• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I approach this with a completely open mind regarding AKV...

AKV is our home resort. We have stayed in Kidani each time because we prefer having a slightly larger room and are sleeping 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) in a 1 BR.
We always have a car but use the bus occasionally and have never had an issue. The resort is actually close to Epcot and DHS, and obviously extremely close to Animal Kingdom.

The pool area is great and the restaurants are good. I love the underground parking because your car isn't 125 degrees inside when you go to use it. Our kids enjoy the lobby activities and we make use of the Community Hall. We also like Old Key West and really like that there is a community hall there too.

Next year we are booking a longer stay and I have a lot of points to use so I was looking at 2BRs at resorts we don't normally stay at and was surprised to learn that not all the DVC resorts have community halls. I was thinking about trying to get a room at BCV (which I know wouldn't be easy) but with no community hall I think I may actually rule it out.

AKV was our 1st home resort. Not my favorite, but my DW loves it. Kidani Village is the place we stay when we’re not going to the Parks. We always have a car and you can’t beat the covered parking and the close proximity to the elevators.

To us the animals never get old. That said we rarely spend the points for a savanna view room. The animals are everywhere around the resort and easily viewed from many locations. Besides, the standard views at Kidani are so notable.

-Bus stop view
-Front entrance/all you can see is the side of a bus view
-Ground floor “bush” view ( My personal favorite. Nothing like drinking coffee on your balcony watching little brown lizards running about.)
-pool view ( actually a nice view if you’re high enough)
-Pemba Savanna view ( if you can get this one it’s a GREAT view)

Normally we drive to see non-Disney stuff. Breakfast at the Mara, Dinner at Boma, Lunch at Sanaa.

Boring? Never.

Not a boring resort but more of a laid back vibe then some of the other DVC. We really like the pool at Kidani which is usually less busy and nicer than the one at Jambo. Animals are great and still unique. With the African theme it feels less of a Disney resort than some of the others, especially with the focus on art work throughout the resort.

My biggest issue is the access to dining. There are great offerings there, but getting anywhere else at the resorts will take multiple transportation transfers using Disney "free" services.

AKV is our home resort. We have stayed in Kidani each time because we prefer having a slightly larger room and are sleeping 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) in a 1 BR.
We always have a car but use the bus occasionally and have never had an issue. The resort is actually close to Epcot and DHS, and obviously extremely close to Animal Kingdom.

The pool area is great and the restaurants are good. I love the underground parking because your car isn't 125 degrees inside when you go to use it. Our kids enjoy the lobby activities and we make use of the Community Hall. We also like Old Key West and really like that there is a community hall there too.

Next year we are booking a longer stay and I have a lot of points to use so I was looking at 2BRs at resorts we don't normally stay at and was surprised to learn that not all the DVC resorts have community halls. I was thinking about trying to get a room at BCV (which I know wouldn't be easy) but with no community hall I think I may actually rule it out.
Not trying to change anyone’s mind, but CMs often do things with children in the Solarium or in the lobby of BC. I do not know if there is a schedule to look at. It is NOT the same as a Community Hall, but our DGC have participated in these things.

AKV is our home resort. We have stayed there numerous times since our first stay in 2010. I have to say I definitely don't get bored there. It is a beautiful resort with such a cozy feel to it, but honestly, I do find the transportation a downside. I'm not a big bus fan! The problem is right now we only go into the parks about 2-3 days each trip, so a park day is usually very full. But we also like to take breaks from the parks in the middle of the day, and it's sometimes not worth going all the way back to the resort since it is further out. Now when I retire in two years, our plan is to stay about 10 nights, leaving the resort for only 3-4 hours for some park time and dinner. That will reduce the amount of time going back and forth, which will make staying at AKV for me much nicer. So basically, I believe the love of AKV depends a lot on touring styles.

Not trying to change anyone’s mind, but CMs often do things with children in the Solarium or in the lobby of BC. I do not know if there is a schedule to look at. It is NOT the same as a Community Hall, but our DGC have participated in these things.

Thank you.

We have stayed many times. The view of the animals never gets old even after a week trip. The resort is awesome and one of our favorites. After a recent week-long stay a Caribbean Beach resort, we can say that the buses at Animal Kingdom resorts and/or Villas are better or can be described as close to equal.

Last edited:
AKV is our home resort, and with over a dozen trips we've always stayed here, at least for a few days of our vacation. We find it perfect for a split stay. We have a few busy/go days staying at BC or BL, and quieter, shorter park days while staying at AKL, and plan our AK park day for when we stay here. We've also loved our week-long stays here, and often say when we're in a pool ( they are both great) or patio that we would come and stay here for a week without doing any parks at all.
If we come back midday and head back out for dinner or parks, we get a cab- buses only once a day- but we do that anywhere.
There are some must-do's for us every trip, and a stay at AKL is first on the list.

I have stayed at AKV 4 times, for a total of 34 days. Two times I stayed for 7 nights, and 2 times for 10 nights.
I have never been bored. Between the animals and the other activities, I feel you could stay for a week and never leave, but have plenty to do.

We own at AKV and we stay there once a year. We absolutely love the resort. Is it isolated? Yes. It is. But that’s what makes it so wonderful. You can disable your disbelief and feel like you are in Africa. The CMs, the resort and the animals all work together to make it a very unique experience. I don’t care that it might take me an extra 5-10 minutes to get to the MK. I have giraffes outside my balcony. It’s all worth it.

First, let me state that I LOVE AKV--both Jambo and Kidani...it's not a "wow factor" thing for me; it's just that I love the ambiance, the pools, the decor, the dining and the CMs there -- they're among the best at WDW. I've noticed the many activities offered, but have never done any of them. In fact, were it not for the fact that I do feel "trapped" while I'm there it'd be among my top 3 favorite DVC resorts. But I do feel "trapped"--I'm a walker (how's that for being a perfect fit for Disney?) and you can't walk anywhere from AKV...the road into/out is narrow and there's no curb or or shoulder and the vegetation to the side isn't flat so you can't walk through it...so pretty much no matter what time of day/night (I admit I haven't tried at 3 a.m.) you can't walk out of or into the resort (if a bus or car or truck comes in there's absolutely nowhere for a pedestrian to go)...most people would not be bothered by this, but I am. I do 4-5-mile daily early morning hikes for exercise and at AKV that means endless loops between Kidani & Jambo (which I can stretch to 1/2 mile), up and down corridors, or around parking lots. Not the best "walking path."

Having said that, we've been to AKV multiple times and I'm always willing to go back (it's one of my DS' top two favorite places to stay at WDW)...the buses are great (knock wood: we've never had an excessively long wait for a bus to or from AKV) and as others have pointed out, the time from the resort to a park is not all that different from the MK area...for quick access to all the parks and DS, nothing beats the Epcot area...but even the longest ride isn't really all that long. And the resort itself is lovely, and a stroll over to Kidani, if we're staying at Jambo, or to Jambo if we're staying at Kidani provides a bit of a change of pace. Sanaa is one of our most favorite WDW restaurants, and we like Jiko, Boma & Mara, too...animal-watching is nice, but not a huge draw for me. I love the Jambo lobby/bar area...and peering out onto the savannah from one of the many public viewing areas is a pleasant way to while away some relaxation time, too...

So, I'm always happy when it turns out that an AKV trip is booked...but then again I'm happy to book any of the DVC resorts (except one--Wilderness Lodge--really bad experience there, but that's another story). But for that one exception, I do love them all.

Just got back from Kidani. Nice resort, but with literally nowhere to walk I felt I was in an all inclusive in a Mexican or Dominican coastal reasort, with animals. We enjoyed it still though.

We have been to WDW 5 times and have stayed at AKV from the start so it´s all that I´m used to. Yes, the bus rides are long...er/ish but WDW is HUGE (and this is coming from someone who goes to DLR) so in my mind I relax and enjoy the view!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter