Hurricane Irma?

We are looking to cancel our trip today. Was originally supposed to leave this morning and arrive tomorrow afternoon (the 7th) and be at Disney for 6 days, then universal, then beach bumming through the 17th.

Right now, we are trying to get it rescheduled (hopefully) to arrive on the 14th and stay through the 19th. That seems really close behind the storm, so I'm concerned with those dates, but if we don't go then it might be next year before all of our work schedules allow his much vacation time and we've been saving and giving up things for this trip for over a year (first world problems, I know). Disney shows available rooms for those days, currently.

For people who have dealt with this before, does it seem like things will be clearing up around the 14th and the following week?

The latest GFS model has the eye missing florida and skirting up the east coast. There would be wind and rain at WDW Sunday overnight in this scenario. This is almost the exact same route Matthew took.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...ind&runtime=2017090518&fh=222&xpos=0&ypos=423

However, this is just one run of the model and as many people have pointed out there is till a lot of room for error. However several of the hurricane experts/meteorologists that I follow have said that while the model runs have a large margin of error this far out, the *trends* in the models are the thing to watch. This is especially relevant as the Hurricane Hunter planes have been sending masses of data that have helped inform the models since yesterday. Both the GFS (American) and EURO (European) have been trending further and further east in their model runs today. Which has resulted in Irma missing Florida in this particular run.
Yes, I've noticed this morning the trending towards a northern turn and it possibly skirting up the east coast of Florida.
If it follows Matthew's track and holds together at all and hits us in eastern NC, we're in for some massive trouble. We've had tons of rain over the past week and storms and downpours are coming this evening into tomorrow morning. Even if she hits as a tropical storm we'll have major flooding. Matthew hit us last year as a tropical storm and it was over a week before the flooding subsided and power was restored to the entire area.

I wish she'd just go back out to sea. Hussy.

We are looking to cancel our trip today. Was originally supposed to leave this morning and arrive tomorrow afternoon (the 7th) and be at Disney for 6 days, then universal, then beach bumming through the 17th.

Right now, we are trying to get it rescheduled (hopefully) to arrive on the 14th and stay through the 19th. That seems really close behind the storm, so I'm concerned with those dates, but if we don't go then it might be next year before all of our work schedules allow his much vacation time and we've been saving and giving up things for this trip for over a year (first world problems, I know). Disney shows available rooms for those days, currently.

For people who have dealt with this before, does it seem like things will be clearing up around the 14th and the following week?

This is a category 5 storm. 190 mph winds Unprecedented. What happened before doesn't matter and doesn't compare. All of Florida is under the gun.

Too early to tell what will happen. But at current predictions Florida will not be ready in a week after the storm.

Called at 7:00 got thru, on hold for 40 minutes then disconnected for some reason called back immediately over an hour wait. Have any of you that moved reservations this morning got to keep free dinning like some did last night?

WHY are Folks switching to Sept. 12th for their arrival date?!?!?!
This morning's forecast says Irma will hit southern FL early Mon. a.m.--Sept. 11th; SO Irma could be in Central FL on the 12th?!?!
Won't MCO be CLOSED?!?!?!

It won't take her that long to move past central FL, no, not if landfall were really at 2am Monday. Whether airports etc would be open again by the 12th is another matter.

No way of knowing until the storm comes. Way too many variables. Roads could be clear or there could be trees blocking them. Power could be fine or it could be out for a week.

I emailed last night asking what my options were. I'm hoping someone responds. I can't call and get info and make a decision on the spot just yet. So many things to consider. We did purchase travel insurance but what I'm concerned about is losing the dining promo that we upgraded to include table service. If it weren't for that I'd push our trip back a couple weeks. I'm sure traveling in a gas guzzling RV through an area on a gas shortage with downed power lines and trees blocking the road wouldn't be a smart idea

For Viigin Atlantic people due to go to Orlando (including me)

It is not on Virgin Atlantics' website yet but they WILL RESCHEDULE flights FREE OF CHARGE if you ring them.

This is why I've constantly said to said until Wed at the earliest to change. More and more models have it missing Florida now.

I'm still not sure I want to risk it but it's definitely looking better.

An UPDATE: After 2 hours I made it through to guest services and got the nicest CM ever! I rebooked our trip to 12/10-12/17 and she honored my free dining because it was also a period of dates released in April for free dining. I had to pay the difference in the room rate and tickets because we bought the tickets last year on a bounceback but I am GRATEFUL and don't care about the extra cash at this point. There was no change fee. So there is hope!!

Hoping they all get on the same page about free dining. Unfortunately it's up to my TA on who she gets for a CM since she has to do the changes for me... But I'm still holding out to Friday to make any official changes. Fingers crossed!

Hurricane Irma is now the strongest storm in the recorded history of the Atlantic Ocean basin. The remarkable statistic comes after the 5 p.m. Tuesday advisory from the National Hurricane Center holds the storm's max sustained winds at 185 mph. This is unchanged from the earlier 2 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center.

Wind gusts with the hurricane are now hitting an incredible 225 mph.
Hi! Here now at the Beach club we move Friday to Bay Tower renting vacation club points from Dave's vacation club. Disney has been extremely cooperative and upfront in regards to the impending storm, hurricane Irma and giving people full refunds if they choose to leave. We have contacted Dave's vacation club and they have not been as cooperative or even clear with any type of definitive answers. We have spoken to Disney Vacation club and they are refunding points back to DVC members but renting points we must go thru Dave's vacation club. We have offered to re-purchase our points at a different time at the rate for that time period but Dave's vacation club said due to the complexities of the point system we can not rent the same points that he tries to resell on his site. We have a special needs child with complex medical needs and Dave's vacation club needs to be clear on their position with clear concise details so we can make a decision.
Pam Gilligan

Made the decision and told my Travel agent to cancel for me, even if she cant get it waived and we have to pay the $200 fee. I do not want to be in the midst of all the chaos! Plus, husbands grandparents in tennessee said hotels are already full that far north with floridians evacuating, and family of ours in Georgia say gas is getting scarce there too. Our driving route to go had us through Georgia on sunday so even Irma moved east a little we would then hit the east coast evacuation traffic. Either way, not worth it to us. Hopefully Disney sees that we are trying to make the right choice and grant us the fee waivered. If not, oh well!

Best of luck to anyone that has to deal with Hurricane Irma. Thoughts and prayers go out to all. I have friends that live in the Miami and Boca area.

Good morning everyone, 5 pages in. We have decided we are going and extending through to Thursday or Friday instead of leaving Tuesday. If I die, at least I die at WDW. Kidding not kidding :upsidedow:upsidedow. I have no kids, no shiny career to lose, and no hope for the future, so might as well live it up while I can. Hopefully I'll post back here not dead by this time next week. Before you call me dramatic, I was dramatic two days ago. I am calm, cool, and collected now. We're going for it.

WHOOOOHOOO!!!

If I buy groceries it would be vegan cream cheese, vegan cheese, etc etc. No one wants that stuff. One of the few perks of having a different diet, I guess? I have seen many photos of shelves stripped bare except for all the specialty foods. It's really not that bad so if you missed out on groceries you should give it a try!

Where I live we could be dealing with hurricanes and snow storms. It always baffled me why people go so basic when they could be stuck inside eating more fun food.

This thread sure has gone down a rabbit hole since I last checked 25-ish pages ago. Still not sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably decide tomorrow. But I am still sticking with wanting to help each other.

ugh, I feel for you guys having to decide. If it were me I'd wait until the last possible second to cancel altogether - I mean if you are going to get money back regardless, might as well wait to see what happens. If you can go, great! If not, you still get your money back.

Good luck everybody!

This poor Veteran seems to have problems of remembering and seems to have scare tactics. Thank you for your knowledge!

Going back pages to keep chewing that bone----

Actually, this post was in response to a pp's picture, and, at that time I was saying it came out in the news as truth!!
'At that time'! I wasn't far, so I remembered. So, 'later' they disproved it. Sheesh!

All circuits are busy right now. We fly out tomorrow from Houston. Will try throughout the day. I can schedule my flight for a different day as my flight falls under the Harvey waiver. United is not including Orlando in their waiver for Irma at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter