• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

These people seem woefully naive. They have some chips and a few bottles of water for 2 days? They'll put the suitcases on the bed? Do they realize that if the doors or windows blow in, the suitcases will be blown off the bed? Their belongings would be more secure in the closet like area near the sink. And I would have probably put some real food in that fridge, like chicken, fruits, or at least some protein bars or sandwiches from the food court. Take the drinks out, fill the sink with ice, and stick them in there to free up fridge room.
Also, if that river floods, a single layer of 3 sandbags isn't going to save them.

I have a feeling these 2 are in for a miserable 2 days. Especially if the power goes out and they can't watch the free mickey movies.
Well to be fair he did say they weren't able to get any other food. All the "good" food was gone.

Yeah, I didn't get the THREE sand bags.

I'm thinking people ride this out at WDW hoping it won't be so bad or will change course and then they will get a park that's deserted for the rest of their trip?

Well to be fair he did say they weren't able to get any other food. All the "good" food was gone.

True, but it isn't like this hurricane all of a sudden popped up. We've known this was coming and they a) chose to go on vacation anyway and b) didn't bother to make sure they would have enough food and water to survive a couple days. I just hope nobody is taking their video as serious prepping advice. They seem very nice and I wish them the best, but I would not follow their lead in disaster preparations.

True, but it isn't like this hurricane all of a sudden popped up. We've known this was coming and they a) chose to go on vacation anyway and b) didn't bother to make sure they would have enough food and water to survive a couple days. I just hope nobody is taking their video as serious prepping advice. They seem very nice and I wish them the best, but I would not follow their lead in disaster preparations.
I agree about their advice. But I'm guessing they were already on vacation and weren't able to get a flight out. I personally wouldn't assume they flew in from the U.K. (although I'm assuming they are from the U.K.) aware they were going to vacation in a hurricane.

If they are from the UK, they very well could have come in a week or so ago and not been able to get out (UK folks usually stay for 2 weeks). They are trying their best in a situation that is entirely foreign to them, and judging them without knowing their full story is not really fair.

The weather on the day after Matthew in WDW was fabulous. Sunny, breezy, not hot or humid. Around here, it would have been called a Top Ten Day of the year weather-wise.

The weather after we left was a big improvement over the week leading up to Matthew, which was my trip week.

We had a torrential downpour that lasted hours and caused flash flooding the night we arrived on 10/1/16, the 45th anniversary at MK. It set the tone for remainder of our trip, which included Matthew.
We must have been there at the same time last October because we got drenched on October 1st, too. We were caught at DHS in the downpour. The week before Matthew hit had oppressive humidity. I'm glad that you confirmed that it got nicer after the storm cleared out. :)

I may be wrong, but I'm hoping Disney is planning to add some more sand bags there. Also....Not sure this is recent? It's already dark there, so can't be from today. Maybe Matthew? Maybe those walkways flood in those areas with heavy rain? If it was me, I'd be hightailing it over to Epcot right now and gorging on F&W food, and grabbing some stuff to go from the QS places, plus stopping at the Boardwalk or BC to grab some more food. I'm mostly concerned that they don't seem to have very much water!

I agree about their advice. But I'm guessing they were already on vacation and weren't able to get a flight out. I personally wouldn't assume they flew in from the U.K. (although I'm assuming they are from the U.K.) aware they were going to vacation in a hurricane.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. I forget that overseas visitors usually stay weeks at a time, and I don't know what the international flights were looking like last week. They still had plenty of time to stock on good food and water.

I saw on the news that an Indiana family actually left Thursday night to drive to Disneyworld. Into the storm. I just don't understand the logic on that one, and I'm wondering if they will even be able to get enough gas along the route to finish their trip.

?? So they wouldn't have to leave if their reservation was over?
Yeah - the laws vary by state - but you still have to pay - and they can charge the fair rate of course or more in some states.

Im not sure what the law is in Florida, but I also cant see them telling a guest to leave who's house was ruined in a hurricane.

These people seem woefully naive. They have some chips and a few bottles of water for 2 days? They'll put the suitcases on the bed? Do they realize that if the doors or windows blow in, the suitcases will be blown off the bed? Their belongings would be more secure in the closet like area near the sink. And I would have probably put some real food in that fridge, like chicken, fruits, or at least some protein bars or sandwiches from the food court. Take the drinks out, fill the sink with ice, and stick them in there to free up fridge room.
Also, if that river floods, a single layer of 3 sandbags isn't going to save them.

I have a feeling these 2 are in for a miserable 2 days. Especially if the power goes out and they can't watch the free mickey movies.

I think they forgot chainsaws, generators, iodine tablets and fishing poles. That river will come in handy when all the food runs out at Disney. -- Bear Grylls

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. I forget that overseas visitors usually stay weeks at a time, and I don't know what the international flights were looking like last week. They still had plenty of time to stock on good food and water.

I saw on the news that an Indiana family actually left Thursday night to drive to Disneyworld. Into the storm. I just don't understand the logic on that one, and I'm wondering if they will even be able to get enough gas along the route to finish their trip.
That's crazy.
I thought all traffic was directed OUT of Florida?

I may be wrong, but I'm hoping Disney is planning to add some more sand bags there. Also....Not sure this is recent? It's already dark there, so can't be from today. Maybe Matthew? Maybe those walkways flood in those areas with heavy rain? If it was me, I'd be hightailing it over to Epcot right now and gorging on F&W food, and grabbing some stuff to go from the QS places, plus stopping at the Boardwalk or BC to grab some more food. I'm mostly concerned that they don't seem to have very much water!

He says they are preparing for Irma in the video. I agree it did seem awfully dark but thought maybe it was last night or bad lighting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter