I can't shake the allure of staying on site

I would check out renting DVC points. I priced out a vacation from May 31 - June 5 and the price was about the same for staying at a value resort and I got Old Key West for $25.00 more than Pop Century. Im guessing Old Key West is a much better resort and since I'm a single mom with a 4 year old, The ME is a huge advantage with luggage so I do not have cart around 2 suitcases and a stroller with my toddler in it. It's going to be quite an adventure going to Disney alone for the first time ever.

We don't spend much time in the room, and would prefer being closer to the parks with convenient transportation, so we stay on site. :confused3

Caution....

Once you stay onsite...you'll never stay off-site again!!!

My addiction began with a stay a POFQ. It's a smaller resort which I liked. Something about the immersion of Disney...the rest of the world is gone and vacation mode sets in quick! You won't see your vehicle again until after check-out.

But POFQ was a gateway drug. Sure I did Coronado Springs and dabbled a little at Carribean Beach, but soon I found I wanted to try a deluxe resort.

One stay at Wilderness Lodge and I was hooked on the hard stuff.

It's so bad we just made our first DVC purchase....we are too far gone to save. :mickeyjum:donald::goofy:

Ughhhh... we have been twice now, and both times stayed off site at a very nice resort about 15 mintues drive from the gate. It is roomy and reasonably priced, and I would certainly not mind staying there again. However, the Port Orleans resort are so intriguing to me. I have never stayed onsite. I think I would love the perks, the magic bands, the free parking, the extra magic hours, the beautiful grounds. But to stay on site would cost us an extra $500, for a much smaller, less luxurious room. And before anyone mentions the values, I just can't. I haven't been inside one, but the photos online make me cringe. Is it really worth the extra for on site? Really? $500 would buy a LOT of character meals. We are planning on going July 30-Aug 8, so I doubt thy'll be offering any discounts while we are there.

Do what you can afford. Staying offsite is just fine. Use caution when asking folks in these boards -- many of whom will happily pile on credit card debt to stay onsite. We stayed offsite for years and added to our savings. We purchased Dvc 3 yrs ago (with cash) and now stay onsite 5-6 weeks a year. I'm very glad we made that early sacrifice

Family of 4 and we have stayed offsite, moderate and Deluxe (CR). There are a few reasons we will not stay offsite unless we are traveling with a large group (several families and friends and stay in the same house).

1. The Disney bubble is real. Can't really explain it, but there's just a different feeling when you know you are there. The staff have always gone above and beyond when needed and the cartoons in the lobby, the music in the common areas, just a little more enjoyable.

2. If desired, no driving. We usually rent a car as I like to drive and be more in control of things. However, the ability to just enjoy the buses, boats and monorail to take you where you need to go is great.

3. EMH - We will typically head to the parks in the morning, take a swim/rest break at the hottest part of the day when everything is the busiest and then head back for the evening. The morning hours mean getting your favorites done before the crowds and being able to stay out late with limited crowds in the parks is a lot of fun. At 12:30AM walking down a quiet Main Street with the lights and castle glowing. Just can't get that anywhere else.

4. Free Dining - If you are lucky enough to plan a trip when it is offered and it makes sense financially (not planning to debate if it's worth it or not), being able to just grab what you want and not worry about the bill is pretty cool. Everyone has their own band and the ability to just grab a snack or have a meal without needing to bother me. Of course my kids are older and very responsible eaters (if you don't count the occasional Funnel Cake, Mickey Bar and Waffles:lmao::lmao:) so they can just get what they need.

We have always utilized the refrigerator to have healthy snacks, milk for cereal/breakfast and whatever else we needed to keep fresh. The moderate rooms are not huge, but provide enough room for us. Our stay at CR was very nice, the monorail going through the lobby is a nice touch, but for us and our $$ we will stay moderate. Every few years when we feel like splurging, we will stay on the monorail. Poly is up next based on the consensus.

If you have the $$, it is worth it to stay on property in our opinion. If you need to take a trip and be very budget conscious, off site is your best bet. Not only can you eat and cook there, you have more access to the off site restaurants that are certainly less expensive than eating on property.

Agree with pps that it is a personal decision. I'm struggling with a similar decision and have been on the Disney resort board as well as Orlando area hotels, etc. board. I will say that if DH did not point out that he will have Hilton points to burn, so we would have about 3 nights free at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista, which has the EMH perks and is super close to DTD and the Disney bus system, I'd probably forego offsite in favor of onsite. I'm a fan of the Disney bubble in my experience and the perks that go with it. We are not planning on renting a car so the transportation is key as well. What we are planning on doing is a 3 split stay, as we are going to US first. We will stay at a US resort to get the early morning admission and line pass for a night or two, then move to the Hilton, and finally move to a Disney resort, probably deluxe and possibly deluxe villa through point rental. Like you, I can't pass up the savings of 3 free nights -- it's just too much. Having a split stay might give you that experience of being offsite and onsite and with the direct comparison, give you that peace of mind knowing which way you want to go next time.

We always stay on site however we never pay rack rate either. We either use the ap or DVC discounts

I'm a HUGE fan of staying offsite, however, I think everyone should try and stay onsite at least once (even if it's just a split stay). It gives you a good basis to know what's right for your family for future trips.

We've stayed onsite twice, and from now on will only stay offsite. Not that we hated being onsite, but we like our space and with the money we save offsite, we can stay longer. We're okay with driving ourselves and don't feel like we miss any magic offsite. Some people have stayed offsite and will never stay onsite again. But I like that we know because we've tried both.

I agree with the PP's who say that getting an onsite hotel is part of the budget for us. Some people can stay offsite and be perfectly content and not feel like they're missing anything essential. That's not us. To us, the parks are about a third of the vacation. The other parts are the dining options and the hotel. But if we couldn't stay onsite that particular year, then I'd wait until I could. But some people are OK with - or even crave - a bit of a break from Disney. I prefer not to break the fantasy while we're there, but lots of people are ready for "the real world" mid-vacation.

Some people are all about the rides. Some people are all about the shows. Or parades, or character greets, or tours, or shopping. You have to figure out what your family needs to feel like a complete vacation. We almost never bother doing character meets, or even character dining. We don't really spend much on souvenirs because that eats up the budget quick.

This is the first time we're going where we're going to not do about 2 TS per day - but we have a toddler and don't want to deal with the stress of making her sit still. So to me that feels already like a little part of the vacation is going to be missing. But if, for example, I felt like I had to cook in the room, I'd probably not be too thrilled. It's one thing to save a few bucks here and there, it's another thing to feel deprived. I'm OK with eating breakfast in our room because we're not big on breakfast food, and we're all OK with cold cereal. I don't feel deprived. BUT lunch and dinner we prefer something hot - and I would miss those if we had to save money on them.

It sounds to me like you should at least try to swing an on-site resort. Then you can make a decision for the inevitable next time you come - was it worth it? Was it nice but not essential? What are your Disney priorities?

ETA: I just wanted to clarify that I wouldn't exactly feel "deprived" if I'm packing a sandwich at Disney, either. That came out a little wrong! But the majority of the year, we scrimp and save, rarely eat out, have one vehicle, etc. to be able to afford, for one thing, a nicer vacation. That week or so a year is our big break from reality - and that's why we go all out on it.

I can't bring myself to want to stay off site. Plus, to me, the savings of staying off-site wouldn't really be savings. We'd have to rent a car and pay $15/day for parking....that right there would eat away at half the 'savings' and that isn't taking into consideration the perks of being able to schedule ADRs and FP+ before off-site guests and to be honest. Our 'vacation style' is all-inclusive. I like to feel like we are being 'taken care of' and staying on Disney you really feel like Disney is taking care of you. I don't have to pull out my wallet left and right. I don't even need to carry it on me, just need that handy little magic band ;) I would rather stay at a value than a luxury off-site house, but that is us. Plus I know my kids would love the values.
We did Port Orleans Riverside and it was BEAUTIFUL, lots to do and just a really great resort. I would happily go back if our family weren't too big. Maybe someday soon they will have dvc rooms and we will be able to ;)

I agree. We would not say offsite. here are some advantages to consider by staying onsite:
1. Free transportation to and from the airport
2. No need to rent a car or pay for parking
3. YOU CHECK YOUR LUGGAGE AT THE RESORT. SKIP THE LINE AT THE AIRPORT.
4. We think that we save 2 to 3 hours a day by staying on site and booking our fastpasses 60 days in advance.
5. Total immersion into the magical world of Disney by living in the Disney Bubble for a week. It is the Happiest Place on Earth. Really a huge stress reliever from the real world. Disney takes care of you as soon as your plane arrives at the airport.

My husband and I go every year by ourselves and stay on site. Its pretty much a worry free vacation.

I agree. We would not say offsite. here are some advantages to consider by staying onsite:
1. Free transportation to and from the airport
2. No need to rent a car or pay for parking
3. YOU CHECK YOUR LUGGAGE AT THE RESORT. SKIP THE LINE AT THE AIRPORT.
4. We think that we save 2 to 3 hours a day by staying on site and booking our fastpasses 60 days in advance.
5. Total immersion into the magical world of Disney by living in the Disney Bubble for a week. It is the Happiest Place on Earth. Really a huge stress reliever from the real world. Disney takes care of you as soon as your plane arrives at the airport.

My husband and I go every year by ourselves and stay on site. Its pretty much a worry free vacation.

Also, I forgot to include:

On your flight to Disney you luggage has a special tag on it and it is delivered direct to your room. You do not need get it at the airport.

I completely understand your problem and I'm finally giving in...sort of.

We are going in April and staying 4 nights in 2 POP rooms, and then moving offsite for 9 more nights. I don't think we could stand being crammed in hotel rooms for longer than 4 nights...no easy laundry or kitchen without paying way to much IMHO.

This will give us a taste as to how the onsite thing feels with kids.

We are even trying the DDP even though I'm not sure we'll get our money's work due to 10 year old "Disney Adults", but it's an experimental trip.

I don't blame you about not wanting to change resorts mid-stay, but we are making it do-able by probably packing separate gear so I don't have to drag everything out of the van when we're at the hotel and then we can do laundry at the house once we move there. Our location swap day will be no-parks, but we have a late breakfast reservation at Ohana (gotta use those dining credits!) since we may not be able to get into the house until the afternoon.

Staying onsite isn't as simple for me as it is for some folks, there are 10 of us, 2 real adults and 8 kids 13->infant so on-site is pricey and will get worse once #7 turns 3. We have always LOVED staying offsite for the convenience of the space and the ability to do laundry at night and use the kitchen some. We drive down, so we have our own vehicle and it is nice to get our kids to the van from the parks and into their own carseats to fall asleep on the way to the house. I can't see it taking any longer to get to Emerald Island than it does to ride Disney transportation to a hotel, except for the quick stop at Target or Walmart for things we need.

Good luck with your decision, I just figured I could explain what I'm trying out to finally scratch my itch to stay onsite with my kids.

I am also planning another trip and am hit with the same dilemma. First step was to price out the dream vacation--6 adults and 1 child (all my children and DH). Put it all on the site with dining, tickets...Came to $11,000. :scared1: I am hoping we can get discounts to bring that down and we will pay OOP for the dining so skip the DDP so we can stay on site. We will still be a couple of thousand dollars over a couple of off site hotel rooms...But we want to experience on site one more time. {This is also probably our last entire family vacation.}

$500 is a lot of money. If you don't feel comfortable putting it on the table for the extra, then don't.

Maybe, a couple of days on and a couple off would give you the best of both worlds.

$11,000!!! Yeah, that would be scary. You can save quite a bit of money by packing breakfast foods to eat in your room and snacks to tide you over at the parks. The only meal we usually eat out is dinner, and there have been a couple of times we just order pizza to be delivered at our resort. MUCH cheaper that way.

We drive down, so transportation isn't an big deal to me. I had forgotten about doing laundry. Do they have on site laundry at wdw? It was really nice to be in a condo with a washer/dryer.

We might stay on site this trip to save a little. DD will be 2 when our vacation starts, and will turn 3 while we are there. If we stay on site we won't have to buy her a ticket or pay for dining, since she'll be 2 when we check in.

For our family, it depends on who is going with us and what our budget is for that year. We have done all off site, combination of Universal and Disney onsite and this time we are doing two different Disney resorts. We don't mind changing resorts if it gets us where we want to be. That said, our very favorite is on site at Disney for me and my daughter. If I'm taking my non-Disney fan husband, we will stay off site.

W the small children it's much easier to stay off site. I would go nuts in a hotel room for a week with kids that nap or go to sleep early..

We usually try to stay on site one night and then off for the rest of vacation. The day we spend on site we usually spend at the resort because they are so fun. We don't like paying a premium for the resort when we aren't even there most of the time.

We do both regularly- off and on. In fact this summer we are going for 2 weeks: first week at a Springhill Suites, second week at the Beach Club. And the reasoning for us is basically how we plan to tour the parks. When we are off, we will spend many hours at the parks, wake early, afternoon pool break, back for dinner until DD is tired. When we move to onsite, we will spend mornings in the parks and spend the rest of the day enjoying the resort and then go back for a few rides late evening right before fireworks. We do drive in the summer, but when we fly, we usually rent a car as DH prefers driving and parking rather than the bus, especially during hot months.

I feel, if you are not spending time at the resort, other than sleeping, laundry, showering, then there is no reason to spend $$$$. If you plan to enjoy your resort, then the extra $70 a night is definitely worth it. Now, that being said, another example from us...last Easter week, we spent 1 night at Pop, then moved to the Omni Championsgate for the same price since we had my mother in law with us. She was using a motorized chair and the bus system would have never worked for us! And she definitely preferred the luxury of the Omni over Pop.

We drive down, so transportation isn't an big deal to me. I had forgotten about doing laundry. Do they have on site laundry at wdw? It was really nice to be in a condo with a washer/dryer. We might stay on site this trip to save a little. DD will be 2 when our vacation starts, and will turn 3 while we are there. If we stay on site we won't have to buy her a ticket or pay for dining, since she'll be 2 when we check in.

Yes laundry by the pools, pay machines.

I can't bring myself to want to stay off site. Plus, to me, the savings of staying off-site wouldn't really be savings. We'd have to rent a car and pay $15/day for parking....that right there would eat away at half the 'savings' and that isn't taking into consideration the perks of being able to schedule ADRs and FP+ before off-site guests and to be honest. Our 'vacation style' is all-inclusive. I like to feel like we are being 'taken care of' and staying on Disney you really feel like Disney is taking care of you. I don't have to pull out my wallet left and right. I don't even need to carry it on me, just need that handy little magic band ;) I would rather stay at a value than a luxury off-site house, but that is us. Plus I know my kids would love the values.
We did Port Orleans Riverside and it was BEAUTIFUL, lots to do and just a really great resort. I would happily go back if our family weren't too big. Maybe someday soon they will have dvc rooms and we will be able to ;)

Agreed. We don't really "do" the parks much anymore...WDW, to us, is much better as a resort-focused vacation. FP+ and MB's kind of ruined that stuff for us. So, WDW on-site IS our vacation.

A condo, no matter how big, will still feel like I am sitting at home. I need the vibe the WDW resort offers...pool parties, ice cream at my disposal, no need to get in a car for 10 days, mini golf just a bus ride away, multiple themed pools to choose from, lots of fun transportation options (bus, boat, monorail, pretty walks), ability to be at any resort for any meal with just a bus and/or boat ride away.

Offsite holds no interest to me. I can go down the street at home and find a nice hotel to stay at. But, I am flying across the country for the themed resort that is WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter