How to approach planning?

ScottyC

Earning My Ears
Well, we've finally set up our first trip to WDW since the kids have been old enough to remember it. (Last trip was about 8 years ago, when the kids were infants...)

The trip crew will consist of me (DH), DW, DD-11, and DS-9.

Well, with all the wealth of resources around -- especialy this board -- WHERE do you start? How do you go about planning an awesome trip?

:confused:

We're set up for staying 2 days off-site (1 day travel recovery and 1 day for SeaWorld) followed immediately by 5 days at the Contemporary.

So where do I go from here? I think we'll probably limit ourselves to either 4-day or 5-day hoppers. DW would like to take the kids to TL, but can't see fitting it all in with a 5+2 ultimate hopper. (We don't know when we'll be back next...)

ANy thoughts, suggestions, ideas, pointers on how to approach researching and planning?

Thanks!

Scott

I find that the more I prepare for a Disney vacation, the more I enjoy it. I try to at least have a game plan for which park I want to go to each day before I leave home, and make priority seatings for a nice meal at least every other day.

Just as important is making some plans is not to overplan. Leave room for those spontaneous moments because you never know what you will run into whie you are at Disney World.

If you haven't been to Disney World in a while, I would also recommend picking up a guide book. I like the Passporter book for the information in the guide, and the pockets to keep everything organized (i.e. a place to keep confirmations, tickets, priority seating numbers, receipts, etc.). I also find the Unofficial Guide to be extremely helpful because it gives you great descriptions of how the different rides are set up. The Birnbaum Guide is great, too, if you just want descriptions and pictures of the attractions, but I don't think it's the best guide book to get if you are getting just one.

You also may want to pick up a copy of the Birnbaum kids guide to Disney World for your kids to read. It will help them get excited for the trip, and help them get involved in the planning. I got one for my niece and nephew, and it helped them get ready for the trip, and even got them to go on rides that they might have found to intimidating by just looking at them (i.e. the Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain).

Karen

Pick up a Passporter. I found the best information in it and now Dave has his daughter Ally put her thoughts in the book also giving a kid's perspective on what to do and not to do...what's boring (in her words). www.passporter.com is where you'll find one.

Welcome to the DIS, ScottyC!! We're so glad you found us! With all the great information here, you're sure to feel like a Disney pro in no time. :)

Since you already have your resort, I'd concentrate on a flexible which-park/which-day itinerary so that you can make a few Priority Seating arrangements. Once that's done, take a look at what each park has to offer, decide on your family's Must Do list, learn how to use Fast Pass, plan for some down time, and the rest will take care of itself.

I usually plan to park hop in the evenings, since Epcot is often open later than the other parks (especially during off season). Check out Park Hours to see if park hopping might extend your days. We once did Epcot only from 5 pm on, and over the course of a week we got in 28 hours of touring while having every day open for the other parks.

Most of all, enjoy your trip and be sure to leave time for the magic to catch up with you!

Even on my 8th trip I need to have a schedule of sorts. I make a calendar, with large boxes, of the dates I will be there. In the bottom of each box I put what hotel I am staying at, including a notation on the day that I am switching hotels. Then using the early entry day schedule I pick what parks I want to go to based on my hotel location and if I want to deal with early entry. I write in the top of the box what park I will be in that day. In the center of the box is where I pick the places I want to have my meals. I make quite a few blank calendars as this lets me plan numerous versions as well as crossing stuff out and such. Once I have chosen the best one I make my Priority Seatings. Sometimes you have to adjust them when Disney adds parades and Fireworks. It is a fun process and can help everyone get involved.

Tlinden16 hit the nail on the head - be sure to leave room for some unexpected "fun". On our last trip I had planned too many priority seatings and "must do's" and I quickly learned from that mistake. By our 2nd day I'd given myself a migraine worrying over late buses and plans gone astray. The 3rd day I just let it all go-it rained that day but instead of letting it intefere we kept on going and had our best time ever at the MK. So my advice is to make a loose schedule of events and let the magic happen! Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter