I bought black eyed peas now what???

shoney

DIS Veteran
We are getting tired of the "same old" stuff. I saw a bag of these and bought them. Now I am stumped. I did a quick search and everything was spicy. No spice for us...

If you had a bag of these...what would you cook???

DSis got a recipe from the Internet, possibly the Cooking Light site (?), for Hoppin' John. It was quite tasty, not too spicy.

Use them any way you would a bean. If you eat pork you can make them like ham and beans. Over corn bread. Add some bacon to them.

I add them to a salad.

I just throw them in a crock pot with some leftover cooked ham and cook them. I eat them plain as a bowl of bean soup. Dh adds chopped raw onions.

just be happy in who you are now, you proved you got a little bit of soul

Have you never cooked them the normal way? Boil them with some salt pork and water? When done, enjoy with cornbread.

When you say you "no spice" does that mean that you do not care for any herbs or seasonings or just "peppery" things?

Marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, or basil, etc are additions that can add tremendous flavor enhancements but no heat. Onions, carrots, garlic, celery, and bell peppers (sweet not hot) also add flavor but not heat. Moderate amounts of salt and pepper can also be used.

Salt pork, smoked turkey parts, liquid smoke or ham also can add flavor without heat. Flavorful stock (chicken, ham, etc) preferably homemade are also good additions.

Black eyed peas like most beans are similar to potatoes and rice - a good base to add other flavors to. Rice is a good accompaniment too.

Black eyed peas are sort of like lima beans, there's not much there. If spicy is out, the only hope is bacon or ham. You could donate them to a shelter, like those folks don't have enough problems. ;)

We are getting tired of the "same old" stuff. I saw a bag of these and bought them. Now I am stumped. I did a quick search and everything was spicy. No spice for us...

If you had a bag of these...what would you cook???

This is going to sound crazy but this is what I do. Put the dried beans in a pot with water. Enough water for it to boil down. Add celery salt and onion salt to taste. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Watch and add water as needed. Taste and season to your liking. It should take around 1 1/2 hours to cook. This is the way my very southern mother in law cooked them and how her son likes them. :)

I eat them plain as a bowl of bean soup. Dh adds chopped raw onions.
1d.jpg

We don't get fancy with BEP. No need. The package will tell you how much water is needed for the amount of peas you have. I boil the water, add salt pork and let it cook until it's somewhat done. (I don't add the peas yet.) I taste the water to see how salty it is because all salt pork is not create equal. Some is barely salty and some is quite salty. If more salt is needed, I add it.

Once I get the water salty enough, I add the peas. Lower to a moderate simmer, cover and boil until done, checking every once in a while. Make sure the peas stay covered with water, adding more if needed as they cook. Eat alone or with cornbread. That's it. It's perfection. It really is that easy.

If you don't have salt pork, ham or just salt will do.

If I don't use (or have) the salt pork method like EMom I just cut up a slice of bacon or two and a bit of onion and brown them up in the pot til the fat is rendered and the onions are a bit clear then add the water, black eyed peas. I use garlic seasoning and a tad bit of greek seasoning. The greek is pretty salty so I usually salt at the table. EMom's method works for pinto beans as well :)

I don't like them with salt pork. I use ham hocks.

I render out a couple slices of bacon. Then cook some chopped onion in the bacon fat. Add the peas and water to go a inch or so above the peas. Add the ham hocks and salt and let cook for awhile.

Most of the meat with fall off the ham hocks so you have a good bit of meat in the peas.

Delicious with rice and corn bread.

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I will be trying something this week.

Just for the record we like bold flavors just not extreme heat.
Black eyed peas aren't something you see around here, so I just didn't know what the standard for prep is.

I saw the title "I bought black eyed peas now what???" and my first thought was to suggest exchanging it for a David Bowie album. ;)

Sorry, can't help with any suggestions. I know I never prepared them, but have probably eaten them a few times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter