Hurricane Irma?

Yeah it's hard, but in a couple days things will be much more clear - literally and figuratively.

Hang in there! I'd be into my third bottle of wine by now, and it's 10:15 am here. ;)
I am on my 4th cup of coffeee and it's 10:21 here in New Orleans. Plus about half way through a pack of cigarettes (planning to quit at Disney- not even bringing hen with me).

[edited because phone glitch posted my reply before I was done, and to remove quote]

Ummm, I've tried to stay out of the debate about "cancel the plans and leave resources for locals" vs "stop the doom and gloom, this thread is about helping fellow DIS'ers figure out what's what during Irma", but "locals should know better" has pushed me over the edge.

REALLY?!? This thread has had multiple posts about "oh, Irma's not comparable to Harvey" and "oh, the storm is weakening"

My brother works in construction. Yesterday, he spent time boarding up houses in Lee County, per his bosses orders. My sister works in Home Depot. She has spent several days this week working 12 hour shifts so that people can get the supplies they need to be prepared. As recently as Thursday, it appeared that the storm would potentially be primarily an East Coast event.

A good chunk of my family is in harms way, and I would appreciate it if this thread wouldn't refer to them derisively as "locals", and imply that it's their fault if they stayed behind. They aren't in a mandatory evacuation zone, and their job needed them to be there. But I AM worried about their safety during the storm, and their access to resources later.

A little compassion for everyone please.

Last edited:
Sorry to repeat but anyone have experience with DME in this kind of situation? Do they take traffic conditions and crowds at the airport into account, or should I worry about missing my flight?
They take this all into account on your check out day go to the DME stand and speak with the cast mate there. Just verify all times and you should be ok.

Don't cancel until the very last minute if you can help it. Monday morning you will know so much more.

And don't let any of the posters here make you feel guilty about it. If Disney is up and running and says come on in, you have every right to go on you vacation. You aren't "taking resources" from others.
Agree. On both. Just ignore these folks. If Disney couldn't handle the guests they would tell you. Not some random internet poster who's opinion means nothing

So I woke up this morning thinking we should leave, after the 11 o'clock came out I asked my partner and he said no, after watching the Facebook live of WCTV I fell better staying, but will keep an eye on the 5 o'clock and decide then. Right now, time to go see if I can find ice to fill the cooler with, maybe even dry ice too

Just the fact that they have underground wires will lessen the chance that the complex loses power.
Not really. While some of the electrical cables may be underground at WDW, RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District) aka WDW, buys about 3/4 of it's electrical power from outside utilities and those power cables aren't necessarily below ground. Areas of WDW have and can lose power.

Hurricane approaching and EMH at AK this morning.

Flight of Passage 90 minutes at 8:20.

(Rode it last night for the first time... life changing.)

Facebook is seriously the worst thing that has ever happened to America.
Preach! It was great when you had to have a college email to get on. Then they opened it up to everyone.

Everyone, I'll help anyone in any way I can. I'm home all weekend and by my computer/phone, so please reach out if there's anything I can do.

Someone made the suggestion a few pages back to get children's tylenol for your room, honestly I think that's a great idea. I'd also add on a stomach medicine. Fear/Anxiety can easily start upsetting tummies (in both kids and adults). Please be safe, don't try to go out to get cool pictures or video. Debris will fly faster than you can move out of the way.

Preach! It was great when you had to have a college email to get on. Then they opened it up to everyone.

Everyone, I'll help anyone in any way I can. I'm home all weekend and by my computer/phone, so please reach out if there's anything I can do.

Someone made the suggestion a few pages back to get children's tylenol for your room, honestly I think that's a great idea. I'd also add on a stomach medicine. Fear/Anxiety can easily start upsetting tummies (in both kids and adults). Please be safe, don't try to go out to get cool pictures or video. Debris will fly faster than you can move out of the way.

What do you think you are... a doctor or something? :thumbsup2

Not really. While some of the electrical cables may be underground at WDW, RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District) aka WDW, buys about 3/4 of it's electrical power from outside utilities and those power cables aren't necessarily below ground. Areas of WDW have and can lose power.

Of course. But the less above-ground wires heading into the exact building or home you are in, the less chance of losing power. Sure you can still lose it if something else goes down.

We have flights that arrive in Tampa on September 23 and we fly out Oct 8th. We are booked at BLT for the first week and rented a house for the second week. How is everyone else leaving around then feeling? My concern with this new track is the storm surge in Tampa. (although hopefully a few weeks out, the airport would be fine)

I'm set to fly into Tampa on the 20th. Not for Disney though. We have 3 nights planned at a beachfront hotel in Clearwater for our 15th anniversary. I'm just in watch and wait mode now.

I hope everyone stays safe in Florida and effected areas.

Totally agree with your first comment, respectfully disagree with your second...don't go with your gut, you go with logic and warnings from FEMA, the Governor and locals who tell you not to come to down. Gut not necessary.

I've posted multiple times: even if Orlando doesn't get hit hard, millions of people are now heading north to get out of the way...they need somewhere to go. Tourist rob locals from resources they desperately need while unnecessarily imposing on first respondents.

I was in no way implying not to listen to the warnings and actually think some are being a bit cavalier about the severity and implications, if things are as bad as anticipated. So, I'm not disagreeing with you there, and the two statements aren't mutually exclusive. I was simply responding to this person specifically who apparently did listen and was beating herself up over her decision. :grouphug:

Last edited:
I can see heading to WDW if you are a local. Just the fact that they have underground wires will lessen the chance that the complex loses power, which could make riding out the storm more comfortable to say the least.

I do feel bad for the people in the Tampa area. I forget the day now, but people were thinking that this storm would go east and hit SC (which would of course have been bad for those folks)

I agree!!!

Our friends, just north east of Tampa, are as prepared as they can be; but, really they had been preparing as though the track would be further east, as predicted yesterday. Her family in the east coast had gone over to them.

It's a better science than what we had even a few decades ago, but they are called predictions for a reason.

I just keep praying for all these people to be able to get the supplies they need.

I have mixed feelings about tourists HEADING to the area the last few days. I know I would not have. But I also go fairly often and am getting used to cancelling trips.

:sad2::rotfl2::cool:

Looks like the eye might pass over me. Hopefully it still takes a harder right turn but around me now it's lockdown mode. All stores closed, all gas stations either closed or out of gas.

IMG_1760.JPG

Re Facebook,

I'm not on it, never have been, and probably never will be. Up until a year ago, I had not one nice thing to say about it.

BUT last year after my mom was trapped in her flooded house during Matthew, and later texted us for suggestions for help to remove sodden carpet and drywall, my sister was able to reach out to her high school friends and found someone who helped our mom. THIS week, he reached out to my sister and offered to check on Mom, and when she told him privately that Mom's out of state, he said he could give us updates about the house. (Not sure if that will be needed since we're wondering if the storm surge might very well wipe it off her property altogether, but still an awesome offer!)

So, even though I have zero plans to be on FB myself, it can still be a good tool. Like all tools, it is subject to "user error "

We are on 75 heading to Knoxville (out of Chattanooga) for the football game. 90%, or more, of the cars have FL tags.

Just passed the rest area and not sure I've ever seen it so full of motor homes and trucks on a weekend.

And on the opposite side I've seen dozens of line truck crews headed south ready to stage for repair work. They outnumber cars 3 to 1.

DH said their agency has crews on stand by to go but can't send them until they know what will be needed here. They install the towers that feed power stations (he sites the towers). Right now we are still in the path for some potentially bad stuff early next week so they are holding for now. I guess we'll spend tomorrow making sure we have batteries and propane

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter