• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am part of the problem with high resort rates

Yes once you have gone deluxe you’re hooked. I said we were going to do deluxe just a couple times because we were getting some great deals. Those deals are no longer available. Now we are still going deluxe without the discount we were getting 😂
Sorry, but we have done deluxe many times and did not notice that big of a difference, and sure did not get hooked. So unless we get a GREAT deal or maybe a special trip, our Deluxe days are over. Just because we can afford it, doesn't mean we're going to be foolish with our $$ just because it's WDW.

We are also so happy we are DVC members. We were discussing this last evening. Pre-DVC, we often stayed deluxe, but slowly moved over to the moderates when the deluxe stays became too costly (or we did split stays). I liked the moderates and indeed we were staying at POFQ when we took the DVC tour in 1991. I often think we would still be staying in the moderate resorts without DVC membership, but now I’m not so certain when looking at the prices. We’ve never stayed off-site. For sure we wouldn’t be visiting WDW every year (twice if we can swing it) without DVC. I realize DVC is not for everyone for a variety of reasons, but I am glad we purchased when we did.

Last edited:
We are also so happy we are DVC members. We were discussing this last evening. Pre-DVC, we often stayed deluxe, but slowly moved over to the moderates when the deluxe stays became too costly (or we did split stays). I liked the moderates and indeed we were staying at POFQ when we took the DVC tour in 1991. I often think we would still be staying in the moderate resorts without DVC membership, but now I’m not so certain when looking at the prices. For sure we wouldn’t be visiting WDW every year (twice if we can swing it) without DVC. I realize DVC is not for everyone for a variety of reasons, but I am glad we purchased when we did.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think that is WDW goal. Make standard hotels so unaffordable that people start considering DVC. It’s a win win for them. A steady influx of money for them to finance their new developments and maintain their hotels, where if you ever get fed up you need to find a buyer to take over your obligation. Now I know so far DVC has proved to be financially beneficial to people who bought early on, but now with the resale restrictions not so sure how long that will last. Either way, we shouldn’t be forced into a timeshare in order to continue to enjoy an affordable trip to a theme park. These hotel rates are completely outrageous and the properties are not delivering in the quality or amenities department against comparable priced hotels.

We just returned last night from a 1 night quickie escape to WDW. We were just there for a week in March (BCV & OKW) so I wasn't really craving a real trip to the parks again but we have lots of SWA points and a companion pass and the timing of flights made it perfect for 2 full days of relaxation in FL. (9:30am Sat arrival to 8pm Sun departure.) We also have lots (prob 15) of non-expiring water park visits. All that we had to buy was hotel and food.
I considered a visit to a FL beach but rental car prices are so high, combined with all hotels being so high, (double what we just paid 2-3 years ago) that going to WDW just made it easy. I figured might as well enjoy free DME one more time while it's still free.
We usually stay deluxe and didn't mind the prices so much in March because we were desperate for a real vacation. Since then prices have exploded. We don't usually visit in summer so maybe we're just not used to summer pricing. WL was over $550 and GF was almost $900 after taxes. This isn't for suites or club level; this was just standard rooms. :sad2: :faint:
This is where I draw the line. Stick a fork in me; I'm done.

We hadn't stayed in a value resort since our 2001 trip, shortly after 9/11. We remembered the room being cramped with 2 kids, the pack n play, etc. We figured with it now being just 2 of us, we'd be ok with a small room. Well, never again. The line for bell services was like 30 people deep and the food court was a zoo. No thanks. I longed for WL so bad. Yesterday we went there for lunch and just sat in the lobby for 10 mins just taking it all in. We then visited BC (my other love) just to ride the Skyliner before it was time to go home. All the time that I spent missing the deluxe resorts though, I was still glad we paid "only" $253.
I don't regret that at all. Considering we were there literally for hours, I'm glad I didn't cave in and let Disney bend me over.

My thoughts are that Disney will ride this gravy train as long as they can. As for us, we're done with WDW for a long while. If Disney does the same thing once DCL starts sailing again, we'll be done with them too. I like to vacation but I refuse to be gouged.

We’re booked at Pop for 9 nights starting December 23 through New Years. We knew it would be expensive, but we’re at $4,635 with park hoppers. That comes out to $515/day before food.

It’s totally insane, but we decided this might be our last trip to WDW for a long time, so we bit the bullet. They’ve officially priced us out, and that’s a value hotel. We could have done a week in Hawaii all inclusive for less than that.

So I agree, at least for this year, I feel like we are part of the problem as well.

Last edited:
The first step toward recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Life is short, and I don't really care how other people spend their money as long as they don't put themselves in a bad spot by spending it recklessly. That said, if you are paying rack rate at this point, Disney thinks you are a sucker and will continue to make business decisions accordingly.

Checked in to YC today. Our first non CL stay and I paid more for this room with no lounge or snacks and a view of ugly trees than I’ve paid for any CL room we’ve ever stayed in. Check in was blah, room wasn’t ready, the food options here are terrible (but honestly they weren’t great at BC/YC prior to covid), I miss concierge... but here I am waiting for my family to dress for dinner and booking an insanely priced trip for December. Count me in as part of the problem too I guess. 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

Well, the new USA Today theme park poll lists the Magic Kingdom at #9, the ONLY Disney park to place in the top 10 in their best theme park poll for 2021! Wonder if that little snub may be part of the solution!

Well, the new USA Today theme park poll lists the Magic Kingdom at #9, the ONLY Disney park to place in the top 10 in their best theme park poll for 2021! Wonder if that little snub may be part of the solution!
Yeah, the list is a little crazy. I like BG Williamsburg but to say it's better than MK is a massive stretch.
Opinions are like ah holes, everybody has one. That list is simply their opinion. It sure wouldn't be mine.
Best Amusement Park Winners (2021) | USA TODAY 10Best

We've been going for years and have spent more money than I care to admit. We have our trip reserved for December because I wanted to visit during the 50th anniversary. I was a little shocked this year at the prices. I'm afraid to admit this but I'm old enough to have experienced the "Food and Fun" package from years ago. Disney used to have some great packages and prices to match. I tell everyone I know that are planning a trip to do so early and look into renting DVC points first. What a savings!!! The rest of my crazy family have developed a love for adventure and national parks. So our trips to Disney have been slowing decreasing. It's a shame when I can fly our family of six to Hawaii or better yet Costa Rica for a week for half of the cost of a Disney trip.

We were at the GF in May and had trash-and-towels every other day and zero other housekeeping (like making the beds, etc.). Hey, it was "only" $600/night, so what the heck.

This was a splurge since we had to cancel 2 planned trips due to covid. We had a good time, but I'd never pay that much again for the limited service, zero fireworks, many favorite places closed, etc., etc.

Right now we have GDT booked for December--and it's $500/night. That's not an exaggeration. That's the price, with taxes included. For a regular room--not some suite or specialty thing. We're hoping for a discount. And were very bummed that there's currently no bounceback.

Sorry, but we have done deluxe many times and did not notice that big of a difference, and sure did not get hooked. So unless we get a GREAT deal or maybe a special trip, our Deluxe days are over. Just because we can afford it, doesn't mean we're going to be foolish with our $$ just because it's WDW.
I’m hooked on the Polynesian. I just love being at that resort, love the restaurants and the monorail.
We do get the Disney discounts but the deal we were getting was like 270.00 a night for a standard at the Polynesian. That’s been a couple of years ago. There’s no way I’m paying 500.00 a night for a deluxe. So I’m not being foolish with our money.

Last edited:
I’m hooked on the Polynesian. I just love being at that resort, love the restaurants and the monorail.
We do get the Disney discounts but the deal we were getting was like 270.00 a night for a standard at the Polynesian. That’s been a couple of years ago. There’s no way I’m paying 500.00 a night for a deluxe.

i haven’t seen the Polynesian under $700 a night w/o taxes and parking fees in months. It’s beyond outrageous.

I guess I'm cheap. We're Value and Moderate people, but we take several other non-Disney vacations during the year. Still, I cannot believe rack rate for the Values moving into 2022. That is Moderate pricing, which I suppose means Moderates will keep inching closer to Deluxe pricing. My husband, daughter and I usually travel with my parents to WDW, but I wanted to take just the three of us on a little trip sometime during the first half of 2022. I struggled to find rates at ASM that were what I considered a "value." All standard rooms are booked up, leaving the preferred rooms at $134/night at the beginning of February. That is quite acceptable. After that there are incremental jumps towards what I have always considered Moderate pricing. I am not going to pay $200+/night to stay at a Value.

all stars music was $250-275 in November 2021 when I first looked!

i haven’t seen the Polynesian under $700 a night w/o taxes and parking fees in months. It’s beyond outrageous.
Yes we haven’t stayed there since we were getting the deal from a travel agent I’m not allowed to mention on here. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge this year. All the other deluxe resorts are so high, except a couple others.

That's just ridiculous. I played around with my dates a couple hours ago and found Movies at $112/night from 1/30-2/3, which I immediately booked.

it varies due to the time of year. When I was looking, I was looking in early November. We decided to stay elsewhere

it varies due to the time of year. When I was looking, I was looking in early November. We decided to stay elsewhere

I was purposely trying to find that sweet spot of low rates, but most standard rooms are already booked through March. Those are the magic few days that I was able to get it down that low.

We are going in a few weeks and had originally booked Pop, but so many off property resorts were offering such great deals that we decided to cancel and book one we'd stayed at in the past. Other than not getting all of the dining I wanted, I don't regret staying off property in the slightest, and will continue to do so unless I can find really good rates on property.

I was purposely trying to find that sweet spot of low rates, but most standard rooms are already booked through March. Those are the magic few days that I was able to get it down that low.

We are going in a few weeks and had originally booked Pop, but so many off property resorts were offering such great deals that we decided to cancel and book one we'd stayed at in the past. Other than not getting all of the dining I wanted, I don't regret staying off property in the slightest, and will continue to do so unless I can find really good rates on property.
Good luck getting a good rate on a rental car. :goodvibes :shamrock: If you have to Uber everywhere, the total cost could end up just as much as the crazy high hotel rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter