How to maximize the DDP. 4 separate rooms!

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
This may be hard to follow but I know there are some really knowledgeable people here so....We are bringing our 4 adult children and their significant others to WDW in March, staying in 4 studio rooms at OKW. We have 'Ohana, Raglan Road and Sci-Fi booked for our 6 night stay. I figured out our oop costs for food and it came to $2665. That is the 3 TS meals (average priced entrees and shared desserts), CS meals for the rest (averaging $17 per meal) and one snack per person per day. I then figured out the cost if I added the DXDDP to one room with 2 people and the price is $2592 for the plan in one room, all needed cs and snacks. We would split the credits to pay for all TS meals. We would also get appetizers and desserts without sharing and the 2 mugs would be a bonus. I planned on buying 4 anyway. If we book the deluxe we will have 4 extra TS credits. Either DH and I will eat TS a few extra times or maybe I'll send two of the couples on Date Nights (the others are single siblings, they won't mind). So, I'm pretty sure adding the Dx plan to that one room is smart but am I missing a way to maximize my flexibility with the 3 other rooms? Would adding QSDDP to any room be a savings do you think?

Keep in mind that someone staying in the ONE room with the DxDP must be there to pay for every meal.

Are the 10 of you going to be marching in lockstep the whole stay, including to all QS meals? The two couples will not be able to pay for meals on date nights unless one of the diners is in the room with DxDP.

We will all be together for TS. I've decided against the date night thing and I THINK I will just book the few that would eat like the QSDP is set up in the same room and go OOP for the others.

This sounds great in theory but can you explain the math to me - I'm not coming out with even 1 table meal per person with your idea? Also, what about lunches? I don't see how you have extra - I don't even think it would be enough for one per person each day. I have the same amount of people as you so I'm intrigued by your post!

This may be hard to follow but I know there are some really knowledgeable people here so....We are bringing our 4 adult children and their significant others to WDW in March, staying in 4 studio rooms at OKW. We have 'Ohana, Raglan Road and Sci-Fi booked for our 6 night stay. I figured out our oop costs for food and it came to $2665. That is the 3 TS meals (average priced entrees and shared desserts), CS meals for the rest (averaging $17 per meal) and one snack per person per day. I then figured out the cost if I added the DXDDP to one room with 2 people and the price is $2592 for the plan in one room, all needed cs and snacks. We would split the credits to pay for all TS meals. We would also get appetizers and desserts without sharing and the 2 mugs would be a bonus. I planned on buying 4 anyway. If we book the deluxe we will have 4 extra TS credits. Either DH and I will eat TS a few extra times or maybe I'll send two of the couples on Date Nights (the others are single siblings, they won't mind). So, I'm pretty sure adding the Dx plan to that one room is smart but am I missing a way to maximize my flexibility with the 3 other rooms? Would adding QSDDP to any room be a savings do you think?

I don't think your plan is going to work out the way you think it will. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate the DDP, it is easily one of the biggest rip offs in all of WDW (even when free). One of the biggest reasons it is such a rip off is that it is highly restrictive and full of hidden rules. The biggest problem with your plan is that people on a dining plan are not allowed to "share" TS credits with other people in a dining party who are not on a dining plan. If you are dining at a TS restaurant with a party of 8, only the 2 people who are on the dining plan can use the credits and they can only use 1 credit for themselves. The other 6 people in the party must pay OOP. You can get away with "sharing credits" for snacks and QS meals but you can't at TS because of the service style (a server taking the order and delivering each meal to a specific person). Disney doesn't want you to maximize the DDP and has thought about that. They know 2 people can't eat 8 meals at 1 time so they won't allow more that 2 credits to be used for the meal.

Sorry for the bad news but trust me, you will be much happier and better off paying OOP anyways.

Last edited:
I don't think your plan is going to work out the way you think it will. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate the DDP, it is easily one of the biggest rip offs in all of WDW (even when free). One of the biggest reasons it is such a rip off is that it is highly restrictive and full of hidden rules. The biggest problem with your plan is that people on a dining plan are not allowed to "share" TS credits with other people in a dining party who are not on a dining plan. If you are dining at a TS restaurant with a party of 8, only the 2 people who are on the dining plan can use the credits and they can only use 1 credit for themselves. The other 6 people in the party must pay OOP. You can get away with "sharing credits" for snacks and QS meals but you can't at TS because of the service style (a server taking the order and delivering each meal to a specific person). Disney doesn't want you to maximize the DDP and has thought about that. They know 2 people can't eat 8 meals at 1 time so they won't allow more that 2 credits to be used for the meal.

Sorry for the bad news but trust me, you will be much happier and better off paying OOP anyways.

This used to be the way it worked, but the rules changed last year. Follow the link below and read the section on table service meals towards the bottom of the article:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/changes-taking-place-to-the-disney-dining-plans/

2 adults x 6 nights on DxDP(3 TS/day + 2Snacks/day) = 36 TS credits + 24 snacks
10 adults at TS for dinner = 10TS/meal x 3 reservations = 30 TS credits used, 6 left over

oop costs for food and it came to $2665: did you include breakfast & lunch in this also?

There are 8 of us not 10 so we will need 24 ts credits for the 3 planned meals. I did include lunches in those totals but not breakfasts as we buy bagels etc. and eat in the room. I just realised we can do 4 ts meals for all of us and still have 4 ts credits left.

I am not a pro but it seems like a great fit for your family. Does your oop price include tip? You can also use the extra 4 credits for QS. Not the best value but since you have already met the purchase price and it is extra savings, fits your family'seating style, it works and no tips.

I didn't include tips because that would be the same number whether I go oop or DDP.
Not necessarily. Your total bill may be higher on the dining plan if you try to "maximize the value" of each credit.

There are 8 of us not 10 so we will need 24 ts credits for the 3 planned meals. I did include lunches in those totals but not breakfasts as we buy bagels etc. and eat in the room. I just realised we can do 4 ts meals for all of us and still have 4 ts credits left.

You said that your DxDP will cost $2592, is that the cost of the DxDP plus the extra expenses of the lunch & dinners not covered? That's too high to be just the dining plan. I'm confused now. lol

Not necessarily. Your total bill may be higher on the dining plan if you try to "maximize the value" of each credit.

It may be higher, but there is no tax on anything included in teh DDP. Not snacks, not meals. Yes, the plan may increase the overall cost of the food you order, but if you plan on TS meals anyway, subtract the tax on any meal and snack then add the tip. It may not be a wash, but it is close enough for me.

You said that your DxDP will cost $2592, is that the cost of the DxDP plus the extra expenses of the lunch & dinners not covered? That's too high to be just the dining plan. I'm confused now. lol[/QUOTE
That's the price of the DxDDP and oop costs for all meals and snacks.
That's the price of DxDDP plus all other meals and snacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter