• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am NOT staying at a value resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed 7 nights GF CL main building in the middle of Dec. It was the most amazing thing ever...except for the family on the other side of the connecting door that came back at midnight with a 2 year old that had been out too late and screamed and screamed and screamed and screamed!!! We had been at a park all day and were exhausted too! Called the front desk and they said they couldn't do anything. Well we got up early the next morning and PAID IT FORWARD!

Wow . So much for the Golden Rule I guess. :rolleyes1

And a kid screaming vs. adults making noise intentionally really seems like equal things....

My personal preference is to stay in studios or 1 bedrooms, just for the space. DH is ALL about personal space, so staying at Values (which we have done before) is just not for us. We stayed for 2 nights at ASMovies (before moving over to Coronado Springs) and the room was WAY too small for us. Since our kids are now older, we spend less time at the parks and more time at the resorts, so the added space and the balcony areas are used far more. The themes at the values are very cute and our kids loved it, but we just needed more space.

We found that king room at Pop and also AoA LM solved our space problem. Seemed like a bigger room with only the one bed in there. No congestion coming in and out of the door.

I've stayed at values and I've stayed at moderates. Never stayed at a deluxe because I have common sense not to spend *that much* for a room I am hardly ever in.
With that said, I prefer the values. Transportation is simpler and usually closer than the moderates.
The per night cost is manageable, even when booking a preferred room to be closer to the food court and busses.
The theming is nice and makes me feel like I am at Disney.
The mods are themed nice, but I don't get that Disney feel. It feels more like a courtyard or similar.

I've grown to love Pop Century. To me, it feels like home.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, the food court has a wide variety to choose from, the gift shop is nice.
I love that Pop doesn't share busses with other resorts, and I've never had to wait for a second bus to get to the park.

As others have said, stay where you want to stay. Don't let anyone sway you from doing what YOU want.

This is how we feel about ASSP, we have stayed there many times and get a great feeling when we arrive, love the bright colors and the theme. The past two years we stayed at POR, this year we are trying AKL. However I would go back to Sports in a second. We like to do longer trips so we find the values much more affordable.

I've only stayed in values (All-Star Sports & Pop, contrary to popular opinion here I thought Sports was much better than Pop in both size and bus service) so I suppose I'm biased but I seriously think the people comparing values to a Motel 6 or equivalent are out of their minds. I've stayed in various Motel 6 like accommodations and they are much, much below what Disney's values offer. The values are bright, clean and reasonably sized for starters. Trust me, I've stayed in quite a few shady budget motels lol.

I'm sure the moderates are nicer though, it is just hard for me to justify the cost for something I deem to be a place to sleep, bath and get dressed.

ME TOO!, we have tried POP and Movies and sports wins for us hands down!

I just want to know where you stayed at a Motel 6....with a hall? pirate:

the few I have stayed at had a light on, but no hall....

Fargo, ND

was the worst hotel experience I have ever had!!!

They clarified that the parents were yelling at the kid to hush and then the parents continued to talk and laugh loudly and play their television loudly.
Sorry, I missed that. But, it still doesn't resolve the Golden Rule thing. But I digress....again....I need a libation badly! pirate:

. And then I look at the prices of a "deluxe" in Disney and what little you get, and I just have to remind myself there's no comparison to Disney hotels and the real world.

I don't know. I started pricing hotels in NYC< and the Ritz in Puerto Rico. I think those prices are pretty inflated in comparison to a few other places for the same type room. Location is everything for some destinations

We've actually never stayed at a value (just read reports and watched Youtube videos). We strongly prefer queen beds and are picky about little things like the quality of towels, linens, and toilet paper, as well as shampoo and conditioner in separate bottles.

We also strongly prefer pool areas that include hot tubs and water slides.

In addition, we're not much into food courts, not so much because we're food snobs, but, rather, because we hate dealing with chaos. In that regard, we highly value having relaxing dining experiences, especially on vacation, and any dining experience that involves waiting in at least one line for food, then waiting in another line to pay for food while juggling trays, followed by trying to find an empty table (and condiments, etc.) while still juggling same trays, all the while with kids in tow, is anything but relaxing.

The theming of the values also doesn't do it for us (prefer the more adult theming of the moderates and deluxes).

Finally, we worry about the possibility of being overran by large groups of teenagers.

That being said, from all accounts, values are no less likely to be clean than other resort categories and, at least at the moderate and deluxe level, I've never noticed much of a difference in customer service between resort classes.

Plus, you still get all of the other perks of staying on property for less money. So I can definately see the appeal of values, especially if you're not planning to spend much time at your resort.

For the amount of time we actually spend in the room, anything other than a value would be a waste of money for us. Of course, if i had the extra money to splurge with, i would definitely spring for a mod or deluxe. But the All Stars have been more than acceptable to us!

why would someone offer up advice in this specific situation.

Because she asked us to. Who cares about the subject line; what matters is the question inside of the post.

As a nurse and mom of 4 kids, I know that sometimes there isn't much that can be done about a screaming 2 year old (especially if they are sick or in pain). I'm guessing they weren't too thrilled about it either and weren't purposely being rude or inconsiderate.

I think it was the "came back at midnight" part that caused the baby to scream.

purposefully obnoxious architecture -- in my opinion to discourage moderate/deluxe guests from trading down.

Huh. It's big bright and bold, but I don't consider that to be obnoxious. Doesn't discourage me at all.

They were yelling at he/she to stop crying and you could hear them laughing and being really loud themselves. They also had the tv blaring.

What, that doesn't stop babies from crying? hahahahahahahaha.

I just want to know where you stayed at a Motel 6....with a hall? pirate:

I wonder if they meant the walkway outside all the doors?

I don't know. I started pricing hotels in NYC< and the Ritz in Puerto Rico. I think those prices are pretty inflated in comparison to a few other places for the same type room. Location is everything for some destinations

I don't think they are talking about price when dscribing what "deluxe" at WDW vs the world means. Deluxe at WDW is nothing compared to deluxe at Universal and nothing compared to what you might have been pricing in NYC. There, Deluxe means something much MORE than at WDW. Sure it's priced higher, but you get more. Whereas at WDW you pay a ton for "deluxe" that isn't really deluxe at all.

im sure there will be some who think I am being snotty, snobby or both but really I am not.

My brother has decided to take mom to Disneyworld in August - he still has a child in school so he has to go during her break. He is thinking that a value would be better for him cost wise since he will need 2 rooms.

I told him I would split the cost with him paying my portion and half of moms if he wanted to rent points and get a villa or mom could just stay with me in a studio on rented points.

He also thinks free dining will be offered August. 5-11 but I told him probably not that early in August.

I have stayed at BW, AKL, CB and POFQ. My favorite mod is POFQ and there will be no discount for it- but I would stay there and any rack rate but the Dvc resort room is roughly the same price.

I have read lots of posts on the values- smaller rooms, smaller beds, smaller vanity etc. I do enjoy a larger space and love room service but can you convince me to stay in a value resort and if so which one? I don't love a long walk to transportation from the room.

I have heard good things about Pop's food court !

Oh yeah and my SIL says they Don't spend much time in their room so they won't mind it. (They have not stayed in a value before either).

Please Tell me the positives- thanks

We are staying 7 days (they don't want a split stay but I would split a value and then deluxe
From you post you cant be convinced. So you do you. No advice on the family fallout.

Because she asked us to. Who cares about the subject line; what matters is the question inside of the post.
Respectfully the OP doesn't sound like they want to hear reasons to stay at a Value but rather further validation on why not to stay at a Value. The OP created a thread titled "I am NOT staying at a Value" and then preceeded to give examples of why they do not want to be staying at a Value while also using words like "snobby" and "snotty".

Had the OP simply said "I haven't stayed at a Value before what are some positives to them which ones would you recommend" the entire discussion would be different.

Respectfully the OP doesn't sound like they want to hear reasons to stay at a Value but rather further validation on why not to stay at a Value. The OP created a thread titled "I am NOT staying at a Value" and then preceeded to give examples of why they do not want to be staying at a Value while also using words like "snobby" and "snotty".

Had the OP simply said "I haven't stayed at a Value before what are some positives to them which ones would you recommend" the entire discussion would be different.
BINGO! You are the winner. There was never a chance that the OP was going to be convinced otherwise.

I honestly think there are positives to be said for all the Disney resorts. I have enjoyed my stays, overall, at value, mod, and deluxe over the years. Each of them wowed me in different ways that I appreciated. And each had a few issues, from value to deluxe that raised my eyebrows a bit in consternation. But I got the "Disney" experience at all of them, and that, to me, was the important thing.

Also, every vacation is different, and every time there can be a different vacation budget, which often dictates where you stay. My first couple of trips, I had the fortunate luck to be able to stay at deluxe resorts, and when I had to do a more budget conscious trip at my first value resort (POP!), I'll admit I was nervous, but I researched everything so I knew what to expect and where I should adjust my expectations. Then, knowing what POP! had to offer, I went in with the attitude to appreciate all it had and not focus on how it didn't have x,y, and z amenities of a deluxe, and with that positive attitude in mind, I had a great time there, and even booked a return trip back some years later.

It's all in how you approach it. The power of positive thinking is real. I'm always so giddy to just be in Disney, I'm able to overcome whatever difficult aspect a Disney trip might throw my way. As wonderful as Disney is, we all know it's also a challenge as well, in terms of dealing with the crowds, temperatures, rain, lines, ect. And sometimes the resort can offer some unique "challenges" as well. But I always greet the challenges in the same way I greet the great stuff at Disney - with a smile and an upbeat attitude. I remember before my first ever Disney trip, I read the unauthorized touring book on how to tackle Disney World, and there were so many horror stories from families who had miserable vacations because they were not prepared on how to meet the unique challenges a Disney vacation can bring and while it scared me, it helped me as well, because it made me prepared to, in a sense, go into "battle mode" when I went to Disney, to ensure I had a great time, rain or shine, in every sense of the phrase. I was not going to be one of those vacationers who had a miserable time in Disney World!

So, while you do have to get into a sort of "value resort" mode, I think, to ensure you enjoy your stay at a value, it can be done, even if you've gotten spoiled by staying a deluxe resorts a few times. Remember, the important thing is that you're at Disney, and there are wonderful things about the values, despite their more limited amenities and space and what have you. I get why people say "Motel 6" when trying to describe them or point out their deficiencies, but the wonderful thing about Disney is that even though these are "motel" style resorts, there aint never been any motel like these before! The Disney branding, style, quality, attention to detail, and customer service is still present! It isn't as if these are just some dumpy resorts, some old, like Howard Johnsons that Disney took over and changed the signs above the door or something. These are incredibly vivid and delightfully constructed themed resorts that take your breath away, despite their limitations. There are things to make you smile everywhere, even if you have to walk a little more to get to the lobby, hang out on line a bit more to get on a bus, or have a little less room in your room. And you may not actually feel that at all. I have had rooms close to the lobby, experienced very good bus service at times, and also had what I felt was more than adequate space in my rooms.

And it should be pointed out that several of the values, like Pop! and All Star Music have a devoted fanbase as well and pretty good fan ratings that even exceed some of the more lavish resorts if you check out reviews on like Allears board. I still felt the excitement staying at these resorts, that's for sure, and didn't regret it at all.

Hey OP! What did you decide? You got a lot of opinions, probably more than you wanted! :p

Nothing wrong with choosing a value, and nothing wrong with choosing a deluxe. However it's equally annoying to put down either choice.

I can see what some are saying - it's just a room to sleep, you are happy just to be in WDW.
My point of view,for me, it's not just a place to sleep and I'm not happy enough just to be in WDW - I want it all! :hyper: We don't care to visit Disney every year, or even every other, so when we go to Disney, we like to do the whole shebang.

I'm sorry, what? You what? I can't even process that. Now we will have to throw down because you have the audacity to not like my favorite resort. Oh wait... that means one less person I have to worry about taking a room at Wilderness Lodge and increasing crowds... Hmmm... :upsidedow

I will say, I do want to see the new restaurant. It looks really pretty.

Well, I used to spend weeks in the field sharing a shelter half next to a flatulent fellow soldier with mosquitoes carrying off 20% of my blood. A freakin' broom closet seemed like luxury accommodations to me then. So I make a decent living now, but I'm too cheap to pay for the expensive hotels because I know I can sleep anywhere.

I will say, I have stayed in both CBR and Pop at Disney, and, hating cigarette smoke, it seemed like I ran into more clouds of cigarette smoke at Pop. But it might also be that CBR was so spread out that I never came close to the smoking areas. And as time goes on, there are hopefully less smokers out there.

I WILL NOT stay at a value priced or value type hotel in the 'real' world (no Comfort or Holiday or Super or Motel6 for this girl ever) but will happily stay value at Disney. I've stayed at almost every single Disney resort. Each with its own merits and detractions. Last summer, we stayed at the Beach Club. The hallways smelled like Crab Legs all day long from Cape May. Our room in the tower at the Contemporary vibrated all day long each time the monorail came/went. Coronado and Riverside are so big and have so many bus stops. French Quarter is tiny but a long bus ride home from the parks which sucks if you are tired and standing. You can find positives and negatives for all of them. Pop and AOA are happy. Clean. Super fast to the parks. I wish they had deluxe features like room service and a luxury pool but it serves its purpose for what it is. I do try not to stay at the All Stars though. The beds there seem to be broken down and the room always smells strongly of bleach.

Stay where you want. Your brother can stay where he wants, and you can all meet at the parks. I love Pop, but you don't, and that's ok. Everyone has their own preferences.

This is how we feel about ASSP, we have stayed there many times and get a great feeling when we arrive, love the bright colors and the theme. The past two years we stayed at POR, this year we are trying AKL. However I would go back to Sports in a second. We like to do longer trips so we find the values much more affordable.

ME TOO!, we have tried POP and Movies and sports wins for us hands down!

Fargo, ND

was the worst hotel experience I have ever had!!!

I used to be a die hard All Star Music fan. It was my home away from home. My last stay there June 2015 changed that. The room was in really sorry shape. That and combined with the time it took to get to/from the food court/busses I felt a need to change.
A friend of mine is die hard for Sports and tells me that it is laid out better than Music so that none of the buildings have the long commute. I may end up trying it out in the near future :)

I have a genuine fear that after the refurb, Pop will become like Animation and be a value priced higher than some moderates.

As you can see from my signature I have stayed at every level and honestly, my kids loved Art of Animation as did we. I was even cool with Pop Century. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the busses but ironically the worst bus situations we have ever had was Kidani and Poly.

I choose resorts based on our needs. When my youngest was only 2, we stayed at Kidani Savannah view because I knew we would spend a lot of time there in the afternoon for naps/swims. It was great sitting out on the balcony while she slept.

When we went for Thanksgiving, I really wanted to do all the Christmas stuff more than the parks so we splurged and we stayed at Grand Floridian.

When we did free dining (when it was a really good deal, included tips, apps, desserts etc... ) we did value or mods because it was a no brainer. There was no quick service option back then. Why pay rack rate for a deluxe when we were at the parks or at restaurants most of the time. It was a much cheaper trip to get the same free dining with the cheaper resorts. But we found that the kids loved them. I personally wasn't crazy about Coronado but at the time it was the only mod with queens.

I absolutely loved Port Orleans. I love the Royal Rooms especially. We did a split stay with Saratoga Springs and preferred Port Orleans. Our next trip will be Caribbean Beach (before construction) because that is where my daughter's softball team will be. I am excited as we have never been there.

Many people have older kids or a combo of older/younger and sometimes getting two rooms at a value is much cheaper and roomier than 1 room elsewhere. The older kids have their own bathroom, you have some privacy. A baby can nap in one room and the family can hang in another room.

When you can go to a value resort and get 2 rooms and rent a car (or get dining) cheaper than one room at a deluxe, it is tough to think about why a deluxe is worth it. If you are going to the parks almost all day everyday, whey would you pay $500 more a night for a room? One of our last stays was at Beach Club concierge and it was not worth it at all. Housekeeping was terrible. Food selection bland. Noisy. Maybe if we only stayed there and didn't do many parks, yes. But it was hard to justify the money spent even with a fantastic code and deal.

I love that Disney offers so many options and I honestly like certain resorts on every level. I don't understand when anyone cries out "never again or will never do it" for any level when there are so many at each level and each vacation has pros/cons that are not always related to a specific hotel. If you are going into it with a negative attitude, the only thing that will be happy is your wallet. So just go to a mod and meet your family at the parks. Then everyone will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter