• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I can't believe I ate it all 7day DXDP Reviews-COMPLETE 5-2 QSR&Aloha Dinner Show

I don't know what it is about Citricos. Every time I consider it, I end up changing my mind and never going there. The menu just doesn't appeal to me much.

Thanks for the update.

I have to agree, Citrico's is not one of my favorites either.
Seriously, why bother putting pork belly on the menu if you're not going to work with it properly?

I didn't have the pork last time we were there, but given the state of what I ended up with (a more-than-$30 salmon brick) I am not shocked to hear this :rotfl:

I'm sad to read this. Citricos became our favorite of all the signature restaurants last October and we followed up with another outstanding meal in February. Service and food quality have always been excellent.

I'm sad to read this. Citricos became our favorite of all the signature restaurants last October and we followed up with another outstanding meal in February. Service and food quality have always been excellent.

Restaurants do have off nights, they are only human-even Disney humans can't be perfect. I'm glad some other folks had good trips to Citricos.

Those portions of yours were ridiculous. So sorry it was just such an off night there. We liked Citricos, but it did not blow our socks off- but I kind of attributed that to the fact that we ate there the night after V&A's, which our tastebuds were still revelling in! :rotfl: Thanks for being so honest! :thumbsup2

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your amazingly detailed, informative, interesting, and helpful reviews. Your insight and take on the service, food, and cocktails has been invaluable! We are veterans of the DDP, and are doing the DxDP for the first time in June with a great PIN. We will be celebrating our 1 year anniversary at California Grill (our fave) on arrival night. We're also trying many of the restaurants you dined at on our trip for the first time: Les Chefs de France lunch, Yak and Yeti lunch, Narcoossee's, Jiko, and Yachtsman Steakhouse to be precise, so your reviews have just been SO helpful. DH and I have been poring over menus and we just can't wait to take this culinary journey! Many thanks for the reviews of the many cocktails, I can never say no to a delicious cocktail, and it seems we have similar taste! I can't wait to try a Magic Star! I am a faithful follower now and can't wait for the rest of your reviews!!!!!!!! You rock!!!!!!!!!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Woderful Reviews!!!:worship:

Yachtsmen is our favorite Disney Restaraunt and often visit twice in our 2 week vacation.

We are trying Yak and Yeti for the first time this year and very excited to do so now!

Please Continue.....

The California Grill
A dinner of epic portions

Then, the perfect Walt Disney World Moment occurred. I was handed my drink and told by my wonderful waitress to turn my chair around to face the window. The lights in the restaurant grew dim. The music faded in and the first burst of fireworks occurred as I sipped my orange-infused elixir. For many years I had this scene in my mind from watching it on television and movies. There it was, for real, just across the lake-the castle, the fireworks, and the music. A snippet of “When You Wish Upon a Star” played and I felt a lump in my throat growing. I chased it away with a heavy gulp of Grand Marnier, wiped my eyes with a cocktail napkin and watched everyone in the room, even the staff, smile uncontrollably as the show went on. Moms and Dads held their children. Lovers held each other & kissed, and after it was all over, I toasted my neighbors with the few drops of what was left in my snifter.

I have never before teared up while reading a dining review! My husband and I have been doubting our Cali Grill reservation, but after reading your review, we cannot wait to go! :)

Just caught up on the reviews...DH interviewed in GA today...we aren't sure if we will be moving to GA or simply closer to his current job here in TX, but nevertheless, in a mad rush, we are trying to finalize the house projects to be able to sell our home and move this summer...busy, busy, busy...I'm glad that you had new reviews to read when I could spend some time on the boards.

We loved our Hollywood Derby lunch. It was so perfect to have a nice long sit in air conditioned comfort and eat such wonderful food. The meal we had there was our all around favorite, the best combination of appie, entree, and dessert. We got to sit in one of the booths...it was so nice. I'm glad you also had a great lunch there.

Too bad about Citricos. Haven't been. The one time I had a ressie for it, it was arrival night on our August trip to Beach Club. We were relying on Disney transportation. We had gone swimming and were SO tired from that and travel. I couldn't imagine having to deal with the transportation to get to dinner. We had received an upgrade to concierge and they were serving RIBS that night. I canceled the ressie and we ate dinner is our room. On our next trip...it just didn't appeal for some reason...I do hope that your experience was NOT indicative of standard and like you said, that they were having an "off night."

As always, lovin the reviews...

The Great Polarizer-Le Cellier Steakhouse
World Showcase, Epcot

I had to, after reading a little bit on these boards eat at Le Cellier Steakhouse. It was at the time I made my reservation for my vacation and ADR’s the most hotly contested restaurant in DisneyCyberspace. I want to say that the experience for lunch was pretty much awesome. My dining partners included my Great Aunt Barbara and my Great Uncle Ed. These people were very good to me as a child, and I wanted as an adult to thank them properly for everything they had done for me, my sisters and my parents. My Dad nearly died from an horrific construction accident when I was five. Barb and Ed visited with us so mom could go to the hospital, and made sure we had fun. They also gave my mom a job at their flower shop when we were really down on our luck and dad got a bad paying 3rd shift job to pay the bills. They have been Disney lovers as long as I remember, and this was my chance to give back.

The plan was for us to go to Epcot and have early lunch at Le Cellier (what they did not know is we would also be going to Spirit of Aloha for Dinner as well). We opened the restaurant with about 90 other people. Before being seated, we were treated to a vigorous singing of O Canada! in French and English. We were seated in the cool and cave-like dining room , then we were off to the races. This place had wonderful, fast, efficient, and friendly service.

It was a dry day mostly. Barb is diabetic and Eddie has had heart problems in the past. I just didn’t feel like booze. I had a strawberry smoothie and I think Diet Coke was involved somewhere. Lots of water from a fairly warm park day was also consumed.
144.jpg

I had the French Onion Soup and Uncle Eddie had the cheese-beer soup.
145.jpg

Both were excellently flavored and served hot. The French onion soup had the kind of croutons that float, not the kind which is baked to the side of the bowl with cheese.
143.jpg

Pretzel bread rods were served with the meal in a metal cone. These were delicious. Mine was of the whole wheat variety.

146.jpg

For entreés, I had the New York Strip Steak medium rare with some sort of grilled potato. Uncle Eddie had the Prime Rib Sandwich with steak fries, and Aunt Barbara had a Tomato and Mozzarella Salad.
My steak (I ordered big for lunch because of the dining plan) was perfectly cooked and tender. It was seasoned correctly, and the sides were just the right size. Everything was hot and delicious. Uncle Ed’s Prime Rib sandwich magically disappeared and Aunt Barb’s Tomato-Mozz Salad, according to her, was to die for.

Not wanting to lose any value in my dining plan, I opted for dessert , as did my dining companions. I chose the S’more, Uncle Ed-Chocolate Mousse, Aunt Barb-Diabetic Chocolate Mousse.
I was disappointed in my S’more. It was just too much, too chewy, not warm, and there was a ridiculous amount of multicolored dessert sauces smeared all over the plate that had no bearing on the plate composition.
147.jpg

The Chocolate Mousse had a playful presentation and was delicious. The diabetic Chocolate Mousse was a masterpiece for the eye and the palate. This was the only special request dining of the week, and it was pulled off flawlessly.

148.jpg

149.jpg

I paid the bill and tipped handsomely for fantastic above and beyond service. We rolled out of their stuffed. Everything was so good, I forgave the sub-par S’more. At only one dining credit, and reasonable cash prices, I recommend this restaurant as a great value. If you are only on the standard dining plan, and not the deluxe, this is a good way to get a “meat fix” without breaking the budget. The wine list was typical Disney stuff aimed to please everyone, including Mickey’s accountants.
Book early, I hear this place fills up quickly.

Fantastic reviews. In fact, they are among the best I've read on the Dis...not sure how I missed them! My husband and I did the DxDDP in February and had a magical dinner at Cali Grill on V-Day, complete with a window seat for Wishes. I actually cried a little when I was sat at the MIckey-confetti covered table.

I also agree with you about Citirico's...was kind of dissapointed all around.

I think I might have been able to write reviews almost as good as yours had I spent the time to take some notes while I was there, but alas, I was too taken by the moment, as it was my first trip as an adult.

Thanks again for the fabulous reviews. I appreciate hearing more than just, this what I ate and it was good. :thumbsup2

I have ADRs in September for many of the places you are reviewing. Thanks for all the time writing up your reviews been following them faithfully! :thumbsup2

Pretzel bread rods were served with the meal in a metal cone. These were delicious. Mine was of the whole wheat variety.

I am a little bit of a health nut and like my whole grains. Are the pretzel rods always whole grain or did you have to specifically request it? How about the sugar free chocolate mousse/moose - was that an option on the menu or a special request?

I have ADRs in September for many of the places you are reviewing. Thanks for all the time writing up your reviews been following them faithfully! :thumbsup2

I am a little bit of a health nut and like my whole grains. Are the pretzel rods always whole grain or did you have to specifically request it? How about the sugar free chocolate mousse/moose - was that an option on the menu or a special request?

Hi-

The pretzels came in several varieties-I am sure if you ask and they have them, they can bring all whole wheat. The sugar free chocolate mousse was what the diabetic dessert was that day. It may be different when you go-just ask what they have sugar free. Have a great trip!

Wow, thank you for taking the time to review all of your restaurant choices for us! I enjoyed reading them all and the chance to live vicariously through you!

thanks for the detailed reviews - with an eye to where the quality does or doesn't lie! nice to see the pics too!
Let us know next you go so I can eat with you!

The End-ALL Quickservice and Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show.

First, My brief comments on the QSR Restaurants I patronized randomly

The Flame Tree Barbecue-Animal Kingdom.
Everything tastes better on a Mickey Mouse Paper Plate. Out of the QSR I had, this place was the very best. I had a delicious pulled pork sandwich, a fountain drink and a large portion of fresh fruit with it. It was good barbecue, and I did not expect it to be this good in the parks. I had the joy of dining with my friends, the Kolster’s for this meal, which made it better, and I got a kick out of the secluded eating area and seemingly random condiment stations next to tropical trees. It is quick service, it is quality, and it is not cheap.

Cosmic Rays
I liked the animated muppet-thingy playing the organ, that was fun. Driest hamburger of my life-even loaded with goodies.

Port Orleans Food Court-Riverside.
This place is a hidden delight just down the hall from the lobby of the hotel. Several standard food court stations are available, including an impressive bakery with great cinnamon rolls. The pizza was of the personal size found pretty much everywhere pizza is sold in the parks, with pepperoni and cheese being the main offerings. I patronized this place to use my snack credits and fill up my drink mug.

The Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
I took my Aunt and Uncle on this one-they loved it and were shocked and amazed. They loved it. It was a pretty good show. Yes it is corny, but the dancing was wonderful. They got the little kids involved and newlyweds/anniversaries/engaged peoples with the show. They tried to represent each island nation of the South Pacific with a dance.
The beverage situation is great-they bring you soft drinks, well wine, and bud lite draft included with the package. Our waiter switched out my ¼ glass of beer for a cold one before I could ask. There is beverage service available while waiting in line-at typical hotel prices, but hey, you’re on vacation. In addition there is a menu of extensive cocktail goodies available in various oddly shaped drinkware.

150.jpg

Dinner was surprisingly good. I have seen the dinner show food get knocked on this board a lot. Keep in mind-the money is going towards the “show”-not the “dinner”. There was a delightful coconut bread and citrus salad to get us going followed by ribs, roast chicken, broccoli, and coconut rice. We were served family style off of metal-palm leaf serving stands.
151.jpg

We could have all we wanted. I thought the food was on par with “Boston Market”, and I have had worse food in more expensive dinner theatres.
For dessert, we were served coffee if we wanted it and the servers presented, with much fanfare little chocolate mousse volcanoes replete with dry ice “smoke” coming from the center of the tray. They were served with fruit sauces and were “just enough” to satisfy dessert requirements.
155.jpg

Now, I must say something about the Spirit of Aloha show venue-the Polynesian picnic area-the people who work serving the dinner are mostly long time employees. They know where their bread is buttered. They have a great shift job, and automatic gratuity included in every check. The service level is impeccable.

Please, do not offer an extra tip or be sly and try to leave it on the table. These folks will not jeopardize their positions for the sake of your five bucks. I am sure they are grateful and flattered, and it is nice for you to want to tip extra, but I witnessed a server chase down a man in her section to give him his cash back. Please don’t put these nice folks in a compromising position. I have heard that they will not accept tips on beverage checks for the fancy island drinks either, but I have no experience in that department.
158.jpg

I

f you want a great night of fun out for the family or a couple, go to Spirit of Aloha and enjoy. Expect fun and warm feelings, and a cool fire dancing dude. Finally, expect to be fed like family, and not the Queen of England.

It is with a bit of sadness and dismay that I finish my 2009 April restaurant reviews. I have met some wonderful folks on the DIS in the process. I have left my food service career for the ministry since I started on them a year ago. I have found a woman I love. But take heart-for I shall return someday…someday…someday…someday

some

day…

some…day…

AAAAHH!, I’m going back to Disney World with my girlfriend to introduce her to my family in November----AAAAAAHH!---------9Days/8Nights Deluxe Dining Plan-AAAAAHH!-Caribbean Beach Resort---------AAAAHH!---Park Hoppers----Universal to see Harry P. and Friends-----and maybe something that the 7 Dwarfs dug up is involved too.:love: Shhhhhhh. It is a secret.

Pre-trip coming soon.
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I just found your incredible dining review and wanted to say:

Thank you!

I think I just enjoyed your dining reviews more than any I have ever had the pleasure of reading on this board. :thumbsup2

You seem like a very nice man. I wish you all the best as you continue with Seminary (I happen to also be Lutheran), and on your upcoming trip with your girlfriend. Please do put your considerable food knowledge and writing expertise to good use again and share another dining report with us! :)

I loved your dining reviews! Can't wait till the next review and a picture of what the dwarfs dug up for you!!!!!:love:

AAAAHH!, I’m going back to Disney World with my girlfriend to introduce her to my family in November----AAAAAAHH!---------9Days/8Nights Deluxe Dining Plan-AAAAAHH!-Caribbean Beach Resort---------AAAAHH!---Park Hoppers----Universal to see Harry P. and Friends-----and maybe something that the 7 Dwarfs dug up is involved too.:love: Shhhhhhh. It is a secret.

Pre-trip coming soon.
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Love your reviews... especially your CG review. You have a way with words.

btw, I had to chuckle at your announcement... I introduced DH (before he became DH of course) to the family at Disney as well. I thought it worked out really well. He got to know how crazy we are and they got to know how cool and calm he is... :lmao:
I hope your trip will be as magical as ours. We even tied the knot at Disney... yeah... didn't see that one coming did ya? :rotfl:

Good luck on finishing your school!

Thank you for your wonderful reviews - I loved reading them!
And CONGRATULATIONS on ALL the wonderful changes in your life - ENJOY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter