I have a silly question!

dsnymom2003

Mouseketeer
Hi! We are trying to plan our trip and I was looking at rv rentals. I will have 7 people with all the kids and need a larger rv. I have checked out Tina's campatthe fort and would love the service but, just can not do a $135 a night and then add in the site cost. I am looking at a c class 32' from cruiseamerica. Here is the question-how hard are these things to drive? I have driven a school bus before but, I am worried about getting this thing parked! Any advice??

If you can drive a full size school bus you wont have a problem.
Parking is like any thing else, practice, practice, practice. Do not be shy about having your guests get out and watch too. That is a big advantage of numbers.

I'd think it would be a piece of cake after driving a bus. :thumbsup2

When you back into your site at FW a couple of things, you need to park close enough to the sewer connection so the hose will reach. We park close to the edge of the pad on the side with the sewer hookup and electric service, cable tv pedestal. That way you have as much pad as possible in front of your rv door.

If you can find a class A you can afford IMO it would be a better choice for your gang. A class A is IMO eaiser to handle. We own a 35' class A and have never had a problem driving. You sit higher and have a more open veiw of things.

Thank you! I think I am just nervous about driving in Orlando and then having to back the beast up! I guess I won't know until I try right? Thanks again!!:goodvibes

The class C with a cab-over bunk usually provides more sleeping quarters than an A.

You would most likely have a driver's side slide-out in which case parking as far left as possible would be limited to how far the slide deploys. Some slides are deeper than others. There are times where a 20' sewer hose comes in handy.

The largest vehicle I have ever driven is our Suburban and I found a Class C pretty easy to handle. As for parking, I have to confess I let hubby do all the parking, but if you have someone get out to direct, you should have no problem.

By the way, we had 7 people (4 adults and 3 kids) in a 32' Class C for our trip last year and I can't say it wasn't a bit tight at sleeping time, but it was otherwise comfortable. We found it helped to also pitch a tent. We used that as the "changing room".

Have fun!

My best advice for driving in Orlando is drive the speed limit, stick to the right, ignore the locals and be ready for your turns. Use the turn-by-turn directions on Google and use street view so you'll know what to expect before and when you turn. Use a real map and as cheesy as it is have somebody else responsible act as a navigator, that way you're not having to worry about driving an unfamiliar vehicle and figuring out where to go. Even if you use a GPS have the other person pay attention to it.

Dsnymom, When you park you won't have to worry about slideouts and awnings on a rental. So that makes your job easier,but you will find out you
want as much room on the "porch" side of the rv.
We always park within a couple of inches from the edge of the pad even with our slideout.

I don't think rentals from Cruiseamerica have awnings or slideouts, for good reasons, I could be wrong.

try this site ******************** tell him Amy from NY referred you. He has awesome campers. Let me know how you made out.

I don't think rentals from Cruiseamerica have awnings or slideouts, for good reasons, I could be wrong.

Not familiar with CruiseAmerica. I see alot more of the El Monte RVs at the fort than I do CruiseAmerica. El Monte RVs do have slide outs in their Class C and Class A motorhomes. They also have awnings on some of the models.

Thank you! I think I am just nervous about driving in Orlando and then having to back the beast up! I guess I won't know until I try right? Thanks again!!:goodvibes

Mom,

I don't know how much you would save doing Cruise America versus Tina's option. There is a definite price in my mind to have somebody else take the trouble to set up and take down. You'll enjoy the Fort either way. The drive from CA in Kissimmee to the Fort is not that far nor hard but do whatever makes you comfortable.

Bama ED :surfweb:

I'm going to agree with Bama Ed on this. By the time you rent an rv, pay for the gas, cleaning fees, insurance, or anything else the company throws in, $135/night might actually be cheaper. I could be wrong, but if I were you, I'd check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter