How to start pin trading?

mrsjoannh13

DIS Veteran
Just curious how and where I can find authentic and inexpensive Disney pins to get started trading when my family goes to WDW in November. I see some pins on the Disney store site but they are expensive and I would want to keep vs. trade them. What is a good source for getting several cheaper pins to start trading? I see some pin "lots" on Ebay but skeptical that they are not authentic pins.

Thanks!

I am also wanting to get started in this. Going to start with the Remmie pins af Epcot. You buy the play card for about $8 then get a free pin when youve completed the game.

Im also wondering how trading works. I dont want to trade mine but would like to wear them on a lanyard. From what I understand, people just come up and offer to trade. Id feel awful telling a child no though. Not sure how to go about that.

While your intentions are good, the reality is that by the end of the day 90% of the pins in the parks are scrappers.

I am also wanting to get started in this. Going to start with the Remmie pins af Epcot. You buy the play card for about $8 then get a free pin when youve completed the game.

Im also wondering how trading works. I dont want to trade mine but would like to wear them on a lanyard. From what I understand, people just come up and offer to trade. Id feel awful telling a child no though. Not sure how to go about that.

I read somewhere that you can wear some on your lanyard that you're willing to trade and keep some in a pouch or something. You could also put some on one side of the lanyard that you're willing to trade and the other side are pins you want to keep. That way you can still trade but at the same time keep the pins you like most.

I have never had another guest come up to be and ask to tread pins with me. and I go to disney a lot. I would get some mystery pins and tread what you do not like with a cast member. I think if you buy them on line your chance of them being fake is very high so I would just get them at Disney. Disney dose sell locking pin backs and I would get some if you have pins you really do not want to lose

Honestly, I would go online and buy from the Ebay lots. Whether the pins are "fake" or not, it's incredibly hard to tell, and I don't think that many people care. Anyway, I started by getting a lanyard already filled with pins at Hollywood Studios. I think you can get about 8 pins with a lanyard for something like $30. That's always a great way to start your pin collection! If you are looking for limited edition pins (which is the most fun to me) look for big, colorful pins that you haven't seen before. Ten years ago, you could find all sorts of limited edition pins, but now, people seem to snatch them up quicker. Also, I always enjoy collecting a certain character. When I first started, I collected Stitch and it was so exciting to constantly find new Stitch pins. And last but not least, if you seen a pin that you really like that's in the store, buy it! I have hundreds of pins but some of my favorites are the ones that I bought. Good luck and have fun!

I don't buy the ebay lots, but I know my kids have traded for many scrappers, but don't care. But I prefer to not knowingly purchase them. There are several facebook groups for Disney pin trading where you can find reputable traders who are willing to sell the non-collectibles/traders for cheap. Also, I have bought pins for quite cheap at the Disney outlet store in Orlando. I was shocked at how much my kids loved pin trading-like stalked CM with lanyards, loved it. Even my shy-then four year old was all over it. They didn't trade with other guests really, other than one guest, a young adult who offered it up, which was such a thrill for the kids.

On the pin trading board there is a thread with verified ebay sellers who are selling legitimate pins that may be helpful if you are wanting to avoid scrappers. You can also buy the starter sets, which are good deals for the most part. Mystery sets are good too. Happy trading! We love it, so have fun!

Sometimes they offer a purchase with purchase deal in the Parks. One time we bought each of our daughters a lanyard with 8 pins to trade at World of Disney. It was $20 with a $50 purchase. We split our purchases so they could each get a lanyard.

On the pin trading board there is a thread with verified ebay sellers who are selling legitimate pins that may be helpful if you are wanting to avoid scrappers. You can also buy the starter sets, which are good deals for the most part. Mystery sets are good too. Happy trading! We love it, so have fun!

I can't find the thread with verified eBay sellers. Can someone help?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter