How to get Uber from MCO airport to WDW?

MJ6987

DIS Veteran
We (four adults plus two weeks worth of luggage) are going from UK in January, so post MDE. In the past we have only ever used MDE (and they don’t even have Uber where we live in the UK) so I was wondering how we go about getting an Uber from the airport to Boardwalk - I assume this is cheaper than a taxi but just as quick?

What I mean is - exactly where do we go to get it, do we order one on the Uber app when we get there (or before), how long do they tend to take to come, or are there a line of them waiting, and any other tips?

Last edited:
We (four adults plus two weeks worth of luggage) are going from UK in January, so post MDE. In the past we have only ever used MDE (and they don’t even have Uber where we live in the UK) so I was wondering how we go about getting an Uber from the airport to Boardwalk - I assume this is cheaper than a taxi but just as quick?

What I mean is - exactly where do we go to get it, do we order one on the Uber app when we get there (or before), how long do they tend to take to come, or are there a line of them waiting, and any other tips?
You request a ride using the Uber app AFTER you've collected your luggage and are ready to depart. The pick up area is outside on Level 2 and the drivers are waiting in a lot nearby.

https://www.uber.com/global/en/airports/mco/

In my experience there are always Ubers close by the airport, even late at night. Our last time we used it in Orlando our car arrived about 5 minutes after we booked it. It is definitely cheaper, although you will want to make sure you book the correct size vehicle so all of your luggage fits. This is part of the booking process so you won’t miss it.

Like the PP said you will need to download the app and book through there. The will ask for your destination and you will put in the address for the Boardwalk. The app gives you real-time updates and shows you how far out your driver is from picking you up and the approximate time you’ll arrive at your resort. Always confirm that the driver / license plate of the car matches what is on your app before loading in the vehicle. You will need to have a credit/debit card in the app so you can pay (I believe they don’t take cash). I suggest watching a YouTube video on how the app works so the process is smooth and quick.

It is the fastest AND most affordable way to get from MCO to WDW in my opinion.

You request a ride using the Uber app AFTER you've collected your luggage and are ready to depart. The pick up area is outside on Level 2 and the drivers are waiting in a lot nearby.

https://www.uber.com/global/en/airports/mco/
View attachment 621749
In my experience there are always Ubers close by the airport, even late at night. Our last time we used it in Orlando our car arrived about 5 minutes after we booked it. It is definitely cheaper, although you will want to make sure you book the correct size vehicle so all of your luggage fits. This is part of the booking process so you won’t miss it.

Like the PP said you will need to download the app and book through there. The will ask for your destination and you will put in the address for the Boardwalk. The app gives you real-time updates and shows you how far out your driver is from picking you up and the approximate time you’ll arrive at your resort. Always confirm that the driver / license plate of the car matches what is on your app before loading in the vehicle. You will need to have a credit/debit card in the app so you can pay (I believe they don’t take cash). I suggest watching a YouTube video on how the app works so the process is smooth and quick.

It is the fastest AND most affordable way to get from MCO to WDW in my opinion.
Thanks both - very helpful and seems straightforward enough. I think hopefully an XL will be big enough?

Is the pick up area signposted as “Rideshare”? Thanks

Thanks both - very helpful and seems straightforward enough. I think hopefully an XL will be big enough?

Is the pick up area signposted as “Rideshare”? Thanks
I suspect you will need 2 XL's for four adults and two weeks worth of luggage. One XL is expected to hold 6 passengers with no or minimal luggage. (Covid restrictions currently limit that to 5 passengers with no one allowed in the front passenger seat.) An XL will be a minivan or SUV.

Just for perspective, when we travel (DW, DD19 and myself) we use an XL just for the three of us.

The other thing to know is that YOU will be loading your own luggage. I've never used Uber at MCO, but from what others have posted the drivers are not permitted to get out of their vehicles to help load luggage.

Download the Lyft app as well, then you can compare prices and availability. If you download them about 14 days before you travel they quite often send discount codes.
This is a good idea. The two companies do NOT price together, so there may be some variance. There may also be better promotions available with one company.

FYI Uber is not required to load/unload your luggage. They will pop the trunk for you, but you will have to put your suitcases in yourself and remove them at your hotel.
They may or may not help unload at the hotel. That's up to the driver. Some will help, some won't, and some are unable physically to help.

Normally drivers prefer to do the loading/unloading themselves to prevent damage to their vehicles, but they are not allowed to get out of their vehicles at the airport because it would slow down the pickup line.

I suspect you will need 2 XL's for four adults and two weeks worth of luggage. One XL is expected to hold 6 passengers with no or minimal luggage. (Covid restrictions currently limit that to 5 passengers with no one allowed in the front passenger seat.) An XL will be a minivan or SUV.

Just for perspective, when we travel (DW, DD19 and myself) we use an XL just for the three of us.

The other thing to know is that YOU will be loading your own luggage. I've never used Uber at MCO, but from what others have posted the drivers are not permitted to get out of their vehicles to help load luggage.
Thanks. Is luggage allowed in the front passenger seat?

Note there are actually TWO rideshare apps available; Uber and Lyft.. They are competitors and both work the same way, I recommend downloading BOTH apps prior to your trip (make sure you create accounts and attach your credit card to avoid having to do this at the airport) and checking both apps upon arrival to see which one offering the best fares..

IN ADDITION to Uber/Lyft, traditional taxi cabs are always available so this is a good backup plan incase you have any issues with the apps.. When in doubt, just walk up to the taxi line and hop into a cab..

Hope this helps!

Thanks. Is luggage allowed in the front passenger seat?
I wouldn't think so, for a number of reasons -- damage to the upholstery, safety issues in the event of a crash, potential contamination. Luggage should go where it's supposed to go.

You have to remember that Uber/Lyft drivers are driving their own vehicles, or vehicles they have leased specifically for rideshare. In either case, they don't want to damage the vehicle, and are not going to take any undue risks.

OP, in your case, I would also check with some of the shuttle services, including Mears. They may be able to offer a full-sized van which could accommodate your entire party and all that luggage.

OP, in your case, I would also check with some of the shuttle services, including Mears. They may be able to offer a full-sized van which could accommodate your entire party and all that luggage.

This is what I was going to say. There's a good chance a larger shuttle would be cheaper than 2 XLs with Uber/Lyft, and you could all stay together. We've used Mears before to get us from WDW to Universal and they've always been good.

Are taxis the same in terms of not allowed anyone in the passenger seat?

Are taxis the same in terms of not allowed anyone in the passenger seat?
I don't know what their rules are. Nor do I know whether they are allowed to get out of the car and help with luggage. You might try the Mears website because they operate most of the taxis.

I'm sure somebody else with taxi experience will chime in and help you.

After second thought and seeing the conversation above develop, I would recommend that the OP book a private van via a service such as Mears.. IMHO, for such a big trip and that much luggage, it's worth the extra cost for piece of mind knowing that a private van will be waiting for you and be able to accommodate your entire party plus your luggage inside one vehicle..

After second thought and seeing the conversation above develop, I would recommend that the OP book a private van via a service such as Mears.. IMHO, for such a big trip and that much luggage, it's worth the extra cost for piece of mind knowing that a private van will be waiting for you and be able to accommodate your entire party plus your luggage inside one vehicle..
I’m thinking now whether to just use the Mears replacement for MDE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter