• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricanes and points

I have no idea, but it appears each case is different and theres no real official policy... question is - what if you are using banked points and they are about to expire (i/e 2018 points, October UY banked into 2019)? Will they allow a member to somehow bank them a SECOND time into the next year?

No, for Irma last time they allowed to bank over the banking deadline and un-borrow points, however they didn't allow to bank twice and points were lost. That's why in preparation for my trip in September I've rented a few banked points so I could have a few current year points in my reservation, n case I had to arrive late or leave early due to a hurricane.
I should arrive in Orlando tomorrow, hopefully Dorian will deviate and stay away from Florida.

We have Poly booked this Saturday and have a September Use year. They will allow me to cancel but will not allow me to bank the points so they will be lost. It’s only around 20 points. Any ideas?

We have Poly booked this Saturday and have a September Use year. They will allow me to cancel but will not allow me to bank the points so they will be lost. It’s only around 20 points. Any ideas?
Call again to see if another CM will bank them. They did it for Irma two years ago.

Offer the reservation up for rent at a fire sale price to get what you can from it.

Otherwise, those points are lost.

Call again to see if another CM will bank them. They did it for Irma two years ago.

Offer the reservation up for rent at a fire sale price to get what you can from it.

Otherwise, those points are lost.
"Offer the reservation up for rent at a fire sale price to get what you can from it. " - I agree, however, WHO would want a last minute ressie with a hurricane possibly bearing down on the resort?

"Offer the reservation up for rent at a fire sale price to get what you can from it. " - I agree, however, WHO would want a last minute ressie with a hurricane possibly bearing down on the resort?
You never know until you try. I wouldn’t but someone might. I’ve seen a few offers for Sun - Tues on FB groups. People are taking the owners up on them. Evacuees trying to cobble something together in a safer place than home? Who knows?

Thanks for asking!!! We are supposed to drive up next Thursday, we are in Dorian’s path right now. As of the latest advisory it looks like she will be hovering over Central Florida one Wednesday morning. Obviously won’t know how we will fair at home until this storm hits us of course but I can’t help but wonder if we will have issues getting up to Orlando post-storm

You never know until you try. I wouldn’t but someone might. I’ve seen a few offers for Sun - Tues on FB groups. People are taking the owners up on them. Evacuees trying to cobble something together in a safer place than home? Who knows?
Possibly... One of the reasons I like to book longer stays is to itigate possible weather issues. II think (and perhaps I'm wrong but just my 2 cents) that if you have a longer stay of 1-2 weeks then a day or two of hurricane may be something some folks are willing to 'ride out' and still enjoy whats left of their vacation, whereas if its only a 2-3 days stay, and you're unlucky enough to get the hurricane on day 1, you are probably out of luck.

Thanks for asking!!! We are supposed to drive up next Thursday, we are in Dorian’s path right now. As of the latest advisory it looks like she will be hovering over Central Florida one Wednesday morning. Obviously won’t know how we will fair at home until this storm hits us of course but I can’t help but wonder if we will have issues getting up to Orlando post-storm
Remember there will always be other vacations, but you must respect the power of hurricanes/nature and use caution. Please stay safe.

I have no idea, but it appears each case is different and theres no real official policy... question is - what if you are using banked points and they are about to expire (i/e 2018 points, October UY banked into 2019)? Will they allow a member to somehow bank them a SECOND time into the next year?

We didn't have any banked points, but did have one borrowed point that they put back in to our 2020 UY.

If you have a Sept UY, the your trip is taking place in your 2019 UY with the exception of this Saturday, August 31st, which would be in your 2018 UY Are you saying the points you used for tomorrow were banked from 2017 UY? If so, then those would be lost. But everything else should be okay.

I called MS yesterday afternoon, was on hold 40 min, then was able to cancel my Sat-Wed CCV reservation and book one at AKV in March. The way I had banked/borrowed points, I was able to bank the rest of my points after I got off the phone but I have 2 that I cant bank for some reason so those are the only ones that I cant use. I'm not even going to try to figure out why it all worked out that way, but I will only lose 2 points from cancelling which is no biggie.

I called MS yesterday afternoon, was on hold 40 min, then was able to cancel my Sat-Wed CCV reservation and book one at AKV in March. The way I had banked/borrowed points, I was able to bank the rest of my points after I got off the phone but I have 2 that I cant bank for some reason so those are the only ones that I cant use. I'm not even going to try to figure out why it all worked out that way, but I will only lose 2 points from cancelling which is no biggie.

If it won’t let you bank those 2 points, it means that either they are already banked or you borrowed them and your new March trip is in a different UY then the trip you just canceled.

What is your UY? If they are indeed borrowed, MS should get them put back for you since they have been doing that for members. I know it’s only 2, but hey, 2 point# could make a difference!

If it won’t let you bank those 2 points, it means that either they are already banked or you borrowed them and your new March trip is in a different UY then the trip you just canceled.

What is your UY? If they are indeed borrowed, MS should get them put back for you since they have been doing that for members. I know it’s only 2, but hey, 2 point# could make a difference!
My UY is April. I think I did borrow points but I really dont try to follow it that closely so I'm not sure. It still all confuses me. I just know that I can make the trips happen!

My UY is April. I think I did borrow points but I really dont try to follow it that closely so I'm not sure. It still all confuses me. I just know that I can make the trips happen!

Member Services should be able to tell. My husband called yesterday to cancel our Poly trip and I knew I had borrowed some points for it, but couldn't remember how many. The rep he talked to could see we had one borrowed point and told him she would put it back. They were exceptionally nice about it.

Likely lots of Florida residents like me. I keep thinking we should head over to Orlando. It might be easier to sell that ressie than you think.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I called back today and they changed it for me. They said it was the first time they were allowed to make the exception and moved the points into 2019. They were just given the permission today.

Central FL is an area that many coastal residents evacuate to. No threat of storm surge.

Our flight for tomorrow AM was canceled. Just found out before we disembarked the Fantasy at 6AM. Next available flight not until Sept 4 so MS canceled our CCV 1 bd for tonight (I apparently am never going to stay there 😂) and put my points back, but wouldn’t un-borrow them.

Almost to the Georgia border drving a rental back to Detroit to pick up our car at the airport & drive home to Canada. I have to teach Tues & I also want away from the fallout zone.

Car rental employee asked us if we wanted the extra insurance on the vehicle.

Me: our cruise was rerouted, my husband was exposed to a nut he is allergic to last night on our cruise and puffed up like a puffer fish, and we disembarked to find our flight canceled this morning... yeah, I need me some insurance 😐.

What an adventure 🤣. If you’re on the East coast stay safe 👍🏻

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter