleyes1:bored::cutie:

Last edited:
I've only stayed at POFQ, but I can't imagine GF not feeling magical. One of my favorite magical moments occurred at GF when going to 1900 Park Fare when we got off the monorail to the band playing Disney classics and my kids started dancing in the lobby. It's on my bucket list of places I want to stay now!

So after saying to myself that I was sticking with the GF all week (and really not checking to see what was available), I logged in this morning and decided to take a peak...

And what do my wondering eyes did appear? A standard poly room, for 200 more than what I was paying at the GF (basically my original reservation that I cancelled). Now, some might think I'm crazy for paying 200 more for a standard view Poly room (versus a lagoon view GF room) but I switched back. I was kicking myself for two months for switching out of that room and now I have it back. I am so excited for this trip, time to change my signature back.

Just saw this and Poly is the #1 place I want to stay- congrats!

I was very concerned that the GF would have a snooty and stuffy feel to it. We only stayed there because my husband wanted to, but I was sort of dreading it. Once we stayed there, and we all loved it! It is a beautiful resort- just lovely in every way. Never felt like we were out of place and we are very low key people. Between the beautiful resort, the smells, the grounds etc- we were very happy with it and are staying there again this year. We like the monorail and having access to the other monorail resorts.

And what do my wondering eyes did appear? A standard poly room, for 200 more than what I was paying at the GF (basically my original reservation that I cancelled). Now, some might think I'm crazy for paying more for a standard view Poly room (versus a lagoon view GF room) but I switched back. I was kicking myself for two months for switching out of that room and now I have it back. I am so excited for this trip, time to change my signature back.

So not crazy, this is our favorite resort and you are going to love it! Definitely walk over to GF and check it out as well it's a pretty and relaxing walk!

Glad you kept checking and found just what you want! Now you can switch to longhouse-request-changitis. :-)

While the Grand is not my favorite Disney resort (currently WL, we'll see if the Poly or BC can top it with first-time stays this year!), it really is magical. The MK is just SO close--and if you don't want to take the monorail, you do have the boat option. I never expedited monorail issues there, so maybe my view is a little tainted, but that 3 minute ride to the MK was just incredible. The rooms are lovely and spacious, and the lobby just has a very calming feeling. You can't help but feel relaxed and truly on vacation there. We didn't hit the pool bar until the last day and wished we had earlier! Great, super friendly service and an awesome menu.
It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd certainly never turn it down! And while I've never stayed at POFQ, I have stayed at POR. It's lovely and I certainly have fond memories, taking the bus to every park can get old fast.
The one thing moderates have over deluxes, IMHO, is the quick service! I loved all the options at POR.

ETA: I see you've snagged a room at the Poly! Woo hoo!

My favorite resort is POFQ, and Grand Floridian is not at the top of my list of resorts I want to try. But for $500 difference there's no way I'd pass that up! Since you wanted to stay at Poly, you are still only a short walk away! Best of both worlds!

ETA Just saw you updated, sorry! Congrats on getting the Poly back!

Last edited:
POFQ and GF is our families 2 favorite resorts. If you have a great deal to stay GF then go for it, those deals are becoming a LOT harder to get:( We are not big fans of the POLY, but would love to stay at GF again. The advantage the POLY has is it is closer to the TTC to walk and catch the Epcot monorail, would not recommend taking the monorail to or from Epcot while staying at GF. We never thought we would have liked GF as much as we did and surely did not think our DDs would love it, butit won us over big time. We still do not think it is worth the $$$$, but if we find a great deal we will be ecstatic to stay there again:)

I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I would go with POFQ. Have stayed there three times and absolutely loved it! Have never stayed at GF, only been there for dinner and shopping. But just doing that didn't give me the right "feel". It just felt stuffy to me. Actually, my whole family agrees! No one has any desire to stay there at all. The monorail part is nice, but it seems the monorail is constantly having issues and really can't be relied on. POFQ, there's just not a bad room in the resort, it's so peaceful, relaxed, quaint.

I know you said money's not an issue, but I'd rather take that $500 and spend it on something else!

I find that it generally only feels "stuffy" to people who have never stayed there. GF isn't stuffy. It's beautiful and if money isn't an issue, it would be my choice every time. It's about as magical as it gets - grand, beautiful, the orchestra, the castle, the monorail. It's very Disney.

I have stayed in both, and for personal reasons, I prefer POFQ over GF. But that's not to say GF is bad or that you won't like it. Everyone has different taste, and different needs when they travel. If I can get a deluxe for a good rate, I go for it!

Have stayed at GF many times and now own DVC there. It's an absolutely beautiful resort! You will not be disappointed! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter