How To Survive a Hurricane with Pizza and Kurt Russell- An Oct DR *Complete

I'm not Jeri but I do know that you can definitely just walk up to the bar and get a drink to go. We have done it several times and it's definitely worth it :thumbsup2 Jeri's pictures are great showing the screen porch bar area - if you are looking at the front entrance go to your left and through the screen porch entrance, there's a walk up bar area. You can also order dessert to go from the bartenders there... that shine cake is definitely worth taking one with you!

Thank you!!! GREAT idea about getting dessert to go, too!

Oh my wow!! Homecoming looks amazing!! I have not been to Disney Springs yet, only DT Disney, which is hard to believe. However those cocktails look like they are worth the trip there.

What?!?! Lori you need to rectify that situation! :laughing: I would say that you should put Homecoming at the top of your list for the next trip. The cocktails are the best I have ever had. Anywhere. They are so unique.

I am a Disney chip addict. I admit it.

Right! They are super tasty.

The Local looks AMAZING. Do you know if you can you get drinks to go at Homecoming or do you have to have eaten there or had an ADR?

I'm not Jeri but I do know that you can definitely just walk up to the bar and get a drink to go. We have done it several times and it's definitely worth it :thumbsup2 Jeri's pictures are great showing the screen porch bar area - if you are looking at the front entrance go to your left and through the screen porch entrance, there's a walk up bar area. You can also order dessert to go from the bartenders there... that shine cake is definitely worth taking one with you!

Thanks for the assist! :thumbsup2 She is absolutely right. They have a great bar and to go cups for the drinks that is separate from the restaurant. A few times I even saw them outside with a little cart offering a few select beverages without even needing to walk up to the bar. Not sure how often they do that part, but the patio bar is perfect for grabbing a quick drink.

Looks like you all really made the most of your extra disney day. Total coup getting mine train fast passes!!!

Glad to see you all enjoyed homecoming. We tried it on our latest trip too and it did not disappoint. The drinks, the food, the decor, all perfection!!!! We didn't have the pork though, so I'll have to add that to the list for next time

Most definitely! I was glad we had a nice MK day this day. I needed a boost.

Everything at Homecoming is fabulous. I love everything about it. Glad you liked it too!

The next morning we were up and ready to make the most of our last full day at WDW! Good morning from OKW!

We were not anticipating being in WDW on NFL Sunday, but fortunately we were prepared and happened to have Eagles jerseys with us. Go Birds!

We hopped on a bus to Epcot and got in there and enjoyed a few rides as well as breakfast at Sunshine Seasons.

Rob got one of his SS favorites, the breakfast panini. Always a winner.

And I got my favorite, a cheese danish!

Yum!!!!!

We were going to try our luck and see if we could get into ESPN Club to watch the Eagles game, but I knew I didn't want a lot to eat there, so I loaded up on a few F&W yummies beforehand.

First up was the Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Puree.

This is always a favorite of mine and it was this time as well. The steak is fabulous.

Next was a double dose of yum from Mexico. The Barbacoa Enchilada and the Taco de Camaron.

:cool1::cool1::cool1: Two winners! I already knew I loved the shrimp, but the enchilada was amazing! I loved the crispy onions on the top. Totally made the dish. Mexico always has the best booth at every festival in my opinion. Not to be missed!

Nooooooo I don't want your report to end!

Hooray for more Epcot and f&w! For some reason I thought sunshine seasons stopped breakfast but we will have to be sure and stop in for ourselves next time. How can you go wrong with beef in chimichurri and Mexico booth deliciousness? Sounds wonderful and like a great toast farewell to me!

We got to ESPN Club right around noon and there was a line out the door, which we were anticipating. Fortunately it moved pretty quickly and we got a seat right away. And it was a prefect seat! Right in front of the giant screen in the large room. Eagles were on the big screen this week!

If you have never been there for NFL Sunday, they have some guys there doing a live show and its pretty fun. Rob answered some trivia type questions and he was on the big screen, so that was pretty cool.

Since we were going to be there for four hours I wanted to spread out our orders a bit, but thankfully the servers a pretty cool about it and don't make you feel bad for taking up a table the whole time. We always tip them well here on NFL Sunday.

They had bottles of McKenzie's black cherry hard cider, which we enjoyed at F&G last year, so I ordered a bottle.

Rob got a pitcher of beer. Then later another pitcher of beer. :drinking1:drinking1:drinking1He claims he felt bad that we weren't ordering much food. Mmmmm hmmmm.

For lunch Rob ordered his favorite, the pulled pork grilled cheese. Yum!

I got my fav here. The Pub Nachos with no jalapeños.

These were really tasty and perfect to pick at throughout the game.

Well, the Eagles lost in a total heartbreaker in the final minutes. We were bummed and as I mentioned previously, Rob had two pitchers of beer, so it was time to call it a day. We went back to the resort and took a nap and watched tv. I tried to get him to go to the pool, but he wasn't feeling it, so we just chilled in the room. Eventually we decided on another dinner at Good's Food To Go and so we went down and both grabbed cheeseburgers.

There was a drunk guy and his wife/girlfriend? in front of us and he was being really nasty to her and getting loud and it was awkward. I felt bad for her and the CM behind the register.

We took our burgers back to the room and watched Carrie on tv in our pjs and started to pack up what we could to get out and do something before our train in the morning. Final Disney night blues. :sad1:

Nooooooo I don't want your report to end!

Hooray for more Epcot and f&w! For some reason I thought sunshine seasons stopped breakfast but we will have to be sure and stop in for ourselves next time. How can you go wrong with beef in chimichurri and Mexico booth deliciousness? Sounds wonderful and like a great toast farewell to me!

Well, fortunately I will be starting another DR right behind this one from our January trip!

I think Sunshine Seasons did recently stop breakfast. When we were there last month all we saw were baked goods, but I could be mistaken since we were laser focused in on them this time.

Oh the final day. We had no idea what was in store for us. Ugh, I am actually sick to my stomach writing this post as I think back on this day.

We got up early and finished packing our bags. Then we dropped them off at bell services and tried to figure out what to do for our final morning. Our train wasn't scheduled to leave until about 4pm and the car service was picking us up around 2pm, so we had some time to kill. We seriously couldn't decide what to do, so we finally decided that whatever the next bus was, that's where we were going. A bus headed to HS pulled up, so we hopped on it. On our way there I checked FPs and nothing was available that we would want at that time, so once we got off the bus we decided to walk over to YC for breakfast. It was a beautiful morning and a great temperature, so why not! I made a reservation on the way Captain's Grille here we come!

We were seated right away and given menus, but we knew we wanted the buffet. The drink menu was intriguing, but there is no way I am paying $10 for a mimosa. I can get them for $3 at brunch spots at home. Can't do it.

All I remember looking back on this is that I didn't like it as much as I did in March. Not as many selections I think. It's all a blur now. But here is Rob's first plate.

And my very similar plate.

And here is another plate. I think it was my second plate, but I am not even sure looking back on it.

So, this is why this trip and this meal has a dark cloud over it. We are sitting there eating, trying to figure out where to go from here and just for the heck of it I check the status of our train. And I see this.

I don't like the look of this. There was this type of advisory on the website when it was cancelled on Saturday, so what is this all about.

We are the Silver Star train. I think I very dramatically dropped my fork on my plate at this point and almost threw up. I couldn't believe it. I could barely even get the words out to Rob. I said, "I think our train is cancelled again." He went pale too. So, I called and sure enough it was cancelled until Wednesday, getting us home Thursday, getting us to work Friday. No way. I can't pay for two more days and miss two more days of work. Can't do it. We quickly get our check and rush out of there. The people next to us heard our conversation and sweetly empathized and wished us good luck. We walked all the way back to HS and took a bus back to OKW and started making phone calls.

I booked a rental car from the big Alamo center by MK and arranged to have a shuttle pick us up from OKW. I honestly just wanted to take a taxi there and get on the move, but we sat there and waited while I made other phone calls. I cancelled our town car service who were incredibly rude and unwilling to not charge us for the entire service despite the fact that a natural disaster is causing us to cancel. I won't go into it, but they were awful and I disputed it on my credit card and got my money back, but I was enraged with them especially after the horrible service when they picked us up from the train station on the way in and the stress of everything else going on I was not happy to pay $75 for nothing when we already have money flowing from our wallets thanks to this train situation. And I was also pretty unhappy with Amtrak for not making us aware of the situation like they did the first time. I was signed up for all kinds of travel alerts, but we got nothing. That drive is hard enough when you're prepared, but to make that drive totally unprepared was so much more difficult. Had we known the day before that we would have to drive it would have been totally different.

We got to Alamo and shelled out another $250 to rent a car back to Jersey and by 2:00pm we were on the road. What I did not expect this trip was to have to drive back to Jersey. We were honestly numb.

We stopped somewhere around Jacksonville and got enough Chick-Fil-A to not have to stop for food again for the day and continued on home. We kept seeing trucks for the power company on the road all day. Tons of them. There were so many people without power along the 95 corridor.

We were actually making amazing time and we were hoping to make it back home by 3am. Then we got another whammy.

We were in our Disney bubble and had no clue how bad things were in the Carolinas from the hurricane. A few miles before we got into North Carolina we see a sign on the side of the road saying 95 N closed in NC. Ummmm, say what now? We stopped at a gas station to fill up and thank God we did. It was a crazy madhouse because apparently it was the only place around with power and gas, but thanks to Rob's clever skills we got in and out of there and back on the road. We got a few miles into NC, but 95 wasn't closed, so I was hoping that maybe things were good now and the sign was outdated. Then I realized that we never saw South of the Border. If you have ever driven past that at night you know there is no way to miss it. They had no power either. Crazy.

Then all of a sudden around exit 14, 95 was closed and we were routed off the road and onto some road where we had no idea where we were. I hate being lost. It terrifies me. Like, truly terrifies me to my core. I won't drive anywhere I don't know without studying Google Maps ahead of time and have detailed directions. It was dark out and you can tell all the other cars around us are panicking too. There are tons of people pulled over on the side of the road. I tried to get Rob to turn around and go back into SC and find a hotel, but he wanted to keep on, so we did.

So, I was not expecting to be in a car, so I had no car charger for our phones, which we had been on all day. We had about half the battery life left on our phones which we now had to use to navigate. We do not do well navigating together under normal circumstances let alone whatever nightmare this was. Folks, I cannot tell you how scared I was. Some of you may handle these situations well, but I do not. I was shaking, like shaking, shaking so badly at this point. We would go down a road our maps app would tell us and the road would be flooded, so we would turn around and reroute. Then it would happen again and again and again. We ended up going so far west in NC before we could go north and we had no clue where we were and I had no clue if our phones would last long enough to get us back to 95. So many people were in the same situation as well. It was good to have a lot of other cars around us at times. This went on for hours and hours. Our phones BARELY made it to get us back to a point we knew. That alone had me in a blind panic the entire time. When we got back on 95 about 5 or 6 hours later (I lost all track of time and what had happened) we stopped for gas and to use the restroom and I realized I had sweat through my shirt and shorts. I had never been so thankful to see 95 in my whole life. And poor Rob was driving this whole time in a panic himself trying to calm his hysterical wife. I sat in that gas station bathroom and wept. Well, we knew where we were, which I was thankful for, but we lost hours and now it was incredibly late and we would be getting home in daylight. Again, I tried to get Rob to stop at a hotel, but he wanted to keep going. I was so tired that I drove for 45 minutes and almost drove us off the rode and had to stop at a rest area where we napped for about an hour.

Rob took over driving again and somehow we made it home after the sun came up. We didn't even speak a word, we just sent texts to our parents saying we were home safe and got into bed and slept until late afternoon.

AND STILL I CAN'T GET ROB ON A PLANE TO FLORIDA!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What a mess. I don't know how well I was able to convey it, but that drive through NC was literally a nightmare. I have never been so nervous in my whole life. It left a bad taste in our mouths and really put a cloud over the whole trip. I know it shouldn't, but it did. It was bad enough that Amtrak didn't tell us about the train and we found out on our own the morning of and then had to spend more money and actually drive up he east coast unexpectedly, but then to have a closed major highway in the middle of the night when we're already exhausted was the icing on the cake. I felt so bad for the people in NC too. To see the flooding first hand was so scary.

Well, I know that was a real bummer of an ending to my DR. Sorry guys! But I'll make it up to you. To wipe away the bad memories of this trip we booked another trip for January. We decided to live it up and go for two weeks and do it all! So, we just got back a couple of weeks ago and our trip was AMAZING!!! No travel troubles just lots of good food. And the first ever Festival of the Arts which was so fun! So, I'll be back shortly to start my next DR. See you soon! And thank you all for reading. You guys are the best!!!!

Oh.My.Gosh. I just cannot imagine going through all that. I hate being lost too! It's so scary. I'm not one of those "fly by the seat of your pants" people. I would be beside myself as well.

Did Amtrak ever reimburse you for the return portion of your ticket?

On a positive note, I enjoyed following your January trip on Insta! Glad it was a much better trip for you :)

:worried: O I could feel your stress just reading that! I am so sorry for what yall went through! I am glad your last trip was so wonderful....I know your instagram pics always make me jealous! haha looked like lots of great time!

I think I just sweat through my clothes reading that. O.M.G. I am the SAME way, and I freak out when I don't have some sort of navigation. Justin can keep his cool a lot better than I can, but when things like that happen, I want to curl up in a ball and sleep and wake up when it's all better, lol. Crazy that he still won't fly!! If this doesn't get him to fly I don't know what will! I would have been livid with the train situation - did you ever find out why you didn't get an alert?! That's ridiculous. I'm glad you got your money back from the town car though.. wow, how crappy. Well at least it's all behind you and you had a fabulous January trip!

We drive from NC and my husband likes to leave around noon so we're home at a decent time, but I convinced him to do Homecoming for lunch on our last day. A week from today and I literally cannot wait!!

Not sure how I missed this review! We were there at the exact same time. Love all of your Food & Wine pics! Our trip also ended in a hot hurricane mess but luckily we were going home to the Midwest and not back up the East coast. Hopefully all of your upcoming trips are much less stressful :). We're headed back in March and October for do-overs. Looking forward to the F&G Festival - I swear the food offerings look just as good as F&W!

Oh the final day. We had no idea what was in store for us. Ugh, I am actually sick to my stomach writing this post as I think back on this day.

We got up early and finished packing our bags. Then we dropped them off at bell services and tried to figure out what to do for our final morning. Our train wasn't scheduled to leave until about 4pm and the car service was picking us up around 2pm, so we had some time to kill. We seriously couldn't decide what to do, so we finally decided that whatever the next bus was, that's where we were going. A bus headed to HS pulled up, so we hopped on it. On our way there I checked FPs and nothing was available that we would want at that time, so once we got off the bus we decided to walk over to YC for breakfast. It was a beautiful morning and a great temperature, so why not! I made a reservation on the way Captain's Grille here we come!

We were seated right away and given menus, but we knew we wanted the buffet. The drink menu was intriguing, but there is no way I am paying $10 for a mimosa. I can get them for $3 at brunch spots at home. Can't do it.

All I remember looking back on this is that I didn't like it as much as I did in March. Not as many selections I think. It's all a blur now. But here is Rob's first plate.

And my very similar plate.

And here is another plate. I think it was my second plate, but I am not even sure looking back on it.

So, this is why this trip and this meal has a dark cloud over it. We are sitting there eating, trying to figure out where to go from here and just for the heck of it I check the status of our train. And I see this.

I don't like the look of this. There was this type of advisory on the website when it was cancelled on Saturday, so what is this all about.

We are the Silver Star train. I think I very dramatically dropped my fork on my plate at this point and almost threw up. I couldn't believe it. I could barely even get the words out to Rob. I said, "I think our train is cancelled again." He went pale too. So, I called and sure enough it was cancelled until Wednesday, getting us home Thursday, getting us to work Friday. No way. I can't pay for two more days and miss two more days of work. Can't do it. We quickly get our check and rush out of there. The people next to us heard our conversation and sweetly empathized and wished us good luck. We walked all the way back to HS and took a bus back to OKW and started making phone calls.

I booked a rental car from the big Alamo center by MK and arranged to have a shuttle pick us up from OKW. I honestly just wanted to take a taxi there and get on the move, but we sat there and waited while I made other phone calls. I cancelled our town car service who were incredibly rude and unwilling to not charge us for the entire service despite the fact that a natural disaster is causing us to cancel. I won't go into it, but they were awful and I disputed it on my credit card and got my money back, but I was enraged with them especially after the horrible service when they picked us up from the train station on the way in and the stress of everything else going on I was not happy to pay $75 for nothing when we already have money flowing from our wallets thanks to this train situation. And I was also pretty unhappy with Amtrak for not making us aware of the situation like they did the first time. I was signed up for all kinds of travel alerts, but we got nothing. That drive is hard enough when you're prepared, but to make that drive totally unprepared was so much more difficult. Had we known the day before that we would have to drive it would have been totally different.

We got to Alamo and shelled out another $250 to rent a car back to Jersey and by 2:00pm we were on the road. What I did not expect this trip was to have to drive back to Jersey. We were honestly numb.

We stopped somewhere around Jacksonville and got enough Chick-Fil-A to not have to stop for food again for the day and continued on home. We kept seeing trucks for the power company on the road all day. Tons of them. There were so many people without power along the 95 corridor.

We were actually making amazing time and we were hoping to make it back home by 3am. Then we got another whammy.

We were in our Disney bubble and had no clue how bad things were in the Carolinas from the hurricane. A few miles before we got into North Carolina we see a sign on the side of the road saying 95 N closed in NC. Ummmm, say what now? We stopped at a gas station to fill up and thank God we did. It was a crazy madhouse because apparently it was the only place around with power and gas, but thanks to Rob's clever skills we got in and out of there and back on the road. We got a few miles into NC, but 95 wasn't closed, so I was hoping that maybe things were good now and the sign was outdated. Then I realized that we never saw South of the Border. If you have ever driven past that at night you know there is no way to miss it. They had no power either. Crazy.

Then all of a sudden around exit 14, 95 was closed and we were routed off the road and onto some road where we had no idea where we were. I hate being lost. It terrifies me. Like, truly terrifies me to my core. I won't drive anywhere I don't know without studying Google Maps ahead of time and have detailed directions. It was dark out and you can tell all the other cars around us are panicking too. There are tons of people pulled over on the side of the road. I tried to get Rob to turn around and go back into SC and find a hotel, but he wanted to keep on, so we did.

So, I was not expecting to be in a car, so I had no car charger for our phones, which we had been on all day. We had about half the battery life left on our phones which we now had to use to navigate. We do not do well navigating together under normal circumstances let alone whatever nightmare this was. Folks, I cannot tell you how scared I was. Some of you may handle these situations well, but I do not. I was shaking, like shaking, shaking so badly at this point. We would go down a road our maps app would tell us and the road would be flooded, so we would turn around and reroute. Then it would happen again and again and again. We ended up going so far west in NC before we could go north and we had no clue where we were and I had no clue if our phones would last long enough to get us back to 95. So many people were in the same situation as well. It was good to have a lot of other cars around us at times. This went on for hours and hours. Our phones BARELY made it to get us back to a point we knew. That alone had me in a blind panic the entire time. When we got back on 95 about 5 or 6 hours later (I lost all track of time and what had happened) we stopped for gas and to use the restroom and I realized I had sweat through my shirt and shorts. I had never been so thankful to see 95 in my whole life. And poor Rob was driving this whole time in a panic himself trying to calm his hysterical wife. I sat in that gas station bathroom and wept. Well, we knew where we were, which I was thankful for, but we lost hours and now it was incredibly late and we would be getting home in daylight. Again, I tried to get Rob to stop at a hotel, but he wanted to keep going. I was so tired that I drove for 45 minutes and almost drove us off the rode and had to stop at a rest area where we napped for about an hour.

Rob took over driving again and somehow we made it home after the sun came up. We didn't even speak a word, we just sent texts to our parents saying we were home safe and got into bed and slept until late afternoon.

AND STILL I CAN'T GET ROB ON A PLANE TO FLORIDA!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What a mess. I don't know how well I was able to convey it, but that drive through NC was literally a nightmare. I have never been so nervous in my whole life. It left a bad taste in our mouths and really put a cloud over the whole trip. I know it shouldn't, but it did. It was bad enough that Amtrak didn't tell us about the train and we found out on our own the morning of and then had to spend more money and actually drive up he east coast unexpectedly, but then to have a closed major highway in the middle of the night when we're already exhausted was the icing on the cake. I felt so bad for the people in NC too. To see the flooding first hand was so scary.

Well, I know that was a real bummer of an ending to my DR. Sorry guys! But I'll make it up to you. To wipe away the bad memories of this trip we booked another trip for January. We decided to live it up and go for two weeks and do it all! So, we just got back a couple of weeks ago and our trip was AMAZING!!! No travel troubles just lots of good food. And the first ever Festival of the Arts which was so fun! So, I'll be back shortly to start my next DR. See you soon! And thank you all for reading. You guys are the best!!!!
I'm so sorry u guys went through that for hours!!!! Om Gosh!! That is so scary!! I'm glas u shared it though b/c it might help someone else in the same situation when they travel. Besides that ur guys trip sounded amazing. are you doing another DR!?? Love them, I hope!!

Last edited:
Omg I had anxiety reading this so I can't imagine what you were going through! Such a bummer that a great trip ended this way, but you're home safe! Looking forward to the next DR!

Oh my - that is not the way to end a trip! I can't believe Rob still won't fly??

I just went to Homecoming this past weekend and it was everything you described and more!! So delicious. Amazing how Disney Springs has really transformed.

Can't wait to hear about your January trip!!!

Oh my gosh, what an ordeal! I would have been sweating/stressing/freaking out right along with you in a major way. So glad you made it home safely and also that you had a great trip in January to wash away those bad memories :)

Late to the party, but as always, great dining report!!! I'm so sorry your trip ended so badly. I would have probably reacted the same as you.

Can't wait to hear about your January trip!

Just want to say that I love your trip reports and how you do Disney!!!

Wow, what an experience you had with the trip back home after the hurricane! Sounds horrendous! So glad you made it home safely, though. I was at WDW the following week for Food & Wine and it was beautiful....Was I lucky or what!?

Glad you had a great make-up trip in January, though. Looking forward to your report. I do love January at WDW, too!

Wow, I can't believe all you had to endure just to try and get home. That is ridiculous that Amtrak didn't let you know. I hope you at least got your money back. And I would have been just as terrified as you. Being lost in the middle of no where and coming upon flooding sounds horrendous. Glad you made it home safely and even had it in your to brave another trip

I remember when I was following along on your Instagram when your train kept getting cancelled. I don't blame you for freaking out! No idea why Rob wouldn't fly especially after that. As someone that works in the aerospace industry, I much rather fly than drive anywhere! The amount of testing and checks/balances that goes into the build of the plane is crazy! If you fly with any of the major carriers, they have lots of checks in place as well!

Glad you made it home even if it wasn't the end you wanted!

Wow! Not a very magical ending to your vacation! Very scary. The food and fun before it did look awesome. I also fell in love with Homecoming. I could eat that fried chicken and mac & cheese about now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter