• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am absolutely devastated and it could have been avoided

An additional consideration - resale points purchased after 3/2011 are not eligible for Disney Collection. Also watch the rule of 4 - it has to be booked before the last 4 months of your use year. Best Wishes to your family.

I know there is nothing anyone here can do to help me, I am just incredibly upset and need to express my grief to a community on the internet who might understand. (And frankly I am procrastinating from having to go break my dying husband's heart.)

I'm a DVC member. My husband is the biggest star wars fan. We met at a science fiction convention at a live action roleplaying event (you know, live action roleplaying like is at the Starcruiser). He showed me his Star Wars collection on our first date. He proposed to me at Disney World.

He is also dying of pancreatic cancer. He's not expected to make it to the end of 2022, and if he does he's very unlikely to be able to participate in events like this by then. The thing he wants to do more than anything else before he dies is go to the Galactic Starcruiser. I started saving as soon as we heard about it. I've been checking the page every single day to find out when reservations start.

When we saw DVC members could reserve early, we were so happy that it meant we would probably be able to book a reservation for a time period when he was still well enough to enjoy it.

Then *today* they finally share the information that it has to be booked all with points. If we had known this a while ago, we could have banked enough points that it would probably be enough for one person. If the 50% borrowing limit wasn't in place we probably could borrow enough to make it work. I spent the last 4 hours waiting on hold so I could talk first to DVC, and then to Disney reservations trying to see if there was anything that could be done.
No, we won't be able to borrow the amount of points we could borrow under normal circumstances.
No, it won't help that I'm willing to buy an annual pass right now because it has to be activated at the park before you can reserve the Starcruiser with it. (We don't live in Florida.)

If Disney had shared the correct information even a couple days ago, I probably could have rented enough points from someone to make this work. I would have considered driving to Florida and back to activate an annual pass, that is how much this means to him. But even if everything doesn't sell out tomorrow, the booking window is only 2 days long and we only learned now.

Now I have to go into the other room and tell my husband that Disney only gave us half the information before now, and we probably won't be able to get him in before he dies after all.

I was never expecting anyone to make any exceptions for our personal situation, but if Disney had just provided timely information we could have done this all completely within the rules. But they didn't. And the worst part is I know they don't even care.

Thank you for letting me vent here.
I suggest you email Pete Werner, and see if Dreams Unlimited can figure out a way around this. Obviously, they cannot work miracles, but they are really good at what they do and have a lot of insight and experience. If you cannot find his email, PM me.

Just wanted to add my prayers for your husband's strength and good health. I am sorry you are both going through these hard times.

Well, now I'm actually crying. This post is the extremes of current Disney in one story. The ability to execute the unthinkable, fantasy dream wow! And then the incompetence of management dragging it all into a nightmare. It's how I feel about DVC too.

I hope you're able to make it soon.

I really, really hope something works out for you - and I'm glad folks have so many ideas to pitch in and see what can be done here. Sending lots of positive vibes

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I hope some pixie dust shows up for you in the time you need it.

Well, just an update. I took a gamble and bought the AP last night. I'm pretty sure you all are right and the person on the phone was wrong. I couldn't get to any reservation agents who could help me this morning via either path due to call volume. But this afternoon I tried back on the AP line. I am still on hold, but they had changed the phone tree. The first thing it did was gather a bunch of my information, presumably to validate if I was eligible before putting me in the queue. After that if *did* put me into the queue (where I currently am waiting), so that seems like a good sign.

(The DVC line is still just hanging up on me and saying call back later.)

Now that the chart is out, I'm pleasantly surprised to see it also looks like we probably would be able to afford one person with points in a standard cabin. So we will have that chance if we can get through.

(It's much less upsetting to have the only obstacle being lots of calls, because it's not something that better communication from Disney would have solved.)

Good luck, and good hunting! May this effort, and the larger ones, break in your favor!

Well, this AP hold too just eventually got me to someone telling me to call back tomorrow. (She had no information about what they're going to do if they're also full tomorrow.) The agent I spoke with this time did validate that my AP should qualify me.
not understanding... she had NO information? As in you couldn't book or try to book? What line did they send you to? This is sounding like the nightmare i had with my AP back last June... I'm so sorry you are going through all of this ON TOP OF everything else - shouldn't be like that...

not understanding... she had NO information? As in you couldn't book or try to book? What line did they send you to? This is sounding like the nightmare i had with my AP back last June... I'm so sorry you are going through all of this ON TOP OF everything else - shouldn't be like that...

She couldn't do the SW bookings and could not transfer me to the queue for SW bookings 'because it is full'
She explained to me that how they have set it up this afternoon is that if you hit the menu options for SW, it is bouncing over into the main queue (because the one for people who can book SW is full). And the people on the main queue can walk through the stuff that is already on the website, but are not capable of doing the bookings. They can't actually do anything except say "we're advising people to call back tomorrow." I asked what happens if the same things happens tomorrow (since the early booking window is only a couple days long), and she did not have any info on that.

They have said bookings for the various categories will be limited. I realize you want to get booked as early as possible, but I don't think if you wait for the AP window or even the general public booking, I bet you'll still be able to get a date sometime in March. Good luck - my heart goes out to you. Also I think you would only need one AP to get booked in there.

Now that the chart is out, I'm pleasantly surprised to see it also looks like we probably would be able to afford one person with points in a standard cabin. So we will have that chance if we can get through.
If you have enough points to pay for 1 person, I would pay in cash via the AP line and then rent your points to pay for your Galactic Cruiser reservation. The March 2022 dates are going for 321 points per person for mid-week. If you go the easiest way and rent via David's you can get $14.50 per point or $4654 which will go a long way to pay for both of you.

If you have enough points to pay for 1 person, I would pay in cash via the AP line and then rent your points to pay for your Galactic Cruiser reservation. The March 2022 dates are going for 321 points per person for mid-week. If you go the easiest way and rent via David's you can get $14.50 per point or $4654 which will go a long way to pay for both of you.

Totally agree that I'd prefer to pay cash. The value paying points is something like $8 per point. But right now I'll take whichever method I can get through the phone queue for. :)

She couldn't do the SW bookings and could not transfer me to the queue for SW bookings 'because it is full'
She explained to me that how they have set it up this afternoon is that if you hit the menu options for SW, it is bouncing over into the main queue (because the one for people who can book SW is full). And the people on the main queue can walk through the stuff that is already on the website, but are not capable of doing the bookings. They can't actually do anything except say "we're advising people to call back tomorrow." I asked what happens if the same things happens tomorrow (since the early booking window is only a couple days long), and she did not have any info on that.
Oh - wow... i understand but still don't "understand", you know?? to me that aggravates me more than if i just couldn't get through at all - basically the same thing but without false hope that you got through :( I'm sorry... I'm wishing nothing but a positive outcome for you with this situation... i would say give it a couple more good tries closer to the closing time all the way thru until the very last minute - i've had the best luck when i've found myself it this type of situation.

They have said bookings for the various categories will be limited. I realize you want to get booked as early as possible, but I don't think if you wait for the AP window or even the general public booking, I bet you'll still be able to get a date sometime in March. Good luck - my heart goes out to you. Also I think you would only need one AP to get booked in there.
TOTALLY agree. every cabin , for every date you want will not be booked this quickly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter