• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

Salute on highway 90 is great. The Chimneys next door is good, too- white tablecloth kind of place. Half Shell Oyster house is delicious in downtown Gulfport. Tony's Brick oven pizza is good also in Downtown Gulfport. The downtown area has several other new restaurants, too. It's really coming along recently since Katrina. Fishbone Alley is a neat little place to take a stroll.

In Long Neach next door, there's Darwell's- a funky eclectic place.

Biloxi also has new places too.

All of the restaurants have a pretty varied menu with a Louisiana inspired flair and seafood offerings.

Really, most anywhere from Bay St. Louis to Ocean Springs- a nice drive on the beach- has good offerings.

Awesome! and thanks :flower1: I'll pass this along

Do any of you family with the Keys know how the deer in the National Key fare if there is a major storm surge?
Homosassa Springs has (or at one point had) a small Key Deer population... not great??? These are extinction events.

Last edited:
Took a nap around 3, just woke up and my county decided to issue a voluntary evacuation now, trying to get any local news on the local TV stations carried by DirecTV sucks Just a stupid crawl along the bottom of the screen, heaven forbid they interrupt a football game to say the governor is speaking!

The thing is that no one can know or predict with certainty what will happen when a storm comes through. There have been people posting their opinions from both extremes. I truly believe that you have to plan for the worst and hope for the best. You can't make assumptions about what will be available. I do trust that Disney will take care of their guests to the best of their ability and have enough food and water for everyone. I wouldn't be confident about electricity, municipal water/sewage, or physical damage.
During Sandy I felt like once the electricity went out "stuff" got real pretty fast.

What happens if someone gets hurt, either due to the storm (flying debris, broken glass, etc), or unrelated to it, or has another medical emergency? Are they going to drive themselves from wdw to a hospital? Probably not. They'll need to be transported via ambulance, putting the EMTs/firemen/etc in unnecessary danger (potentially driving through pouring rains, debris/downed power lines, tornado-prone areas,...).
As a retired paramedic who has worked in Florida, during the height of any hurricane the public is on their own. There are no ambulances. They are all forbidden to leave their headquarters until the winds subside. So your point is not justifiable

Here's the menu for food at the Polynesian, if anyone here is staying there

21432765_10214514754410937_948332870240897406_n.jpg

That's quite a reasonable price for an all-you-can eat menu. I wonder if the noodles and veggies are the usual 'Ohana dishes? Would this be served at both Kona and 'Ohana?

It is very interesting to see how Disney will manage an event of this magnitude. I appreciate seeing that they aren't trying to gouge guests who may very well have no other option than to stay, or who may be evacuees from Southern Florida. While Mother Nature is certainly more powerful than any one company, including Disney, if there is one company who I do feel would do their best to take care of their guests and do everything possible to maintain a safe and organized environment, it would be Disney.

Praying for all those who are in Irma's path tonight. Regardless of any person or family's choice to have entered, stayed in or left the area, I hope everyone will make it through this storm safe and sound. And for all the first responders who are prepared to risk their own lives to protect others, I hope that their courage and kindness will come back to them a hundred fold!

That's quite a reasonable price for an all-you-can eat menu. I wonder if the noodles and veggies are the usual 'Ohana dishes? Would this be served at both Kona and 'Ohana?

I believe it is the same vegetables/noodles as served at 'Ohana, though quality may vary.

I'm not 100% sure where the buffet is located in terms of the Polynesian lobby, but guests are being seated in both the 'Ohana and Kona dining rooms for space.

We must have been there at the same time last October because we got drenched on October 1st, too. We were caught at DHS in the downpour. The week before Matthew hit had oppressive humidity. I'm glad that you confirmed that it got nicer after the storm cleared out. :)

Oh thats so funny, we were at DHS on October 1st too. I remember considering doing the Star Wars dessert party that night since it was my birthday. In the end, I was rather thankful that I picked Wednesday. I felt so bad for folks that got rained out that Saturday night.

There's a BIG difference between the people who were already in FL before the hurricane's track was more definite and have been stuck there since (because of full flights, closed airports, crazy traffic, etc), and those who are opting to arrive in FL today and tomorrow.

Maybe you could share where, exactly, the magic line was drawn between "okay to travel" and "selfish and stupid" (words others have used, not your post)? Not today or yesterday, so I guess that was Thursday at midnight?

Some were arguing for people to stay away as early as Tuesday or Wednesday. Others have felt all along that if someone wants to fly in, up to and including today, understanding both the likely and worst-case impacts of the storm, that's their own business. I'm looking at the NHC archives, and it's only in the last couple of updates (today) where the language has changed to indicate that the models are converging and therefore the forecast track is in relatively high confidence. What makes your personal line the right one?

And to be clear, while I'm replying to this specific post, it's really directed at all those who have posted or are thinking the same thing. Judging the decisions of others is not made more acceptable simply because you've narrowed or more carefully defined the scope of your judgements.

What happens if someone gets hurt, either due to the storm (flying debris, broken glass, etc), or unrelated to it, or has another medical emergency? Are they going to drive themselves from wdw to a hospital? Probably not. They'll need to be transported via ambulance, putting the EMTs/firemen/etc in unnecessary danger (potentially driving through pouring rains, debris/downed power lines, tornado-prone areas,...).

You do realize that the first responders you are mentioning are in fact Disney employees, don't you? WDW is pretty much a self-sufficient incorporated city. They have their own EMS/Fire/LE. They also have their own municipal utilities district too. I once interviewed for a position at one of their power generating stations. That was way back when, like when Orlando still had a Navy base there (Company C173, July 1980, NNPS 8104).

I believe it is the same vegetables/noodles as served at 'Ohana, though quality may vary.

I'm not sure where the buffet is located in terms of the Polynesian lobby, but guests are being seated in both the 'Ohana and Kona dining rooms.
As an example of what they did at BWI last year, they set up identical buffets in both Flying Fish and in Trattoria. You paid when you entered to either location. You could fix as many plates as you wanted and fill a box for your room, had cold cuts and bread from Bakery as some of the buffet items. Them you sat yourself in either restaurant. They sat drink stations up that were serve yourself too.

Tuesday should be no problem... for any airline.

Except that they may be re-shuffling equipment. We booked a back-up flight for Tuesday before we finally found seats out on a flight today. We were notified just before we left Orlando that our Tuesday flight was canceled.

As an example of what they did at BWI last year, they set up identical buffets in both Flying Fish and in Trattoria. You paid when you entered to either location. You could fix as many plates as you wanted and fill a box for your room, had cold cuts and bread from Bakery as some of the buffet items. Them you sat yourself in either restaurant. They sat drink stations up that were serve yourself too.

Based on the details I have from a couple CM friends, that sounds about right.

Oh thats so funny, we were at DHS on October 1st too. I remember considering doing the Star Wars dessert party that night since it was my birthday. In the end, I was rather thankful that I picked Wednesday. I felt so bad for folks that got rained out that Saturday night.
We were there, too!! It was our arrival day so no park for us. We had such a lovely afternoon at the pool then the skies opened. We were at POR and ended up watching the UT game in the room with friends then raced through the rain to see Yeeha Bob.

With some flights being cancelled into next week makes me concerned for my 8am flight into MCO on Thursday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter