• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to preserve the magic as kids get older?

We have gone countless times, and the kids still enjoy the magic. Of course, since I believe Mickey is real, it doesn't hurt the cause. A few times, when DW and I have gone alone, we got resentment from the kids, telling us that disney was a "family" vacation. On our most recent trip, DD, who no longer lives with us, was insulted that she wasn't included in the planning. Of course, the surprise was that she was included.

I'm almost 33, Dh is 38 and we both agree with you 100%! Hubby never even went to WDW until he was 35 and I still remembering him rushing to get his picture with Stitch! I think he almost beleived he was real :)
My husband didn't go until he was 31. His mom was never able to take him when he was a kid, and as an adult he had no interest in going until we finally had a child. He thought he was going to hate it, but he LOVED it! He said it was one of the best vacations he ever took. He especially loved meeting all the characters and getting pictures with them. Now that is Disney magic!

I don't think my daughters (7 and 4) think the characters in suits are the real ones from books but they LOVE meeting, "the big stuffed animals!" This trip will be the first time they have ever seen face characters so I'm not sure what they will make of that...

Don't stress yourself out trying to make it magical. Any kid who has the opportunity to go to Disney World has a magical life :)

My grandmunchkins know that Mickey and the other costumed characters are not 'real', but they love them, want to hug them and have their pictures taken with them. On our last trip meeting Russell and Dug were extra magical! My younger grandmunchkin is already planning his visits with Mickey! Grandma brings him to see Mickey in each park, while big brother rides rides with mommy. (He is 8, and the size of most 5 year olds)

Has your daughter done BBB yet? I think that would be magical. If you schedule Cinderellas Royal Table after she has her makeover that would really be extra magical!!

Also, the mini castle cakes are beautiful. You could get one delivered during a meal. I'm sorry, I'm not sure which restaurants they deliver them too now, but that or a slipper dessert would be a wonderful surprise!

Do they still do girl pirate makeovers? Maybe if she's not interested in being a princess a pirate makeover and one of the pirate cruises would be fun!!!

I'm sure you will get other wonderful ideas!

The awe when they are really little and it's all real to them is magical - but really - it's just as awesomely magically for older kids and adults, too. Sure - we all know that it's people in costumes - but we get to play and act like it's real. That acting like you are really meeting Mickey or Pluto is just plain fun - even for adults. It's a little reminder of our childhood fantasies. I met Ariel for the first time my last trip - and she did a great job holding a conversation with me about my missing beau - making sure that he was really the right man for me even though he couldn't be there that day. It was fun.

Some kids "outgrow" characters for awhile - others don't. You won't know until you go. But then the rides are a bigger deal. Or the fun food. Or the game room at the resort. Or the resort pool. Or whatever it is that ends up making the place special for your family. Most kids just love being on vacation! So - it's still magical.

My middle one will be 28 in August and still loves Belle & Ariel. We wait in long lines for pictures and autographs, and we go often ;) She already is planning what outfits to wear for her July trip pictures. She wants to match the princesses as close as possible in every day clothing lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter