Hurricane Irma?

Good morning! That was a loooong night!

We have no power, and the road behind our house had power lines and trees down. Our four east facing windows all let in water some time last night, and we lost part of our guttering, but the damage seems minimal. The rest of the neighborhood just seem to have trees down everywhere. No one I know has power, so I think it will take a while for everything to get up and running. The wind and rain here is still pretty strong.

DH had the night from hell at the resort he was at. Trees down, fire alarms, multiple guests calling from outer buildings with water leaking through the roof. He was trying to move people at 2am as the wind and rain was so bad he said he couldn't see two feet in front of him. He got three hours sleep on the floor of a front office, now he's out assessing the damage. He can't come home until curfew lifts at 6pm. He says a number of rooms have water damage, but structurally, the buildings did fine.
Which resort?

Not sure if this was mentioned before or not & didn't want to read everything. Regarding all the dogs/pets in the resorts. A CM told me yesterday that after Hurricane Katrina a law was passed stating that all hotels had to accept pets during a hurricane. I didn't know this but was glad to hear it. I'm sure once they check out Disney will have to throughly clean (not just vacuum) the carpets, etc.

The governor asked hotels to waive their pet restrictions during the hurricane, which I thought was really nice. I think Governor Scott and all involved in hurricane preparation did a fantastic job. We couldn't have been better informed or prepared prior to the storm.

Any idea of when crews are anticipated to be out to assess damage, power outages, etc. not only to Disney property and attractions but to Orlando airport as well? Wondering at what point to call the vacation a no go and try to reschedule (which is our last resort). We're supposed to be leaving Friday night from New Jersey.

We are at BLT. We are still having high winds but much better than last night. I'm in a TPV room and don't see any damage anywhere I can see from my room without going out on my balcony. We didn't lose power, or if we did, it was after we fell alseep and was back on by the time we woke up. No fire alarms or anything all night.

Any idea of when crews are anticipated to be out to assess damage, power outages, etc. not only to Disney property and attractions but to Orlando airport as well? Wondering at what point to call the vacation a no go and try to reschedule (which is our last resort). We're supposed to be leaving Friday night from New Jersey.

As soon as it's safe to do so I would assume.

From the news, crews are already out in Orlando. I anticipate MCO and the parks to be open tomorrow.

We are driving down to Disney from Ohio in 6 weeks. Based on how bad the flooding etc is should we just go ahead and reschedule? Praying for all who have been impacted by this horrible storm.

I did a walk-about Pop Century. Lots of trees and brush down. Ground floor rooms look to have gotten water under the door...some rooms had sandbags and many more had towels along the bottom of the door. Main building is still closed, no idea when they will open. I have not been sent any information regarding tickets/dessert party , etc. Hope to be able to talk with front desk today about hopefully giving me tickets to use on anot her trip. Hoping the parks open tomorrow so I can get one more day in before (hopefully) flying out Wednesday am.

For those that regret having cancelled their trip, dont. I totally understand being disappointed but this is NOT the Disney trip you had planned. Disney has done a great job keeping us safe and fairly good at keeping us informed . I think some of the moderate and deluxe resorts brought in entertainment and made the arcades free..but Pop closed the main hall...no food, no arcade, no guest services. Not a complaint, just a statemett of fact.

My parents live in Davenport, even though I said Orlando in a previous post. (it's just easier to say Orlando, since most people don't know where Davenport is)
They report that they have no power, but don't know about the rest of the area. Their community came through the storm, but the people in the front office haven't been able to get out and assess the damage yet. They guess the power will be back on within a few days. My parents evacuated and are still in Gulfport. They plan on staying until power is restored.

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear your parents are well!

Agreed. Six weeks out, no worries (unless something else hits between now and then) - arriving this weekend, I'd give it a day to see, but you should be fine.

He was at the Polynesian.
Wow ....
I did a walk-about Pop Century. Lots of trees and brush down. Ground floor rooms look to have gotten water under the door...some rooms had sandbags and many more had towels along the bottom of the door. Main building is still closed, no idea when they will open. I have not been sent any information regarding tickets/dessert party , etc. Hope to be able to talk with front desk today about hopefully giving me tickets to use on anot her trip. Hoping the parks open tomorrow so I can get one more day in before (hopefully) flying out Wednesday am.

For those that regret having cancelled their trip, dont. I totally understand being disappointed but this is NOT the Disney trip you had planned. Disney has done a great job keeping us safe and fairly good at keeping us informed . I think some of the moderate and deluxe resorts brought in entertainment and made the arcades free..but Pop closed the main hall...no food, no arcade, no guest services. Not a complaint, just a statemett of fact.

Good to hear you are safe .. hope you get that last day the the parks in and good point on anyone regretting they canceled..

I'm just so curious...power is down in Orlando, as it is in most of the state of FL. The hotels have generators, so that's fine. Curious how theme parks could possibly open by tomorrow with no power? I mean, I know Disney/universal/seaworld/etc. have a lot of man power and are prepared for bad scenarios...but a huge natural disaster like this? It could take weeks for power to be restored. From my understanding Orlando is taking a pretty bad hit. Is it possible to run a theme park on generators?!

Disney has "ride out" crews in all of the parks that consist of a number of different types of workers (technicians, maintenance, security, groundskeepers, etc.) and their job was to finalize the prep of each park for the storm, lay low during the storm in the parks, and after the winds drop low enough they will perform initial assessments of damage and then begin the work to start prepping the park for reopening. Disney has also identified broader "reopen crews" that are at their homes now and are awaiting the word from Disney to report to work and then take over from the smaller ride-out crews in order to get the parks open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter