Hurricanes?

Queenk333

Dum Dum Da Dum... Here we come!
Has anyone been at WDW or on the cruise during a hurricane? We are leaving Saturday and are concerned about what to expect.

Thanks!

Has anyone been at WDW or on the cruise during a hurricane? We are leaving Saturday and are concerned about what to expect.

Thanks!

I haven't, but last time I was there we were between two hurricanes. We only got rain one day out of 7 for about an hour or two. I would be interested to see what the weather is like if there is an actualy hurrincane hitting florida. We are leaving Tuesday so I guess we both need to pack ponchos!

Hi there folks,

Hurricanes go where they want!!!.

But right now it looks like earl will be north of you folks by thursday and the invert 97, which is not even a storm, is supposed to stay east in the atlantic. Sadly this is subject to change!

As for the DCL ships, the officers are really good about adjusting routes and if nessary, change port calls if reqiured! You will be perfectly safe, but the weather may not be perfectly sunny and calm...but I'll do a little Viking weather danc ein your favor for great weather.:worship:

Enjoy!..........................AKK

I have been on a cruise to Bermuda, where we followed a hurricane down the coast and then had to pass behind it. Normally, they would leave the coast (We left from Philly) and go straight across to Bermuda.

We had a porthole oceanview room in the mid-section of deck two. The waves were going above our porthole when we passed behind it.

I was one of only six people at the buffet the next morning. Another guy, including myself, was making trips back and forth to the buffets all day hauling food down to our roomies - he had two rooms of people he had to bring food down for - I just had my mom.

She felt queasy, immediately put on her "bracelet" from the drugstore and was fine the rest of the trip.

The current storms are not threatening Florida. Danielle will not be of any consequence. Earl is set to brush the seaboard of the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast. People who live in those areas (like myself) will need to watch him in the next couple of days regarding possible flight delays/cancellations but he is not set to go near Florida.

In 2004 the Disney parks closed for two straight days (September 4 and 5) in anticipation of the slow-moving Hurricane Frances. I spent two days inside a room at Pop Century. I think I would have preferred being in a resort where leaving the room was possible. On September 6 there were no guests at all in the Magic Kingdom, kind of eerie. Had a conversation with some CMs who were sweeping water out of the Pirates of the Caribbean shop.

We arrived at the CR about 6 hrs before Hurricane Charley did back in '04. Our flight was among the last to land. We got there about 2ish, Charley arrived by 8pm. Remember, that was a direct hit, not just a hurricane passing by the coast. The parks closed by 3pm that day in order to prepare for the hurricane. AK opened late the next day due to a ton of tree damage within the park.
The resorts were all fine. They held CMs overnight since a lot of CMs wouldn't be able to get there in the morning. It was actually quite a good experience.
But again....that storm went directly over Orlando..that just doesn't happen all that often. None of the current storms are even going to come close to Florida. 'If' the tropical storm out there, which would become Fiona, develops into a hurricane, it may head to the Florida area, but nothing I would concern myself with at the moment.
As long as you can land, or take off out of, MCO, you should be fine.

The ships all head in the opposite direction. You may find that certain ports will be passed by but for the most part, hurricanes are avoided by the ships. They know where to go...they go there. They do NOT want a ship full of passengers to have to deal with the high seas a hurricane would bring....not a pretty picture.

My mom and I arrived at 2004, not long after the hurricanes.

Landing in MCO, you could see every third or fourth roof had a blue tarp over it.

We stayed at POR and the second night, we decided to take the water taxi over to DTD. What a sight to see the Treehouse Villas destroyed; nearly every single one had a tree fall right on top of the roof and some had sliced the top floor almost in half.

We could see some trees down still in the woods, but for the most part, they had done a great job in the parks - AK was so pristine, you would have never suspected it ever happened.

It looks as though Earl might actually effect us in the Northeast, more than the Southeast!

It looks as though Earl might actually effect us in the Northeast, more than the Southeast!

belive it or not....if it keeps me from being shacked up in my in-laws jerseyshorehouse on labor day weekend with my idiot brother in law and his broom-riding wife....then it might not be so bad:banana:

My mom and I arrived at 2004, not long after the hurricanes.

Landing in MCO, you could see every third or fourth roof had a blue tarp over it.

We stayed at POR and the second night, we decided to take the water taxi over to DTD. What a sight to see the Treehouse Villas destroyed; nearly every single one had a tree fall right on top of the roof and some had sliced the top floor almost in half.

We could see some trees down still in the woods, but for the most part, they had done a great job in the parks - AK was so pristine, you would have never suspected it ever happened.

those "tarps" were there for about 2 years....the 04 storms created a long recovery/ insurance process in Orlando.

our rental house in orlando was spared any damage...while two within two lots of it lost the majority of their roofs...
and so FEMA denied my claim...damn!:rotfl2:

belive it or not....if it keeps me from being shacked up in my in-laws jerseyshorehouse on labor day weekend with my idiot brother in law and his broom-riding wife....then it might not be so bad:banana:

What can I say - Earl may be your new best friend!:lmao:

This is one of my favorite posts of all time! :)

Left fom NY on a cruise last November for the Southern Carrib.
We hit a Nor Easter off the coast of Virginia with 30 - 35 foot waves.
I was on a hugh RCCL ship Explorer of the Seas (see below).
That one night was a total disaster. All doors to the outside deck locked.
Large glass windows blown out on several decks. Several injured guests and 60% of the guests and crew sick. An ice machine fell over on our floor flooding 8 rooms. Store that sold wiskey was totally trashed with broken bottles everywhere . Only a few people went to dinner that night as you had a hard time walking the halls. Barf bags all over the ship ! Didn't get to sleep until 4 AM as ship would, YES, lift out of the water and slam down with a loud thunder like noise. Rolled out of bed twice :rotfl:
Captin later said if he went too fast or slow the ship would have broken up :scared1:
Tonnage: 137,308 GT
Length: 1,020 ft (311 m)
Beam: 157.5 ft (48 m)
Decks: 15
Propulsion: Three propellers
Speed: 23.7 knots
Capacity: 3,114 passengers
Crew: 1,180 crew
Pictures from earlier in the day. At night it got worse!
DSC04693.jpg

DSC04694.jpg

DSC04735.jpg

I was at WDW during Hurricane Jean 6 years ago. It was awesome! I live on the MS gulf coast, so I've been through tons of them (Katrina, of course, being the worst in history). You can't go to the parks when one is going through. They tell you not to leave your room, but we walked around POR in the wind and rain and branches falling (and a few trees). The food court was open though. WDW is the best place to be during a hurricane. :thumbsup2

Just to give you an idea of how the cruise lines change their schedules, this is what is happening now per cruisecritic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4054

Carnival Cruise Lines has changed the itinerary for Carnival Dream, which departed from Port Canaveral on Friday. Instead of sailing an Eastern Caribbean cruise with stops in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, the ship is sailing a Western Caribbean route to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya.

Carnival Pride, which left from Baltimore Sunday, will no longer visit Grand Turk on Wednesday as originally planned. The itinerary will now include Port Canaveral (Wednesday), Nassau (Thursday) and Freeport (Friday).

Carnival Victory is no longer calling in St. Maarten this coming Saturday and its St. Thomas stop has been moved. The ship remained at sea on Monday instead of visiting St. Thomas as originally planned, and Victory will now call in St. Thomas next Saturday before concluding the cruise in San Juan on Sunday (on schedule).

Royal Caribbean has altered the itineraries of Oasis of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas. Enchantment, which left Baltimore last Thursday, called on San Juan on Sunday. On Monday, visited Samana, Dominican Republic instead of St. Thomas, as originally scheduled. It will stop in Labadee on Tuesday and spend Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at sea as it returns to Baltimore on Saturday.

Oasis will be unable to make its scheduled port calls in St. Thomas on Tuesday and St. Maarten on Wednesday. Instead, the ship made an extended visit to Nassau on Sunday, will spend Monday and Tuesday at sea, and call on Costa Maya on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday. It will then spend Friday at sea as it returns to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, as scheduled.

Freedom of the Seas, which left Port Canaveral on August 29, will be unable to make its scheduled port calls to St. Thomas on Wednesday and St. Maarten on Thursday. The ship will call on CocoCay, Bahamas on Monday, as scheduled, spend Tuesday at sea, and call in Grand Cayman on Wednesday. On Thursday, Freedom will visit Cozumel. The ship will then spend Friday and Saturday at sea as it returns to Port Canaveral on Sunday as scheduled.

NCL has changed the itinerary for Norwegian Epic, which left from Miami Saturday. The ship will now call in Cozumel and Roatan in place of St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Epic's call in Nassau on Friday has been extended.

A statement on NCL's Web site says that Norwegian Dawn, which departed New York as scheduled on Sunday, August 29, may have to make an itinerary change depending on the storm's path.

Representatives from Princess Cruises and Disney Cruise Line say that there are no changes for their respective ships. Emerald Princess is sailing in the Western Caribbean (outside the current scope of the storm); Disney Wonder is sailing a Bahamas and Florida cruise.

According to the NHC, tropical storm conditions are expected to gradually subside over the British and U.S. Virgin Islands tonight. Tropical storm conditions should materialize in Turks & Caicos Tuesday afternoon, and a tropical storm warning is now in effect for Turks & Caicos. A tropical storm watch for the southeastern Bahamas has also been added. According to the NHC, a tropical storm watch means that tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, generally within 48 hours.

Of equal note is the fact that current NHC projections have the storm skirting the East Coast of the United States and Canada on Friday and Saturday. The outer bands of the storm are currently forecast to reach the coast of North Carolina late Thursday night or early Friday morning, and the storm is then expected to move roughly parallel to the East Coast on Friday and Saturday. We'll keep you posted on cruise ships departing from East Coast homeports.

We have cruised during some storms with mighty big swells/waves and as someone who usually gets way seasick my advice is: Bonine is your best friend. Stock up before you leave :laughing:

We have been to WDW during 2 hurricanes (Wilma and Frances). Let me share that Disney is AWESOME! The parks we closed and it was recommended that we stay in our room. But Disney did a great job of keep guest posted of conditions via phone calls. The food courts are open, great relax time, and the next day that parks were open by noon (except for AK).

Honestly, I couldn't think of any other place I would want to be during a hurricane. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter