How To Survive a Hurricane with Pizza and Kurt Russell- An Oct DR *Complete

Just started reading - all of the food looks phenomenal! Sorry about that crazy weather - I hope the rest of your trip goes well!

I can't think of a better place to be cooped up at and with all those yummy treats! Great thinking! Homecoming looks a-m-A-zing!! I'm not sure what I want more, those cocktails or fried chicken! Both please!!!

You got there the day after I left. I really wanted to see David Cook but it was a vacation all about Sugar Ray for me :).

I'm so happy to see a review for Homecoming. I keep eyeing it but hadn't seen too much about it yet

Hey all!

I am currently back in WDW for the next two weeks! I promise to finish up the last little bit of my reviews as soon as I'm home and then I will have a whole new DR coming at ya.

In the meantime feel free to follow along with me on Instagram @jeriberri23. Trying to post lots of pics and IG stories so that you can all see my dining adventures as they happen.

So nice to get the story behind the report title! I had assumed you maybe over indulged in some of his wine that was available in one of the booths. I can't even imagine the stress. I mean in the abstract, being stuck in WDW sounds like a great problem to have but with real life commitments it is stressful. How smart were you with the food gathering! I remember seeing various posts of lobby & food court madness. Glad you were able to hunker down and had the 1-bedroom villa in which to do it!!!

Looking forward to hearing about your current adventure!

Following your latest adventure on IG, looks like the weather is better on this trip!
Glad you made it through the hurricane ok and you got 2 bonus days!

Omg... that chicken and donuts looks amazing!! We just got back and I'm so sad we didn't get there on this trip. I'm dying to try it.

How crazy that you were there during the hurricane :O But so smart of you to get some provisions for in the room, those bacon/cheese rolls from Les Halles are the best.

And I REALLY hate mustard, so this one was a pass for me.

I've hated mustard since I was a small child. I could tell instantly if something contained it. I found out in college that I was allergic to to mustard. My body's way of telling me to stay away from it.

I also got Two Henrys Elderberry Hard Cider.

This was one of my favorite drinks and I didn't try it until almost the last day. We went back on our last day and it was a massive thunderstorm and didn't get to have another glass. Hoping they have it again this year.

WOW! SO much crazy! Im glad that you were able to get food outside of the resort food court - that was a smart idea!

And you can't weather a hurricane (or tornade where I am from ) without some sort of alchcol -

I was surprised more people didn't have the same idea. Although, I also did it because I don't care for SSR's quick service location that much, so I might have made a bad decision and not gotten anything if we had been staying somewhere like POFQ.

:laughing: Yes! The alcohol was much needed!

Glad you enjoyed Homecoming! I haven't tried it yet but I have tried 1500 South 4 times now here in Naples which is the restaurant Art Smith opened a couple months before Homecoming. Knowing how amazing my meals at 1500 South have been, I can imagine how happy you were there! Isn't that fried chicken the best?

What was your movie count for 2016?

Thats awesome that you have had 1500 South so many times now. The chicken is so so good!

I ended at 51 for 2016. Ugh. One shy of my goal of 52. Not bad though.

We had the same experience. In fact, I wrote it down in my notes one particular CM because she was outstandingly rude, but I never stopped at guest services to mention it.

Yes!! One of my favorite snacks. SO good!

It stinks that y'all were hurricane trapped but it truly does sound like you made the best of it. Glad you did not end up with one of those crappy boxed lunches I heard about...

Oh me too! I had one after we had Morimoto and I'd forgotten what I had but this was it! Yum.

So glad y'all had a great experience at homecoming. I totally agree with you about the potatoes and the service!

That stinks that you had a rude CM there too. It rarely happens, so when it does it really takes you aback.

We definitely did make the best of it. So glad we didn't have to eat a boxed lunch! Or wait in the crazy lines.

I seriously dream about Homecoming. It's so delicious!

I was keeping tabs via the Disboards on how everyone was doing during the hurricane; I can imagine the stress and disappointment and even the worry, but it sounds like at least in the end it wasn't that bad for you guys! Although I wouldn't like to be stuck in my room for 24 hours :(
I really, really want to try Homecoming. DH isn't sold on it yet but he's already put in his restaurant request for our May trip so I think my request just might be Homecoming!

All and all that part of it wasn't bad. Getting home was the toughest part.

Oh, you must do Homecoming! It is my favorite restaurant in WDW now.

I have absolutely loved your trip report thus far! Great pics and descriptions! I am sorry for your travel hiccups but it looks like you made the best of it. I am excited to read the rest of your report.

Thank you so much! :goodvibes

Looks like you two made the best of the situation, great thinking on your part to get some favorite food items before you got back to the resort! I had read the lines for the food at the resorts was awful and the box lunches were nothing special. Glad you got to try Homecoming, we want to try it in August this year when we go. The chicken sandwich and your entree look so delicious!

We arrived the Sunday after Hurricane Matthew and we had beautiful weather are whole stay so we really lucked out! Have you ever watched Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn, so funny!

We definitely did. It was insane at SSR. I can only imagine what some of the other resorts looked like. Very thankful to not have to eat a boxed lunch.

You have to do Homecoming! It's amazing!

You hit the weather just right. It was great after the hurricane. Overboard is one of my favorites! I used to watch it on repeat as a kid.

I was watching the news reports of people waiting in line for food being all 'apocalyptic' and generally terrible. I wondered if Disney kept you all well informed that week? Do you think it was poor planning on the guests for not preparing in advance or do you think Disney downplayed the possibility of things being closed or out of service?

I just kept thinking that if I was there that week, I would've been like, stashing food away here and there. Or at least making sure I had the basics just in case (wine and cupcakes!).

Disney left message on our resort phone with various updates, but I think the food issue was partially the guests' fault for not being better prepared and partially Disney's fault for not having more food options available. It was a tough situation because I know their main concern was keeping their guests and cast members safe, so I'm sure they did the best they could. The day the parks closed early was a total shock to be honest. I had a feeling they would be closed the next day, but the early day surprised me a bit. I think it's so hard to really be informed there because you're so wrapped up in other things. I did not anticipate Disney Springs being closed at all. It was an odd situation to be a part of.

Sorry you had to get stuck but glad you got another 2 days at WDW

To be sure. We tried to make the most of it!

Sounds like you lucked out as best you can in that situation! I was very interested as to how everyone was going to manage with the storm.

I hope your 2 bonus days were worth the Vacation Days!

We definitely did. At least everyone was safe, so that was the biggest relief.

Well, yes and no to be honest. It was fun sometimes and other times were stressful. A bit of a mixed bag.

Just started reading - all of the food looks phenomenal! Sorry about that crazy weather - I hope the rest of your trip goes well!

Thank you so much for joining in!

I can't think of a better place to be cooped up at and with all those yummy treats! Great thinking! Homecoming looks a-m-A-zing!! I'm not sure what I want more, those cocktails or fried chicken! Both please!!!

So very true!

Oh, definitely both. Too hard to choose!

You got there the day after I left. I really wanted to see David Cook but it was a vacation all about Sugar Ray for me :).

I want to see Sugar Ray there so badly! I love them!

I'm all caught up. The chicken and donuts from homecoming looked delish!

They are amazing! And the potatoes are the best!

I'm so happy to see a review for Homecoming. I keep eyeing it but hadn't seen too much about it yet

I have more from Homecoming coming up! My January trip solidified it as my favorite restaurant in WDW!

So nice to get the story behind the report title! I had assumed you maybe over indulged in some of his wine that was available in one of the booths. I can't even imagine the stress. I mean in the abstract, being stuck in WDW sounds like a great problem to have but with real life commitments it is stressful. How smart were you with the food gathering! I remember seeing various posts of lobby & food court madness. Glad you were able to hunker down and had the 1-bedroom villa in which to do it!!!

Looking forward to hearing about your current adventure!

It was definitely stressful at times. I was definitely crying on the bus after we got the call about our train being canceled. You are absolutely right. While I will always take as many days in Disney as I can get, it really messed with our money and some work situations. We were pretty stressed out.

It was great to have the 1 bedroom villa to spread out and do our own thing while we were stuck inside. If that happened while we were staying at a mod resort I might have lost my mind. :laughing:

Our January trip was AMAZING! Can't wait to start that report.

Following your latest adventure on IG, looks like the weather is better on this trip!
Glad you made it through the hurricane ok and you got 2 bonus days!

So much better! Our weather was fabulous the entire time. I think we will make January our go-to time of year to visit from now on.

Omg... that chicken and donuts looks amazing!! We just got back and I'm so sad we didn't get there on this trip. I'm dying to try it.

How crazy that you were there during the hurricane :O But so smart of you to get some provisions for in the room, those bacon/cheese rolls from Les Halles are the best.

Too bad!You definitely have to make a stop at Homecoming on your next trip.

It was a crazy time. Definitely a trip we will always remember!

I've hated mustard since I was a small child. I could tell instantly if something contained it. I found out in college that I was allergic to to mustard. My body's way of telling me to stay away from it.

This was one of my favorite drinks and I didn't try it until almost the last day. We went back on our last day and it was a massive thunderstorm and didn't get to have another glass. Hoping they have it again this year.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like it! People act like I'm crazy when I say that. I don't get it. :confused3

That cider was so good! I tried to find it in Publix when we just went in January, but no luck. I am dying to have it again.

The next day we were packed up and out of the room early to switch resorts. We should have been leaving to catch our train, but now we had two extra days in Disney. I tried to shake off my stress and enjoy the day. We walked over to the main building with our bags and dropped them off with Bell Services who would then send them over to OKW for us. We did this so we could get out and start our day and go to MK. Our one other day in MK was a bust, so we wanted to make the most of our extra day there.

And boy did we ever make the most of it! People who cancelled trips must have cancelled FastPasses because I snagged one for SDMT. Woot woot!

We did tons of rides and even got stuck on the People Mover for quite awhile, which was fun.

Our only food we got there that day was a Citrus Swirl from Sunshine Tree Terrace.

I love the Orange Bird!

This was super refreshing and yummy. I love these!

I also got my only 45th anniversary souvenir of the trip.

After a really fun morning/early afternoon in MK we took the bus to SSR and walked to Disney Springs for a late lunch.

It's so crazy that Paddlefish looked like this just a few months ago and now it's finished.

It was a beautiful day at the Springs.

We decided to go back to our new favorite restaurant. Homecoming!

We were seated right away at a great seat by the window where we could see the Springs.

We started with drinks. I love the coasters here. Adorable.

So guys, I found my favorite drink in the world. It's called The Local. I'm in love.

This drink is so light and refreshing. It is the best drink EVER!

Rob got the Moonshine Mash. Watermelon infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup.

This was really good too.

For our entrees we both got the chopped pork barbecue plate dressed with HFK sweet and spicy barbecue sauce served with Momma's mac and cheese and cheddar drop biscuits.

You don't even know how good this was!!! OMG!!! Loved the pork, loved the sauce, loved the slaw, and there are no words for that mac and cheese. It's the best I've ever had. It's hard for me to get anything but this when I come here. Rob loved it too.

And our server was super sweet and attentive. She was awesome!

This meal was incredible. It is my favorite restaurant in WDW now. The drinks are beyond amazing and the food is delicious. And the service is great too!

Now we're off to the movies!

After seeing Masterminds at AMC we decided to do a double feature and see Deepwater Horizon, but we had a little time to kill, so we went back to Homecoming for more drinks!

The closed in patio bar is a great spot to grab a tasty beverage.

I got another Local and Rob got an Old Fashioned Elder.

Cheers!

Then we both got Bootleggers to go.

More beautiful sights around the Springs.

After the second movie we went back to Sprinkles with another buy one get one free receipt and got two more cupcakes.

Good life decisions!

We took the bus to OKW so that we could get our bags and finally check into our room.

They gave us a room relatively close to the main building, which is what I requested, so that was nice. We were on the third floor. Of what area, I have no clue. My mind was lost at this point with the stress of everything and the later hour. Once we drug our bags up to the third floor and got settled into the room we decided we were kinda hungry. We didn't want to go back to Disney Springs again, so we walked over to check out their quick service location. The other time we stayed here we ate at Olivia's once, but we didn't know what the quick service had to offer.

It was somewhat odd that the location was so small with no seating and essentially outside, but the menu looked decent, so we decided to order and take food back to the room and relax.

I got a cheeseburger and fries.

I weirdly love Disney's quick service burgers. This one was no exception. It was super tasty and hit the spot.

Rob got the Taylor Turkey Sandwich which was house-roasted turkey served on a ciabatta bread with basil pesto mayonnaise and chips.

Hard to see with all the chips in the way, but you get the idea. Rob enjoyed his dinner as well.

Despite the stress of no train today and switching resorts, this was one of my favorite days of the trip. We had a great MK day and saw two movies and had a great meal at Homecoming. Not too shabby.

Oh my wow!! Homecoming looks amazing!! I have not been to Disney Springs yet, only DT Disney, which is hard to believe. However those cocktails look like they are worth the trip there.

We took the bus to OKW so that we could get our bags and finally check into our room.

They gave us a room relatively close to the main building, which is what I requested, so that was nice. We were on the third floor. Of what area, I have no clue. My mind was lost at this point with the stress of everything and the later hour. Once we drug our bags up to the third floor and got settled into the room we decided we were kinda hungry. We didn't want to go back to Disney Springs again, so we walked over to check out their quick service location. The other time we stayed here we ate at Olivia's once, but we didn't know what the quick service had to offer.

It was somewhat odd that the location was so small with no seating and essentially outside, but the menu looked decent, so we decided to order and take food back to the room and relax.

I got a cheeseburger and fries.

I weirdly love Disney's quick service burgers. This one was no exception. It was super tasty and hit the spot.

Rob got the Taylor Turkey Sandwich which was house-roasted turkey served on a ciabatta bread with basil pesto mayonnaise and chips.

Hard to see with all the chips in the way, but you get the idea. Rob enjoyed his dinner as well.

Despite the stress of no train today and switching resorts, this was one of my favorite days of the trip. We had a great MK day and saw two movies and had a great meal at Homecoming. Not too shabby.

I am a Disney chip addict. I admit it.

The Local looks AMAZING. Do you know if you can you get drinks to go at Homecoming or do you have to have eaten there or had an ADR?

The Local looks AMAZING. Do you know if you can you get drinks to go at Homecoming or do you have to have eaten there or had an ADR?

I'm not Jeri but I do know that you can definitely just walk up to the bar and get a drink to go. We have done it several times and it's definitely worth it :thumbsup2 Jeri's pictures are great showing the screen porch bar area - if you are looking at the front entrance go to your left and through the screen porch entrance, there's a walk up bar area. You can also order dessert to go from the bartenders there... that shine cake is definitely worth taking one with you!

Looks like you all really made the most of your extra disney day. Total coup getting mine train fast passes!!!

Glad to see you all enjoyed homecoming. We tried it on our latest trip too and it did not disappoint. The drinks, the food, the decor, all perfection!!!! We didn't have the pork though, so I'll have to add that to the list for next time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter