• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

MCO just tweeted someone and said, "Assessment is underway. We'll coordinate with airlines after that. Goal is to operate tomorrow but cannot confirm now. Stay tuned." So hopefully that 12PM noon that FAA posted is what they're hoping/expecting.

We fly in from the UK in six weeks as of today. I would assume the main tourist areas will be up and running with power by then mainly because I heard on CNN that the priorities for the authorities are Hospitals and Care Homes and then Tourist spaces. I'm not sure how true that is, though. As a tourist, I can take lack of luxuries. I'm a a visitor, I would rather the people who live with it every day have life back on track and homes and power.

if you come in in six weeks, you're FINE. You have literally nothing to worry about.

We fly in from the UK in six weeks as of today. I would assume the main tourist areas will be up and running with power by then mainly because I heard on CNN that the priorities for the authorities are Hospitals and Care Homes and then Tourist spaces. I'm not sure how true that is, though. As a tourist, I can take lack of luxuries. I'm a a visitor, I would rather the people who live with it every day have life back on track and homes and power.
The poster I quoted will be driving directly through areas that haven't been hit with the storm yet.

if you come in in six weeks, you're FINE. You have literally nothing to worry about.

Yeah I was assuming that is the case, really don't see why there would be any issues by then. My main point was that if there were, we would deal with it. Extremely glad that the worst that could have happened did not happen, though the situation still isn't ideal.

Still haven't cancelled the trip starting the 17th, but I'm on the fence. I assume things will be fine at the parks and whatnot. Just wouldn't want to get in the way either.

Honestly I'd plan to go if I were in your shoes. Especially if you're mainly staying in the Disney bubble. Their main priority is to get things up and going and keep things business as usual. If you were planning on time at a beach or something like that, then you might want to review whether that's still possible.

flatlandcycle is correct - Reedy Creek Utilities Company (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Disney) operates several utilities serving the Reedy Creek Improvement District (which, surprise, happens to include Disney). Although this includes an electric system, RCUC only generates about 20-30% of the electricity used in the district. The remaining amount of electric power (70-80%) is purchased through numerous lease agreements with other power companies in Florida. If you want to know more than you ever wanted to about the electrical and other utility systems servicing WDW (which I did, because I'm a glutton for punishment), you can take a look at the annual report for utility systems on Reedy Creek Improvement District's website - the most recent one is for 2015.

So what does that mean? It means that a large percentage of WDW's power is coming from outside its own utility system and may be affected by disruptions that those service providers are having. I say may because I don't know whether, in a situation like this, RCUC can generate enough electricity on its own to cover basic functions (or more) without purchasing or relying on outside power. While it's all horribly complicated, the simple test is as follows: look up and see if the lights are on. If so, things are pretty good and I wouldn't worry too much.

Thank you for breaking this down! So basically once the storm passes and they can get in there and asses, you never know what tomorrow or the rest of the week will bring. You've got trees down, power lines down, clean up and recovery could take time, things like this don't have a deadline is all I'm saying.

Honestly I'd plan to go if I were in your shoes. Especially if you're mainly staying in the Disney bubble. Their main priority is to get things up and going and keep things business as usual. If you were planning on time at a beach or something like that, then you might want to review whether that's still possible.

Disney and Universal. I'm not sure how good Universal is at getting up and going but I imagine they're probably close to as good as Disney.

I have a trip planned, I'm supposed to arrive this Friday (Sept. 15).. I don't know if I should cancel it or wait how everything goes. If anyone can advise! This is my first time going with my kids and I don't know what to do at this moment!!
Thanks for your help!!

I have a trip planned, I'm supposed to arrive this Friday (Sept. 15).. I don't know if I should cancel it or wait how everything goes. If anyone can advise! This is my first time going with my kids and I don't know what to do at this moment!!
Thanks for your help!!

We are arriving on Friday night also - I would go if I were you. We have been planning this for 2 years and it is completely paid for - If we cancelled we would lose free dining. However, we are keeping in mind that things may be unavailable or spotty. We may not have our 1st choices of food, rooms, etc. and that's o.k. with us. The parks certainly should be open by Saturday.

For everyone arriving later in the week, if you're just coming to Disney/Universal, I would still plan to come. Assessments will be done today as soon as it's safe to go out (still some high winds), but with clean up crews in place, I would imagine at the very least, some of the parks would be back open tomorrow. The resorts may take a bit longer to get all fixed up, but I would think by the weekend at the latest, things will be back to normal. Be nice to the Cast Members, many still won't have power in the next few days and may be dealing with damaged houses/cars, but I would guess most will be ready to get back to work.

flatlandcycle is correct - Reedy Creek Utilities Company (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Disney) operates several utilities serving the Reedy Creek Improvement District (which, surprise, happens to include Disney). Although this includes an electric system, RCUC only generates about 20-30% of the electricity used in the district. The remaining amount of electric power (70-80%) is purchased through numerous lease agreements with other power companies in Florida. If you want to know more than you ever wanted to about the electrical and other utility systems servicing WDW (which I did, because I'm a glutton for punishment), you can take a look at the annual report for utility systems on Reedy Creek Improvement District's website - the most recent one is for 2015.

So what does that mean? It means that a large percentage of WDW's power is coming from outside its own utility system and may be affected by disruptions that those service providers are having. I say may because I don't know whether, in a situation like this, RCUC can generate enough electricity on its own to cover basic functions (or more) without purchasing or relying on outside power. While it's all horribly complicated, the simple test is as follows: look up and see if the lights are on. If so, things are pretty good and I wouldn't worry too much.

Disney/RCID will have wired critical loads to their own generation station including resort lighting but not necessarily the HVAC, some park lighting, pumps, security systems, refrigeration and control systems. The park rides and attractions may not get their power from Disney's generation station.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks for your help!!

go! don't worry! that is 5 days away, they will be ready for you :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter