I always get confused about this - changing an ADR the same day

vinotinto

Just Keep Swimming
Hi all!

Planning for our RotR day!

If I book a restaurant and need to push the time for later or move it up, and that time is available, can I modify the day of, without incurring the $10 pp penalty?

If I book a restaurant and need to push the time for later or move it up, and that time is available, can I modify the day of to *another* restaurant, without incurring the $10 pp penalty? If this scenario is up to the CM, what is the best way to call now that the Dining line is barely staffed?

Last edited:
Hi all!

If I book a restaurant and need to push the time for later or move it up, can I modify the day of, without incurring the $10 pp penalty?

If I book a restaurant and need to push the time for later or move it up, can I modify the day of to *another* restaurant, without incurring the $10 pp penalty? If this scenario is up to the CM, what is the best way to call now that the Dining line is barely staffed?
You modify the restaurant reservation to some day in the future, then cancel it. Make a completely new booking for the restaurant you want. Or use Open Table if the restaurant of choice is listed.

Hi all!

If I book a restaurant and need to push the time for later or move it up, can I modify the day of, without incurring the $10 pp penalty?

If I book a restaurant and need to push the time for later or move it up, can I modify the day of to *another* restaurant, without incurring the $10 pp penalty? If this scenario is up to the CM, what is the best way to call now that the Dining line is barely staffed?

I did this on my trip this past November. As long as there's been no significant changes in the app (and there was a big update to it after my trip). If you cancel and ADR within the 24 hour period, you get the penalty. If you modify the ADR, even with the 24 hour time frame, to a completely different day and place, there is no fee. It's just the "cancel" action that causes it.

I would make sure to book somewhere that is easy to get a last minute reservation (ex. GG at Epcot or Cape May, etc). Then you can modify it fairly easy to an earlier or later time on the same day.

You can always do the change day and cancel trick but the app only lets you do that a couple times before you need to call in.

I have modified an ADR on the day of for a slightly later time that day but that's only because a reservation for later was available. I'm assuming if they were fully booked, I would have not been as lucky.

Yeah, just to clarify, this is *if* an earlier or later reservation is needed and available. A lot will depend on what BG (if any) we get.

Please note that your experience may vary. On our trip last September, I changed my ADR the day of and moved it out just like the earlier post said. I got charged the $10 fee for my party. On three different ADRs. Costly lesson for me.

The only guaranteed way that you will not get charged is to either call and get the Cast Member on the phone to waive it or show up and move your ADR with the check-in desk.

You take a risk with any other way.

Please note that your experience may vary. On our trip last September, I changed my ADR the day of and moved it out just like the earlier post said. I got charged the $10 fee for my party. On three different ADRs. Costly lesson for me.

The only guaranteed way that you will not get charged is to either call and get the Cast Member on the phone to waive it or show up and move your ADR with the check-in desk.

I am sorry to hear this. It’s ridiculous when you think that one person could turn up and just order a drink and not incur a charge.

I am sorry to hear this. It’s ridiculous when you think that one person could turn up and just order a drink and not incur a charge.

Actually it's worse than that - you don't even have to order anything! Now I go to the check in desk and tell them we can't stay and they mark me as having showed up and I don't get charged. Lol

Yeah - I was pretty frustrated. I went to the front desk of my resort (Wilderness Lodge) and talked to the CM at the concierge desk to understand what happened. She was really helpful and told me that it depends on what the person working the check-in desk of the restaurant does. If they run their ADR list early in the day or the day before, you'll likely get charged if you change because they see you on the list and mark you if you don't show up - not realizing you changed the ADR.

If they don't run the ADR list until the day-of or right before service, they won't catch it.

She was kind and removed the charges for one of the no-shows. The others had already posted to my credit card. I thanked her profusely and did not expect her to remove any of the charges. It was my fault, after all. And now I am more careful. :)

I’m not sure if this is others’ experiences as well, but I have found that I can no longer modify an ADR if it’s within around 90 minutes out.

Well, no wonder I was confused. In typical Disney fashion, not everyone has the same experience. :rotfl2:

I have been able to cancel reservations 2 times, by showing up in person. Both were busy times of the year, and both were desirable restaurants (BOG and Akershus) When I canceled Akershus I offered to honor the reservation solo (we simply were not hungry), but as there was a long line of hopeful walk-ups, she was relieved to get my cancellation. She even offered me any time the next day I wanted. She also said the fee was for people who didn't show, as they would have an empty table while people wanted to get seated. The BOG came because we were having a princess meltdown. Tired and hot, and we didn't want to struggle to make it another 2 hours. We needed a resort break. I walked over and stood behind someone who was (once again) checking to see if anyone had canceled. When she was told no, I sort of popped around and told the CM we were wanting to leave and I would be delighted to give this person my reservation. The CM took care of the necessary info change, and both parties walked away happy. I was also able to modify a Tusker House from a 5 PM dinner to a 3 PM late lunch. I don't know what it is about AK but by mid day we are just done. We are not even pretending to be happy campers Maybe it's the heat, lack of shade, I don't know. Anyway, I called and spoke with a CM who changed the reservation for me. No penalty.
If faced with a penalty of 10.00 per person, I would be the designated show up. Although I have pretty good pixie dust luck, it doesn't always happen; I have never had to pay a fee, though. So far, but I don't make it a practice to cancel/modify.

I know I moved up my Biergarten reservation in the app while on the monorail on the way to Epcot without penalty.
So same day ... maybe even within a few hours.

Agree that this process does not seem consistent across the board for all restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter