• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to make a good cup of herbal tea

kerry1379

Mouseketeer
I admit that I am not a tea drinker (black/green/sweet/etc). So I fully admit I am a novice. But I do find that herbal tea tends to soothe my throat when I have a cough,cold, allergies, etc. That said, I really cannot stand the stuff. It tastes like mildly flavored hot water to me. I have tried adding honey, even milk. I have tried different flavors of herbal tea. So I would like to get the advice of herbal tea drinkers out there-is there a way to make a great cup of herbal tea? Please share with me your secrets! Thank you!

I just add hot water and that's it.
I leave my bag in as I drink it, so it gets stronger.
It tastes great to me, but it's not for everyone. Many people don't like herbal teas. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

I just add hot water and that's it.
I leave my bag in as I drink it, so it gets stronger.
It tastes great to me, but it's not for everyone. Many people don't like herbal teas. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

This. I'm limiting other non water beverages, but water gets boring.

Over the last year, I've tried several brands and flavors and have narrowed down the ones I like.

I'll splurge on occasion and add a teaspoon or 2 of sugar or Stevia or half and half or vanilla almond milk depending on the flavor.

Right now, I've got a salted caramel and a chocolate tea bag in my cup-a non sugar no calorie substitute for the caramel mocha latte coffee I really wanted.

A "good" cup of herbal tea is not a thing that exists--there's your problem :)

But I'm so glad that you made this post because I seriously hope that someone on here has some knowledge of how to make a good cup of herbal tea because I am ready to become active in the Mormon church again but I have an iced tea addiction that I will need to quit so I can hold my head up in church and look people in the eye. I think I have tried all the tea substitutes out there and nothing compares to a good cup of home brewed half green/half black iced tea with lemon, it is joy in a glass.

Have you tried Yerba Mate tea, OP? I don't care for it but some Mormons swear by it and it has a stronger flavor than herbal tea.

I love herbal tea! I take a travel mug full of tea to work everyday, and it’s a nice, relaxing way to start the day. My favorites are the peppermint and Bengal Spice (with lots of cinnamon and warm spices) teas from Celestial Seasonings. Both teas are very flavorful, but I tend to use two bags per serving and just leave the tea bags in my travel mug.

Key is to let it steep awhile. Otherwise it tastes just like hot water.

I like chamomile vanilla honey. My daughter likes Twinings Berry Fusion - no tea leaves in this so it’s just fruity.

Rooibos teas aren’t a black tea, so they have less of a traditional “tea” taste. There’s a caramel flavored one that’s good.

There are so many different types of teas that you are bound to find one that suits you. You can even just make a hot water, honey and lemon combo for your throat.

:)

Last edited:

Just took the Royal Tea Tour at Epcot on Friday. The instructions they gave us on brewing a pot of tea are:

Keep teas in airtight container so they do not pick up other flavors/odors. Brew extra tea to make ice cubes so as not to dilute the tea for iced tea. Use a ceramic tea pot and pre-heat with hot water. Follow the brew times on the package. Over-brewing will cause tea to be bitter. They said there is no difference in loose tea or tea bag variety, just a time savings. Hope this helps.

I like herbal teas, but not so much the fruity ones unless I add drops of liquid stevia. I mostly use celestial seasonings, and like pp said you have to steep 6-8 minutes minimum but I usually just leave the bag in the cup the whole time. You may have to pop in the microwave to reheat. My all time favorite is celestial seasonings Madagascar vanilla. It is rooibos, and it's delicious! I do like plain peppermint, and jammin lemon ginger is nice and spicy. I also really like their holiday varieties; candy cane lane, sugar cookie and gingerbread.

I think the key is to try less water, and or 2 teabags with a long steep first. Then add creamer/milk and a sweetener if desired. The flavored liquid stevia drops are very good.

A "good" cup of herbal tea is not a thing that exists--there's your problem :)

But I'm so glad that you made this post because I seriously hope that someone on here has some knowledge of how to make a good cup of herbal tea because I am ready to become active in the Mormon church again but I have an iced tea addiction that I will need to quit so I can hold my head up in church and look people in the eye. I think I have tried all the tea substitutes out there and nothing compares to a good cup of home brewed half green/half black iced tea with lemon, it is joy in a glass.

Have you tried Yerba Mate tea, OP? I don't care for it but some Mormons swear by it and it has a stronger flavor than herbal tea.

This is OT, but your post has me intrigued- why can't you drink iced tea as a Mormon?

OP, I prefer loose teas. I find that the bagged stuff purchased at a grocery store isn't as flavorful.
I just ordered some tea from David's Teas. I haven't tried them but have heard good things.

This is OT, but your post has me intrigued- why can't you drink iced tea as a Mormon?

OP, I prefer loose teas. I find that the bagged stuff purchased at a grocery store isn't as flavorful.
I just ordered some tea from David's Teas. I haven't tried them but have heard good things.
Mormons don't drink coffee or any tea that comes from the tea plant. It's part of a revelation called the Word of Wisdom which is mostly guidelines for good health. It also prohibits drinking alcohol, recreational drugs, and using tobacco products. All Mormons are supposed to follow it and I feel like a fraud if I'm not following WOW while actively attending church.

I agree with everyone who said to let it steep a good long time. Also, you might try rooibos 'tea'. It is a completely different plant, so it might be acceptable to your church. I like vanilla rooibos. They are pretty easy to find if you google.

Mormons don't drink coffee or any tea that comes from the tea plant. It's part of a revelation called the Word of Wisdom which is mostly guidelines for good health. It also prohibits drinking alcohol, recreational drugs, and using tobacco products. All Mormons are supposed to follow it and I feel like a fraud if I'm not following WOW while actively attending church.

Thank you for explaining, I assumed it had something to do with caffeine being a drug.
You may be able to drink some herbal tea blends as iced tea since there are "teas" that aren't made with the tea plant. Of course if it is the taste of tea you are addicted too it may be hard to find a substitute. Good luck :goodvibes

It really depends on the type of tea you are making. A black tea is fine with boiling water, but a green or white tea will be scalded by water at that temperature and it’s going to taste terrible. I love many kinds of tea but all are not created equally.. it’s just like wine or coffee. In Canada we have David’s tea which has hundreds of flavours and all different types. There’s also a company out west called Murchies that I LOVE and it has some amazing teas. I don’t know what a similar place in the States would be. Just keep trying different types and flavours and pay attention to the steeping temperature and instructions.. you can’t just dump water in a cup with it and expect it to taste good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter