How to get your Port Arrival Time, a rookie's mistake.

and thus the angst about booking your PATs, I guess

If it's that big of a deal, there's angst. Not that you can do much about it because you really don't know the demos of who is on the ship (beyond the "typical" thought that shorter cruises tend to have more first-timers and longer and/or more unique itineraries (double dips, etc.) tend to have more repeat cruisers) so there is no true way yo know how many are repeaters, how many are going to be honest about their PAT, etc.

If you're just in the "hey, I'm going on a cruise" mindset, there's no need to be angsty over it.

Personally I think that being so stressed about "Must. Be. First. On. Ship!!!!" sets up for a miserably rushed cruise where you never relax because you're afraid you're going to miss something. But everyone's different. I usually select the earliest I can just because I'm usually up early anyway (I missed the sleep-late gene) and don't want to just sit around the hotel doing nothing. I had to do that on Christmas (Miami...later port times automatically) and it was torture - luckily I had a phone call to my parents along with wifi to keep me somewhat busy. So for me earlier isn't about "doing it all" it's about not being bored in the hotel. I can certainly do it if I'm required to though.

yeah....

MUST bring bathing suit, be FIRST on Aquaduck, get good position for sail away party.....read packing lists, study menus, mdr rotations.....

I've got enough stress in my life. The vacation is supposed to relieve it...........

Guess I lucked out as a first timer. Checked in at 75 days and filled out the info that night or the next day. The 11-1130 was gone but the 1130 was there. I just checked and its still there so maybe this is going to be a empty boat!

This is our first Disney cruise, and I am completely clueless about how this all works. Unlike our trip to Disney World this past year, though, I am trying to take this one easy. But, here's a question -- if we are relying on Disney transportation from MCO (staying there the night before our cruise departs), how do we know what time to pick? Do the shuttles leave regularly or at certain set intervals? Thanks in advance for any help!

This is our first Disney cruise, and I am completely clueless about how this all works. Unlike our trip to Disney World this past year, though, I am trying to take this one easy. But, here's a question -- if we are relying on Disney transportation from MCO (staying there the night before our cruise departs), how do we know what time to pick? Do the shuttles leave regularly or at certain set intervals? Thanks in advance for any help!
The DCL transfer desk opens at 9:00, with the first bus departing when full (usually around 9:10-9:15). Subsequent buses depart every 20 minutes, or when full, whichever is first. You can go down and check in for the bus at any time after it opens.

Question.
We have another family that is traveling with us and signed up for a later time because the 1130-1200 (our time) was full. They have a 1200-1230. Think we will board together if they arrive with us? Should we all just arrive at 11? Suggestions?

We are going March 8th out of Miami on the Dream, so its a slower time of the year.
My only question about this is are you sure you have the right ship? I don't think that the Dream sails out of Miami only the Magic or the Wonder.

We have always arrived at well before our Port arrival time. Often when the terminal opens. We have never been turned away. I like to get there early to get in line to see the characters and that line tends to be very long.

I'm 99.9% certain you won't have a problem if you get there earlier than your time. Despite what people say on these boards :)

If there are a lot of Platinum and Gold members on a cruise then the earlier times may be snatched up by them and even Silvers have a hard time getting earlier times.

Platinum members don't have to pick a PAT - they can board at any time after Concierge (who are boarding #1).

Platinum members don't have to pick a PAT - they can board at any time after Concierge (who are boarding #1).

Thanks. I knew concierge didn't. I didn't know platinum didn't.

So... If there are a lot of Gold that could impact availability.

The DCL transfer desk opens at 9:00, with the first bus departing when full (usually around 9:10-9:15). Subsequent buses depart every 20 minutes, or when full, whichever is first. You can go down and check in for the bus at any time after it opens.

Good to know...thank you!

We are using Disney transportation from Disney World to Port Canaveral the day of the cruise. I want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up. As I understand it, I can't get a PAT. Is this right? Is there anything I can do to be able to get on an early bus to be able to board the ship as soon as possible?

We are using Disney transportation from Disney World to Port Canaveral the day of the cruise. I want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up. As I understand it, I can't get a PAT. Is this right? Is there anything I can do to be able to get on an early bus to be able to board the ship as soon as possible?
No. Arriving via DCL transfers means you will enter the terminal whatever time the bus gets there, regardless of whatever Port Arrival Time you select during your online check in process. You'll still get the same boarding number (tied to your PAT) regardless of what time you actually check in.

Having said that, there are times that people are not prompted to select a PAT. Mostly if they've booked their WDW resort (or Hyatt MCO) stay through DCL. Also, Concierge & Platinum Castaway Club members do not select a PAT.

If you are prompted to select one, you should.

Each resort only has one pick up on DCL transfers. The window during which the pick ups occur is around 10:45-12:30. Sometimes a little earlier, sometimes later. You have no choice what time you actually depart your resort to go to the port.

Boarding doesn't begin until around 11:30-11:45 with Concierge guests first, followed by Platinum Castaway Club members. Then they start calling boarding numbers. By about 12:30-12:45 the boarding number being announced catches up with the number being issued at check in and Open Boarding is called (anyone holding any boarding number may board). Arriving via DCL transfers you're likely to be arriving around this time.

No. Arriving via DCL transfers means you will enter the terminal whatever time the bus gets there, regardless of whatever Port Arrival Time you select during your online check in process. You'll still get the same boarding number (tied to your PAT) regardless of what time you actually check in.

Having said that, there are times that people are not prompted to select a PAT. Mostly if they've booked their WDW resort (or Hyatt MCO) stay through DCL. Also, Concierge & Platinum Castaway Club members do not select a PAT.

If you are prompted to select one, you should.

Each resort only has one pick up on DCL transfers. The window during which the pick ups occur is around 10:45-12:30. Sometimes a little earlier, sometimes later. You have no choice what time you actually depart your resort to go to the port.

Boarding doesn't begin until around 11:30-11:45 with Concierge guests first, followed by Platinum Castaway Club members. Then they start calling boarding numbers. By about 12:30-12:45 the boarding number being announced catches up with the number being issued at check in and Open Boarding is called (anyone holding any boarding number may board). Arriving via DCL transfers you're likely to be arriving around this time.
Thanks for the info.

We have 9 families. One is in Concierge. Should we all just try for the same time? The other 8 won't get to checkin until 75 days out and the ship is full. We are taking private transportation from Wilderness Lodge. Does an 10:30 pickup sound ok? idk how to advise the rest of the family. All of us first timers. And no one plans but me.

Nine families! Excellent.

That does make things a little challenging logistically. Good thing they have you to think it through for them! Did you say what ship you are on?

Private transportation sounds perfect with a group that size. 10:30 sounds fine. Chances are you can change your pickup time later if it turns out that your PAT is a lot later.

Remember that by 12:30 or 12:45, the ship will PROBABLY go to open boarding, so at the latest, you will all be able to get on then if you have all checked in by that time.

But if you want to try to get on earlier than that, a few thoughts:

Are all your reservations linked so that you can make the arrangements for all of them? I forget if you can do their pre-boarding stuff and select their PATs. They MIGHT have to do it themselves. (Anyone else remember?)

If you want to get on early, I'd say take the earliest PATs you can get, even if all 9 families can't get the same one. Often PATs will open up later, so you might be able to move the families who got the later times to earlier ones as time goes by. Even if on the day, you have different PATs, you can all arrive at the port together (most times they will let you in the building and go through security), it's just that you may have to wait if you all want to get on the ship together since boarding times are linked to PAT times, no matter what time you check in.

You could also consider boarding the ship a families or two at a time (I suggest you be in the early group). That way, part of your party can be on the ship. Not only can they be enjoying themselves, you can give them specific tasks. One group can get a set of chairs somewhere and serve as a place for other members of your group to leave their carry-ons. Another person can go to the dining room and check to make sure your MDR accommodations are as you expected, and make changes if not (you might want to be the one who does that!) Another person can go and sign people up for Mixology, tastings, or anything else you have to do on the ship. A fourth person could stake out a couple tables at Cabanas that your group can rotate through as they each get on the ship. That way, they won't have to struggle to find a table because as the next of your group comes to eat, the previous ones will be finishing and can hand over the table.

If this all seems to complicated, you can skip it. I just know that with such a large group, there is a lot to do (we had 9 people from 3 families in two cabins, and it still felt like a lot!), so getting some people on as early as possible might help to get everything done and increase the enjoyment.

For so many people, do you plan to use the Disney Navigator App to communicate? That can be another thread, though.

Easy to do! We did the same on the first cruise and actually if you are using DCL transport it got us there later anyway.

The other mistake we made was on entering the deck there is a server with a tray of drinks with lovely inviting flashing lights etc. Being out first cruise we thought how nice! A free drink.. oh no as soon as you take it you are offered to sign this expensive item to your account! I see other first time cruisers at the deck party fool for this too! Save yourselves...

1. Did you say what ship you are on?

2. Are all your reservations linked so that you can make the arrangements for all of them? I forget if you can do their pre-boarding stuff and select their PATs. They MIGHT have to do it themselves. (Anyone else remember?)

3. If you want to get on early, I'd say take the earliest PATs you can get, even if all 9 families can't get the same one. Often PATs will open up later, so you might be able to move the families who got the later times to earlier ones as time goes by.

4. You could also consider boarding the ship a families or two at a time (I suggest you be in the early group). That way, part of your party can be on the ship. Not only can they be enjoying themselves, you can give them specific tasks. One group can get a set of chairs somewhere and serve as a place for other members of your group to leave their carry-ons. Another person can go to the dining room and check to make sure your MDR accommodations are as you expected, and make changes if not (you might want to be the one who does that!) Another person can go and sign people up for Mixology, tastings, or anything else you have to do on the ship. A fourth person could stake out a couple tables at Cabanas that your group can rotate through as they each get on the ship. That way, they won't have to struggle to find a table because as the next of your group comes to eat, the previous ones will be finishing and can hand over the table.

5. For so many people, do you plan to use the Disney Navigator App to communicate? That can be another thread, though.

1. Fantasy
2. We are linked - that would be awesome if that works.
3. This is a great idea, thank you! If I specifically wanted to get on earlier do you think they'd allow one family to get on with the concierge family? I know they wouldn't allow all of us but curious if they would if it was a small family.
4. This would be a great solution as well if I had planners. lol But I do like the idea of rotating through at Cabanas. :)
5. Yes, I think so. We'll just all need each others code right? Curious though - do I have to carry around the Wave phone if kids are in kids club or can we use the app?

Thank you so much! Very, very helpful.

1. Fantasy
2. We are linked - that would be awesome if that works.
3. This is a great idea, thank you! If I specifically wanted to get on earlier do you think they'd allow one family to get on with the concierge family? I know they wouldn't allow all of us but curious if they would if it was a small family.
4. This would be a great solution as well if I had planners. lol But I do like the idea of rotating through at Cabanas. :)
5. Yes, I think so. We'll just all need each others code right? Curious though - do I have to carry around the Wave phone if kids are in kids club or can we use the app?

Thank you so much! Very, very helpful.

1. Fantasy. Same one I was on, so my answers should match reasonably well.
2. Anybody remember if you can register for people you are linked to?
3. I've heard here that sometimes they let one family that is with the concierge family. Might work. I'd suggest you give it a try.
4. I understand your difficulty, but it still MIGHT work. You don't need planners. You just need people who are wiling able to follow instructions. And remember, you are only giving each person one set of instructions. For example, "You, Martha, get on the ship and find some chairs and watch our bags and the kids as they get on." "You, Frank, take Billy (maybe a teenager) and get us a table at Cabanas, you two can start eating, just leave one of you at the table you find." You do the seating one, perhaps. The only other one is the Mixology, or tastings. From past Navagators, you can find out what sort of things they are likely to have. As a planner, you find out ahead of time who wants to do what, (don't give them too many choices). The tricky part is making sure the times don't conflict with other activities, but even that you could draw up a schedule ahead of time and block out those times. Then you would just have to give instructions to "Mary," your most capable traveling companion, that says, "Go to such and such bar, sign up 6 people for Mixology, 4 people for wine tasting, and 8 people for Cognac, but avoid these times on this chart." Worst case scenario, the reservations Mary makes can be cancelled/changed by you later that day if there is a conflic. 24 hours notice means full refund on those.
5. Once you get on, you'll be able to see your code and send it to other people. Then they "accept" you and then you can chat freely.
6. As for Wave phones, it depends, mostly on the ages of your kids. If your kids have "check out" privileges, then they can contact you any way they want or just come find you, or go back to the room, whatever you agree to. If they are in the kids club without check out privileges, the CMs can only contact you with the wave phones as of now. (This might change some day). Your kids could still contact you with the app if they have a phone/wi-fi iPod, but the app doesn't make a sound, so you'll have to check regularly. Some parents do it this way.

Have fun. Feel free to ask more questions if you like. I feel for you, planner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter