I Am Just Disney-ed Out

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
For starters, my family and I love going to WDW. We have made a trip every year since 2007 and this last trip in Sept 2016 was possibly our best one yet. We spent 9 nights at the Contemporary in a Bay Lake view room after being magically upgraded from the garden wing. Low crowds, great weather, and lots of fun all around.

But on this trip in particular, the words that I never thought I would hear from my family began to emerge - "I'm kinda bored with Disney". So I began to think about it and thought "You know, there may be something to this". Don't get me wrong, that Disney magic is still present in the parks and sometimes where you least expect it. However, how many times can you ride Peter Pan or Space Mountain and not have it get old after a while?

Over the last few trips we have noticed a lot of the same things that many people on the boards have also noticed. Disney has let the guest experience slowly be replaced with the never ending quest to fleece you of every penny you have. Special add-on's, parties, after and early hours, all available for a price. More and more it seems they are trying to simply make money just like any other business. Used to be Disney was not just a business, but now it really seems that way. Of course they're in business to make money, but it's just such an obvious money grab at WDW now that it borders on being obnoxious.

Yes there are some great things on the way (Pandora, Star Wars, and Epcot soon to be reimagined next). But for the next two or three years, it looks like we may just skip Disney altogether and try and see some other of the country's many vacation sites. Next year we are thinking about California, and not once thinking about Disneyland.

Does anyone else ever feel like you get Disney burnout? Will a couple years away help us to get back into the groove?

Definitely go somewhere else for a while. That's a lot of annual trips. Once we did trips to WDW just one year apart and it did feel like "Didn't we JUST do this?" So now it is every two years or more. In between we have gone to Utah, Branson, Wisconsin Dells, Disneyland/San Diego...those were all fabulous and fun too!

This happens to many of us.

I haven't been in four years and I don't miss it. I will say I'm planning a possible trip for Dec. 2017 because a friend wants to see the holiday there. Taking a rest from it hopefully will get me happier about returning there.

I'm from the Midwest and we've been to Disney World over 40 times. In some years we went three times; because, we had APs. We have done many of the extra experiences. There's very little new for us there right now.

I'm still a fan, but I don't have the desire to go back every year anymore.

That happened to my family. We switched to Universal for awhile and other things, we are going back to Disney in the Fall this year after a 4 yr break

If you are getting bored or are noticing things that make you question the cost it si time to go someplace else for a while. I love WDW but I know that there are other destinations as well.

I think I've posted all over and everywhere that I felt the same way after our trip 2 weeks ago. We are about to take a break also. In the past, I would always have a Disney trip planned on a back burner now I'll be shying away from planning any.

Hmm, I honestly don't agree with you on much. I don't get bored at WDW because for me being with family members has always been the main focus. Sharing the job of the rides and shows. And no, I'm not bored.

I also don't look down at Disney for offering extra things for a cost. The parties have been around forever, and I think they are one of my favorite things to experience. If other want to spend extra $$$ on a cabana, or to get in the parks extra early, good for them! I don't see it as a negative. They have to fund Pandora, and Star Wars Land, and new shows somehow, right?

But it does sound like you are ready for a break. Hopefully when you come back in a few years it will all seem magical to you again. But for me, I still feel it.

Last edited:

Does anyone else ever feel like you get Disney burnout? Will a couple years away help us to get back into the groove?

Absolutely. I think there is actually a few things that will help it..

first is you need to have a life that isn't preparing for disney. disney turned coming into a year round event with how most think you need to plan and be ready. For some families that also means changing their lifestyle just to be able to afford to come. It goes a long way to try to get that out of your life and it's the thing that really helped us the most.

See the world. We all tend to have a home park, but how often do we really go to the other properties. we're so used to what it looks like, where things are, how castmembers act that it's night and day different to experience another disney park or many of them. I do recommend just taking off from disney (it's them not us) changing it up with other disney love is also a great way to enjoy everything disney does because every property is very different.

Just take a break from disney until it's more meaningful. Nothing makes disney more special than to know how unspecial everything else is... 2021 should be an amazing year at WDW and I think a great time to plan not only being able to come down but handle a long trip to take all the new stuff in without running around so crazy you missing 90% of the details. A lot is slated to be changed by then so start that disney fund now, put less money that you would for your frequent trips and be ready to party in the anniversary.

Have you spent a lot of time around universal? have you ever had a central florida trip where disney wasn't the anchor? I moved here this year and i'm kicking myself for not doing a central florida trip long ago. so much happens around here and there is so many things to do. Orlando Sentinel did an excellent article this year and while they didn't list things, they called the orlando area the halloween capital of the world. Why? there was 179 different things to do and most of them weren't little things. MNSSHP and Halloween Horror nights were just 2 of the 179 events going on.

changing your mindset when you do decide it's time to come back will go a long way. Disney adds so many extras to buy because people are brainwashed to try to do everything they possible can, or you can't get a great fireworks spot without camping out or paying disney for a better one. They are extras. You didn't get every extra for your car because you don't need it. Everywhere offers extras and you pick and choose or choose to skip them. They are great little touches for the frequent travel as long as you have enough of the rest. You don't have to rope drop or close the place down to have an amazing day. Quality and an actual vacation over quantity.

And my final note. Traveling other places can actually save you money when you do come to disney. Points, cash back, all types of things can be turned in for a pennies on the dollar disney trip. You can actually increase what your family does that isn't disney and save a lot of money at disney.

ps - check out adventures by disney. jump in and do one somewhere you find interesting. Get that disney level of planning and detail to see somewhere that has nothing to do with disney. It's planned out, your free to break from the group and for the most part you just need to show up.

Last edited:
I think travelling anywhere year after year means it'll eventually loose some of that spark, how could it not? When we have less, we appreciate things more. Some of the trips I've appreciated the most are when I hadn't travelled anywhere in several years. I had worked at Disney World when I was much younger and it had sort of lost some of its spark from being there so much, I thought could it ever be the same? Well, I didn't travel to the parks for another 10 years and that trip was amazing! All of the magic came right back. Now that I think you need to stay away for 10 years. Give it a break and I'm sure when you come back to it, it'll be even more special.

I feel that can happen no matter where you go. Frankly I'm with you on this and agree with many of your points. I also think going to the same place over and over and over can lead to said boredom. Maybe vacation elsewhere for even just a few years (2 maybe 3 or 4) and see if you get the Disney bug again.

We also went yearly for awhile, but due to college tuition for our kids we haven't been able to get back for 8 years. And when we arrive next week, we will be jumping up and down for sure! The break was hard to do, but necessary, and now makes returning so much fun!

Also - the trip will be totally different, because our kids are adults now, and they might just want to do a bar crawl at Disney Springs rather than my usual detailed schedule. And I am perfectly okay with that! Being at WDW together - before everyone scatters to start their new lives - will make wonderful memories.

I see a lot of people complaining about all of the add-ons, but frankly, the add-ons are what keeps me coming back. Every time they unveil something new that is interesting to me, it makes me want to go back to see it. This time, it is the Festival of the Arts, and (possibly) Club Villain. If I didn't have something new and exciting to participate in, considering how often we go back, I could absolutely see it getting stale and boring. I'm willing to fork over the money to try the new offerings.

I see a lot of people complaining about all of the add-ons, but frankly, the add-ons are what keeps me coming back. Every time they unveil something new that is interesting to me, it makes me want to go back to see it. This time, it is the Festival of the Arts, and (possibly) Club Villain. If I didn't have something new and exciting to participate in, considering how often we go back, I could absolutely see it getting stale and boring. I'm willing to fork over the money to try the new offerings.
I see nothing wrong with add-on here and there but for many it's that there are so many and really the philosophy Disney has been adopting in the last year or two is mind-spinning how many add-ons they come up with.

Sure if there was a new add-on every so many years it may not be a big deal...but a new one every few months/weeks/days (at least it seems) it what most of us latch on to. There is also the thought that one shouldn't necessarily have to pay to experience new and exciting things nor for certain things like a special viewing place that could easily be available to all but is chosen not to (as an example here).

I see nothing wrong with add-on here and there but for many it's that there are so many and really the philosophy Disney has been adopting in the last year or two is mind-spinning how many add-ons they come up with.

Sure if there was a new add-on every so many years it may not be a big deal...but a new one every few months/weeks/days (at least it seems) it what most of us latch on to. There is also the thought that one shouldn't necessarily have to pay to experience new and exciting things nor for certain things like a special viewing place that could easily be available to all but is chosen not to (as an example here).

I think of add-ons as two-fold. One, some are likely a response to feedback. For example, people saying "I'd pay extra to have a reserved spot for fireworks" or "I'd love to have a dinner with villains instead of princesses" and they find a way to meet the demand. The other is likely typical marketing, creating a solution to a problem not yet known to the customer. Maybe the express busses or monorail progressive dinners can fall into that category. Or lots of things we haven't even thought of yet. It is unfortunate when they block off areas or close the park early for parties and such. But ultimately, I don't feel the pressure to spend money on things that are not important to me. That leaves more room in the budget for things that are important. Just my 2c!

I think of add-ons as two-fold. One, some are likely a response to feedback. For example, people saying "I'd pay extra to have a reserved spot for fireworks" or "I'd love to have a dinner with villains instead of princesses" and they find a way to meet the demand. The other is likely typical marketing, creating a solution to a problem not yet known to the customer. Maybe the express busses or monorail progressive dinners can fall into that category. Or lots of things we haven't even thought of yet. It is unfortunate when they block off areas or close the park early for parties and such. But ultimately, I don't feel the pressure to spend money on things that are not important to me. That leaves more room in the budget for things that are important. Just my 2c!
I can certaintly understand your line of thinking there. Truth is though there is a person out there who would likely be willing to pay for just about anything. It doesn't mean you want that to become an add on.

I don't have a problem actually at all with Club Villian (it doesn't really interfere with normal guest experiences at all) nor would I have a problem with reserved spots for fireworks....except for the fact that it is taking away potential spots for others. If Disney added an extra area entirely and said "hey come pay for this spot for that great viewing" it would be one thing and while we could gripe all day long about paying for this added area at least it wouldn't be taking away from normal guest experiences.

Most people, at least from what I saw, weren't really annoyed with the express busses provided it didn't take away busses from normal operation thus actually creating a worse problem due to shortage of busses. I think for most if the experience wasn't taking away from the normal guest experience or creating a problem for the normal guest it becomes less of an issue.

I felt the same way on my last trip and my only time in the parks was for MVMCP. As I was waiting in the FP+ line for the speedway (which was forming outside of the turnstiles!) I remember thinking... why am I here again? I do feel the need to take a break from Disney for awhile. My trip will be Universal only.

But yet I still read these boards on a regular basis! I swear, Disney is addicting. It is a place like no other, which is why many of us keep going back. But some of us reach a saturation point and we realize we need to step away from "the magic".

Actually, that is a very normal reaction to something that you do over and over again. I have gone at least once a year (except 2016) since 1983. I still like the place, but, I get moused out very easily over the last few years. I went in February of 2015 the last time and I only spent two days because frankly, I was bored. I did go to Europe in October of 2015 and while in Paris went to Disneyland Paris, but, it was a rainy day and I wasn't really in the mood. It seemed like a nice place, but, I just wasn't into it. Anyway I spent a month on vacation covering France, Italy and Spain including a two week trans-Atlantic cruise back to Ft. Lauderdale, but, basically have gone no place in 2016. I am thinking about a quick trip again in February (4 days), two of them at Universal and one at WDW. (I have the last day of my 10 day, non-expiring ticket left and I am planning on using it up. My next trip will depend on my health (I will be 69 this year) and how quickly they get the new stuff finished. I am not going back for the old stuff so hopefully I will be able to get to see the new stuff. I'm actually looking more forward to Universal then WDW. I didn't think I would ever say that, but, there it is.

Last edited:
We felt that way about DLR so we became WDW vets. You might enjoy doing the opposite and exploring the west coast parks for awhile. They are equally magical but their vibe is very different.

I may have reached my "Disney-ed out" phase. Most of it has to do with the family getting there first. First DS quit going, then the last two trips DW didn't go. DD just wasn't in to our last trip and it started to wear on me. I think I need a new Disney family or start going other places.

We've always done an extended family, no holds bar, week long trip every five years. I will say we snuck one in halfway through as just a nuclear family to recover from some sadness. But 5 years is perfect for us. There's always new things to see and do and we spend lots of time excited for our trip. And in the interim years, we see other things and places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter