I Can't believe I won a trip to DISNEY WORLD!

TheTravelingCarters

Vacation Addict
I have never won anything my entire life, so I am still in a bit of shock because I won a sweepstakes that I entered in May. And for my first prize ever, I must admit it is AWESOME!!!! party: A trip for 8 people for 5 nights, at a WDW resort with deluxe tickets and some extras to make the trip magical!

The funny thing is that my husband and I leave on a Disney trip in 8 days. So now as the planning for this summer's trip comes to an end the new planning begins! :surfweb:

Since I do not have children, I have invited my brother, his wife and their two adorable kids! Plus my parents. This will be the second trip that the eight of us have taken together (well actually 7 of us because my niece wasn't born yet). I have lots of details to figure out to make this a special trip for them all. So here we go....

Pre-Trip Report Table of Contents:

1: Meet the Cast
2: The basic details
3: My ADR wishlist...subject to constant change
4: Accommodations- the GRAND way
5: The essay that started it all!
6: Unofficial Daily Plans

Meet the family or better known on here as the cast!

Me-Mandy: Hi! I'm the one still in shock from winning a dream trip. I am 27 years old, happily married and living in Birmingham, Al. As mentioned, no kids yet (but working on that). However, I do have 4 precious dogs. This will be 5th trip to WDW!!!! I am an obsessive planner and I go over my details so much that they seem to constantly change. I have enjoyed reading all the DISers stories and hope to have fun sharing mine! My niece and nephew are a very special part of my life, so I am thrilled to get to share such a great opportunity with them!!
IMG_0186-1.jpg

DH: Josh- The wonderful hubby who can't believe he is going to Disney twice within 6 months. He is more of a comic book character fan than Disney fan, but a good sport about it all. He is excited however to get see The World through the eyes of a kid this time.
February2009CruiseontheFreedom21-1-1.jpg

Mom: Cindy She LOVES Disney everything and is overly excited about the trip. She is a wonderful person, which is whom I wrote the winning essay about. SO basically it is because of her inspiration that we are even getting this family trip!
IMG_5440-1.jpg

Dad:Randy - Well, he's not a big Disney fan but loves to travel anywhere, and eat anything so he is happy. He loves going anywhere with his family, so I am sure getting us all in one big place like WDW will be a dream for him too.
IMG_0489-1.jpg

BRO: Devilon- The last time my brother was has been to WDW was the summer of '87 when I was 5; so he will be surprised by all the changes. Plus he is so excited to get to take his kids on such a great trip and looking forward to all the wonderful food I have been bragging to him about.
0705250101-1.jpg

SIL: Stephanie- My only "sis" is super excited about the trip. They have been wanting to take the kids for a year or so now, but different factors have kept them from doing it yet. So when I asked them if they wanted to go, she screamed with excitement. I think she is mostly excited to see Ava dress up with the Princesses :)
0705250101-2.jpg

Nephew: Jackson - The cutest little man ever. He stole my heart from day one. He has never been to WDW, but talks about going all the time. He loves everything Toy Story and could live in a swimming pool. So when he sees the hotel he will pass out with amazement.
IMG_6318-1.jpg

Niece: Ava Grace - Such a precious little girl; who also never been to WDW. She loves all Disney Princesses, everything pink and eating. I can't wait to see her face when they tel her where Aunt Mandy is taking her.
IMG_6288-1.jpg

That is so awesome!!! Congrats on winning a free trip! I hope it is so magical for the kids, they are so cute and you are all going to have a blast!!!

I am unsure where to begin in my planning process. SO I can start with the basics.

WHEN?! One rule of the prize is that I had to take the trip by summer 2011 and I had to pick my dates and guests by Sept 30th. So I decided to try to first pick a Month, then see who can get off , when. Not as easy as it sounds when talking about 6 adults with 2 kids in school. First we thought, Christmas time would be nice to see...hmmm but not good for 5 out of 8 people. Then Spring Break came to mind....but would that work out?
We got lucky that the kids Spring break is the same week that Stephanie's graduate school spring break is! And there was No blackout dates for the free trip in March! So it all worked out perfectly with step one:thumbsup2
So our travel dates are....drum rolllllllllllllllllllllllllll
March 22nd- 27th, 2011

WHERE? As part of the prize package I get to choose my top two WDW resort choices. I have stayed at The Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary and will be at Boardwalk Inn in 10 days, so I wanted to try a different one. And since we have two little ones I thought having a monorail resort would be real helpful. So I picked The Polynessian and The Grand Floridian. We do not know for certain which resort we will get assigned but the Disney rep said that he doesn't for see a problem with getting either one of those!!!!
So hotel is still TBD

HOW? Since I do not live in the same state as my other family members, my husband and I decided to drive to them and then we can all fly out together. I have requested with Disney that we depart from the Memphis Airport on an early flight. The sooner we arrive the better!!!

OMG that is amazing you got to win such a wonderful trip! I would totally be in shock if I won something like that too! I've never really won anything either. I think I won a wok cooking set in a raffle one year though, LOL.

I would love to read the essay that won you that prize too! In case you don't mind sharing! ;)

We just got back from WDW last night. Will be starting our TR soon. Looking forward to reading more! :cutie:

I would love to read the essay that won you that prize too! In case you don't mind sharing! ;)

I don't mind sharing the essay at all. Here was the contest instructions: "She's the person who's there when you need her the most, lending a helping hand and sharing a hug. It could be an aunt, grandmother, babysitter (even an uncle or grandfather). Just tell us how she adds magic to your life and you could add a little to hers on a Disney dream vacation." So here is the essay I turned in:

As a 27 year old married adult woman now, I have gained a new perspective on the people who have always been a major part of my life from the moment I was born. Our society tends to focus on ones' occupation in life but fail to consider the most important job- an unconditional loving mother. So for me, I would like to consider my mom, as my magical/fairy God-given-mother. She has filled my life with magic since the night of November 3, 1982. And she did this because they considered it part of their responsibility or "job" as my mom. I truly see and appreciate how much her love as impacted my life and made it MAGICAL. To me, having a family with such a wonderful woman is as magical as the wonders of Disney...it brings the same smile to my face and warmth in my heart that no words can truly describe. Cindy Young, my mom,is the one person that has always been here for me at all times: the good, the bad, the sad, the embarrassing, the proud and the once in a lifetime moments. And though she deserves to be recognized for the great person she has been to many, she will feel as if she is unworthy and for that alone, I admire her. This is for my dear momma:

I'm writing this essay, not as a daughter but as an admirer. I have been studying this great woman's movements and actions for 27 years. I have been very lucky to have her as the person I must observe. I've learned so much being her student. I have learned responsibility, loyalty, love, patience, cooking 101, budgeting, the processes prioritizing, how to not let anyone bring me down,and the list really could go on; but above all that I have learned from here either directly or indirectly the most important is how to love those important to me unconditionally.

She may wonder why I would choose a person like herself (who she views often as codependent, insecure and unsure) to have as a role model. Well, from the moment of my earliest memory, I knew without a doubt that my mom loved me no matter what. Though she tells me all the time how much she loves me, no words are really needed to be said to explain it because she has always showed me love through her actions. Throughout these 27 years, I have found things about my mom that make me love and cherish her more. Now, I must admit some of these things are so simple that you wouldn't even think of them as significant, and you might even hope that no one would ever even notice them. But it is these little kind acts of hers, I have been taking notes on all these years.

* She has a love for simple things
* She is an incredibly genuine person
* She believes in me even when I let her down
* She has the ability to know when I am sad
* She knows the right time to call
* She has always put my needs first
* She is still a kid inside with a beautiful innocence
* She treats everyone fair
* She helps everyone and sacrifices herself
* She hugs & kisses me at least six times when I have to leave her

These are just some of the little things that fit together to make Cindy Young the wonderful person that she is. She deserves to be honored with a Magical Trip to Walt Disney World to share with those she has loved unconditionally; not because she is my mother, but because she has devoted her life to being a wonderful, unselfish individual.

Win or lose I want her to know that no matter what comes our way in life that I will always love, respect and admire her. She is my "magical fairy godmother."

In a few weeks I will be able to start booking my dining reservations.
Here's what I am thinking so far....
Chef Mickey's (breakfast)
The Plaza Restuarant (lunch)
1900 Park Fare (breakfast)
Sci-Fi (lunch)
IllumiNations dinner & dessert Grand Gathering
Rainforest Cafe (breakfast)

The other meals will most likely be counter service spots. I know we will probably do a Boardwalk Pizza one day after we play put-put golf. And I am trying to decided whether or not to plan a "fancy" dinner for them to dress up for. I am thinking Ava still may be too young to really enjoy a long dinner...

Anybody have other suggestions for a family of 8 with a 3 year old and a 6 year old?:idea:

I don't mind sharing the essay at all. Here was the contest instructions: "She's the person who's there when you need her the most, lending a helping hand and sharing a hug. It could be an aunt, grandmother, babysitter (even an uncle or grandfather). Just tell us how she adds magic to your life and you could add a little to hers on a Disney dream vacation." So here is the essay I turned in:

As a 27 year old married adult woman now, I have gained a new perspective on the people who have always been a major part of my life from the moment I was born. Our society tends to focus on ones' occupation in life but fail to consider the most important job- an unconditional loving mother. So for me, I would like to consider my mom, as my magical/fairy God-given-mother. She has filled my life with magic since the night of November 3, 1982. And she did this because they considered it part of their responsibility or "job" as my mom. I truly see and appreciate how much her love as impacted my life and made it MAGICAL. To me, having a family with such a wonderful woman is as magical as the wonders of Disney...it brings the same smile to my face and warmth in my heart that no words can truly describe. Cindy Young, my mom,is the one person that has always been here for me at all times: the good, the bad, the sad, the embarrassing, the proud and the once in a lifetime moments. And though she deserves to be recognized for the great person she has been to many, she will feel as if she is unworthy and for that alone, I admire her. This is for my dear momma:

I'm writing this essay, not as a daughter but as an admirer. I have been studying this great woman's movements and actions for 27 years. I have been very lucky to have her as the person I must observe. I've learned so much being her student. I have learned responsibility, loyalty, love, patience, cooking 101, budgeting, the processes prioritizing, how to not let anyone bring me down,and the list really could go on; but above all that I have learned from here either directly or indirectly the most important is how to love those important to me unconditionally.

She may wonder why I would choose a person like herself (who she views often as codependent, insecure and unsure) to have as a role model. Well, from the moment of my earliest memory, I knew without a doubt that my mom loved me no matter what. Though she tells me all the time how much she loves me, no words are really needed to be said to explain it because she has always showed me love through her actions. Throughout these 27 years, I have found things about my mom that make me love and cherish her more. Now, I must admit some of these things are so simple that you wouldn't even think of them as significant, and you might even hope that no one would ever even notice them. But it is these little kind acts of hers, I have been taking notes on all these years.

* She has a love for simple things
* She is an incredibly genuine person
* She believes in me even when I let her down
* She has the ability to know when I am sad
* She knows the right time to call
* She has always put my needs first
* She is still a kid inside with a beautiful innocence
* She treats everyone fair
* She helps everyone and sacrifices herself
* She hugs & kisses me at least six times when I have to leave her

These are just some of the little things that fit together to make Cindy Young the wonderful person that she is. She deserves to be honored with a Magical Trip to Walt Disney World to share with those she has loved unconditionally; not because she is my mother, but because she has devoted her life to being a wonderful, unselfish individual.

Win or lose I want her to know that no matter what comes our way in life that I will always love, respect and admire her. She is my "magical fairy godmother."

Awww I loved this essay! I can totally see how you won. It made me tear up! You should be a writer! (are you?) ;)

In a few weeks I will be able to start booking my dining reservations.
Here's what I am thinking so far....
Chef Mickey's (breakfast)
The Plaza Restuarant (lunch)
1900 Park Fare (breakfast)
Sci-Fi (lunch)
IllumiNations dinner & dessert Grand Gathering
Rainforest Cafe (breakfast)

The other meals will most likely be counter service spots. I know we will probably do a Boardwalk Pizza one day after we play put-put golf. And I am trying to decided whether or not to plan a "fancy" dinner for them to dress up for. I am thinking Ava still may be too young to really enjoy a long dinner...

Anybody have other suggestions for a family of 8 with a 3 year old and a 6 year old?:idea:

Mmm they all sound good! You know what restaurants we were really impressed with this time? We loved the food and service at Le Cellier, and there were lots of kids there. The steak is the best we've ever had at Disney, and they have a really good warm multi-grain bread which I think you guys will enjoy. We also loved Ohana - the food was good, but the service and ambiance were wonderful and kids LOVED it, they have someone handing out leis and teaching the kids how to hula, and race with coconuts around the aisles. They were one of the only restaurants that recognized our anniversary and brought us out a cupcake in addition to dessert. I think you also will enjoy Boma. There are lots of very healty options there. One of my faves was a papaya, grapefruit and avocado salad. Yum. They had lots of fresh veggies and even a mini hummus bar. Sooo yummy and the food was so interesting!

I loved your essay - readers can tell how special your mom is and how much you love her. Congratulations on winning the trip!

Have you thought about Whispering Canyon Cafe? It is loud and fun and informal, which is perfect for a large group with kids.

Enjoy your trip.

Mmm they all sound good! You know what restaurants we were really impressed with this time? We loved the food and service at Le Cellier, and there were lots of kids there. The steak is the best we've ever had at Disney, and they have a really good warm multi-grain bread which I think you guys will enjoy. We also loved Ohana - the food was good, but the service and ambiance were wonderful and kids LOVED it, they have someone handing out leis and teaching the kids how to hula, and race with coconuts around the aisles. They were one of the only restaurants that recognized our anniversary and brought us out a cupcake in addition to dessert. I think you also will enjoy Boma. There are lots of very healty options there. One of my faves was a papaya, grapefruit and avocado salad. Yum. They had lots of fresh veggies and even a mini hummus bar. Sooo yummy and the food was so interesting!

I hadn't thought of Le Cellier for this trip but it is a great idea because I was unable to get a reservation for Josh and I next week! And I was thinking Ohana as an option but not sure if everyone will like the food offerings. And we did eat a Boma last year (it was ok to us, but we would have prefered spending that much money a non-buffet restaurant). Probably won't trek over to the AKL with the kids since we will have no car to get us around easily

I loved your essay - readers can tell how special your mom is and how much you love her. Congratulations on winning the trip!

Have you thought about Whispering Canyon Cafe? It is loud and fun and informal, which is perfect for a large group with kids.

Enjoy your trip.

I thought about Whispering Canyon, but there is nothing on the menu that my husband and I would eat. ( we are very health conscious) If we like Artist Point next week, then I may add that as our "splurge" for the March trip...because I am wanting to take them to Chip & Dale's sing-a-long but not too thrilled with Trail's End as the nearby dinner option.

Congratulations! :woohoo: That works out so well for everyone. I'm sure the kids will be eternally grateful to such a wonderful aunt.

This is what I did after reading your essay. :sad: What a lucky girl you are and what a lucky mom, too!
Momma cried too...I sent her a copy in the mail to her after after I wrote it for the contest...she "filed" it because who ever imagines they will really win these things. But when I told her to get it out again to see it, it was smeared from her tears months ago

Congratulations! :woohoo: That works out so well for everyone. I'm sure the kids will be eternally grateful to such a wonderful aunt.

They will be so excited!!! Now I just have to wait till I get the okay to tell them...gotta come up with a real cool way to do it.

Well, I think I am alone on my own PTR....but I shall keep writing anyways in hopes that excitement will stir up and readers will swarm in:rotfl2:

So we leave in THREE days for Orlando!!!! And I am making my list for the ADR's I want for March because I will hit my 180 day while at the Boardwalk...kind of funny. I never thought that I would be in Disney and making dining ressies for another Disney trip....me likey!:cool1::cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter