• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I don´t want to bring bad news but....

Can someone explain why people are getting warned for mentioning offsite options like bonnet creek? What kind of disney mafia is running these boards?????

I doubt that's why they're getting warnings. There is a whole board dedicated to offsite options and hotels on property that aren't owned by Disney.

here is the warning- and YES it was re: bonnet creek.

You have received a warning at The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com.

Reason:
-------
Off-topic

Comments about Bonnett Creek are great on the Orlando Board but are off-topic for the Disney Discounts board.

Thanks.

Apparently you are NOT allowed to discuss the cost of Disney discounts/costs AGAINST offsite options like bonnet creek. Comparing costs and what you get for your $ SHOULD be the POINT of this dang board! I'm ANGRY!

But I have always seen such discussions. Here and the budget board, and I've been around for 3 years. That doesn't make sense to get a warning for it. :confused3 Maybe since some of the postings are a little more "intense" than the usual discussion that normally takes place about on-site versus off-site.

(edited to add I didn't mean I don't believe you as that "but" might imply. I'm just very surprised you got a warning. I read your post and can't understand how it warranted a warning. A couple other people, yes - but yours? I'm shaking my head).

Disney has thought of a way around this. If I don't make the reservation at least 6 months in advance I run the risk of not being able to find the dining reservations I want. Added to that some people's desire for a River view or preferred room and people almost have to book without a discount.

Stacy

But you don't have to have a room reservation to make dining reservations 6 months out. Yes, you don't get the +10 days, but you can still go online each day and make reservations. I make my dining reservations at 6 months out, and usually stay off site so I don't even later make a room reservation.

asmit4 said:

Reason:
-------
Off-topic

Comments about Bonnett Creek are great on the Orlando Board but are off-topic for the Disney Discounts board.

Thanks.

Apparently you are NOT allowed to discuss the cost of Disney discounts/costs AGAINST offsite options like bonnet creek. Comparing costs and what you get for your $ SHOULD be the POINT of this dang board! I'm ANGRY!

Why would you be angry? They have a whole space dedicated to this topic.

Stacy

Reason:
-------
Off-topic

Thanks.

I agree - that's ridiculous. It's like being reprimanded for comparing the price of a Ford to a Chevy on a Ford forum.

That's really petty. It's not moderating, it's censorship. And inconsistent at that - there are literally thousands of posts in the Disney Theme Parks forum comparing, mentioning, even praising Universal Studios. How is that any different?

And now I'll probably get a warning. Oh well..........

Reason:
-------
Off-topic

Thanks.

I agree it's pretty petty. I guess the moderator doesn't agree with your point of view.:confused3

I think we all need to be very thankful for danny and the messages we get. ;) I have a trip planned in December. The 4th - 10th.. and I would be happy for any type of discount! :) If Danny has any insight into those dates, I would GREATLY appreciate it.. For anyone interested.. I do have a bounceback booked for Aug. 2013 and I do have free dining at a moderate. POFQ to be exact. Dates are Aug. 18 - 26. It is the "reg." free dining... :)

I think we all need to be very thankful for danny and the messages we get. ;) I have a trip planned in December. The 4th - 10th.. and I would be happy for any type of discount! :) If Danny has any insight into those dates, I would GREATLY appreciate it.. For anyone interested.. I do have a bounceback booked for Aug. 2013 and I do have free dining at a moderate. POFQ to be exact. Dates are Aug. 18 - 26. It is the "reg." free dining... :)

thank you for sharing

Did you have to book a certain type of room to qualify for the free dining?

It SEEMS (only that,seems, we must wait things may change) that the next FD offer will be a litle different from last years promotions, moderates and the luxes will get QSDP and nothing :crazy2: for values, I see clouds in the horizon :confused3 , sorry for that, and let´s celebrate the New Year with our beloved ones. The most magical and happy new year for all of you pixiedust:

that is what is currently being offered for UK residents on the Disney international booking site but their offers are usually different than booking in the US

that is what is currently being offered for UK residents on the Disney international booking site but their offers are usually different than booking in the US

They sure get some good pricing, though. I just priced out a stay at CSR from 11/29-12/8 with 7 day park hoppers and CS dining.

On the international web site the total was: $2,342 (at current UK exchange rates)

On the domestic US web site the total was: $4,069

Apparently Disney doesn't feel guilty charging $1700 more because we live in the US.

Did you have to book a certain type of room to qualify for the free dining?

Nope, we booked a standard room with free dining at POP for Sept 2013 using that bounceback offer. The only restriction was that we could not book a Little Mermaid room, but, we could book the suites at AOA.
They sure get some good pricing, though. I just priced out a stay at CSR from 11/29-12/8 with 7 day park hoppers and CS dining.

On the international web site the total was: $2,342 (at current UK exchange rates)

On the domestic US web site the total was: $4,069

Apparently Disney doesn't feel guilty charging $1700 more because we live in the US.

It's a marketing strategy by Disney, remember that UK residents have to pay a lot of $$$ for their plane tickets averaging from $1500-$1900, so, they are really not saving much, if anything at all. Plus, their average stay is from 2 to 3 weeks, that is a lot of money that Disney is getting from souvenirs and lots of extras.

Using that week long sample that you posted, they would be paying $4,069 plus
$1,500 in plane tickets, that would be a total of $5,569 for a week long stay at a moderate. For the weeks they usually travel for (3 weeks) it's $12,207 priced in the us website or $7,026 with their "special pricing". Sure, some people can afford to pay $12,207 for a basic package for a 3 week vacation, but, the average person would not or cannot pay that.

Nope, we booked a standard room with free dining at POP for Sept 2013 using that bounceback offer. The only restriction was that we could not book a Little Mermaid room, but, we could book the suites at AOA.

It's a marketing strategy by Disney, remember that UK residents have to pay a lot of $$$ for their plane tickets averaging from $1500-$1900, so, they are really not saving much, if anything at all. Plus, their average stay is from 2 to 3 weeks, that is a lot of money that Disney is getting from souvenirs and lots of extras.

Using that week long sample that you posted, they would be paying $4,069 plus
$1,500 in plane tickets, that would be a total of $5,569 for a week long stay at a moderate. For the weeks they usually travel for (3 weeks) it's $12,207 priced in the us website or $7,026 with their "special pricing". Sure, some people can afford to pay $12,207 for a basic package for a 3 week vacation, but, the average person would not or cannot pay that.

I agree that airfare from the UK can be expensive. But you are suggesting that Disney subsidizes the total cost of a WDW vacation for someone from the UK by heavily discounting resort/tickets/meals packages because they already pay a large amount for something else (airfare) that provides no revenue to Disney.

If that is true, then I see it from a different point of view - that there must be incredible margins when Disney can offer the same vacation package to somebody else at almost 50% less; regardless of where they are traveling from to take advantage of it.

And if they discount for those folks to come to Wdw b/c of their steep airfare, then I sure hope that they will discount DcL med sailings for people to come from the US.

Laketravis said:
If that is true, then I see it from a different point of view - that there must be incredible margins when Disney can offer the same vacation package to somebody else at almost 50% less; regardless of where they are traveling from to take advantage of it.

Likely no. Granted the DISBoard people are not a representative sample. However based on what I've learned from them here is what I can theorize:

1) UK people likely will not be bringing food with them. For a two week stay and luggage costs, they will buy every bit of food they consume in Florida.

2) Because they are staying 2-3 weeks the odds that they will need medication, laundry services or even socks rises.

So yes, Disney likely does decrease the cost of the vacation to offset the airfare. However it is not because their margins are so high that they can afford it but because they expect to make up those profits in another manner (food, clothing, merchandise).

It is the same reason that a two day ticket is almost $90 per day yet a 10 day ticket is only about $30 a day. It isn't that their margins are so great but that because statically speaking the longer they have you in the park, the more you will spend.

Stacy

I agree that airfare from the UK can be expensive. But you are suggesting that Disney subsidizes the total cost of a WDW vacation for someone from the UK by heavily discounting resort/tickets/meals packages because they already pay a large amount for something else (airfare) that provides no revenue to Disney.

Does the international site list prices in euros or dollars? If dollars then it's an even better deal because the euro is stronger than the dollar. If euros then the discount isn't as big as it seems. I believe right now that 1 euro is equal to 1.33 dollars. Again, if it is in dollars that's a good deal because, assuming I'm doing my math right, $1,000 euros would give you $1,333 dollars.

Also, in my experience from conversations with folks I run into in my travels, many Europeans will do 2-3 weeks in the Florida area, not all at Disney. For example, I was on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and one family I met was doing the 7 day cruise then a week at Disney. That's probably not true of all families of course but my point is that Disney can't bank on giving discounts hoping that all vacation dollars end up in their pockets.

Does the international site list prices in euros or dollars? If dollars then it's an even better deal because the euro is stronger than the dollar. If euros then the discount isn't as big as it seems. I believe right now that 1 euro is equal to 1.33 dollars. Again, if it is in dollars that's a good deal because, assuming I'm doing my math right, $1,000 euros would give you $1,333 dollars.

Also, in my experience from conversations with folks I run into in my travels, many Europeans will do 2-3 weeks in the Florida area, not all at Disney. For example, I was on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and one family I met was doing the 7 day cruise then a week at Disney. That's probably not true of all families of course but my point is that Disney can't bank on giving discounts hoping that all vacation dollars end up in their pockets.

The international website presents pricing in pounds. I did the conversion for everyone:

"A stay at CSR from 11/29-12/8 with 7 day park hoppers and CS dining.

On the international web site the total was: $2,342 (in US dollars at current UK exchange rates)

On the domestic US web site the total was: $4,069 in US dollars"

That includes dining, so while I could only hope to be able to spend 2-3 weeks at WDW, I don't see how Disney could make up the more than $1700 difference in profit over the course of each week from souvenirs, t-shirts, medication, chap stick, etc.....

The international website presents pricing in pounds. I did the conversion for everyone:

"A stay at CSR from 11/29-12/8 with 7 day park hoppers and CS dining.

On the international web site the total was: $2,342 (in US dollars at current UK exchange rates)

On the domestic US web site the total was: $4,069 in US dollars"

That includes dining, so while I could only hope to be able to spend 2-3 weeks at WDW, I don't see how Disney could make up the more than $1700 difference in profit over the course of each week from souvenirs, t-shirts, medication, chap stick, etc.....

Oh - sorry I missed that you already did the exchange! That's a big difference in price then...I agree that Disney wouldn't care about making up the cost of airfare for a family or that a family of 4 from Europe will spend more on items than a family of 4 from Wisconsin, given your price comparison that includes a CS meal plan for both and that you are assuming a 7 day trip for both.

I should probably add that I priced both out based on two adults and one child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter