I have a serious packing issue!

madelinesmum

DIS Veteran
We set sail on Saturday and I have NEVER been at such a loss as to what to pack!

Here's the forecast right now.

Port Canaveral-High of 50

Key West-High of 66

Cozumel-High of 75

Grand Cayman-80's THANK GOODNESS!:worship:

Throw in there the night time activities and I don't know what on Earth to do!

I don't want to over pack!:headache:

Hi! Just replied to your other thread... We are going in a couple of weeks and I am planning on taking stuff that can be mixed and matched and layered. Maybe even a pair of thermals (I am REALLY cold natured! LOL) to put under jeans and stuff. I hate to overpack but I would hate worse to be cold and miserable. I think I am going to pack half warm and half cool weather clothes and plan to do a couple of loads of laundry :laundy: :sad2: while on board.

Kelli

Hi there! We went on the same cruise you are taking next week one year ago!! So I understand your problem!! I have little ones and I took all summer clothes but added a white cardigan sweater and jean jacket. I do wish I had included some leggings to under my little ones dresses. It was chilly in the mornings, but it warmed up quite warm during the days and stayed that way through bedtime. I brought capri pants and went with mostly summer tops and a jean jacket. I did have one light sweatsuit (I usually travel in it...much more comfy on the plane!!) and I did wear that twice throughout the cruise. If this is your first cruise remember to try really hard not to overpack as the cabin space is limited. They do have a washer/dryer area that I used both times we traveled. Have a super time...I'm jealous...wish I was going again this year!!

I have the same packing dilemma(we're going this Saturday, too!). I'm always cold, so I'll be packing more spring-ish clothes than summer, and I'll have a sweater or sweatshirt with me(depending on where I'm going) at all times.
When we went on our Thanksgiving cruise in 2006, it was freezing during departure(they were giving out hot chocolate before the sailaway party). I saw the weather looks chilly/rainy for our trip. Just pack clothes that you can layer if necessary. Don't feel you have to dress like it's summer, if you think you'll be cold.
It's funny-I'm from New Jersey, and it's freezing (27 degrees) here right now, but when I look at the temps for our cruise, I'm thinking I'm still going to be cold.Think warm, think warm:beach: It will be warm when the sun's out (probably not hot). Good luck, whatever you decide. See ya onboard!
Sheri

This type of weather is hard not to over pack. When we do WDW & it's "iffy" weather like this I pack convertible pants for DH & DS (the khaki cargo style ones that zip off into shorts - look for them at Kohls). For myself I have some that roll up into different stages & button with straps. They go from floor length to like capri length all the way up to the knees. You can dress them up or down with your tops & shoes. I would also take jackets with removable linings so you can have maybe a fleece type thing if you need it (50's on the water is cold) or just a shell if it's say 60's. I would also pack a sweatshirt each and some long sleeves & 3/4 length sleeves. Personally, I'd rather be warm. Take some short sleeves to wear under things or alone if it gets warm enough. Pack layers, definitely. The dining rooms are always cold. When we did the first Mexican Riviera cruise back in 2005 (July) we had a couple of days in the 50's & it was rainy & windy. We were SOOO cold. I ended up wearing the same jean capri pants for like 3 days!! And the ships store was over run with people buying sweatshirts & sweaters. Who'd have thunk it for July?!

Good luck!!

I'm really good about packing light and washing clothes onboard. My tip is to lay out everything you're thinking of bringing and then just put half of it back. I find you don't need half of what you bring and why lug it around?

We did the Eastern last year and I visited the laundry area twice and it was so easy and took so little time. And I had more room in my suitcase for all the stuff we brought back!

BTW, we'll be on the same Western cruise as you next week. There's great group on the meetups board all on this same cruise, too. You should go say hello -- we're actually meeting up!

Laura

Crusing on the same date as you~! I am dreading the cool weather and what to pack as well.
Hope you enjoy yourself~!

Thanks everyone! Nice to see fellow passengers on the thread from my cruise!

When we sailed October of 2008, I was freezing during Pirates in the Caribbean deck party so I plan on being super prepared this time! We tried to stay on deck 9 to watch the movie after the party and nearly froze to death!

Thanks for the tips and..........let's pray it's really warm in the Caribbean for our days at sea and for the ports!:thumbsup2

I just got back from the Mexican Riviera, and we ran into the same problem. I only wore my shorts once, they were denim, so if I had needed to wear them 2 or 3 times, that would have been okay.
To save space, I wear a cover-up in port, over my swimsuit, rather than more shorts and t-shirts. The cover-ups can also double as a night shirt.
ALWAYS have a sweater that you can wear with your dress or slacks to dinner, and/or to the Clubs or on deck at night. I usually change into a sweatshirt and a pair of lounge pants....this time velour for the cold nights, usually the knit exercise type for the Caribbean.
I took only one sweatshirt with me, because I knew I would want to buy one from down there anyway, and I did. That's also how I've ended up with half a closet full of DCL and island sweatshirts! ;)

I do the same with the boys in my family...the cargo type pants that unzip into shorts. They're a lifesaver.

Oh....and on this last trip....I always wear tennies on the plane, with socks for when they make me take my shoes off. I hadn't packed any other socks, thinking I'd be wearing flip flops on the ship. At the last minute, I tossed in several extra pair of socks, and I am SO GLAD I did! I wore tennies every day but one. And the socks to bed, too, because my feet were freezing!

I'm sailing on the 16th and debating rather or not to bring a blanket to wrap up in on the beach. :lmao:

We sailed in February several years ago and it happened to be a VERY COLD and WINDY week. Honestly, we were miserable and were among the many folks fighting to buy the few sweatshirts they had in the shops. Being from New England we thought we'd never be cold, but we were. Our shorts and short-sleeved shirts were useless and we never put on a bathing suit except for CC - yes, that's how cold it was. :sad1: We go again next month, and I will be prepared for cool (cold) and windy. I say take long sleeves and long pants, a sweater or a fleece and hope not to need them!

BTW - the crew insisted that they NEVER have weather like that and that the week before was 80s every day. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter