• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to secretly go to WDW for the weekend?

Mandipandi

Earning My Ears
Serious post, posted in tips as seems the most appropriate.

I am a woman in my mid 20s. I will be going to WDW 3-5 of March for the first time. I just want to go to Epcot, ride a few rides, eat,shop, and enjoy a small trip. I had a week long trip planned for this month but had to cancel due to bfs lack of interest, and i didnt have the funds to buy his ticket to entice him to go. My mother and family want to go to WDW but both my siblings are in College and the planning process will take a while.

Now going for the weekend wouldnt be an issue if it werent for my mother. She is rather clingy, always messaging me or asking why I was on facebook in the middle of the night (I am not, fb just shows me as active). Even in my small trip I made somewhere a few months ago, she said she wished she couldve gone with me. She has no hobbies no friends and a failed marriage which causes low self esteem. She wont take initiative to get herself to a better place (divorce, friends), and offloads her marriage issues onto me.

I just want to have a good time and I am an adult who can spend her own money. However if I am to have a good time I will need to hide this weekend trip. How can I do this trip while keeping it on the down low? My bf will know I am going, so I will be safe by checking in with him.

I initially thought you wanted to secretly go and not let your workplace know you went lol. I know someone who did do that and was successful, you just had to be careful not to get tanned accidentally especially if you are from the north and it is in the winter. Just don't post anything on social media, buy souvenirs, take any pictures or answer your phone while you are there and you can do whatever you want. One last thing is to make sure that you are on on Life360 or other family tracking app. I hope you have fun! I always wanted to sneak off myself without my husband or kids!

I have done this way too many times.
The hardest part is finding a quiet place to answer a phone call.
Never fails to give my location away.

I don't have any advice on how to keep it secret, I just want to say how badly I feel for you. As a mom of five kids in their 20s I am very close to I want them to go out and enjoy the world. It's unfortunate that your mother is so clingy. I would suggest just going, have fun, try not to feel guilty because you have nothing to feel guilty for. Maybe this trip will help with some boundaries with your mom.

I have not done this at WDW, but have "hidden" at other places. Key Points:

1. Do not post anything on any social media places
  2. Make sure you do not have any location settings that would show where you are (find my friends)
  3. Do not take calls in places where background can place you where you are (music/people screaming they see Mickey,...)
  4. If any of these people you are avoiding are likely to call you instead of message, come up with a reason to get them to not contact you via calls doing these days, or at least that often
  5. If you come up with a story, based on truth or fiction, know your story details and that your BF knows them as well so you are giving similar/same information
When I was trying to hide myself, I had to make sure that those that follow me on "find my friends" knew that I might have some connectivity issues where I was and then turn in off. I needed to use it due to some family issues of being the person picking others up so they knew when I would be there without me having to call/text all the time so it was unusually not to "find" me. I actually made sure to text a bit and made at least one comment to just one person that I was having internet issues, but that my texts seem to go through.

Funny story, my mother is not super clingy but during the first year of COVID both of us were on LOCK DOWN. Like I only visited her with my family one and we stayed outdoors. When the parks opened up and my kids were remote learning and miserable, we decided to use my points and escape the world for a couple days. It was totally nerve recking bc we had been so isolated, but legit it was one of the best trips we’ve ever had. We told NO ONE, bc frankly it doesnt look good. “No I don’t want to see you but yes I’ll fly on a plane and go to a theme park!”.

We were at the grand Floridian pool when my mom texted me “WHERE ARE YOU? YOURE AT DISNEY ARENT YOU?!”.

She just knew. I hadn’t posted anything, I just didn’t answer her calls and responded with a couple quick texts “driving I’ll call you later” or whatever, I don’t quite remember. It was so funny that I immediately sent her a photo of us enjoying the pool hahaha! No joke there was only one other family at the pool that afternoon. It was like we had the parks to ourselves.

She wasn’t mad, it was funny. And we didn’t get sick as bonus! We were only gone four nights and she knew something was off.

As a mother myself, it makes me a little sad to see that you can’t be honest with her. So not knowing you, and not knowing her, I have to at least suggest you be honest in a kind way. Something like “work has been tough, I just need some alone time”. I know my mom would be happy I was honest, and I would be happy my daughter told me the truth. You can even sweeten the deal by bringing her back some goodies :)

If you really feel you can’t be honest, try not to lie. You can just say you’ll be really busy or you’re running around all weekend which isn’t REALLY a lie. I sure hope you can be honest with her. It sounds like it would be an opportunity to build some boundaries for both of you.

I initially thought you wanted to secretly go and not let your workplace know you went lol. I know someone who did do that and was successful, you just had to be careful not to get tanned accidentally especially if you are from the north and it is in the winter. Just don't post anything on social media, buy souvenirs, take any pictures or answer your phone while you are there and you can do whatever you want. One last thing is to make sure that you are on on Life360 or other family tracking app. I hope you have fun! I always wanted to sneak off myself without my husband or kids!
My family is 2,600 mi away so I can buy souvenirs, just hide them when she comes over lol

I have done this way too many times.
The hardest part is finding a quiet place to answer a phone call.
Never fails to give my location away.

If I need to talk to her, I will do it in my hotel room (at Port Orleans-FQ). So it wont be outside as i never call her outside

Hi. Clingy Mom here. Call your mother. Tell her you want to go on a solo trip, and you love her, and that you’ll call her every day. Then call her every day. Otherwise, she’ll think your boyfriend murdered you.

Crazy enough, she doesnt need a call every day! I typically call every other week, but text almost everyday. I plan on my birthday (week before trip) to have a phone call then to satisfy her so she doesnt ask to do so later when I am on my trip.

Funny story, my mother is not super clingy but during the first year of COVID both of us were on LOCK DOWN. Like I only visited her with my family one and we stayed outdoors. When the parks opened up and my kids were remote learning and miserable, we decided to use my points and escape the world for a couple days. It was totally nerve recking bc we had been so isolated, but legit it was one of the best trips we’ve ever had. We told NO ONE, bc frankly it doesnt look good. “No I don’t want to see you but yes I’ll fly on a plane and go to a theme park!”.

We were at the grand Floridian pool when my mom texted me “WHERE ARE YOU? YOURE AT DISNEY ARENT YOU?!”.

She just knew. I hadn’t posted anything, I just didn’t answer her calls and responded with a couple quick texts “driving I’ll call you later” or whatever, I don’t quite remember. It was so funny that I immediately sent her a photo of us enjoying the pool hahaha! No joke there was only one other family at the pool that afternoon. It was like we had the parks to ourselves.

She wasn’t mad, it was funny. And we didn’t get sick as bonus! We were only gone four nights and she knew something was off.

As a mother myself, it makes me a little sad to see that you can’t be honest with her. So not knowing you, and not knowing her, I have to at least suggest you be honest in a kind way. Something like “work has been tough, I just need some alone time”. I know my mom would be happy I was honest, and I would be happy my daughter told me the truth. You can even sweeten the deal by bringing her back some goodies :)

If you really feel you can’t be honest, try not to lie. You can just say you’ll be really busy or you’re running around all weekend which isn’t REALLY a lie. I sure hope you can be honest with her. It sounds like it would be an opportunity to build some boundaries for both of you.

Thank you for your story :) . I plan on not outright lying. For example if she sends me her infamous "What u doing?" messages on the saturday im in Epcot, I will tell her I am out an about shopping. This isnt a lie as a large reason im going to epcot is to shop. Thank you for your advice. I hope too one day I can do whatever I want without the guilt trips :)

Thank you for your story :) . I plan on not outright lying. For example if she sends me her infamous "What u doing?" messages on the saturday im in Epcot, I will tell her I am out an about shopping. This isnt a lie as a large reason im going to epcot is to shop. Thank you for your advice. I hope too one day I can do whatever I want without the guilt trips :)
Guilt trips are mother’s God-given right.
Now go call your mother and tell her you love her.

Maybe you can make a reasonable compromise. Would your mom enjoy getting text messages with pictures of what you’re doing at Disney World (especially if you’re open to a family trip at a later date)? You could “scout out” things you might be interested in doing together next time.

My DH and I went during the pandemic and told my adult son and best friend only, never posted anything. My parents and sibling and job never were the wiser. Keep your safety net folks informed and have fun. Busy is busy and shopping is shopping. 🤳🏾

Serious post, posted in tips as seems the most appropriate.

I am a woman in my mid 20s. I will be going to WDW 3-5 of March for the first time. I just want to go to Epcot, ride a few rides, eat,shop, and enjoy a small trip. I had a week long trip planned for this month but had to cancel due to bfs lack of interest, and i didnt have the funds to buy his ticket to entice him to go. My mother and family want to go to WDW but both my siblings are in College and the planning process will take a while.

Now going for the weekend wouldnt be an issue if it werent for my mother. She is rather clingy, always messaging me or asking why I was on facebook in the middle of the night (I am not, fb just shows me as active). Even in my small trip I made somewhere a few months ago, she said she wished she couldve gone with me. She has no hobbies no friends and a failed marriage which causes low self esteem. She wont take initiative to get herself to a better place (divorce, friends), and offloads her marriage issues onto me.

I just want to have a good time and I am an adult who can spend her own money. However if I am to have a good time I will need to hide this weekend trip. How can I do this trip while keeping it on the down low? My bf will know I am going, so I will be safe by checking in with him.
It sounds like you know exactly what to do. Go & lie about it.

My DH and I went during the pandemic and told my adult son and best friend only, never posted anything. My parents and sibling and job never were the wiser. Keep your safety net folks informed and have fun. Busy is busy and shopping is shopping. 🤳🏾
I work at one of those places that starts dept & all-staff meeting w/ an "icebreaker". It is usally a question that asks for personal information & I rarely answer honestly. I tell them what they want to hear or am so vague it doesn't matter. I could go to Europe over the weekend & if anyone asks if I did anything interesting, the answer would be "not much - how about you?" I don't post my life & have no personal items at work. Maybe I have privacy issues, but I prefer keeping my work & private lives separate. I'm not in the office - that's all they need to know. <shrug>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter