• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

Not to diminish any damage or injuries that anyone incurred from Harvey or Katrina. However, the majority of damage for both of these was due to water, and not necessarily storm surge. The water that's still sitting in Houston is mostly due to rain and lack of any drainage. The water that significantly damaged New Orleans was mostly due to the levees breaking, which allowed water in. Once water gets into New Orleans, there really isn't anywhere for it to go, especially if the pumps aren't working. The hurricane force wind and storm surge damage due to both of these hurricanes was mainly on the actual coast, not 70 miles inland. I think there will be some damage in Orlando due to Irma, but comparing the Houston and New Orleans damage to what Orlando will see is like comparing apples and oranges. Now, if you were talking about Miami, Ft Myers, anything on the coast, it would be a real comparison.

Here's to hoping that everyone can stay safe and that it's not as bad as predicted:goodvibes
Yes. Everyone wants to say Katrina damaged NO. Really wasn't Katrina. It was a failed levee from a failed infrastructure from a overall failed administration. Had the levee been built as it was supposed to and then everything else after worked that would not have happened. I remember watching the morning Katrina came in. When the storm was past and they first reported everything was fine. Then water started rising live on TV and they realized something was going on and it went downhill from there.

... there is no excuse for the people heading to Orlando today or tomorrow for a vacation. They are getting in the way and utilizing resources that could be used for people evacuating.
If you don't like it there is an ignore feature.

They are basically sequestered in Disney. They aren't really getting in anyone's way or taking the resources of people who are evacuating. They're eating Disney box lunches and drinking yucky Disney water.

Just to play devil's advocate a bit on here. I called Disney twice to cancel. Both times the cast members talked me into still coming! I asked the last one "if you were in Detroit, would you fly there knowing what you know about the storm?" He said "absolutely I would". They both said "if it were me personally, I wouldn't cancel." This was this past Thursday at 530pm, 2.5 hours before we were scheduled to take off.

I ultimately decided to reschedule on the way to the airport because the others in my party were not comfortable going. But "Disney" did not seem to be bothered at all by me coming at this time.

Disney is a money making machine, they never report any negative that can reduce business. Half of WDW could be destroyed and they would still be telling you not to cancel. For what a Disney vacation costs, I for one don't want to spend my money watching as WDW works to come back to life after the storm. This isn't the only time to vacation there so why take any chances?

:earsboy: Bill

Hoping for the best. We leave from RDU at 4:22 and are scheduled to land around 6:40ish. We are not connecting anywhere which I am happy about. Someone said ATL is already cancelling flights for Tuesday.
Well thankfully I am flying non-stop from New Orleans at 7:30 am. Expected to arrive at 10:30ish in Orlando. Probably will get delayed but just hoping we can get in!

Yes. Everyone wants to say Katrina damaged NO. Really wasn't Katrina. It was a failed levee from a failed infrastructure from a overall failed administration. Had the levee been built as it was supposed to and then everything else after worked that would not have happened. I remember watching the morning Katrina came in. When the storm was past and they first reported everything was fine. Then water started rising live on TV and they realized something was going on and it went downhill from there.

I remember that too. Being not too far from there, visited often, and my mother lived there for a little while, I watched it pretty intently. I thought they had dodged a bullet for a while, but it wasn't meant to be. Now, the Mississippi coast took the beating from Katrina. Stuff was just leveled like an F5 tornado had gone through:(

Orlando and the surrounding area is a giant swamp full of lakes, sinkholes and over-saturated sandy ground. If anyone thinks Orlando can't flood, they are mistaken.

And even if Orlando is in good shape, the odds are good that coastal areas nearby, like Tampa, and Melbourne, will need extra resources after Irma sweeps through.

The problem may not be Orlando, but if a 8foot surge hits Tampa, and 5 feet in Miami, the state's resources are going to be almost totally deployed there. So, even if Orlando escapes Harvey-like damage, the rest of the is going to draw manpower and resources needed to get back to speed.

Also, Orlando has a lot of residential areas with very pretty live and southern oaks, with big, tough branches that can break in big winds. There may not be a lot of building damage, but roads will be impassable and lines will be downed, and those trees re tough to cut up. Just because the damage won't be as dramatic as other storms doesn't minimize the difficulty recovering from it will be.

Orlando and the surrounding area is a giant swamp full of lakes, sinkholes and over-saturated sandy ground. If anyone thinks Orlando can't flood, they are mistaken.

And even if Orlando is in good shape, the odds are good that coastal areas nearby, like Tampa, and Melbourne, will need extra resources after Irma sweeps through.
You are making too much sense......people seem to have serious denial blinders on reading through all this. Thanks for being a voice of reason

Disney is a money making machine, they never report any negative that can reduce business. Half of WDW could be destroyed and they would still be telling you not to cancel. For what a Disney vacation costs, I for one don't want to spend my money watching as WDW works to come back to life after the storm. This isn't the only time to vacation there so why take any chances?

:earsboy: Bill
Exactly. They are in a business to make money. They employee 62,000 people. And what happens to jobs when tourist don't come and their isn't a need for their employees? Do they still get paid? If they don't get paid, how will they pay for any of the resources that tourists would supposedly be taking away?

This post goes to all the "I know best" posters in this thread. I live in Florida (18 years in Orlando and 15 years now in the panhandle), which includes Andrew, the 2004 hurricanes, and Ivan, not to mention some very bad tropical storms. If I do not have an issue with people not cancelling, then someone who does not live in this state should keep their opinions and even more, their judgement to themselves! I do not feel, one bit, that these people are taking my resources, especially the ones flying in, has no car and staying onsite. So please tell me what are these resources that they are taking from me?? If this is something you would not do, then guess what, that is YOUR decision.
There are not enough likes possible for this post. Especially the last sentence. That is ALL this boils down to. What exactly is so very hard to understand about that?

They are basically sequestered in Disney. They aren't really getting in anyone's way or taking the resources of people who are evacuating. They're eating Disney box lunches and drinking yucky Disney water.
Surely in some minds that's punishment enough right there ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter