I hate know it alls......

You could have looked those things up online right then and proven them wrong.

At a get-together, my next door neighbor was wrong about something (again). He's always pretending to know everything, and we're supposed to just be his admiring audience. Next day I looked up the subject and when I saw him privately, I related the correct info. He wouldn't acknowledge what I said, and he completely changed the subject. That taught me alot about how know-it-alls operate, and I pretty much ignored my neighbor after that. He has moved on to misinforming other people, who pretend to listen but just ignore him.

I am right there with you. I am saddened,even on the disboards, someone gets and and says "I am not sure, but I think you can........and proceed to give a wrong answer.

Then we correct it, with an explanation (not directly at the PP) but to make sure the right info is out there in full.

Then I am condescending. Ugh. Forgive me, I love Disney.

You mean like connecting rooms and fire codes?

Yea, I hate it too when you give someone correct information and then get told you are mean and condescending. Especially when it's NOT the answer the OP wanted. I'm like, no, it is not mean to post facts just because you didn't want to hear what those facts actually are.

I can't stand Disney know it alls who actually know NOTHING!!!! :rolleyes2

I was just at a cook out at my best friends house. She has neighbors who always invite themselves over. So 20 minutes ago we start talking about WDW and how my BFF is joining us next summer and plans to stay at POR. Next thing you know - the know it alls start.

Here's their FACTS they were 100% sure they were right about....
(they know these to be facts because they just got back from Orlando)

That to add no expiration option to a 5 day pass is $10.

To add the dining plan even when staying offsite is $21 and you can eat anywhere on property.

That POR is NO DIFFERENT than the All Star Resorts.

Here's their opinion....

to stay onsite is nuts.... universal is better anyway.

And that I'm ANAL about disney. (not sure if I can use that word) lol

I got so mad I left and now I'm home lol
It's even worse when they are supposed to know it all!!! Example Disney TA's. When I used to work for said TA years ago we went to WDW for an Agent Education Program where we visited all the resorts, a bit of the parks and had seminars etc. We were given comp tix to visit the parks prior to our 3 night cruise (amazing) Anyways we had dinner at WL and then 3 of decided to hit 3 parks before meeting the other for Fantasmic. We cabbed it to AK then bussed to Epcot then boat to DHS. Our boss argued with us that you can't take a bus park to park it doesn't exist. I said yes it does I've traveled here solo and this is how I park hop there is so a bus that goes from AK to Epcot. She wouldn't budge. And surprise I was right and we did just that. Needless to say she was peeved when we showed up for Fantasmic and told her we took a bus and then was angry that we "deserted" the rest of the group blah blah blah. So people who think they knw it all and know nothing are not nearly as people who are helping people with their WDW trips and don't. :)

You could have looked those things up online right then and proven them wrong.

Yeah, I'd have gotten my smartphone out and brought up a site that gives the rundown on those things. Because I too am a know it all and the fastest way to shut one up is to prove them wrong. And, well, you get to prove them wrong. :hyper:

:) ahhhh...attack of the "Great Pontificators"...We have a co-worler who does that all the time. We rescue each other by calling on the phone or paging the person away. Many times when they pick up the phone, I just ask, "is he still in there? I think you have a meeting or something, right? Then once he leaves we laugh behind his back...Mawhahahaha:stir:

:) ahhhh...attack of the "Great Pontificators"...We have a co-worler who does that all the time. We rescue each other by calling on the phone or paging the person away. Many times when they pick up the phone, I just ask, "is he still in there? I think you have a meeting or something, right? Then once he leaves we laugh behind his back...Mawhahahaha:stir:

I think you have a great system going! :goodvibes

Growing up with a know-it-all (dad) and having a MIL that is one, I can tell you from experience that the best way to deal with people like that is to let them continue believing that the sky is purple and 2+2=3. You can show the proof in a book or on video and they will still never believe it...instead you become the disrespectful and argumentative moron. Let it go and move on. :) Hate is an awfully strong word and even stronger emotion. It hurts nobody but you and we are only talking about a theme park here.

Thats the joy of technology. I would have whipped out my phone, loaded up the disney website and the ticket page, and be like "nope, according to the official website ...." But i can totally understand your frustrations. Its like talking to people who think disney is only for kids, or people with kids :rotfl:

that all is wrong where in the heck did they get all that from? some people just have to totally ignore . there is gal in my office she flys from Indy to Orland for $99 round trip????? BUT she never can tell anyone how..... several years ago was $50 but they raised the price on her...LOL even guest pass if you know someone who works for airtan is higher than that. so we just let her rattle.. then is the gal in the hair salon I go to and she KNOWS it all she be a great one for your neighbors friend...she has to UP whatever someone says. she got married a yeara go and low and behold he WORSE than her..If I ask her a question and she obviously knows nothing about she will just walk back to her station...THAT gives me the answer.

You can find cheap airline tickets sometimes. I think spirit air was what we used for $100 ticket from Ft lauderdle to Chicago. The deals usually never work with our travel needs,but they do exist.

I don't think I would have given your Know-it-all the satisfaction of leaving. I would have said that her experience was not mine and that if at a later time anyone else wanted to discuss how I get tops and codes for our family trips I would share. I never try to prove ignorant wrong.

glad you came to the DISboards to get away from those know-it-alls...absolutely none of those here :lmao:

it never ceases to amaze me when people get riled one way or the other about Disney.

Not riled about this at all but to chime in..I recently called a AAA TA to inquire about a membership and what we we save on a package ,etc. she volunteered to get quotes for me to let me know how much we would save.

When questioning where we wanted I told her POR. She said you will have to do 2 rooms ( we are a party of 5). I said nope we've done this before. She kept telling me since my youngest is over 9 they will not allow it. I couldn't seem to convince her we did this last November and my youngest was over 9 then. She also kept telling me they wouldn't let me have a trundle. I tried explaining we had a refurb room and she told me they didn't have any of those there lol.

Needless to say I won't be going through her ;).

I get really mad too. And then I realize Im getting mad a someone over Disney and that makes me feel a little silly. This is my obsession not theirs most people dont take planning as serious as I do. And I have to remind myself "oh well they are missing out"

You might be taking info about this theme park a little too personally.

Haha probably.... but this guy always shows up univited and drives me nuts no matter what the subject!!! they all know I'm a disney travel agent so to tell me I'm wrong mad me so mad..it's my job to the know correct prices. ( plus it was late and a good time to leave!!)

I had a moment of clarity late last night... possibly they saw a sign that said save 20% on meals with the DDP and mistook it for thinking it costs $20 or so.
who knows!

Hey!!! :wave2: long time no talk!!!

I stopped arguing and left ...lol I didn't even say goodbye... I grabbed my purse and left through the front door :rotfl2:

I wouldn't have done that. You kind of let those other people "win" the argument and I'll bet now you are labeled "the crazy Disney lady".

I would have just let them say what they wanted and then said something like "I really haven't experienced that, how did it happen?"

I am labeled the Disney Expert everywhere but I never give advice. I can only make suggestions and let the person to whom I'm speaking make their own decisions. I can't tell people not to stay at a certain resort because, well, I'm not them. I can tell them what I like and not like about a resort. Same thing with restaurants. I would never go back to California Grill but there are those who would love it. Just not me so I'm not going to say "never go to California Grill!" just because *I* didn't enjoy it.

You can't force your opinions on someone else.

I know how all of you feel.

At work or other places when I hear "know it alls" spew wrong information, I used to get into long debates, etc. but I've grown weary in my old age :lmao: ...

and I just let it go sometimes because frankly, I don't have the time anymore. :)

some things I heard at work these past two weeks from "experts" who are "experts" because they've been there several times...:

"Disneyland is the same as Disneyworld (they don't ever seem to say Walt Disney World) except that it's smaller and disneyworld has THREE parks."

"The Disney Wonder is disney's newest cruise ship."

"if you rent a wheelchair you get to the front of every line at disney."

:mad: vs :lmao:

yes I'm going to brag about us DISers ... I am claiming to know every little thing about Walt Disney World, but I think what separates us from the traveller self proclaimed "expert" is that they get their knowledge from going to the parks often and maybe reading a couple of things, but I think that WE have made Walt Disney World our hobby and our passion, and we actively study it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter