How will I wait so long?!

I waited until my child was 5 for their first trip- but only bc I was worried about taking him alone.

I have photos of me and my parents age 1 with my Mickey ears on in front of the castle (I wanted that same photo of myself and my son). Of course I do not remember that trip, but my parents said I loved it! It was only 2 or 3 nights though, added to a beach vacation.

When I finally took my son we stayed 8 nights at Poly- he absolutely loved everything about it. I tried to stay 1 more night but they were full, so we switched to POFQ for that last night. His initial reaction- "Mommy, can we go back to the Polynesian, this place has a baby slide, and I can't see the castle and space mountain." He ended up being fine with it and we loved the boat ride to Disney Springs!

What I learned the most on that trip- we will never do that amount of time again. It was way too much! I think 5 nights will be max here on out.

I agree!

By the way, in our family I just plan trips then give the details to my DH (if he's going). Like most men, he just goes along with what I've planned! LOL.

I wouldn't worry about staying in an over the top expensive hotel - I used to be such a snob about hotels but now find Pop is fine for 2 (well, a baby doesn't take up much space).

The Swan and Dolphin are also much cheaper than the other Epcot resorts, and that area is so nice!

Is that because you can ride the monorail to the parks? Because that is a BORING resort for a 4YO. My kids were not even impressed that the monorail goes through it. We stayed at Pop Century and they loved walking all around and looking at the amazing stuff and taking pictures with the "GIANT TOYS". The time spent in parks outweighs the time in the room. Plus, you have to take the monorail to the ticket center/transportation center and then get off to get to Epcot- the monorail does not run directly to there, or just take a bus.

For us, we would rather do more budget trips than 1 large expensive trip every 5 years. My almost 3 year old has barely any memory of the trip we took last year so you may find that the memories you look for are mainly for you and your husband, and then you want to go back in a year or two.

As a mom of 3, I would look for kid-themed resorts over the contemporary, mainly because as a kid, they will love the goofy themed rooms so much more than the "stylish" ones. I showed my kids the pirate room at the Caribbean, and they still wanted Pop Century.
My husband and his family stayed at the Swan and Dolphin as kids and he said he barely remembers it because it was just a normal fancy hotel to him. (That was before POP).

Honestly, if we still fit into a POP room, that is where we would stay, but we will be camping this time because the AOA is a bit out of our "Return to Disney every 18 months" budget.

I wish we would have taken our firstborn earlier, but we kept having another every 2 years :D and we could not afford it then, so she was 6 when she first went and loved it, but the 2YO and 4YO loved it too.

If you decide to wait- just plan a little at a time, and there is no reason not to make a countdown timer anyway :D
Well the thing about the contemporary is that it isn't as themed but the walking to and from MK is really what is selling us there, especially with the crowds to have that autonomy is important to us. But I've also thought the Poly may be more themed and fun.

I waited until my child was 5 for their first trip- but only bc I was worried about taking him alone.

I have photos of me and my parents age 1 with my Mickey ears on in front of the castle (I wanted that same photo of myself and my son). Of course I do not remember that trip, but my parents said I loved it! It was only 2 or 3 nights though, added to a beach vacation.

When I finally took my son we stayed 8 nights at Poly- he absolutely loved everything about it. I tried to stay 1 more night but they were full, so we switched to POFQ for that last night. His initial reaction- "Mommy, can we go back to the Polynesian, this place has a baby slide, and I can't see the castle and space mountain." He ended up being fine with it and we loved the boat ride to Disney Springs!

What I learned the most on that trip- we will never do that amount of time again. It was way too much! I think 5 nights will be max here on out.

Ok thanks for that, we were thinking 4-5 nights with a couple days on either side so we can ease from vacation to returning to work. So with a shorter stay we were wanting to have a more deluxe resort because we're already cutting the cost by not staying 7-8 nights. But I've heard great things about POFQ!

I agree!

By the way, in our family I just plan trips then give the details to my DH (if he's going). Like most men, he just goes along with what I've planned! LOL.

I wouldn't worry about staying in an over the top expensive hotel - I used to be such a snob about hotels but now find Pop is fine for 2 (well, a baby doesn't take up much space).

The Swan and Dolphin are also much cheaper than the other Epcot resorts, and that area is so nice!

Does he mind being left behind? Because I'm for seeing some girls trips when my daughter is older!

Ok thanks for that, we were thinking 4-5 nights with a couple days on either side so we can ease from vacation to returning to work. So with a shorter stay we were wanting to have a more deluxe resort because we're already cutting the cost by not staying 7-8 nights. But I've heard great things about POFQ!
You can't go wrong with either POFQ was a really cute resort and I liked the size..I'm not a fan of the huge spread out properties.

It just depends on what is more important. With a young child it is so neat to be able to watch the electrical water pageant and wishes from your room while wearing your pajamas, as well as to see the castle etc every morning when you wake up.

The monorail resorts are way overpriced, much more than what they should be...but what I mentioned above, along with transportation options...that's where they trick you into being able to justify the expense.lol

But-- if I couldn't justify it, then POFQ would be my choice above any other on property :)

We waited this long (going for the first time in Dec, DKs will be 9,8,5) because A. we wanted all the kids to remember it at least a little when they get to be adults, and B. so that we all get to enjoy it together. DS5 just hit 44" in the last couple months, which is the magic number for almost all the rides at Disney. So other than the extreme rides, we can all go as a family.

My DH is not a big fan of WDW. In the past I always convinced him by combining my WDW fix with another type of trip. Usually we would go to the beach at St Pete Beach and then go to WDW for a few days. Last March we had a cruise booked and we went to WDW for 3 days before. When I booked our next cruise for next spring break (no kids, they will stay with my parents) HE suggested a short trip to WDW since we will be in FL anyway! Yay!

If your DH absolutely wants to wait until your DD is 3yo (best age to start going imo) try to arrive just before your daughter turns 3. That way she eats for free at TS and buffets and she doesn't need FP+ or tickets. That is what we did last summer. We arrived 3 days before my youngest turned 3yo, we celebrated her birthday at MK with a brunch and custom cake at Chef Mickey (big disappointment) and dinner at BOG where she had a HUGE tantrum! Being a huge Minnie Mouse fan it was a great way for her to to celebrate her birthday! In fact, she often tells people how she turned 3yo with Minnie Mouse. I just hope she won't be too disappointed this summer when she will have a regular birthday party.

We waited this long (going for the first time in Dec, DKs will be 9,8,5) because A. we wanted all the kids to remember it at least a little when they get to be adults, and B. so that we all get to enjoy it together. DS5 just hit 44" in the last couple months, which is the magic number for almost all the rides at Disney. So other than the extreme rides, we can all go as a family.

Don't be surprised if your kids don't remember much about their trip in a few years. The first time I went to WDW with my parents I was 12yo and I barely remember it. I have flashes of some stuff but it's very vague. Having all the kids tall enough for most rides is a great advantage tho.

You will be able to do every one except for Rockin Roller Coaster! (My son was 45 inches when we went)

We took DD now 7 to DL for 1 day at age 3 as we were in town for a wedding. She had such a great time (we love DL too) we took a dedicated DL trip the following November when she was 4. My sister just took her 2 kids (nephew was almost 3 niece 15 months) they had a blast! Even my niece wants to go see Minnie all the time!

Does he mind being left behind? Because I'm for seeing some girls trips when my daughter is older!

No, my husband doesn't mind at all! I have taken my kids alone places since my son was 6 months old & we lived in Hawaii - I flew with him to Missouri for 3 weeks to visit family. First time we did Disney without him was when my kids were 4 and 6 (they had been a couple of times already with him, 3 I think?).

My favorite Disney trips now are just me and DD! We've done 3 so far. Most trips are without my husband honestly - he's just not that into it! He loves Hawaii instead.

Walking distance does make sense with a little one, but if you are also going to the other parks (like it or not, HS is amazing for kids) then you are not going to be walking there anyway.

Poly is a very fun one and my husband said he wants to stay there again...BUT, as a family of 5 (soon to be 6) I can't justify $389 a night when we had so much fun at Pop Century for $100 a night and now we will be camping for $50 a night.

I also agree with the just before 3 idea, why pay $300 more for a kid that can't ride everything and does not eat much?
My son was 2 weeks shy of 3 when we went and he loved it. He does not remember much of it 18 months later, so we will be going again for sure.

If you absolutely want the contemporary so you are close and can walk- go for it! Your daughter will be amazed by the actual park anyway and the resort is just the place you rest and sleep :)

If we were going to do moderate or value, any recommendations with little ones with a shorter-ish commute to the hotel from MK?
Last fall we took our 2 year old and stayed at CSR. It was wonderful. They don't share buses with the other resorts so it makes the commute fairly short. Plus the pool was great.

Also, we said we would go back every day for a nap but we didn't. Not once. DD was a trooper and either slept in her stroller or was happily content. So that's something to keep in mind too - your plans can change on the fly.

I had a lot of people question taking such a young child but DD will be 3 in 2 months and she still talks about it. She asks to go back all the time. And the memories my DH and I made are way more important to me. My first trip was when I was 18 but I don't remember much about it so I don't expect her to but we have lots of photos and videos to help us remember the memories. It was a great family vacation.

Ever since the birth of my daughter almost a year ago I've gotten back into Disney big time and really, really want to go back to WDW. I haven't been since I was a kid in the 90s. She's turns a year next month, and my husband is on board for a Disney vacay and we want to do it "big": deluxe monorail resort, dining plan. But he wants to wait until she's at least THREE! Logically, I get it. Big expense, wait until she can ride more and start to get it/remember. But how will I wait? Secretly hoping I win the #whyiwantdeluxe contest...until then I'll be reading trip reports, listening to Dis Unplugged, daydreaming for two years.
What works for me between trips is Google Earth. Sad I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter