• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

I was told that I might even be able to go to Sanaa as well with the shuttle.

Disney officials are not dumb enough to have shuttle drivers out in the middle of a hurricane- talk about a lawsuit when something bad happens! And nobody in their right mind is going to want to be anywhere but a solid structure during the worst of it.

I really worry that people are imagining a bad thunderstorm. High winds and heavy rain are very dangerous.

Disney officials are not dumb enough to have shuttle drivers out in the middle of a hurricane- talk about a lawsuit when something bad happens! And nobody in their right mind is going to want to be anywhere but a solid structure during the worst of it.

I really worry that people are imagining a bad thunderstorm. High winds and heavy rain are very dangerous.

Ok everyone who thinks people are gonna be running to Sanaa and trying to pet the giraffes during the storm...

The storm is supposed to be worst for Orlando from about 8 at night Sunday to 8 in the morning Monday. I'm sure thing will be limited then. No one is trying to say otherwise. But before and after there will be more to do.

I should have said "some" people. And even those people I'm not judging. I hope they are right, actually, and it doesn't hit.

It's all good. It has been hard to judge what to do. We have been here since 09/02 and scheduled to leave 09/13; early we heard of people coming from the keys and miami inland around the Orlando area and were told to stay put as we weren't in Evac zones. With the new updates late this week we called for flights and AA told us the best option was to stay on our Wed flight (nothing avail for 4) or try standby. Flying standby with small children 3, 7 wasn't a great option.

Someone posted this on the Confirmed thread:

21432688_10102685609319272_9197199165823511009_n.jpg

I think Disney is covering themselves with this letter. I believe that people were able to walk around the lobbies during Matthew. However, this is not Matthew and the situation will be different. Disney will be keeping track of the storm and if at any time they think it is dangerous to be out of your room they will have people return to their rooms. It is no guarantee that it will be one way or the other.

I'm one of those who is worried about my upcoming trip on the the 24th. I have to say it's been on my mind if we should even bother going. I've considered rescheduling this trip but I guess I'll wait and see what, if any damage has incurred and what the cleanup will be like. I hope I don't sound selfish, I truly care about all of you who are there (along with everyone in Irma's path, of course) and hope that by some miracle, it changes for the better - even by a little bit. My managers mom lives in Tampa and she already flew her up here to get her out of harms way. The forecast for that area is getting worse by the hour! Prayers that you all stay safe and that this thing blows over quickly.
I rescheduled our trip 8-15th to 25th per the suggestion of the cast member. They seemed confident those dates wouldn't be a problem.

The storm is supposed to be worst for Orlando from about 8 at night Sunday to 8 in the morning Monday. I'm sure thing will be limited then. No one is trying to say otherwise. But before and after there will be more to do.

While true, Disney is going to want to keep people from moving between locations at much as possible for the duration of the storm (Earlier Sunday until sometime later on Monday). Even for AKL, they're going to likely keep people from going between Jambo and Kidani as much as possible.

Also important to remember that for most people in the villas, Sanaa will likely be the only table service they can get to for a majority of the storm. Disney may want to keep that as open as possible for those guests, and restrict people in Jambo house to the Mara/Boma/Jikos (Depending what opens based on ride out team + staff ability).

Just a thought to keep in mind.

To figure out the "worst" locations for potential impacts during a hurricane you need to draw an arrow in the direction that the storm is moving and have that be the center of 4 quadrants. The upper right and lower left quadrants have the maximum vorticity and best chances of tornadoes and enhanced wind damage.

All the closet meteorologist on this board just make me smile. Regardless of where the eye of the storm goes, the tropical storm winds are going to be extending far from the center.

While true, Disney is going to want to keep people from moving between locations at much as possible for the duration of the storm (Earlier Sunday until sometime later on Monday). Even for AKL, they're going to likely keep people from going between Jambo and Kidani as much as possible.

Also important to remember that for most people in the villas, Sanaa will likely be the only table service they can get to for a majority of the storm. Disney may want to keep that as open as possible for those guests, and restrict people in Jambo house to the Mara/Boma/Jikos (Depending what opens based on ride out team + staff ability).

Just a thought to keep in mind.

Yeah I totally get that. If it start getting bad I would feel terrible asking a cast member to drive me to dinner when I have an amazing buffet, an incredible signature, a nice quick service and a lounge all in the hotel!

Do you mean for the locals? I know for us at least, I'm confident buildings at Disney are going to still be standing, and I would imagine any power loss would be brief. I can't say the same for my house! We could have pretty extensive damage, and it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll lose power. Disney would be safer and more comfortable and for us, that's worth the cost. We just can't find a room!

Plan for the worse and hope for the best. The agencies and professionals are guessing where Irma will go and that seems to change by the hour, I don't think that Disney has the ability to know for sure what will happen. WDW utilities are fed by outside sources, if they stop feeding WDW, water, power, sewage, gas, could all be affected. If past storms have picked up cars and trucks and tossed them aside, leveled buildings, even ones thought to be storm proof, a direct hit at WDW could be a disaster. Plastic ties won't keep trash cans from being tossed through your rooms balcony door. We do not vacation at WDW or take cruises in September just for this very reason.

Hopefully the storm will pass as many people as possible and with minor damage. Florida and others in Irma's path will take months/years to rebuild just like Texas will.

:earsboy: Bill

We are having what I call "Velvet Rain." If this is my last 48 hours..."Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?" -- Blade Runner

Yeah I totally get that. If it start getting bad I would feel terrible asking a cast member to drive me to dinner when I have an amazing buffet, an incredible signature, a nice quick service and a lounge all in the hotel!

People will try, though.

Some were trying to walk from Poly to GF for dinner during Matthew (curfew in place). However, the restaurants, which were on limited menus, were open for resort guests only.

I think Disney is covering themselves with this letter. I believe that people were able to walk around the lobbies during Matthew. However, this is not Matthew and the situation will be different. Disney will be keeping track of the storm and if at any time they think it is dangerous to be out of your room they will have people return to their rooms. It is no guarantee that it will be one way or the other.

That was me - and we're staying at Pop, so walking around lobbies would entail a bit of an outdoor saunter ;)

Grab some food!!! Stay safe!!

Thanks - we have tons. Still a ridiculous number of dining credits left after using QS at Pop and Confectionary... they expire tomorrow lol. I suspect we'll end up not using them, as we don't have a way to get our uneaten stuff home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter